Letting it rain

Letting it rain

A Story by The fallen of innocence
"

For a school project, I had to write a story in a different point of view, this is what I wrote.

"

 

          Papa was still far off the gate when I ran to greet him, anxious to know how this horrible drought would end. “What is the news, oh great chief?” My dear father held out his hands for me but he was silent, strange, he usually is not cold like this.

 

            I ran back to tell the other villagers to tell them of his return, it has been too long since the rain fell. Crops were failing and our cattles were dying one by one. Asagwa keeps saying that we will be next but I doubt that will happen.

 

Once Papa got here, he just simply went to his hut instead of calling us. Was the news he received that horrible, I don’t know. After awhile, he came out and gathered everyone, but he told me to go to my grandmother’s hut. I did what he wished, but I’m curious what they would be talking about.

 

I tried to listen to what they were discussing but failed, her hut was just too far away. “Must be about my marriage if they don’t want me to know,” I told myself, letting a smile spread across my face. Oh, even with the mention of my name, several men can do nothing except swallow their spit.

 

There was Kech,  son of a clan elder from a neighboring village. Such sweet eyes and a wonderful laugh, he would make a wonderful father. Yet, it would never work out; he was a bit too short to ever be my husband. How humiliating it would be to have to look down at him every time I talk to him.

 

Dimo would ask for my hand, he is already known as a brave warrior and an amazing wrestler. Though when I think of him I just can help but imagine a horrible husband. Always quarreling and just waiting to fight, not the husband I would ever want.

 

Looking and playing with the brass made me think of Osinda, long ago when I was a young he gave me the chain.  I could have worn it around my neck several times, but I wanted it to stay permanently so I wrapped it around my waist. My heart pounded just thinking of him, I hope my family agrees that he’s the one I shall marry.

 

Suddenly, a sharp knock startled me; it was my grandmother who was standing there in the doorway. “Grandma, you scared me,” I laughed as I looked at her, “tell me, was it my marriage you were talking about? You can be sure I won’t marry any of them.” I want her to tell me now who I was to wed, so I could hear that they were pleased with Osinda.

 

Outside, I noticed my relatives dancing and singing, running to the hut, and carrying several gifts to give them to me. As I got closer I managed to hear what they were singing about, about my death bringing the rain. Was I mad; was it my death they were singing so joyfully about?  “It’s not about marriage then?” I asked to my grandma, the look in her face brought me fear. I don’t want to die; I have to fight for my life.

 

I fled trying to escape, knocking my poor grandmother to the ground. As I ran I noticed my father, standing motionless, with his hands at the back. He led me away from the crowd to the hut my mother was resting in. There he told me the news officially to me. For a long time, we didn’t speak; there was nothing good to talk about. Soon they will take me away from my parents.

 

At sunset, several relatives and friendscame to congratulate me and give me gifts, claiming it was a great honor to die for this country. They prepared a great feast for me; they even brought dancers from all ages to dance before me. Strange, I feel like a stranger within the people I knew my whole life. Do they know how it feels to know you will die young, and if they claim they love me why not try to save me? I burst into tears when several girls my age started to dance, they would soon marry and have families while I was sentence to death. I held on to my chain, I wonder where Osindais? He must be ill, but I’m glad he gave me the chain; it would be with me even as I wear it to the underworld.

 

When it was time to depart and every minute was precious. It took a day’s journey to reach the lake; I had to walk all night, passing the great forest. The sacred oil was already smeared across my body. In the afternoon, everyone came to the village gate to say good bye, it was horrible. Tonight all my dreams were going to endsoon, and my parents knew this sadly. “Whenever you miss me, look at the sunset, I’ll be there,” I whispered those words to comfort my mother, who will lose her only child tonight.

 

After I made my goodbyes to my family I started my journey and walked through the great forest. I didn’t rest until it was about midnight, but I knew that the way to the lake was far longer. When I woke up, it was morning and a sign to continue on my journey. For hours I walked until I saw a large crowd that stood just outside the borders of the holy land. Then a young girl ran to me and handed me an earring. “My sister died and I want you to have it so you can give it to her.” The request was odd but I heard that there were some people that have lost their loved ones that do this type of thing, so I took the earring. I also handed food and water to the little girl; I wasn’t going to need it anyways.  Everyone else had looks of pity but I knew that they just cared for the rain to come, and that my death will let the rain pour.

 

As soon as I set foot in the holy land, my entire body told me to run, but I kept telling myself to think of my people and their wish to let the rain come. Suddenly, the hard ground became soft and sandy, and the water from the lake has retreated several miles. As soon as I touch the lake the monster will devour me and rain will be brought into the land. For some reason, I felt as if someone was following me, was it the monster? I looked around but saw nothing, was the monster here? The sun was setting now and fast, no, I have to reach the lake before the sun sets. I ran giving it my all; I had to do this, for the sake of this country. I looked back and saw a blur following me, I ran faster but it caught me and everything went black.

 

The gentle breeze from the lake woke me up and I looked up to see Osinda holding me. I tried to speak but no words came out of my mouth, he then poured water in my mouth which I swallowed.

 

“Osinda, let me die for our people. Let me die before the sun sets so we can get rain.” He held the chain he gave me so long ago and wiped the tears that fell from my eyes. “We must escape to the unknown land. We have to escape from the wrath of our ancestors and the monster,” he said with the outmost urgency. It surprised me, he wanted to escape from this land with me, who is now a cursed woman.

 

“But I am cursed,” I protested, “and no matter what the ancestors will always watch us and we could never escape the monster’s wrath.”  He placed a coat that covered everything but my eyes, he then grabbed my hands and we ran away from the sacred land. I didn’t dare to look back at the setting sun, fearing the monster will get us, but Osinda comforted me, even when darkness surrounded us.

 

I wanted to cry for my family and our people, I was their only hope in bringing the rain. Suddenly, a flash of lighting hit the sky, bringing dark clouds filled with rain. I smiled now knowing that they will get rain as I ran with my beloved Osinda to a far away land.

 

© 2013 The fallen of innocence


Author's Note

The fallen of innocence
Original Story is The Rain Came by Grace Ogot


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on March 12, 2013
Last Updated on March 12, 2013

Author

The fallen of innocence
The fallen of innocence

DE



About
I'm a girl that likes to write, read, and listen to music. Poetry is my most favorite type of writing. I also love anime, my poetry is also on deviant art. I don't care if im different, I'm myself. I .. more..

Writing