One-Zyla's POV

One-Zyla's POV

A Chapter by Kendra
"

Zyla introduces her life and has a confrontation with another girl.

"

Sirens: loud, blaring, deafening, and high-pitched. That’s what I awoke to early this morning. I shot up in my bed, wide awake and instantly recognizing the sound that flooded my ears. My heart pounded in my chest, almost feeling like it was ready to burst out. Instantly I realized it was only the morning alarm. It was so distinct and well defined the Authorities used it every day to awake everyone throughout the fifty-story building. The sirens blared like a school bell at four specific times (including the “wake up” alarm) all the way through every ordinary day. Three were for the daily meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner and the last was at curfew to go to bed. Everyone was to eat three, entire meals and to be asleep in their own bed by eight o’clock every night. Breaking these simple rules could lead to serious consequences.

            These sirens blasted through the entire living center for nearly ten minutes straight. Due to these terrible alarms, I went to bed each night with horrible headaches and had at least one migraine each week. The Authorities�"also known as The Council�"desired for everyone to do one thing at the exact same time. That is the reason why everyone has a specific daily schedule based on their age group. Currently, I’m in the sixteen to eighteen age division, but because of these agendas given to us we have very little time to socialize with one another. That was done for a specific reason. Instead we learn and exercise to strengthen our minds and bodies. On a daily basis, I hear others complain about how strict the Authorities are, but I disagree with them. The Authorities only do this to give us the best. Besides, speaking out against them just gets you in severe trouble with the law and sent to prison. And from what I’ve heard from others, it’s awful.

            Oh, I nearly forgot to introduce myself. My name is Zyla. I live in Building Seven on the left side of Azyelia, otherwise known as Xana. The right side, Vonzela, is separated from Xana with Azyelia Wall. Xana is much different from Vonzela, in many, numerous ways. In my opinion, Xana is superior and safer compared to Vonzela. The Authorities chooses everything for you. They know what’s best. You are kept safe by them and everything is planned out for you with absolutely no mistakes or errors. There are no surprises or sudden changes that could worsen nor ruin your entire life. The authorities over in Vonzela have no idea what’s best for their citizens. They allow them to wonder and do as they please, and it is just an accident waiting to happen. The Council cares for their citizens. Vonzela allows citizens to decide themselves, as if they know what’s for their own good. Xana fears Vonzela’s government will fall soon, which will cause the entire world of Azyelia to crash and burn itself. But that’s why the Authorities have detailed, fool-proof plans to conquer Vonzela.

           

            Quickly I swung my feet off my bed and planted them on the cold, hard, concrete floor. I gently rose to my feet, standing straight in my plain, white, clean night gown. I noticed my roommate, Rilan, had already gone, leaving her bed made neatly. I padded my bear feet across the floor to the door. Quickly I opened it, slipped out and shut it close behind me. I cut through the hall, almost shoving my way past many other girls my age to get to the only, very large bathroom on this level of the building that was located further down the hall. Many girls had gathered here to change, use the restroom and freshen themselves up during any time of the day; the morning just happened to be the busiest. About ten to fifteen girls had had crowded around the only six sinks installed into the wall. Six or seven girls created a half-circle around the only mirror in the room that hung on the wall between the trash cans and the paper towels. Every shower (with cold water) was occupied and a decently long line had created and many were waiting for a very short turn. I spotted Rilan stepping out of one of the small dressing rooms on the opposite wall of the toilets and showers. Her straight, dark red hair was tied up in a tight bun and wearing the uniform of Xana. The uniform was very simple and appropriate with a white, buttoned up blouse with the Xana flag stitched across the left breast, a gray pleated skirt that lengthened to the knees and black flats with white, shin-high socks. Every female in Xana had to wear this. It was one of the few clothing items we were provided with. Our uniforms were to be worn from breakfast until the end of dinner. Then we could wear white tracksuits with a t-shirt on underneath, all with the black, white and gray Xana flag stitched on it. Obviously, we have very limited apparel options.

