Just Some Writing

Just Some Writing

A Story by James
"

Melody is on vacation in Italy with her parents. She ends up getting lost and after a while, she is thought to be dead and the parents leave Melody in Italy. How will she find her way back home?

"

It was two years ago. My family and I were on vacation in Italy. It was the middle of summer vacation of 10th grade. I remember it quite vividly. Strolling down the busy roads of Italy, stopping to look in the front window of every store. There were expensive purses, fancy clothes, and foreign looking restaurants with the smell of freshly baked food. The clear blue sky with a shining golden sun, the summer breeze blowing the warm rays of sun off the top of your head.

The streets were packed with vendors and street performers. There was a man dressed in bright red doing flips onto boxes while holding a flaming stick in his mouth. I was busy watching the spectacle, and I never noticed my parents slip away into the crowd.

As the man finished his performance I turned to where my parents had been standing. When I saw my parents replaced by total strangers walking by, I was struck by fear. I began to calm myself down, taking deep breaths while navigating through the crowds.

I looked everywhere I thought they could have been. I even went back to the hotel to see if they were there. After looking everywhere I was back where I started, looking into the store windows, but this time the only thing I was thinking is that I was 4,000 miles from home, and I was alone.



Since that day all I could think about was how careless I was. How none of this would have happened if I would’ve just paid attention. But it had already happened. I couldn't go back. As my old teacher always said, “If you can’t change the past, you can change the future.” So that’s what I'm doing.

Today is the big day. I found my parents location and I got the money. I found out that they moved to Montana and now they are living in a small boring looking house on a boring looking street with a grocery store 30 minutes away.



I check out of my small apartment and tell them that I am never coming back. When I arrive at the airport my heart is beating so fast I feel like I just ran a marathon.

I pass the security and wait for my flight to arrive. A lady comes and sits by me while I am waiting. She has bright red hair, is wearing pink jeans with fuzz glued in random spots and a purple shirt with pictures of almost every dog breed you could think of on it.

“Hey there! My name's Brooke,” she says in a cheerful tone.

“I'm Melody,” I say holding out my hand.

She shakes it quickly as if she's afraid.

“When’s your flight leaving?” I can hear a slight hint of fear in her voice.

“About an hour till I get on the plane,” I reply.

We both stand up at the same time when my flight arrives. I start walking to the line that leads into the plane. Brooke follows close behind me.

“Looks like we’re on the same flight,” she nervously laughs.

“Yeah, looks like we are,” I replied awkwardly.

As I enter the plane my heart begins to beat fast again. I remember the last time I was on one of these. My parents and ! played rock, paper, scissors and whoever lost had to test the plane food first. Thinking about them makes my eyes start to water. I quickly wipe away the tears forming and find a seat.

Brooke takes the seat right next to me. Glancing nervously at the entrance door.

“Are you okay?” I ask her.

“Oh,” she seems shocked by the question “yeah I'm fine.”

“You seem worried, are you sure you’re alright?” I ask again.

“I'm fine alright!” she yells getting the attention of everyone on the plane.

She reminds me of my aunt. She had red hair, and she loved dogs. I can’t remember her name though. I haven’t seen her in years. She moved to Minnesota when I was 6, so my parents and I didn’t visit her often. I know that she loves Italy. She’s used to spend a lot of her summers here.

“Welcome!” the flight attendant says cheerfully. “We can ensure you a safe flight to your destination! Thank you for choosing Travel Airlines!” she says exiting the passenger cabin.

I stare out the window as the plane takes off. Watching as the world below becomes distant, and my parents become closer.




I silently step into my parents room. I feel my cat walk past me as I approach my mom. I begin to shake her awake.

“What is it?” she whispers half-asleep

“I can’t sleep,” I whisper back

I watch her as she steps out of bed. She picks me up and carries me back to my room. Then she leaves and comes back holding my cat Charlotte and places her on my lap.

“Now go to sleep” she whispers while gently kissing me on the forehead

“I love you mom,”

“I love you too Melody,”

She silently walks out of my room, leaving behind her loving presence.




“Hey wake up!” yells Brooke while shaking me awake

“What?” I reply half-awake

“We’re here,”

I look out the plane window at the houses below, the dream fading away. My heart begins to beat fast again. As the plane nears the ground the flight attendant enters the room.

“Thank you for choosing travel airlines,”

“We hope you enjoyed your flight,” she says in a cheerfully.

I jump out of my seat when the plane doors open. Brooke follows close behind me.

“So where are you headed?” Brooke asks me

“A boring place called Oak Road,” I say

“Really?! That's where I’m going too!”

“I can give you a ride,” she says excitedly.

“Sure,” I say


We get into her car at the entrance of the airport. I stare out the window as the car leaves.



About  an hour later we are driving through the neighborhood.

“So which one's yours?” Brooke asks

“I can just walk from here,” I tell her

“Alright just call me if you need help,” she pauses “Niece,”

She hands me a slip of paper with her phone number on it and drives away. I stare at the row of houses in front of me. I can hear my heart beating in my ears. I begin walking towards the house with the right address.

I stumble as I walk up the steps to the front door of the dull looking house. I stand there staring at the door before finally pressing the doorbell. I hear the door unlocking. I feel the tears running down my cheeks as I see my mother's face for the first time in 2 years.

“Hi mom,” I try my hardest to say

“Melody?” she says with awe

“Yes mom,” I can see the tears running down her cheeks

She runs out of the house and hugs me tight.

“James it’s Melody!” she yells to my dad

I see him run to the door.

“Melody!” he yells joining in on hugging me.

“I love you mom and dad,” I cry

“We love you too,”

© 2018 James


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on May 15, 2018
Last Updated on May 15, 2018

Author

James
James

Dog Meat Restaurant , North Korea



About
I'm a proud worshiper of Eduardo... more..

Writing
Spooper Deleteus Spooper Deleteus

A Story by James


please dont please dont

A Story by James