The Flames

The Flames

A Stage Play by Jessica R.
"

England, winter 1556, Marry Tudor is Queen. The Spanish Inquisition has come to London and no one, no noble, merchant, or peasant, is safe from its grasp.

"
Characters:
Lady Anne Howard
Charles Howard, Duke of Norfolk
Chief Inquisitor Leandro Vivero
Princess Elizabeth Tudor
Queen Mary Tudor
Priest

------

England, winter 1556, Marry Tudor is Queen. The Spanish Inquisition has come to London and no one, no noble, merchant, or peasant, is safe from its grasp. The scene takes place, in Lady Anne Howard's apartments. She and her brother, Charles Howard, are having a conversation.

(Enter Charles and Anne Howard)

Charles: Anne, we must be careful. The Inquisition could come for us at any moment. They are burning heretics left and right.

Anne: I know this, Charles. Do you think me not afraid? For if you do then you are a fool.

Charles: Oh Anne, this is a serious matter. You should dispose of your quick tongue and become more of a silent lady near the queen.

Anne: (Looking at him sharply) Dispose of my quick tongue? Whatever do you mean, brother?

Charles: You are getting more and more like our cousin, Anne Boleyn. You should be careful how you use your wit, or you will end up with your head on the block and buried at Tower Green. If not for heresy, then for your sharp use of words. The whole palace knows you are intelligent. You should not parade it around a moment longer.

Anne: Oh honestly Charles, you do worry too much. I do not parade it around the palace. I demonstrate it when needed. And we are good Christians. We attend church ever Sunday. We watch as the Host is raised and do not fall asleep during the mass. (Laughs softly) Although I do not see the point in watching that silly thing, nor do I like the idea of envisioning Christ as bread or wine. It is silly. And I do not believe that the pope is in anyway connected to God. Money yes, but not God.

Charles: Anne! You silly woman! Watch what you say. Anyone could have overheard you. I do not know what is in your head sometimes.

Anne: Overheard? How? Through the wall? Or perhaps through the thick floor and the layer of carpet on top? Calm yourself Charles. No one will overhear us in our own apartments. No one would consider us heretics either. Although we are Protestant, we are not exactly clinging to our religion with all of our strength. It was an easy transition for us when Mary took the throne. She knows this and does not care.

Charles: Yes, but our cousin Elizabeth did not approve.

Anne: No, she did not. But she is protected because of who her father was. We are not. We had no choice. I would rather have not given Mary the satisfaction, but one must do what is needed in perilous times.

Charles: I still worry.

Anne: As we all should. No one is safe while Mary is queen and married to that Spaniard. Calls himself king. He's king of England the moment I see God walking in the garden below our window.

Charles: Now who needs to calm herself? Do not get into this subject, no one should.

Anne: You are right. You had better go. Your wife will be wondering where you are.

Charles: I wish I did not have to see her everyday, or at all for that matter. She is always throwing herself at me like a little w***e. She thinks it will make me love her. But no amount of ale would make me love that insufferable woman. (Laughs heartily) She is jealous of you. I find that absolutely amazing.

Anne: Jealous of me? Why?

Charles: Because I am closer to you than I am to her. Well I would expect it. You are after all my sister and I love you unconditionally. And I will never love her, not even if I am an inch from death.

Anne: (Laughing with Charles) I never really liked her you know. She is so terrible, and thinks herself to be the most amazing woman in all of England.

Charles: (Smiling) How very true. I shall see you later this evening. Be careful and watch what you say, Anne.

Anne: I will.

Charles: I am only watching out for you. Who else would, with our father dead and mother in Norfolk? You know I love you dearly.

Anne: I know. I love you too, Charles. (Smiles at her brother)

Charles: I must bid you adieu for now, faire sister. (Kisses her hand, then her cheek)
Anne: Until the evening then.

(Exit Charles)

(Anne stands looking after Charles. She goes to pick up her book when there is a knock on her door)

Anne: (Going to open the door) Who is it?

(Enter Chief Inquisitor with his party and the priest)

Chief Inquisitor: I am the Chief Inquisitor, Leandro Vivero. May we come in?

Anne: (Speaking calmly but tensely) You may enter.

