The Mistletoe Thief

The Mistletoe Thief

A Story by Emunah June.
"

Merry Christmas!

"

When someone steals jewlery, people get mad.

When someone steals money, people get mad.

When someone steals information, people get mad.

 

But how do you react if someone steals mistletoe?

 

Its not like it's hurting anyone. By yanking it, you're not putting one's life in jepordy. You're not stealing anything that will make it so they can't provide for themselves, or so that they can't prove who they are. In fact, mistletoe is so common that people may not even see when it's gone.

 

But Winry did.

In fact, she threw a gigantic hissy fit.

 

"THIS IS NOT COOL!!!" she screamed, stamping her feet hard against the wooden floor. I jumped in my seat, then let out a slow sigh. "It's just mistletoe, whats the big problem?" I asked, setting out a bowl of fresh cherries on the overly decorated table. Winry puffed a large amount of air in my direction, a sure sign of her anger.

 

Alphonse sits himself on the sofa, his large metal body causing the sofa cushions to cave in on themselves. "Winry, please, relax. So what if a few decorations are missing? It's not going to ruin the party is it?" he asked in a kind but confused tone. I nod in unison. Winry turns herself towards Alphonse, her white dress swaying with each movement. "This party is going to cost alot, and I want everything to be perfect!" she said, sticking her nose up at him and turning towards Edward, whom just arrived dressed up in an incredibly handsome white collared shirt. "Ahh calm yourself," he said, flopping onto the free loveseat and dangling his legs over the side. "It's mistletoe. People won't care. Besides, do you really think anybody really wants to come to party just to make out with someone?" he asked, reaching for the cherries I had just placed out moments before. "No!" I whisper, smacking his hand away. He glares at me, then waits for me to turn around before taking one.

 

Winry stamps her high heel against the floor again. "Koddaaaa, fix it!" she demanded. "Find out where the mistletoe went! The party starts in three hours, and I want everything to be perfect!!" she said, before stomping outside, slamming the door behind her. Alphonse followed shortly behind, to help her calm down.

 

"Ooooh, you're in troouubblleee," Edward laughed childishly as he popped another cherry in his mouth.

 

"Oh shut up!" I blushed, turning around and staring at him. "I just....ugh! Who would go around stealing mistletoe anyway?!" I shouted, ruffling my hair that had taken me hours to prepare.

 

He says nothing, only continuing to stuff himself with food.

 

I continue to rant. "Gah, its times like this I really wish I had a place of my own. Then I wouldn't have to participate in Winry's stupid annual parties!" Pause. "N-Not that I don't enjoy Christmas parties, it's just...well, I can only take so much, y'know? Like...sigh, I just want a place to call my own."

 

Edward sighs, leaning his head back to look at me. "Three ways to do so." He held up his fingers, raising them with each point he rose. "You can save up, you can get married, or you move back in with yer folks down in...where was it? The east?" he asked, throwing more food in his mouth. At this point I get frustrated and take the bowl from him. He groans in dissaproval, then sighs. "Fine, I have to go anyways," he said, standing up and snaking his arm around my waist to grab another. "Hey!" I shout, but the cherry is already in his mouth before I can protest further. He chews for a moment, then pulls the stem out of his mouth. "There you are," he says, handing it to me and walking away. I cringe at the spit, but notice something.

 

He tied the stem in his mouth.

Show off.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Find them yet!?"

"No Winry. I'm sorry. They aren't anywhere to be found."

"NO! No no no no no!"

"Well don't blame me! I didn't take 'em!"

 

Winry is infuriated with me. I can't find them.

But it's not my fault.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I sigh, leaning against the kitchen doorway. Where were they? If Winry kept pressing me with questions, I may just have to kill her.

 

Edward walked in at that moment, straightening his collar. "Find them yet?" he asked, touching my shoulder before sitting at the table. I sigh. "No. I dont even have the slightest idea as to who took it!"

 

"I did."

 

Edward grins when I pass him a look of dis-belief. "Wh-What!? Why?!" I shout, slamming my hands against my hips. He pretends to zip his lips shut, then todders off to the other room.

 

"Hey! I'm talking to you!"

"Or ARE you?"

"Edward! Why did you take the mistletoe!?"

 

He grins as he turns to look at me. "The military sponsors the Santa Claus meet-and-greet downtown for the younger kids. This year it was my job to bring the decorations. I was too lazy to buy my own, sooo...."

 

I grunt. "You stole OURS because you were too lazy to buy your own!?"

 

"Pretty much." He grabs a soda can from the fridge and begins to drink.

 

"S-Stop that!" I say, "Stop taking our things!"

 

"Oh?" he says, gladly handing over the soda can. "Koda, I didn't know you had such a backbone," he said, smiling as he placed a finger to my chin. "Kinda cute!" he says.

 

"G-Get out!!" I shout, shoving him away from me.

 

He laughs. "Hey, why not come down later?" he asks.

 

"To where?"

"To the Santa Claus Meet-And-Greet."

"Psh. Thats for little kids."