            I wasn’t going to bother waiting for a shower. I took one the previous night, like I normally do. The bathroom on this floor was always less crowded at that time of the day. I rarely had to wait in line for a shower. Quickly, I grabbed a uniform off the clothing rack and slipped into the dressing room that Rilan had just stepped out of. Within minutes, I slid out of my night gown and into the uniform and put my jet black hair into a bun just like Rilan’s. We had to dress quickly. Authorities search through the halls for anyone who isn’t at breakfast fifteen minutes after the morning bell had rang. I’ve never been late before. I have heard rumors from other girls about punishments for actions such as simply being late to breakfast or dinner. One said she had been locked in a confined room with just a small bed and a toilet and a dimly lit light bulb on the ceiling that shut on and off with a chain hanging next to it. The only food she had received was a small bowl of cold soup that was leftover from dinner that night. That really made me aware of how much time I took getting to each meal.

            After dressing, I exited the bathroom and shoved through the crowded halls to one of the two elevators on this floor. I hurriedly squeezed my way in with at least ten other girls before the doors shut. Once the doors to the elevator closed, I began to feel the floor below my feet move as we were down to the second floor, where the cafeteria and only the cafeteria were located. The elevators zoomed down the shaft, almost making it feel like we were free-falling and slammed itself to a stop once we arrived at the second floor, nearly shaking all of us inside to the ground. Calmly, the doors slid open, allowing us to enter the cafeteria. Hundreds of people were already here, including young adults, middle-aged men and women and brittle, old seniors in wheelchairs and using canes for assisted walking. The entire cafeteria was white. Not a speck of color in the room giving it a crisp and orderly look and feel to the atmosphere.

            The girls immediately heaved themselves past me, in a hurry to get to the lines and grab a tray before they were crowded with hundreds of people. I trailed behind them, not wanting to be one of the last people to get my breakfast either.

            The middle-aged women�"wearing the same uniform but with aprons and hairnets�"that served our meals everyday placed giant spoonfuls of scrambled eggs and two pieces of burnt toasted covered in grape jelly on my tray. The eggs were gooey and didn’t even look thoroughly cooked, just yellow slop with bits of egg shell. I wouldn’t eat it if I didn’t have to. But I had no choice due to the Authorities pacing between tables making sure everyone ate every single bite on their tray. They wouldn’t let you leave unless your tray was entirely clear. This way they made sure everyone received the appropriate amount of nutrition each day.

            See what I mean about the Authorities? They care about the citizens. They want the best for you from the moment you take your first breath, to the second your heart stops beating. We’re separated from our parents when we’re born. That means everyone is raised by the government. I’ve never seen my mother. But as far as I know, she’s living in this building. I have also been told I have an older sister, but I have no idea who she is, what she looks like or even if she lives here. Some people get transferred to other living facilities like this one in Xana. 

            I began to notice a flood of people entering the large cafeteria from every entrance. I stood there in a sea of people, looking to where the other girls had gone to sit. It didn’t take long until I had spotted Rilan seated at her usual table near the left wall of the cafeteria. Joining her were four other girls who lived on the same floor as us. I had never really spoken to them, but I knew Rilan socialized with them often. She’s always been more social than I have.

            I never had very many friends and I couldn’t really count Rilan as a friend. I’ve never taken the time to actually get to know her. I don’t know many other girls very well either. I guess I was just never the social type.

            However, I dreaded sitting with Rilan’s friends. I never felt welcomed. And there was always talk about how they disliked our government and how they wished they had freedom. Willa used to live over in Vonzela, but her family as well as many others, were brought over here and separated into different buildings. I had also come to believe that Willa was planning a rebellion. But those conversations soon ceased when I made a remark of how I thought the government was doing a fine job.

            As I approached the table, I could sense Rilan’s friend, Willa staring at me. I never understood why she did this, but she only did it to me, and it was always this dirty look too. I had once asked Rilan why Willa didn’t seem to like me, but she just pretended like she didn’t hear what I had said. It wasn’t a big deal so I didn’t bother asking again.

            There was one seat that remained empty of the round table. I placed my tray on the table but as I was about to sit, Willa spoke up.

            “That seat’s taken.” She looked straight up at me, glaring. I avoided looking at her straight in the eye and ignored her, pretending she was talking to someone else. As my previous intentions were, I sat down anyways. “Didn’t you hear me? I said that seat is taken.” This time, her voice was demanding and no longer friendly. She had an attitude of those younger girls who believed they knew everything and just hated the Authorities. I had no choice but to look up. Anger was in her eyes

            “I didn’t see anyone in this seat, so it is evidently available.” I stated. This clearly made her furious.