Vivero: Thank you. Please take a seat, my lady.

Anne: May I inquire as to the reason you have come to my apartments?

Vivero: You are Lady Anne Howard are you not?

Anne: (Hesitantly) Yes, but why are you here?

Vivero: Take a seat, Lady Howard. (Speaking to another) Go get the Queen.

(Exit man)

Anne: What is going on? Am I to be questioned?

Vivero: Please take a seat Lady Anne, and calm yourself. I shall return in a moment.

(Exit Vivero)

Priest: Lady Anne, please seat yourself. It would be better if you were seated and composed when Chief Inquisitor Vivero returned.

Anne: Oh, very well. (Looks at the priest sharply) Why are you even here, Priest?

Priest: I am here to merely observe and help Senor Vivero.

Anne: And that is all? You are not here to judge me or assist in sentencing me to death?

Priest: (Smiles) No Lady Anne, just to observe and help with the questioning.

(Enter Chief Inquisitor. Anne is on a chair in the middle of the room.)
Chief Inquisitor: Lady Anne Howard, you are here under the charge of heresy. Someone has reported that you looked away from the raising of the Host during mass on Sunday last. Is this true?

Anne: (Frightened, yet composed) No, this is a false accusation. I did not take my eyes from the Host. I would not dare, nor would I want to.

Vivero: Why wouldn't you want to? Are you not a Protestant?

Anne: I was a Protestant, but I am now Catholic. When Queen Mary took the throne I converted to the true faith. And simply because I used to be Protestant does not mean I would want to look away from the elevation of the Host.

Vivero: I see. This is your plea?

Anne: (Stiffly) Yes. I am innocent of the charges brought against me.

Vivero: Are you not related to the Princess Elizabeth?

Anne: (Startled) What?

Vivero: Is not the Princess Elizabeth your cousin?

Anne: Yes, but what has that to do with heresy?

Vivero: (Very coldly) She is a Protestant. Are you not in contact with her?

Anne: Yes, we speak and send letters to one another.

Vivero: Very well. Who are your parents?

Anne: Duke and Duchess Howard. My father passed away from illness but my mother still lives.

Vivero: Do you have any siblings?

Anne: Yes, my brother Charles Howard, Duke of Norfolk.

Vivero: Is he here in the palace?

Anne: Why? You are not going to take him, I will not hear of it.

Vivero: Whether you will hear of it or not is not the issue. Is he here?

Anne: (Very coldly) Yes, he is.
Vivero: (To another man) I want you to fetch Charles Howard for me. Tell him Anne and I would like to see him. When you return, send him and Queen Mary into the room.

(Exit man)

Vivero: Would you like some ale while we wait, Lady Anne? Some wine perhaps?
Anne: No, thank you. I am fine.

(Enter Charles and Queen Mary)

Charles: Anne! (Turns to Vivero) What is the meaning of this? Why are you holding my sister here?

Vivero: We are not holding her. We are questioning her.

Charles: For what purpose?

Vivero: For heresy. She is accused of being a heretic and I am here to decide whether or not that is true.

Queen Mary: Please take a seat, Charles.

Charles: Your Majesty, my sister is not a heretic. She is one of your ladies, you know this. We are both Catholics.

Mary: That will be determined today. I do not want heretics under my own roof! Please sit down, Lord Howard.

Charles: We have done nothing wrong. I�

Anne: (Cuts her brother off sternly) Charles, sit down.

Vivero: Now, let us continue. Do you believe in God, Lord Howard?

Charles: Yes, I believe in God.

Vivero: (Smiles) Lady Anne, do you believe in God?

Anne: (Indignantly) Of course I believe in God.

Vivero: No need to feel wronged my lady.

Anne: And why should I not? You sit me down, call me a heretic, question me about my family, and have the nerve to ask if I do or do not believe in God.

Mary: Anne, let Senor Vivero do his job.

Anne: Forgive me Your Majesty, but I have been insulted in every way possible. I have not committed any crime and I am certainly not a heretic. I do not see a logical reason as to why Senor Vivero should be in my apartments at all.

Charles: (In a cautioning tone) Anne�

Vivero: (Angrily) Lady Anne, you will hold your tongue! Lord Charles, you should have taken it upon yourself to teach your sister her place as a woman.

