Exerpt of the 'Complete Collection of the Mystical'

Exerpt of the 'Complete Collection of the Mystical'

A Story by Lalaek
"

In this excerpt there is information on the race known as the Kelikans, and what we could procure about them from the time in which they co-existed with us.

"

      In the following excerpts is probative information of what we think should be included. Thank you for taking the time to review it for us, all resources are enclosed and the information on the race known as Kelikans, we are trying to compile a encyclopedia of know information, the below is a rough assumption of the method of procuring the new information

 and quality of truth are enclosed separately as well.

 

Sincerely Tanana Cori, Human Historian of Races and Wars.

 

Tanana Cori

 

The following excerpt is from 'History of the Races' by Michael Jacob Raeburn the High School recommended History Textbook in the year 18-04.

       "Kelikans were a sentient humanoid race with unusual and often wild powers. Every Kelikan is born with an instinctive magic, despite that many don’t even know their true heritage until they mature and the rest of their powers are inherited, usually sometime between the ages of 12 to 21. The rest of the powers take time and practice to control, before the Abysmal in 15-03 they were a flourishing community that lived peacefully beside humans co-inhabiting the world. But a horrendous scandal started the greatest war since the Rebirth in 12-02. The war seems to have wiped out this majestic race for all time."

(Chapter 12 the Kelikans, Pg. 443, Paragraph 2, Resource 2)

 

The following excerpt is from the 'Journals of Leigh StrongHeart' By Leigh StrongHeart renowned Kelikan astronomer before the Abysmal.

       "The worldwide war took its toll on both races and while the Humans have mostly recovered to their former glory the Kelikans have been driven underground, literally, we have massive cities and constructs under the thick layer of terra-firma that separates them from their one time friends. While some Kelikans travel above ground once they are able to control their powers and hide their signs many choose to remain underground and keep themselves safe until they feel it is necessary for them to rejoin the 'civilized' community. I for one regret being able to see the sky. We are a race that desires to be close to where our powers lie, and my own powers lie with the open air."

(Journal on the Abysmal War, Pg. 1, Paragraph 1, Resource 1)

 

The following excerpts are from the 'Scientific Journals' of Nar Macarthur renowned Human Explorer in the year 19-01.

       "I never imagined that in the one of the most remote and the most beautiful section of the world that I would make the discovery of the millennia.  In the Abysmal war we fought a race called the Kelikans, though humans never knew the origin of these majestic people they have a detailed history for themselves. But that isn't the topic of this journal, I discovered that despite our pre-conceived notions that an obviously supreme race was wiped out during one of the stupidest wars in our history was incorrect. The Kelikans decided that humans were being to stupid to continue association with thus they removed themselves from harm. They burrowed deep into the surface, hiding from us and developing their society and biding their time until they deemed it safe to return, if ever.

       The elders gave me permission to write about their race in detail but only with a blood oath that I would not revel the information should I decide to return to the 'overworld'. I of course agreed to these terms, How could I not? They are such a majestic race and I could not pass up this opportunity to have written proof of their existence. So to begin my observations I asked many questions about their unique powers. Imagine my surprise when they presented me with records of pre-civilized evolutions and theories on what happened.

 

From the archives in the Kelikan library, untitled journals of a scientific nature. Dating back to 6-03

       "We already knew that our races was derived from an evolutionary chain of lupines but we never imagined that there would be an entirely separate species to the wolves we currently know. In one of our ancient burial grounds we found what we believe to be the first step towards our beginning. It was an ancient skeleton, most likely from generations before our own current calendar. But I digress, the skeleton and remains we found were reminiscent of current lupines, yet far removed. The were far larger, and there bone structure showed a tendency and ability to rear up on their hind-legs almost like bears. The preferred all fours but had the ability to move on two legs, they also had interesting front paws the pads were extended with long claws that consisted of a cartilage like material. While sturdy and sharp the claws were also bendable and soft, perhaps a prelude to our fingers. This discovery was astronomical to the discovery of our origin, after all we had been curious why we evolved so closely to human beings but yet worlds away."

(Journal 17, Pg. 34, Paragraph 4, Resource 5)

 

       This discovery intrigued me because humans know that we evolved from monkeys, but the Kelikans with their unique appearance which is humanoid but unique to them (continued later in the Journal) intrigued us as well. However that wasn't even the most stunning thing I learned from their records. I decided to research into the origin of their powers, and my discovery was a theory that had never been explored.