            “That seat is saved for Kyra, stupid.” Her tone was angrier and louder, causing others at neighboring tables to turn their heads to see what was going on. She stood up out of her seat, and leaned her torso over the table, pushing her face right in front of mine. I could hear her breathing and I feared she could hear my heart beating even faster. Her green eyes were fiery and I could almost hear her growling deep in her throat. “When we say the seat is taken, it means you’re not welcome here Zyla.”

            Rilan remained silent the whole time along with the other three girls, Oliva, Ivie and Eisla.  They seemed to have not noticed at all that I was there. Rilan’s head was down, fidgeting with her fingers and Oliva, Ivie and Eisla just ate their breakfast, but by their facial expressions I could tell that they found it just as disgusting.

            “How is it I’m not welcome here now when I’ve been sitting here with Rilan ever since we became roommates two years ago?” I backfired at her, hoping she’d be quiet and just leave me along. I stood out of my seat this time, causing her to lift her head up a bit, but still having it right in my face.

            “You’ve never been welcome here.” Willa spat in my face. This time, she spit and her saliva ended up right on the bridge of my nose, between my eyes. The other girls’ attention was now directed towards us. Their mouths fell open in disbelief. I ignored it and wiped it off with a napkin and continued with the conversation.

            “And why is that?” I crossed my arms over my chest to try to show dominance and perseverance. But this still didn’t get her to back down. She wanted her way and I could tell she did.

            But this time, her voice boomed. “You’re a little miss stuck-up, tattle tale who does everything she’s told and doesn’t have a mind of her own! Anytime someone has the smallest thing to say about being free from this indoctrinated prison, you just have to go and report to the Authorities. People like you are the reason Azyelia is the way it is, the same reason why we live in this incarcerated community!”

            I screamed back at her though. There was no way I was going to let some silly girl like her going to tell me what’s right from wrong. I was raised the right way; to stand up for Xana. “If I’m a tattle tale, then you’re a traitor! You know you’ll end up executed by speaking of rebellion against Xana. You’ll never be able to return to Vonzela like you wish you could. You would never win a rebellion against the Authorities. Who the hell do you think you are Willa?” I was disappointed in myself for going as far as cursing although it was one no one found to be a big deal.
            Now almost the whole cafeteria was quiet and paying attention to us, although a lot probably couldn’t hear what we were saying. I would have figured by now an Authority would have come to break up our argument and take Willa away. But there wasn’t one in sight.

            It didn’t matter anyway, I could easily turn her in for treason and Willa would be gone. I don’t know where she’d go, but she wouldn’t be here anymore.  Neither will Oliva, Ivie, Eisla and maybe even Rilan. I’ll bet whoever that Kyra girl is in on it too. Their plans will be foiled soon enough.

            After calling Willa a traitor to Xana, I picked up my tray and found an empty seat at a nearby table that consisted of three girls that also lived on my floor. I easily recognized one of them. I believed her name was Lennox and I was positive she participated in the same swimming activity as me.

            “Oh…umm hi Zyla,” Lennox greeted me nervously. I glanced up at her, taking notice of her appearance. Her face was heart shaped, and her hair was a chestnut brown that I could tell was wavy due to the small bumps in her hair bun. Her eyes were a sweet chocolate brown that smiled. Her skin was pale like the rest of ours and her ears were small on the sides of her head but went well with her thin lips and slim nose.

            “Hello. I apologize for intruding, but I had to escape from Willa.” I told her, taking a small bite of my disgusting, dried out, burnt piece of toast.

            “It’s fine. Willa can be a bully,” said another girl at the table. I had seen her before but never knew her name. Then I took a glance at her identification card hanging around her neck like a necklace. Aurelia was her name and her ID photo matched her round face, blue eyes and dirty blonde hair pulled into a bun. I then recognized her to be in my swimming activity too, along with her other blonde haired girl whose name was Solaria.

            By now, the cafeteria had buzzed with voices of conversation, completely forgetting about what just happened between Willa and I. The other girls were quiet, shy at starting a conversation. I needed to eat so the Authorities would let me go to my first activity, which happened to be swimming with Lennox, Aurelia and Solaria.

            “Zyla, are you going to eat your breakfast?” asked Aurelia. Her tray was scraped clean with her fork and she had a bit of egg on the corner of her mouth.

            “I need to, but I�"“

            “I’ll eat it! I’m starved!” she cut me off. I was a bit disgusted that she was offering to eat the undercooked egg off my tray. But I wasn’t going to decline the offer.