Anne: (Stand ready to rage) My place as a woman! Because I am a woman does not make me incapable of thinking for myself nor doing anything else for that matter.

Mary: Lady Anne! Control yourself. You will not speak to Senor Vivero in such a manner.

Anne: (Coldly) I am sorry, Your Majesty.

Vivero: Perhaps we should resort to another way of questioning. We are getting no where.

Mary: No, I forbid it. She is noble born and a lady. I will not have it Senor Vivero. You will continue questioning her calmly and rationally. I shall return.

(Exit Queen Mary)

Vivero: (Turning to Anne) Please return to your seat, Lady Anne.

(Anne sits back down)

Vivero: Do you attend church regularly?

Anne: Yes, I do.

Vivero: Every Sunday?

Anne: Every Sunday, even when I do not feel well.

Vivero: You are afraid not to?

Anne: (Smiles slightly) Who would not be? Even the most devout of Catholics would not dare miss mass if they were ill. Not in our England.

Vivero: Is that so?
Charles: Anne speaks the truth. So much fear has gone through all of England with your arrival. The people are terrified.

Vivero: Good. I am glad that something has come of my being here. The people who have nothing to hide, however, should not be frightened. If they are indeed true Catholics, then they have nothing to fear.

Anne: Senor Vivero, England is no longer a safe place, you have made sure of that. Wherever you go, fear and death follows in your wake.

Vivero: Is that what you really think?

Anne: That is what I know.

Vivero: Lady Anne, if you disapprove of my duty�

Anne: Your duty?

Vivero: My duty to God and the His Holiness the Pope to seek out the guilty and punish them.

Anne: There is no duty in what you do. No one is guilty because they are of the Protestant faith. All you are doing sir, is finding innocent people, declaring that they are guilty, and burning them for no reason at all except for their being Protestant. Or Jews for that matter! You speak of justice yet you have none.

Vivero: You are protecting Protestants, Lady Anne? That is heretical in itself.
Anne: There is no heresy in it because I am not protecting Protestants. I am protecting innocent people who have gone to their death or will soon be sentenced to it. But know this, when they die, they will meet God in heaven. But when you die, you will burn in the fires of hell.

Vivero: (Smiling) Yes? And how do you know this?

Anne: Because, that is where murderers are sent. (Smiles contently)

Vivero: (Sharply) Enough from you for now. Lord Charles, do you attend mass regularly?

Charles: Yes, I attend with Anne and�. (with disgust) my wife.

Vivero: Have you ever been absent from church?

Charles: Once, because I was not feeling myself that day. The doctors thought it was the plague, but it was nothing of the sort.

Vivero: You have missed church only once?

Charles: Yes, just the one time.

Vivero: Have you ever taken your eyes from the elevation of the Host?

Charles: No, never.

Vivero: And do you share your sister's ideas about religion and the innocence of the people who have died for it?

Charles: What do you mean, ideas?

Vivero: (Raising his voice) Do you or do you not believe that those who are not of the true faith are guilty and deserve to die?

Charles: (Hesitantly) I do not.

Vivero: (Surprised) You do not? What mean you?

Charles: I do not believe that they should have burned because they were Protestants. You might have given them a chance to turn to the true faith.

Vivero: (Coldly) We did, but they did not take it.

Charles: Then you should have sent them to Germany or some other country which tolerates Protestants.

Vivero: No! We do what is necessary. If we were to merely let them go, it would have made the Inquisition look weak, and the world would still be filled with heresy.

Charles: Senor�

Vivero: That is enough, Lord Howard. I do not think you a heretic. You are free to go.

Charles: My sister?

Vivero: That is yet to be determined. Now go.

(Charles looks at Anne.)

Anne: Go, Charles. Send word to our mother and tell her of your Catholic faith.

Charles: Anne, I do not want to leave you.

Anne: You must. Remember Charles, one must do what is needed in perilous times. You need to go, and thank God for his kindness towards you. (Smiles at Charles) I love you, now go.

(Exit Charles)

Vivero: How touching.

Anne: Because you do not know warmth, kindness, or love, does not mean you have the right to mock it.