 

From the archives in the Kelikan library, untitled journals of a scientific nature. Dating back to 6-03

      "We had many theories on why we developed our powers, from the superstitious tales of magic and gods to the scientific evolutionary survival theories. However the discovery of one of our ancestors, more evolved than the lupine but not yet to our current status reveled more than we could have ever imagined. It was vaguely humanoid, upright most of the time distinct arms and legs, the skeleton still bore claws of sorts, they were almost hands with bone hard long fingernails in a sense. The biggest clue to our evolutionary quirk was the traces of radioactive material underneath the surface of the claws. It is well know the instinct of lupines to dig, yet we never even thought of it, even after we were driven to our underground utopia. We still didn’t realize, there was no way for our primitive ancestors to detect and avoid radioactive materials in the ground. So were they to be exposed it is not completely far-fetched to presume that rudimentary powers were developed to evolve and change with us into what we know and understand now. The particular skeleton we found died from his encounter with the material, we presumed it to be plutonium we haven't updated our analyzing equipment to handle radioactive material since we don’t actively deal with it. We determined that this skeleton died from his encounter by the lack of any other reasonable explanations, there were no lacerations, makes on the bones nothing to indicate foul play. We also found some interesting decomposition in the bones that cannot be explained by natural decomposition. Therefore we concluded that one colony must have found a plutonium pit and those who developed powers survived and passed the new mutated genes onto any potential children until it became the norm instead of a rarity."

(Journal 42, Pg. 12, Paragraph 3, Resource 4)

 

      I have to admit this evidence is well founded and could very well explain the most significant difference between Kelikans and Humans besides our original ancestors. The only seemingly 'supernatural' powers that humans have developed over the years are enhanced mental capabilities and even that the extent needed to do anything with is rare in the natural community. Ah well this journal isn't for human nonsense! Because of my intent to never publish this journal I have made no attempt to make it coherent or in any particular order. So one mystery solved, the history of their presumed origin and the origin of their unique powers.

      Next I asked several of the elders to give me a list of all the powers among them and what they can do with them. What I received was a detailed explanation on the inheritance of powers and three lists, common, uncommon, and rare.

  • Overview: Every Kelikan is born with one power, called the inborn or Natural power. This initial power is one they have for their entire lives and the one that they become the most powerful with. When a Kelikan child hits maturity, around 8 to 15, they develop one or two more powers usually. The highest recorded amount of Powers that on Kelikan wielded was six and she died very young only twenty years old. It takes a toll on their bodies to have more than three powers. Every Kelikan has a varying control over their powers as well, just like strength, or stamina there is a limit to how much they can do.

 

  • Common: The common powers are related to the world around us, after all evolution proves that we grow and adapt to our environments.

 

  • Wind- Obviously the control over the air, from moving windmills in their underground cities to creating disastrous tornados during the Abysmal War.
    • Wind Kelikans are not treated specially because they offer very little help in their underground utopia, however if they choose a life above ground posing as humans they do well on ships because they can manipulate the breezes, though they never expose that they are in truth the reason for the ships good fortune. Wind Kelikans are tied with water Kelikans for the most common, common power.

 

  • Water- The control over water, from freezing and manipulating it to flooding cities.
    • Water Kelikans that can create water or purify it are treated very highly in their underground society because water can be a scarce commodity under the ground. The water Kelikans who can only manipulate it or change its states are only useful on above ground harvests of making a small amount of water go a long way. Water Kelikans are tied with wind Kelikans for the most common, common power.

 

  • Light- Control over ambient light, or creation but there is no heat nor damage. It is quite helpful in the underground setting but rather useless anywhere else.

 

  • Telepathy- The power to communicate mind to mind, any Kelikan can receive a telepathic message but only the Telepathic ones can send or reply without an enhancement stone.
    • The applications of telepathy are very small, and often the Kelikan can only do one or two. There is the communication aspect, as well as being able to sense the truth in lies, or feeling others emotions.
    • Messengers, Guards, Counselors, Shrinks.

 

  • Uncommon:

 

  • Stone- The control over stone, this power is different in the levels of its strength. There is a limit to how much the Kelikan can lift at one time but also the type of stone they can move. Most can move all the common forms of stone or rocks, but the more powerful can move, manipulate, and control gem stones which in themselves have interesting powers under the control of a Kelikan with Stone powers. Most stone Kelikans don’t degrade themselves to only moving the stones unless that’s all they can do. Gemstones have their own inborn or natural powers that powerful and skilled Kelikans can harness. Most stone Kelikans create necklaces, pendants, bracelets, hair beads, and many other forms of jewelry out of gemstones, and the grade of the stone affects how powerful it is. Also some of the gemstones have more power than others, just naturally.

 

  • Rarity: The rarity of a stone comes into play when its needed in more places than the supply allows.
    1. Everywhere
    2. Common
    3. Not Hard to Find
    4. Several Select locations
    5. A Few Locations
    6. A Couple Unique Locations
    7. One Location
    8. Extremely Difficult to Find

 

  • First Stone Kelikans are highly revered in their society because of their supportive skills and abilities. They are also on the uncommon side of uncommon powers there is about 1 stone Kelikans to every 32 Wind or Water Kelikans and 5 stone Kelikans to every 20 light Kelikans.