            “Have what you want. I’m not hungry.” I pushed my tray away from me and gave it to her to eat. She slid her empty one over to me so the Authorities wouldn’t know what we were doing as they were passing by. Strangely enough, they were now patrolling between the tables unlike before when Willa and I were in an argument and everyone was watching.

            “May I sit with you guys for a while at meals? I don’t want to return to Willa’s table.” I asked politely.

            The Lennox and Solaria looked up at me while Aurelia continued to eat. I gave them a pleading look, hopefully to persuade them to let me stay.

            “Yeah that’s fine.” Lennox answered. “We understand. It’s no problem.”

            “Thank you. I appreciate it.”

            An Authority eventually got to our table. He noticed our trays empty and Aurelia scraping up the last bite off her tray and told us we were cleared to go to our first activity.

            We stood simultaneously and took our trays to the front where the cafeteria ladies were washing them clean. I noticed that all of the elevators were crowded with people waiting in line.

            “Let’s take the stairs. The pool is just below us. It’ll be much faster than the elevators.” I suggested to them. They agreed and we took one of the four available staircase exits, reaching the pool for the first hour of the day.

 

            My activities went as usual for the remainder of the day. I sat with Lennox, Aurelia and Solaria at lunch and dinner. But at dinner, I had noticed that Rilan’s table remained deserted the entire time. I had just assumed they were skipping. It’s not the first time they’ve done it. I thought. I would just be expecting them to be placed into Confinement within the upcoming week.

            However, when I got to my dorm room, Rilan wasn’t there, nor had she shown up at curfew at eight. I was suspicious. Did something happen because of our argument at breakfast? I wandered. I used the bathroom one last time and changed into a nightgown before it was officially time to be in bed.

            As I was preparing my bed, there was a knock at my door, about half an hour after curfew. A tall, muscular built man stood there in a suit similar to the male uniform. His head was shaved and had a very stern expression across his face. I noticed an ID tag hanging around his neck with the name Cedric Owles and the title “Enforcer of Authority” below his identification picture and barcode.

            “Good evening.” He greeted me, holding out his hand. I gave him a firm handshake and looked at him in the eyes confidently.

            “Hello Mr. Owles. Is there anything I can help you with?” I asked politely, placing my arms and hands at my side and standing up straight to look proper.

            “Yes. Are you the roommate of Rilan?” he questioned. Something must have happened to her and Willa and maybe even Oliva, Ivie and Eisla. I feared it had something to do with what happened at breakfast this morning. Oh no, I’m in trouble. Someone must have told an Authority what happened.

            “Yes sir. Is there a problem?” I tried to act like I knew nothing of what he might ask next. I tried to show him innocence and make him believe that I was absolutely clueless about what was going on.

            “Slightly; I came to inform you that Rilan will no longer be living in this dorm. She’s being placed elsewhere. The Authority wished to inform you so you would not be worried.” He answered. She’s moving out?! Am I still in trouble? What’s going on? “I would appreciate that you did not repeat what I am about to tell you, but an anonymous source hinted to us that she and a number of others were committing treason by speaking against the government of Xana.” He whispered to me. Clearly he did not want others to possibly hear although it was past curfew.

            “Thank you for informing me of this.” I paused for a second. I was still registering what I had just been told. “This means I will have this room to myself?” I questioned him. It would be great to not have a roommate for at least the remainder of the time that I’m in this age class.

            “No. You have already been assigned a new roommate. She will be moving in tomorrow after activities and dinner. Have a good night miss.” Mr. Owles walked away and I shut my door closed. I flipped off the light and slid into my bed, covering myself with my blanket. I lied there awake for a while, thinking about my new roommate. I was expecting her to be another one of those girls brought over here from Vonzela. My life would become a nightmare if that were the case.

            Even with those thoughts drifting through my mind over and over, I gently fell into a deep slumber.


© 2012 Kendra


Author's Note

Kendra
Sorry if you find it lengthy. Please review. I really would like some feedback on my writing. I can't seem to get anyone to give me an opinion on it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
Added on October 14, 2012
Last Updated on October 14, 2012
Tags: dystopian, government, indoctrination, totalitarian, dictator, hostage, first, chapter


Author

Kendra
Kendra

About
I'm just an average teenaged girl. I enjoy reading and writing and just find literature fascinating in general. I appreciate comments on the stories I post. However I won't tolerate mean nor negative .. more..

Writing
Held Hostage Held Hostage

A Book by Kendra


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Kendra