The Dream Is Still Alive

The Dream Is Still Alive

A Story by Kristan A. Mohammed
"

Just a short story that I wrote up really quick and decided to post it.

"

     The rain was pouring down like bullets as Arven opened her eyes into the partially dark room. She looked up to see her fiancé, Aiden, looking at her. He was lying right next to her on the bed. He was resting on his side with his arm propping his head as he watched her. Their small, clustered apartment was almost freezing cold. “What are you doing?” she whispered.

“I couldn’t sleep. So I’m just thinking, and watching you,” he replied.

“I’m not sure if I should blush or be scared. That’s pretty creepy.” she said with a tired smile. “ I’m freezing. Why is it so cold in here?”

 “The heater’s malfunctioning again.”

“What were you thinking about?” she said as she brought her knees to her chest and pulled the covers tight, in an effort to get warm. Aiden leaned in, draping his arms around her as he spoke.

“I was just thinking about when we were in high-school. I miss those days. I feel like we’ve gotten old and boring.”

“Yep, things have changed,” she said as her thoughts began pouring in like the rain. She’d been worried that they had lost their eyes for each other for some time. She felt like she was the only one who could feel it, but maybe he felt it too. Maybe she wasn’t as alone as she had thought.

“Hey, do you remember this?” he said as he reached into the drawer of the nightstand. Digging into his wallet, he pulled out three foggy coins.

“What are those?” she asked.

 


     Aiden’s stomach growled as he and Arven walked out of the classroom door. It was the year before they graduated and, although he had romantic feelings for her, he and Arven weren’t courting. Their friends had always teased them, making harmless jokes at his expense. They seemed to have recognized the invisible pull they both had to each other, and naturally felt like extras on the set.

     “I’m sure you can do it. But it’s gonna be really hard,” Arven said as they came to the vendor.

“Can I get three cheese sandwiches with no pepper please? “ Aiden said to the thin woman with the apron. Without saying anything, the woman began cutting the bread. “I don’t care how hard I have to work. Before I die, I’m going to live in my own beach house. And that’s my ultimate dream. Well, besides getting published.” he said to Arven.  

“I’ll hold you to that,” she said. “But if you do get it, I have to be the co-owner.” she said teasingly. He smiled as he caught on to the joke. After a few short moments of comfortable silence, he paid the vendor before she handed him a bag with his sandwiches. “Can I get an orange juice please?” she asked as she handed the bill to the thin lady, who left and came back with her order before placing her change on the counter. It was three shiny coins. Arven scooped up the coins with her hands and slid them into Aiden’s shirt pocket as he looked at her with a confused expression on his face.

 “Why didn’t you buy a mint? You always buy mints with your change.”

“That’s my contribution to your beach house. Now you’re a whole step closer to having it. And plus, I’m part owner,” she said with a playful look on her face.

 


     Arven looks at the three coins, eleven years later. She begins to blush as the memory hits her.

“Are those the same coins?” she asked. But he didn’t say anything. He let his eyes answer the question. “Oh my God, I can’t believe you still have those. I know you kept them for like a month, but I didn’t know you still had them.”

“My whole life, no one really cared what I said and what I wanted. But you listened to me. You wanted to hear what I had t say. You’ll never know how much that means to me.”

“So I guess you can say I bought your heart that day. For three coins.” She said with a sweet smile as she fumbled with the coins.

“No, you already had that. That was the day you bought my dream. That was the day you became my dream.” His eyes grew sad and dark as he muttered a few words under his breath. “I’m sorry I failed.”

“What?” she asked, turning all of her attention to him.

“Do you see the beach house?” he asked sarcastically.  He knew that Arven loved him to death, but always felt like she deserved more, and had a dark fear that one day she might realize that she wanted more than he could give.

“That was the sweetest thing you’ve ever said to me. Can we just take a moment?” she asked as she took a moment before speaking again. “We’re on our way. We just have to keep working hard and we’ll get there.” She reached out and kissed him tightly on the lips, assuring him that the dream was still alive. “And I’m behind you all the way.”

 

 

© 2015 Kristan A. Mohammed


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very well written story about love, caring and perseverance. Your characters were real and I felt their need for each other. Nice work with using subtle everyday memories which carried strong feelings in building your characters relationships. You have a distinct style of story telling that is down to earth.I really enjoyed this story.
Richie.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

385 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 18, 2015
Last Updated on December 18, 2015
Tags: love, dream, peace, ocean, house

Author

Kristan A. Mohammed
Kristan A. Mohammed

Arouca, Caribbean, Trinidad and Tobago



About
I am trying to uncover the enigma of the human emotion through poetry and other forms of writing. I think that the human mind and emotion is quite interesting to i have based my inspirations on it. more..

Writing