Chapter One: Twin Towers and Beverage Rooms

Chapter One: Twin Towers and Beverage Rooms

A Chapter by Karli
"

The First Chapter of The Magic In Me :)

"

    All hail Princess Arabella.

    If I heard those words again, I'd shoot someone. Then again, if I did that, I'd most likely be forced to abdicate and give up my diamond tiara. My tower began to feel like a prison cell, as I was completely alone. My entire family had gone to some gala, forcing me to stay home. Allison, my favorite cousin, was stuck in her tower next to mine. Our towers were twins, connecting to one another. She refused to come visit me today, since she was setting up for a ball that she was throwing for her twentieth birthday party.

    In this kingdom, Twenty was legal age. You could do pretty much anything you wanted, including throw your own balls, or try to build a new kingdom. Not many people got the kingdom they wanted, only my family, the Rose's. There was a kingdom neighboring us, called Douglas, ruled by the Douglas family. They were wealthy as can be, and also terrible as can be. Our families loathed each other with a deep, fiery passion, for a reason I couldn't quite comprehend. All I knew was that I shared my parents' hatred for the Douglas's. Their teenage daughter, Isabel, was my worst enemy. Don't ask why, because we'll just get into a conversation not worth having.

    "Arabella," Allison stumbled into my room. Her hair was in a messy bun, and she was still wearing her glistening white satin robe. "I'm so bored. When is everyone returning?"

    "Not until ten." I lied my head back on my pillows in annoyance. We were always stranded at the castle, with nothing to do. "Tonight's your ball, though."

    "I need your help." she bit her lip and hung her head with shame. Allison was the last person to ever ask for help, especially with her own ball. "Every dress I own, I've worn twice already. You need to help me choose a dress."

    "Mother says you're not allowed to buy anything without her consent." I crossed my arms. "She won't be back until an hour after your party has started. You can always show up fashionably late."

    "No, I can't." Allison gave me the death look. "It's my birthday ball! What would I look like, showing up tardy to my own ball? Arabella, this is why you're seldom invited anywhere."

    Allison was telling the painful truth. She was the Snow White of our kingdom. Her wavy blonde hair flowed like the sea, all the way past her shoulders, and she had bright blue eyes to match. Every part of her was shaped correctly. There weren't many amazing traits about me, besides my deep blue eyes. Allison's may be bright, but mine were deep.

    "I'm going to your ball." I reminded her. "Maybe I'll meet people there."

    "I doubt you will," she patted my arm.

    Sometimes, Allison was such a snob. I loved her more than most, usually. She was my favorite cousin, and always had been. When her parents, my Mom's sister and her husband, passed away, we'd taken her in immediately. She had been no more than three when the accident took place, and Mother and Father refused to inform us on what happened to them. She meant well, but she was way too popular for her own good.

    "May I please borrow one of your dresses, Arabella? You've never worn half of your gowns!" she pleaded, grabbing my arms and shaking me back and forth.

    "Anything besides the  one hanging on the door." I granted her permission to my gown closet.

    Truth be told, I was thrilled about her party. She was exactly ten months older than I was. All my life, I had wanted to attend a twentieth birthday celebration, because they're very eventful. As you enter adulthood in this kingdom, you get to have the time of your life. Honestly, I was jealous of Allison.

    I had chosen the perfect gown for tonight's occasion. It was crimson red, with gold lacing just under the bust. The dress flowed far past my ankles, preventing me from fussing around in it beforehand. I'd probably never be able to wear it again, so I planned to have the time of my life in it.

    "What about this shiny blue one? It's beautiful, and totally matches my eyes." she had already slipped into it, and was modeling around my room.

    "Yes, you may." I crossed my legs and swept my hair up into a high ponytail. Never in my life had I worn my hair so messy, especially outside of my tower. Before I left, I'd be sure to comb it out.

    "So, Aunt Delilah is putting pressure on me to marry soon." Allison began curling her hair with my iron. "Hopefully tonight, I'll meet some handsome, wealthy man to marry."

    "Wealth and looks aren't everything, Allison." I sat next to her to examine my make up-free face. Never had I seen a princess look like such a mess.

    "Are you kidding?" she burst into a fit of laughter. "Looks may not be everything, but wealth sure as hell is. Never in my life would I marry a poor man living on the streets."

    "Would you even stop to help him?" I crossed my legs on the stool. Allison looked all stiff in her ballgown and make-up, while I felt completely content in my sweatpants and spaghetti-strap shirt.

    "Heavens, no." she shook out her thick, curly hair. "I'd be surprised to see a poor man even passed security into this kingdom. Everyone's rich around here, Arabella."

    "I suppose," I shrugged. "I'm sure you'll meet someone at least near your standards."

    "God, I hope so," she set the iron down. "Not many men I've been involved with meet my standards. They were nowhere near classy enough. I can't settle, Arabella."

    "I'm going to go get a glass of water." I couldn't stand to hear Allison's judgemental voice a moment longer. She was beginning to make me angry.

   "Just have the maid do it." Allison raised and eyebrow and rolled her eyes.

    "I'll give her a break." I exited the room before Allison could have another word with me.

    I walked quickly down the stairs, realizing I was not only looking as if I just woke up, but my feet were completel bare. Thank the Lord I'd painted them bright red this morning to match my dress.

    In the large kitchen, our personal chefs were fast at work, preparing a feast for tonight's festivities. I greeted each of them gratefully before scurrying into the beverage room beside the kitchen before anyone noticed how crappy I looked.

    To my surprise, someone was already in there. Not many people were allowed entry into the kitchen at all. Even the chefs had to remain in the cooking area.

    "Hello," I pushed my way past him and scrummaged through the cupboards.

    "Hi," his deep voice answered. "Can you tell me where I could find Princess Allison?"

    "She's busy preparing for her birthday ball tonight." I responded, refusing to remove my head from the cabinet.

    "How can I get entry into the ball tonight?" he questioned, and I felt him step closer to me.

    "Anyone is allowed entry, as long as you can make it past the guards." I told him, closing the cabinet, water in hand.

    "Thank you." he replied. "You wouldn't happen to be Arabella, would you?"

    "Princess Arabella." I corrected.

    "Could you give this to Princess Allison?" He handed me a lavender envelope.

    "I'll be sure to complete the task." I showed a fake grin and dashed out.

    "Wait," he rushed after me.

    "Yes?" I huffed and spun around.

    "Anyone can attend?" He looked down at me.

    "Isn't that what I said?" I snapped.

    "Yes, but I'm from the kingdom of Douglas." he informed me.

    Oh, no. My parents warned me to stay away from Douglas residents. Well, he was an innocent bystander, as annoying as he was being at the moment.

    "I'm sure you'll be fine. Try not to advertise that you live there." I advised him. "You're just a simple resident."

    "Yes." he confirmed.

    "Well, I've got to close." I concluded. "I'll be sure to pass this off to Princess Allison."

     I began to dash away, but he grabbed my hand.

     "Thank you, Princess Arabella." he gave me a warm smile.

    Was I being hit on by a Douglas resident? No, this had to stop. I nodded, as to say "you're welcome", and raced back to my room.

    There was no way I would associate with a Douglas.

 

   



© 2011 Karli


Author's Note

Karli
This is totally different from anything I've ever written, but hopefully it's still okay:)
Feedback is appreciated:)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

347 Views
Added on February 7, 2011
Last Updated on February 9, 2011
Tags: cousins, princesses, kingdoms, wars


Author

Karli
Karli

About
My name is Karli. Jesus. Youth Ministry. Europe. "He has told you what is good...do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God."-Micah 6:8. more..

Writing