Vivero: From my time spent with you, you are as cold as ice and sharp as a snake. Yet, you surprise me.

Anne: And why is that?

Vivero: You speak to me with hate and disgust, but you are very loving and caring towards your brother. I did not think you capable of such love because of your manner towards me.

Anne: It is not so far fetched, indeed, it is quite simple. I love my brother. I grew up with him. You however, I do not know, nor do I ever wish to know you. Will you now question me for being cold as well as a heretic?

Vivero: No, I will not. (Pauses to look at Anne)

(There is a knock on the door)

Vivero: Yes?

Priest: Senor, it is the Princess Elizabeth.

(Enter Princess Elizabeth)

Princess Elizabeth: Why are you questioning my cousin?

Vivero: (Icily) I am trying to discover if Lady Anne is a heretic.

Elizabeth: And why would she be?

Vivero: Because, she is of the Protestant faith.

Elizabeth: And that makes her a heretic? She has turned to the (mockingly) true faith, so she would no longer be considered a Protestant, much less a heretic.

Vivero: Princess Elizabeth, do not come here and presume that you can intervene on my proceedings.

Elizabeth: And do not presume Senor, that you may speak to me in such a manner. No matter my faith, I am still the Princess. (Turns to Anne) Are you alright, Anne? Has he done anything he should not have?

Anne: No, nothing besides insult me and wound my pride.

Vivero: Wound her pride? (Pointing to Anne) That woman has enough pride for all of England. Nothing and no one could wound her pride. She is even more proud than your father, King Henry. God rest his soul.

Anne: I could have said the same thing about you, Senor. But you are more cold hearted than I and I fear your head to be too large.

Vivero: Lady Anne, must I again remind you to mind your tongue?

Elizabeth: (Laughing softly) Anne needs no reminder. And if she does, you are not the one to give it to her. I shall stay and oversee your proceedings, Senor.

Vivero: Very well, but you will not interrupt me. If you do, I shall have to ask you to leave.

Priest: Please find a seat, Your Highness.

(Enter man)

(A note is given to Vivero)

Vivero: Lady Anne, I have just been informed that you do not hold with the Catholic beliefs. Is this true?

Anne: Catholic beliefs? How do you mean?

Vivero: Do you believe what the priests and bible tell you?

Anne: Senor Vivero, I have no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps you should explain your question further.

Vivero: (Smiles) Perhaps.

Anne: Or, you should make your intentions known.

Vivero: My intentions?
Anne: What are your plans for me, Senor? This questioning is just for show, is it not? If what I fear is true, then you have condemned me from the start.

Elizabeth: (Looks to Vivero sharply) Does my cousin speak the truth?

Vivero: No Princess, Lady Anne is simply paranoid. She does not speak truth, just her fears.

Anne: I do not think so.

Vivero: But what you think does not matter. Your religious beliefs, however, do. Shall we continue, or would you like me to make my decision at this moment?

Anne: No, proceed with your charade. Though I sit condemned as guilty, I will prolong my life by means of this questioning.

Vivero: (Raising his voice) Lady Anne, do not presume to know things I do not or state things that are false.

Elizabeth: Senor, contain yourself. Do not raise your voice. What good are you angry and rash? Be calm.

Vivero: (Shooting Elizabeth a poisonous look. Sighs) Lady Anne, do you or do you not uphold the Catholic beliefs?

Anne: I do not understand your meaning.

Vivero: Have you ever said a word against the pope?

Anne: (Hesitantly) No.

Vivero: Why did you pause?

Anne: I did not pause�

Vivero: Yes my lady, I am afraid you did. You were hesitant when answering. What have you said?

Anne: Nothing.

Vivero: Please make this easier on yourself, Lady Anne. What have you said?

Anne: (Nervously) I�I have�I merely said� (Sighs) I have said that he takes the money from our pockets to make his palace great. It's ridiculous.

Vivero: You do understand, my lady, this is a heretical view.
Anne: Yes, I know this.

Elizabeth: Senor Vivero, Anne speaks naught but the truth. This is what most believe. I am quite sure that you believe this as well. Even if it is nothing but a thought pushed to the back or your mind. There are books written about how the Church should be reformed.

