Periphery City (Title in progress...)

Periphery City (Title in progress...)

A Story by Lalaek
"

After an all encompassing war the earth is now the center of the universe connected by a mysterious force called the border, with the laws for the upstanding citizens restricted by the All every move calculated and the lower city, or the Empty left lawles

"

Dark green eyes looked up at the towering hulk of a house that was the location of his next delivery. It was an old house no doubt about it, the hulking steam converter that was shabbily attached to it was the biggest clue and of course the wooden siding that was chipping and falling off in places. He looked at it again taking in the worn gray color that all paint became once it reached the end of it's time, the old picket fence that may have been white in another lifetime. He had checked the address on the package twice hoping that he had read it wrong but again and again it was consistent.

“Fine.” he muttered moving forward glad at least that the ancient house had a smooth road instead of the annoying cobblestones that the streets were made of. He always wore his modified shoes on jobs, the once normal boots now supported three wheels and a small steam converter with a expulsion system on the back. Thus he could release small bursts of highly pressurized steam converted from water, stored in small capsules on either side of the boot, by heat generated by the special back wheel. Propelling himself forward faster than normal. The cobblestones roads occasionally made it difficult but he risked it anyway, it was a relief to find a smooth road, even if it did lead to a significantly creepy house. The front door was a faded pastel color that he guessed at one point had been blue or green with a large ornate door knocker instead of a small bell knob.

“Please don't answer...please don't answer” he whispered softly as he knocked on the door lifting the heavy oval. If the recipient didn't answer he would be justified in leaving the package on the porch with a note and taking off. Much to his displeasure though he heard someone moving within the house and a muffled response. He waited as the house creaked and who ever or whatever was inside opened the door. It was an older gentleman who didn't look nearly as decrepit as his house had lead on.

“Can I help you?” he asked in a pleasant voice, lighter than one would expect from someone his age and height.

“Oh! Yes, I have a delivery for you.” he replied holding out the package, which looked unremarkable in its simple brown paper wrappings. The older man looked at it a moment,

“Is it Thursday already? Yes yes, I was expecting a package. Which courier sect are you from, boy?” he asked accepting the package while the younger male rummaged in his pack for the receipt.

“I'm from the Wingless sect Sir, we were surprised to see your package on our list usually the Gems get the deliveries in the upper side.” he said finally locating the receipt, handing it to him to sign.

“Yes, I don't like the Gem couriers much, I'm afraid I may have frightened them away for good.” the older man murmured scrawling, 'Dr. Tuan Niroan' on the bottom of the receipt and handing the board back. He ripped off the second blue sheet and tapped it to the package, looking at the Doctor surprised to see him holding some money.

“Your delivery fee was prepaid Sir.” he protested, knowing full well that other couriers would take the money anyways. The Doctor seemed to know that too,

“I like your honesty boy, how 'bout we call this a tip?” he said with a smile, “First though tell me your name, we ought not be strangers I get a lot of packages you know.” he continued.

“I'm Leott Sir, Leott Yates.” he replied, he liked this old man despite their brief acquaintance.

“Good name Leott. Here you are, but do me a favor make sure to tell the Gem couriers, should they ask, some horror story of me greeting you covered in blood or something. I'm sure you can think of a good story.” he said handing him ten shillings, a wealth of money to Leott.

“Thank you Sir!” he said looking surprised and pleased.

“Please call me Tuan.” he said with a conspiratorial wink before closing the door. Leott raced back to the 'base' their specific warehouse located far down in the empty side of Periphery City. Colette would be so pleased, he'd gotten a shilling for each of them! That was better than a whole weeks pay. When he got back she looked worried rather than happy thought.

        “What's wrong?” He asked looking at her in concern, her eyes typically a mischievous yellow were a dull blue now a clear indication that something was very wrong.

        “Elizer isn't here yet...it's been over an hour even for him that's late.” she replied looking over at him, “Did you make the drop?” she asked stiffly.

        “Yes, did he go back to Ms. Becks?” he asked she shook her head.

        “No she sent us a tap not that long ago asking if he was here, he didn't drop of his school things.” she replied glancing away again, “I hate to ask but can you go see what you can dredge up at the school? I'm worried he maybe in trouble again. He let it slip that there's another bully...” she said. Both of them repressed memories of the last year, the hospitals, shouting and pain. That wouldn't happen again!

