A City of Lights

A City of Lights

A Story by Krisen Lison
"

Wrote this for a contest, kind of dark flash fiction

"

She sat calmly on the edge, the world around her seeming to sit at a standstill. The cars moved below, but from up here they looked as if they only went at a snail’s pace. Her reflection could be seen in the glass behind her and the pools of water gathered on the cement surface. The city glittered beneath her, a perfect fairy land of lights.

          

She was up here for a reason, this beautiful city would be the last thing she ever saw. The wall of dark clouds above echoed the turmoil boiling within her. There was a storm brewing in her heart, one that was a long time coming.

          

She rose to her feet slowly, no one below even bothering to notice. She stepped to the edge, peering down. Her toes touched air and she shuddered. This was it, the one way she would obtain true freedom from the torture. She closed her eyes tight, breathing in the scent of rain. No turning back now.

          

She inched one foot off the ledge and spread her arms like wings, letting herself tumble over. She opened her eyes as she flew, watching the faces of the men and women in their apartments as she fell head first to the ground. Down all twenty stories, her hands slowly pulled together as if attempting a dive into a pool. She plummeted to the cold, wet sidewalk below, and then, just as suddenly as she had been born, she was no more.

© 2013 Krisen Lison


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Although the reader knows it's coming that last line into the wet concrete was still very jarring. I couldn't help but wonder if she had changed her mind on the trip down. You gave the fall depth by adding the details of what she saw- I like this.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very good. My first thought was of the first Lethal Weapon movie, which is awesome :).

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 8, 2013
Last Updated on May 11, 2013

Author

Krisen Lison
Krisen Lison

About
I'm a poet, erotic writer, novelist, and short story writer. My free time is filled with the written word, flowing both from my own pen and from the many books I read. I tend to keep to myself, but if.. more..

Writing
Drowning Drowning

A Story by Krisen Lison