Vivero: Heretical books! I assure you my lady, that you are quite mistaken. I believe no such thing. The Pope must be respected.

Anne: And why is that?

Vivero: Because he is connected to God, Lady Anne.

Anne: He is connected to God the moment my father comes back from the dead, God rest his soul. The Pope is no more connected to God than I am
.
Vivero: Heresy!

Anne: (Passionately) Are we all not connected to God? Do we all not pray to Him, and ask His forgiveness? Are we all not His children? Do not all of God's children have the right to be with their Holy Father? We do not need another man to tell us that we are forgiven by God. It is a ridiculous notion!

Vivero: This is what Protestants see in the Catholic faith? This is what they think of the Pope? Do you have no respect for your superiors and your betters?

Elizabeth: What makes the Pope our better? What makes him our superior? Because he is connected to God?

Vivero: Well�

Anne: And what of the rest of us? Are we to be nothing while the Pope sits in his lavishly decorated apartments and fattens himself? Is that what has really become of the people of Europe? What a long way we have come. From nothing, we rose to power but then fell at our greatest hour. Great Harry, was one of the greatest Kings of the age, and his son Edward would have made him proud. Though he died young, he was a good king. I do not mean any disrespect for our Queen Mary, but she has turned this country inside out. There is blood on her hands, as there is on yours. The people no longer trust their ruler. They start riots and rage for days. She has made this country poor, and punishes those who steal to sustain themselves. Mary has made the people of England convert to the Catholic faith so they may survive, then turns around and executes those who did not convert fast enough. This is a sad world we live in.

Elizabeth: Yes, how true that is. I have done nothing, yet she sent me to the Tower. I converted, and now I can no longer walk proudly through my own country for shame of what I have done.

Vivero: This is what you truly believe?

Anne: This is what we know to be true.

Vivero: I had no idea what was happening in England.

Anne: And you thought us to be two witless women, did you not? But we are not unintelligent. We have sense enough of what to say to whom and where. We can contemplate and come to a conclusion about what is going on in England of our own accord.

Vivero: I am�(clears his throat) We must keep going. It will soon be night, and I should like to have this whole business sorted out.

Anne: As would I.

Vivero: What other beliefs do you hold about the true faith?

Anne: If I display them, then I shall surely burn.

Elizabeth: Please Senor, do not make her say them. You heard what you needed about her beliefs of the Pope, do not make her voice her opinions of Catholic religion as well.

Vivero: (Looking away) It must be done. This is my duty. I was told to question to the full extent, and I will follow my orders.

Anne: Very well then. I do not believe the elevation of the Host is important, nor do I enjoy watching it.

Vivero: (Hesitantly) Is that all?

Anne: No, it is not. I do not think much of that silly tradition; envisioning Christ as bread or wine. It is unnecessary.

Vivero: (Quietly) You do not?

Anne: I do not.

Vivero: And why is that? He said it Himself, did he not?

Anne: Yes, but I do not believe it to be true. And how people can, I do not know. It is absolutely preposterous.

Vivero: Lady Anne, what you speak is heresy. You could burn for this.

Anne: (Looking straight at him) I know it.

(Vivero gets up from his chair and walks to one side of the room. He turns to face Anne.)

Vivero: These are your firm beliefs?

Anne: They are.

Vivero: Has anyone but myself, the Priest, and the Princess Elizabeth heard you say this?

Anne: None but my brother.

Vivero: And I could not turn you from them?

Anne: (Smiling) No, you could not. No one would be able to, not even God Himself.

Elizabeth: It seems my cousin and I are of one mind. (Turning to face Anne) The Queen will not approve of this, you know that Anne. She will not tolerate having a heretic as one of her ladies, much less under her roof.

Anne: Yes, I know. But I do not think she will have to see me ever again. Am I correct in my assumption, Senor?

Vivero: (Grimly) I am afraid so my lady. This is indeed a very grave matter. Is there anything else you have to add about your beliefs?

Anne: I do not think that our money should go to the churches or to the Pope.

Vivero: Why is that?