        “Of course, if I don't see him I'll demand that they let me in.” he replied taking off. Elizer was the only one of Wingless who had a living relative, let alone a relative willing to pay for him to attend school. The other members of Wingless were well the losers of Periphery City, the orphans, street rats, the homeless whatever your ill that made you unfit for society you would find someone to share with in Wingless. They were assigned the worst deliveries, hence why he had been surprised to see the Doctor's package despite his frightening house he lived in the upper side. Though they were primarily couriers the also did any and all odd jobs, except maybe killing people unless someone was really desperate, anything to make money in this city.

        Elizer had the opportunity to get above all that, he had a loving mother figure in the form of his aunt, good friends and above all he could go to school. A place that all younger children had feared and despised before the Radical War was now a coveted and honored place. However somethings never change, Elizer was bullied on a daily basis due to his heritage. Leott's best friend was half Fae, not faeries like the old stories. There was no pixi dust, no wishes, no the Fae were a stuck up race. Their men were notorious for 'slumming' with the women in the empty. Women who's only choice to survive was selling their bodies, and should they become pregnant with a Fae child they could hope for nothing from the father. No Fae paid child-support or cared what happened to their mongrel children, even if the mother could prove her child's biological father was a Fae they would get nothing. The Fae were to rich and powerful to be bogged down with 'false' claims. Hence in the empty the poor half Fae children were hazed, killed, mugged, a number of various disgusting things. While Elizer was somewhat safe during school hours after not as much. Leott usually did everything in his power to meet his friend after school but he needed to make money more than the Fae boy did, Elizer mostly made money to repay his aunt. Leott needed it to live, he was three months behind on his rent as it was. The tall building came into view tall smokestacks still emitting the gray-black smoke of the coal fires.

        “Fae freak!” that sounded good, not. He rushed along the fence looking desperately for his friend. Finally he spotted them through the links of the fence, three bigger boys surrounding the slim Fae. Not that it was really that hard to be bigger than Elizer.

        “'Lizer!” he called hopping that a witness would put the boys off whatever they had planned.

        “Shut up scum. We're talking to the Fae-Freak now.” called the main boy standing directly in front of him. Elizer's fair eyebrows drew together so quickly they almost clicked.

        “You're the scum Jacob!” he said furiously, glaring daggers at the taller boy. “Do you have any idea what it's like to be a Fae in this city?!” he demanded before the boy could respond, continuing on his tirade, “I'll give you a hint;” he said murderously but rather than moving to harm the other boy he removed the illusion that he kept around his person. Fae magic stuff, he shimmered then you could see the false image melting off. His left eye now sported two ragged vertical scars, the same scars cut across his left arm from shoulder to elbow. His right beautiful variegated ornate wing was fine and whole with a delicate swallowtail off the bottom cell but the left was little more then a ragged stump, torn off halfway through. The horn above his right eye also acquired the black tip that indicated he only had one life left. All half Faes could die once and live again the second time however was their final chance. The would be bullies looked at Elizer like they'd never even considered what it meant to him to be Fae. They like everyone else had presumed that he was just as stuck up as his pure Fae counterparts where that couldn't be further from the truth. One of them, a big burly boy must have decided that he didn't care and lunged at the slighter boy's remaining wing.

 

        “'Lizer!” Leott cried from beyond the fence ignoring the signs on the fence he grabbed hold with the intent to climb it only to have a rather large amount of electricity run through his body.

 

        “Eo?!” The Fae called watching his friend drop. Today had started out so well too.

© 2009 Lalaek


Author's Note

Lalaek
Not the only chapter but I'm submiting it as a single story for now because I may try to draw it as a comic...anyway I actually sat down to write this finally after weeks developing in my head for the SteamPunk contest although not to much steam punk comes through in this chapter... ah well. The world's power is steam, seconded by electricity, but anyway enjoy and have fun? Oh...There is also a mix of fantasy... =P

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on July 31, 2009

Author

Lalaek
Lalaek

Charlton , MA



About
I am a reclusive person by nature, large crowds of unfamiliar people tend to make me very uncomfortable however that isn't to say that I don't enjoy meeting new people quite the opposite really. I hav.. more..

Writing
Wrestling Sheep Wrestling Sheep

A Story by Lalaek


The Descendant The Descendant

A Story by Lalaek