 

He grinned, then put his fingers in his mouth and let out a shrill whistle. Immedietly, a small girl probably no older than 5 walked in, her big green eyes piercing right through me.

 

"Then take my cousin, Vikki."

 

I stare. Since when did Ed have a cousin? Since now, I suppose. "Why not take her yourself?" I ask, "You're on your way over there anyways."

 

"Well yeah," he says, shoving Vikki towards me, "But I'll be busy. Just do me a favor and take her. She loves Santa, after all, and she's been really nice this year."

 

She gripped the bottom of my dress and looked up. "Pwease?" she whispers, and my heart melts. Between her giant doe eyes and squeaky voice, I've become putty in her hands.

 

I blush when they both look at me.

"Oh....oh....oh fine!"

 

Ed grins. "Perfect! Thanks! I knew ya'd do it!" he said as Vikki took my hand and smiled at me.

 

I glare at him as he walks out the door.

 

Jerk!

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Lets go! Lets go!"

 

Vikki was just as excited as the other five thousand screaming kids in the center of Resembool. From all around, bright lights and colourfuly dressed soldiers created a warm Christmas scene. In the center, a long line of children led to a Santa Claus in a peppermint-decorated throne. Vikki gasped, then tugged at my dress. "Lets gwo! Lets gwo!!" she shouted, and I did my best to fight off angry toddler mobs as we took our place in line.

 

I look around. Sure enough, the crystal-white mistletoe I had purchased weeks before were hanging on the street's lightposts.

 

Good thing he wasn't lying.

 

I look around for him, but I don't see any sign of him. Part of me wonders if he lured me here so he could go back to Winry's party and get out of babysitting. I look down at Vikki, who squeals every time we get closer to Santa. I smile. Well, who needs him anyway? I'm making a little girl happy. Unlike him, that no good, cocky, arrogant, unsensitive--

 

"Santa!!"

 

Vikki jumps with glee as we make it to the front of the line. I blush at all the people staring. We are making an awkward commotion. I keep my head down as I let her hand go and she jumps onto Santa's lap. They begin an audioless conversation as I look around. Some of these men I recognized, while other faces were foreign. Part of me wondered if any of them knew the real meaning of Chrismas.

 

I hadn't forgotten.

 

"Santa! Santa! You should see what my Mommy wants!" Vikki screams. I turn around, and I see her pointing at me.

 

I blush.

Oh my God!

I WASN'T HER MOM!

 

I lift my hands up in stunned surprise. "Oh uh...I'm uh...I'm not her--"

 

"Ho ho ho! Well why not? Come ho-ho-hover here Mom!"

 

I blush, and I would have walked away, but the hopeful look in Vikki's eyes made me reconsider. With a sigh of defeat, I walked over and slumped myself on Santa's leg.

 

"Well now, what do YOU want for Christmas young lady?"

 

I blush and look down. Quietly, I mumble "Why I was made to come sit here?"

 

"Oh-ho-ho? Do you not like Santa?"

"No offense, but I'm 17. I'm ah...a bit too old for Santa."

 

Santa smirks, the lowers his beard. "Hey now, where's your Christmas spirit?"

 

I blush. "Eh?! Edward?!"

 

Edward grins, and I gasp. "What?! You told me you were shipping SUPPLIES to Santa, not actually BEING Santa!!"

 

"But I didn't say I WASN'T Santa, now did I?"

 

I look over at Vikki, who takes the hand of a woman dressed in an elf costume. I blush and look at him, and he seems to understand. "Oh Vikki? Well, actually, her name is Melani, and she's the kid of a co-worker of mine."

 

"B-BWUH?!"

"Yeah I paid here. Surprised?"

"Paid here?! FOR WHAT?!"

 

He grinned and grabbed me by my chin. "So you'd sit on my lap without a fight."

 

I blushed and stood up. "W-Whatever! Just give me the mistletoe and I'll be on my way..!!"

 

"Fine," he said, "but you have to pay a toll."

"T-Toll?"

He pointed up. "Kiss me once, and you can go."

 

I blush hard. "N-No! I am NOT!" I stamped my foot, and he shrugged his shoulders smuggly. I could already hear Winry screetching in my ear.

 

"Oh fine!" I said. He held the mistletoe out in one hand and sat still, waiting for me. Gingerly, I bent forward and briskly kissed his forehead. Before he could complain, I grabbed the mistletoe and sped off, blushing the entire way. 

© 2011 Emunah June.


Author's Note

Emunah June.
What? Do I has any comments?

Uh...
BARBARA STREISAND.

OOOOOOOOOOH~

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was great!
Wonderful story.. just simply wonderful. I just loved the story line and you have done a great job! The way in which it was told was most fun to read. A real delight of season....
Thanks for sharing
It Was ALOW..... Absolutely Lovely Original Write!
Thanks for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago




Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

343 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 20, 2011
Last Updated on December 22, 2011

Author

Emunah June.
Emunah June.

Inside My Own Mind, Amestris



About
Shalom Alechiem! Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Emmy, and I've been on this site for a long, long time. There was an admitted period of absence, and for that I apologize, but I am back no.. more..

Writing