Our World, a Work in Progress

Our World, a Work in Progress

A Poem by LA Lorena

 

 

 

 

 

Our World, A Work in Progress

 

 

 

 

 

have we become so desensitized

or are we merely rendered mute?

when atrocities are commonplace

and bullets end disputes

 

exposed are we to everything

but do we really see?

that the world's become with progress

a corrupt and lawless society

 

kindness meets suspicion

you've got to mind your back

women afraid to walk the street

without fear of an attack

 

innocent babes are slaughtered

all in the name of war

another twenty years of progress?

see what the future has in store

 

young men glorifying gang life

no lofty aspirations do they seek

afraid to raise our conscious voice

we turn collective cheek

 

unhuman kind continues

to fester, bleed and grow

the world looks on with unseeing eyes

as we harvest what we sow

 

© 2012 LA Lorena


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Lorena! You are a woman in tune with my heART!

This write so perfect so poignant! You start with a question and end with a Report! Not only that you ended with a reference to THE GREAT e.e Cummings! OMG! I love you for this!
Thank You! Guess how many points I gave you!?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sethnicity

11 Years Ago

Btw I think I am the only one who caught the e.e. Cummings reference! so.... FIRST! :)
LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words. As to the number you gave this write, I don't know. Anything higher.. read more
Sethnicity

11 Years Ago

OMG! HAHAHA!



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
DrD
Saddening truths about a society slowly becoming victimized by what was once considered glorious rights. Gun ownership, the right of privacy and habeas corpus all now a faint memory of a time when a nation was great because of its people. Now the people are robotically united to a sense of collective apathy and they are composing a future of devastation. Well done, dear. This is a good one.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

how can I stalk you properly if u know where I am? I'll be right behind you, when you least expect i.. read more
DrD

11 Years Ago

Okay, but if you follow me home, I get to keep you
LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

LMAO! deal!
there's that "we" thing ...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

thanks for dropping in Robin. Always nice to see you here.
A poem of global heart ache but we haven't toped the 1940's

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

yet.....

thank you for taking the time baby. :)
Warning fellow Writer's Cafe' friends. Drama queen.

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 3 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

LOL
Frieda P

11 Years Ago

The Drama Queen is such a trouble maker! ;-)
LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

guess it's a case of guilt by association. ;)
i love this write, though volatile and a grim reminder of what society has become, it says what needs to be said. and we, as a society need to act instead of idly watching from the safety of our homes.. get on the web or on your phone and tell your congressman that if he or she won't rid the streets of this menace you will find someone else to do their job. gang activity should be met with hard prison time, just for affiliation and rape with castration and murder with death. we coddle and woo our criminals in this country with three hot meals a day, cable tv and weight rooms and libraries and laptops! they are the scum of the earth and should have no human privileges! this poem has me fired up, hope that was your intention!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

Yes, that was the intention Quin. Seems I fired up a few people. LOL.
quinfinn

11 Years Ago

you go, girl.....
We are desensitised, the world is a strange place , few people with honor and integrity. Insightful write, great flow.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

thank you moon. I appreciate your dropping in.
I was raised in gangs as a kid. I did some time in juvenile at 12 years old. Wise people show me the right way to go. This was in 1967-1969. Gangs had been around for 5000 years. I join the army in 11th grade. Escape the city and taught me violence wasn't necessary. Need education and parent to do their job. My parent were AWOl. Need a system that insure all kids have a chance. A hard world when violence and crime in the way of life. Hard work to fix a broken system. Can be done. Thank you for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

and thank you for dropping in Coyote. It's always an honour to have you grace my page.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
CS
It seems pretty pandemic, doesn't it? I don't know if people have become more blind or just more desensitized, as you said. Maybe we are just more aware of the atrocities in humanity because we have the worldwide media these days. It just makes my stomach churn.
This was a very powerful poem, lady. It has a very strong voice. Thanks for not being mute.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

thank you Courtney. I appreciate you taking the time to drop by and read.
An things are only going to get worse if more people can't be like you, great job

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

people need not be like me. they just need to be aware and care in their own way.
We are indeed a work in progress, and I question even with the outstanding and phenomenal advances mankind has made in the area of science and technology, if we have been able to chalk up the same level of success in the area of loving and getting along with one another! I fear not - think we have done some back sliding as greed seems to prevail, and apathy runs rampant!
An excellent synopsis of our sorry situation of the world as we know it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LA Lorena

11 Years Ago

thank you for stopping in sheila, and for voicing your opinions. always appreciated.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

962 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 29, 2012
Last Updated on December 29, 2012

Author

LA Lorena
LA Lorena

Canada



About
Hello, I'm known as LA or LL. I am a bit of an enigma, but I like it that way. I'm on a bit of a hiatus from the site for now, as life has gotten a little busy, but I shall return. more..

Writing
Blush Blush

A Poem by LA Lorena



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..