Painting Paris

Painting Paris

A Poem by Knightingale

Fingers flecked and caked
with specks of rose-coloured paint
dance across the brushes
your father made.

Will you paint Paris
in shades of crimson and green
like the home you left behind?
Don't.
Stop and see Paris
past the surface and the gleam
there is beauty there to find.

She weeps within her bones
tired and old
for someone to see her again.
She's a lover alone
her body long sold
hoping to feel young again.

I know the Paris of your dreams
was less lonely
I know you ask
"If only there was gold to all that gleams...
...if only."

But there is beauty still
believe.
It hides within the seams
in the cracks and in-between.

Feel her breathe.
Close your eyes, Ari.
In.
Out.
Feel the stones beneath your feet.
Feel ol' Paris without
the veneer and vanity.

Feel her heart beat,
lonely and kind.
Now open your eyes, Ari
and paint what you see.

Leave the rest behind.

© 2013 Knightingale


Author's Note

Knightingale
Pour Arabelle, qui sera toujours dans mon cœur. J'espère que vos rêves deviennent réalité.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful piece! Again your mastery of the language is appreciated.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Knightingale

10 Years Ago

As always, your review is appreciated Inda. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
NA
wonderful imagery...a truly awesome piece...enjoyed :) x

Posted 10 Years Ago


I don't know French. But I love how you respected Ari. Your writing says a lot about you. I see that you are a man of integrity.. Your words flow like honey .Strong connections......Our past helps shape our future.. You may have a dent on your journey..But the hand of God is upon you..Keep moving..

Posted 10 Years Ago


I feel sorry for Ari. In her heart she probably just wanted to please .Life is like grass, in the morning it is fresh with dew and in the evening it just withers away..maybe she's just caught in the midday heat.Maybe she doesn't understand what is love...I don't think these are just thoughts.These are words that are alive. thanks Adam this is moving...

Posted 10 Years Ago


I really love this piece, you create imagery so effortlessly yet so accurately. You have true talent :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is really good, and an unique style…
Lo sai, quello che si dice quando uno ha invento qualche cosa? This is what I mean with seeing true art, and the little things. You create such a vivid painting yourself for us readers…
You tell us it’s important to stop and pause, to sniff the air, to embrace the sky, and to feel every bit of it, for it can be too late. (I like that in your writings).
I find it very beautiful in your second stanza, you create a woman, an older woman, it could be just a woman, but it could also be Paris… metaphorically you’re speaking off. (Intriguing and mesmerizing).
My feeling while reading is right, while I continue, and pause with these terrific sentences:

“Feel her breathe.
Close your eyes, Ari.
In.
Out.
Feel the stones beneath your feet.
Feel ol' Paris without
the veneer and vanity.

Feel her heart beat,
lonely and kind.
Now open your eyes, Ari
and paint what you see. “

Here you show us, that it’s art, and art should never be vain, art should be sniffed in from the heart, breathe out with passion, and felt by the core… You, and also me, my friend are in love with Paris…
That’s what I can tell you. It’s a magical city… now the painting would be art, from heart, and never be vain… this is an outstanding piece of poetry. I told you I was already in love with it, I think I recognized much in your words, of sniffing the vibe of a real moment, and then to create. Thank you my friend.

- Elisa


Posted 10 Years Ago


Knightingale

10 Years Ago

You flatter me with your kind words and your thorough review. You were right. She is an older woman,.. read more

10 Years Ago

Nice piece here... it could go in two directions... intriguing. You're very welcome always.
What an amazing piece. I absolutely loved the gorgeous images you created with such lovely language. I had intentions of giving some constructive criticisms, but honestly, I simply love every part of this poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I adored this, superbly written. This is the kind of work I would pay to own a copy of. Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Paris again! :D I love the title; it conjures up many beautiful virtual images, and the way you speak of Paris as a 'she', the personification adds a certain vulnerability somehow. It's moving the way you slipped Ari's name in there again, she is in almost every poem you write. It's very noticeable how most of your writing reflects personal experience. One can tell what this french woman meant to you at some point. Nice work :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Knightingale

10 Years Ago

She wad a big part of my life for two years. She still is important to me. I'm glad you liked it.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

621 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 5, 2013
Last Updated on August 5, 2013

Author

Knightingale
Knightingale

Blythewood, SC



About
I enjoy writing about life. Attempting to capture moments. Sometimes I write poems, sometimes stories. While some of my materials may sound morbid or cynical, I'm truly a romantic at heart. Unfortunat.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..