Anne: Because Senor Vivero, they spend the money on unnecessary things. Nothing the church or the people will ever need. But things the priests will need. You know how priests and bishops cannot marry, but they do so anyway. And the Pope does not care. He has his own mistresses to look after. His thinking is this: he has money and the love of the people. He has his mistresses. Why should he be concerned with the welfare of the people or the adultery his own priests are committing? It is repulsive and not becoming of a man who says he has sworn to a life of celibacy and God.

Vivero: Perhaps, but you are still being questioned for heresy. I will discuss it with the priest. Princess Elizabeth, I would be much obliged if you would stay with Lady Anne while we make our decision.
Anne: There is nothing to discuss, Senor. I know what the outcome will be. Do not make the appearance of being a man who pities heretics.

Vivero: You are right, I do not pity heretics. But I do pity you. Please my lady, wait patiently until our reentrance into the room. This is something I must do.

Anne: If you must then.

(Exit Vivero and Priest)

Elizabeth: Anne, you should have lied.

Anne: Then how could I walk proudly through England knowing what I have done? The shame I have committed in my own apartments. I would not be able to live with myself cousin, and neither would you.

Elizabeth: How true. But I fear the worst.

Anne: As do I. But nothing can be done.

Elizabeth: I do not know how I will be able to survive without you.

Anne: (Sympathetically) You have gone through so much: losing your mother, your father, and your brother. You loved them all so much.

Elizabeth: (On the verge of tears) Yes. And I love you as well. Both you and Charles make me so happy.

(Enter Vivero and Charles)

Charles: Anne, Senor Vivero told me all you said. (Hugging his sister) Why?

Anne: It was something I had to do.

Vivero: The priest and I have come to an agreement. It was unanimous.

Charles: Please. I love my sister. She does not deserve to die. Please, do not do this.

Anne: (Ignoring Charles and putting on a brave fa�ade) I am prepared for the consequences of my words. What is your decision?

Vivero: (Turning to Anne) Lady Anne, I have sent the priest to see the Queen. By now, she is aware of your punishment.

Elizabeth: No! How could you alert her so quickly? You did not give Anne the chance to turn to the Catholic faith.

Vivero: Because I know she would not. (Looking at Anne pityingly) Lady Anne, the Queen wishes for you to be burned on Tower Green Tuesday next. She wants you imprisoned in the Tower until that time.

Anne: Am I allowed to bring anything?

Vivero: Bring anything?

Elizabeth: They have books where the nobles are kept. (Both sadly and angrily) May God have mercy on Mary's soul.

Charles: How can she?! She is as cold as the stone tiles she walks on.

Vivero: Please, I am not finished. Lady Anne, you will not be kept in the Tower.

Anne: Then where will I be kept? Surely not where the commoners are held?

Vivero: You will not go to the Tower, nor will you burn.

Charles: (Disbelievingly) She will not burn?

Anne: Am I to be beheaded? Is this an act of mercy on your part?

Vivero: You will not die, Anne. (She looks at him startled, both from her nonexistent execution and at the informal use of her name without her title) I am being merciful towards you. You are hereby exiled from court. You will go with your cousin, the Princess Elizabeth, to one of her estates. You are no longer allowed in the presence of the Queen, that is, not until the Princess takes the throne, or Mary sends for you. You will keep your title, but are not allowed to court.

Charles: Thank you, Senor.

Anne: I will not forget this act of kindness, Senor Vivero. I thank you. I do not mean to seem rude, but why have you done this?

Vivero: Because, you have touched me, Lady Anne. Your passion, the love for your family. You have touched my heart of ice. (Smiles at her)

Anne: Perhaps you are not as cold as I thought you to be.

Vivero: You should pack your things. You are to leave at first light tomorrow.

Elizabeth: Thank you for this, Senor. We are all very grateful.
Vivero: (Smiles sadly) May God keep you safe and well, all of you. (Bows to the three courtiers)

(Lights fade out as Vivero bows)

© 2009 Jessica R.


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

Geeze, this is really good. I loooove the end.

You write very... intelligently.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

thats wat i meant

Posted 14 Years Ago


good job on saying the setting and the whole thing is good and makes sense keep it up

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 6, 2009

Author

Jessica R.
Jessica R.

Anderson, SC



About
I am fifteen years of age and hope to become a published writer in the future. more..

Writing
Alaska Alaska

A Poem by Jessica R.