The Dream, Part Three

The Dream, Part Three

A Chapter by Thomas Reilly Thornhill
"

Nero's adventure into the mind of a madman.

"

The Dream, Part Three

 

I awoke to find myself grieving uncontrollably. I was sitting on the gravestone that had destroyed my life; I clung tightly praying for forgiveness. The cool air felt as though it had frozen the tears to my face. I carried my sleeve to my eyes and wiped them vigorously in an attempt to stem the flow of water.


I had to think my next move carefully through, but I couldn’t concentrate long enough to devise a plan. I couldn’t believe what I had seen and I was desperate to eradicate the blight of my soul from the humble mass of others waiting in line. That is why I am here. I frequently caught sight of shadows and figures weaving through the darkness, helpless spirits begging for life, flittering for the attention that had pushed them away.


I stood now at a gateway of magnificent stature. Engravings that bannered across the tallest post read words of Latin. I would, on casual occasions, be able to translate the language with ease. However, with the shrill screams of the dead behind me and the fragmented blur from the tears in my eyes it most certainly challenged my knowledge. I focused intensely on the peak of the golden wonder and finally decoded the dead tongue.

 

“Halt Thy Footfall Wanderer! If One Minds That One Shall Surpass The Arch Of Solitude, Be Warned. Not One With The Air In His Lungs And The Breeze Upon Ones Warm Flesh Can Forge A Way Through Mine Entrance! Before You Lays Avernus, The Birdless Place, The Gateway To The Underworld”

 

Strangely and quite unintentionally I had read these words aloud.  The tortured shapes behind me felt the heat from my breath and began to converge upon me. Their voices were deafening and forced me to bring my hands to my ears and close my eyes. I was so frightened.


There was a chill brushing my neck as the hands of the monsters slipped over my body. Huddled up against my knees I held close to the hope that I would be alone once more. I propositioned the idea of holding my head high and facing my demons but when I did I was met with an image too disfigured to comprehend. The ghoulish spheres placed in the centre of its encrusted face stared straight into my eyes.


I wanted to get up and run but the fear had paralyzed me. The hair on my arms and neck had already tried to escape this nightmare but were tied down to my crawling skin. The beast opened its powerful jaw and swung its head back to bellow a language I couldn’t stand to hear. It then, abruptly ended and he sprinted towards me.


I hurriedly dug my head between my legs and began to cry for help, pleading for salvation. However, instead of the beast devouring me or tearing me to shreds, he burst into a thick purple fog. A minute or two went by before I thought it safe to check the vicinity of my presence.


I peered through a gap in my fingers and cleared the coast. I could feel my heart bursting from my chest. It was now so silent that even my thoughts had a ring to them, an echo. I managed to find resolve and comfort in one aspect of my mortality; I did not believe that whatever dwelled in this palace of decay could not be struck down by my hand.


My hand instinctively felt for the blade that accompanied me and sat along my belt. I pulled the dagger from its resting place and swung it in front of me shouting profanities. It was clear to me that I was merely trying to mask my fear through aggressive action but in absence of the dammed creatures I concluded that it was not clear to them. I wearied through the shadows with the blade close to my reach and stepped under the archway and into a thicker layer of blackness.



© 2012 Thomas Reilly Thornhill


Author's Note

Thomas Reilly Thornhill
Hey this is the newest addition to the story :) Please let me know what you think

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

frequently caught sight of shadows and figures weaving through the darkness, helpless spirits begging for life, flittering for the attention that had pushed them away.

i loved this line. LOVED IT!!! i was picturing it in my mind and god was it eerie. brilliant job. once again!! :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thomas Reilly Thornhill

11 Years Ago

Thank you :) This is personally one of my favourite chapters so far :D
Rhea752

11 Years Ago

definitely one of your bests :D



Reviews

very nice mate. keep up the great work :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I could only imagine that the abominations snicker at his feeble attempt to mask fear. Amazing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Thomas Reilly Thornhill

11 Years Ago

Most likely :)
The idea that Nero must literally face his demons mesmerizes the reader.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I just read this Chapter without having read the preceeding ones. (Sorry about that). Will see if I have time tomorrow.

This was beautifully written, with very powerful imagery, the description of grief very moving.
The words "I couldn’t concentrate long enough to devise a plan" brought to mind some of my own past experiences.
Very well written
Lizbeth

Posted 11 Years Ago


Thomas Reilly Thornhill

11 Years Ago

Not problem and thank you :)
This is getting good! Keep it up.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Thomas Reilly Thornhill

11 Years Ago

Thanks !
Yikes very good, very gripping. I find it a riveting read.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Thomas Reilly Thornhill

11 Years Ago

Thank you :)
Your skills are substantial, they will only be burnished by your oncoming life experiences. One minor suggestion: try putting some emphasis on writng in the third person, makes it easier to develop other characters. A good read. Bravo!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

ba_mcfarlane

11 Years Ago

As the old joke goes, "well, she's your cow." Just think of it in terms of singing harmonies, instea.. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Thomas Reilly Thornhill

11 Years Ago

It's a good point :) We'll see though cause me and my co-writer are both very picky people :P
frequently caught sight of shadows and figures weaving through the darkness, helpless spirits begging for life, flittering for the attention that had pushed them away.

i loved this line. LOVED IT!!! i was picturing it in my mind and god was it eerie. brilliant job. once again!! :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thomas Reilly Thornhill

11 Years Ago

Thank you :) This is personally one of my favourite chapters so far :D
Rhea752

11 Years Ago

definitely one of your bests :D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

602 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 22, 2012
Last Updated on July 23, 2012
Tags: dream, pain, loss, love, death, fear


Author

Thomas Reilly Thornhill
Thomas Reilly Thornhill

Glasgow, strathclyde, United Kingdom



About
I suffer from a multiple personality disorder. It had been a major setback most of my younger life but Ive found that I enjoy collaborating my writing with my other me´s. Ive been told its actua.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lies. Lies.

A Poem by SuicidePact.