 

  • Amethyst (2) - Holds the power of phycokinesis, its generally used to give Kelikans with no telepathy enough to respond if contacted by one who does. Or to enhance any mental powers.

 

  • Beryl (3-8) - Is actually a base stone for several other gems.
    • Aquamarine (3) - Holds the power of water. These pendants can also be used by Water Kelikans to enhance their own powers and abilities.
    • Emerald (6) - Holds the powers of plants, specifically the desire to grow. Often made into ground ornaments to promote the growth of plants grown in underground gardens because its hard to do so. Also used by Plant Kelikans to enhance their ability to encourage plants to grow.
    • Morganite(3) - Holds the power of the mind, specifically communication. This stone is often made into earrings and used by both Telepathy Kelikans and Non-telepathy Kelikans, to keep mental communication open between them.
    • Heliodor (4) - Holds the power of Air. This gem is used to enhance Wind Kelikans powers and, the stones depending on variation of color represent a direction too.
      • Solid Yellow- North
      • Yellow-Green- East
      • Orange- West
      • Brown- South
    • Golden Beryl (4) - Holds the power of light. Most often used for lights, because they use no source of power and last far longer than the powered lights. They are also used to enhance the powers of Light Kelikans. It also holds a small amount of electricity power, which helps with the light aspect.
    • Goshenite (Pure Beryl) (6) - Holds the power of Heat, Strength, and Sexual Desire. Usually used in marriage rings, to promote the strength of the couples bond, and their desire for each other. Also used to enhance the specific users powers, and used in medicinal blankets to keep sick patients warm without raising the room heat or relying on blankets alone.
    • Bixibite(4) - Holds the power of heat. Used to keep structures warm or to warm up cold food, bowls of Bixibite are commonly found in large kitchens.
    • Red Beryl (8) - Holds the power of Fire and Heat. Used primarily to create fire and to create large sources of heat, but heat is abundant underground closer to the planets core.

 

  • Citrine (3) - Protection of the mind, used in circlets and hair combs to promote the natural development of mental shields.

 

  • Diamond (8) - Increases all powers substantially especially those of a sexual nature.

 

  • Garnet (6) -Used in forms of telepathy involving truth, often incorporated into diviner's pendants. Also used in fertility pendants as it is known to increase the sex-drive of those compatible with the stone.

 

  • Kunzite (7) - Rare stone used in pregnancy pendants, gifted to the mother to ease her sore muscles and promote mental tranquility. Also used by some young lovers who get hold of rough pieces because the lore is gifting your lover with Kunzite promotes a lasting love.

 

  • Onyx (4) - holds the power of Darkness.

 

  • Opal (5) - Enhance powers of Water Kelikan's by an immense amount and promote healing with those compatible.

 

  • Peridot (2) - Connected to the power of Earth, but if used by oracles it promotes visions and dreams.

 

  • Pyrite (3) - Holds the power of energy or stamina.

 

  • Ruby (7) - Connected largely to the power of fire, increasing natural powers by quite a bit, also increases passion in bed.

 

  • Sapphire (6) - Associated with water, and mental clarity, used in meditation wands for oracles.

 

  • White Topaz (6) - Holds the power of spirit, one of the most difficult stones to work with in terms of optimizing its natural power.

 

  • Tourmaline (3) - Is an unstable stone and only masters should attempt anything with it, Tourmaline tends to act in accordance with stones placed around it, but the wrong placement can ruin the power of the whole piece. While the correct placement can increase the power of all the stones ten fold.

 

  • Zircon (4) - An assistance stone, giving power to both the wearer and other stones in the piece.

 

  • Mind Control- A step up from telepathy, Mind Control is the actual take over of another's mind, time and power vary from each person.

 

  • Electricity- The power over electricity is often mistaken for the power over light, but there is a vast difference. Kelikans that harness this power are often living power houses, they emit a useable feel of power and  use it accordingly, that was how they originally built the underground utopia. They can also release bolts of lightning.

 

  • Heat-The power of head is misunderstood, often believed to be only helpful when harnesses in inanimate objects to project ambient heat.  However it can be used to project heat into other objects to the point of melting, thus serving to make hard substances more pliable or to harm enemies.

 

  • Strength- As it says, the power of strength is the ability to raise the wielder's own natural abilities or that of others. Only the very powerful have lasting effects.
  • Rare:
    • Psychokinetic- Also known as telekinesis, the power of moving objects with only the will of thought. An extremely rare power and on that often leads to premature death because of the strain it puts on the mind.
      • Builders, Transporters, Clean up.

 

  • Metal- The power of metal includes both manipulating its forms and brining out the natural powers of the metals themselves.
    • Aluminum- a common metal that is used in home protection and for cooking charms.

 

  • Copper- also common used to protect objects that are exposed to less than desirable circumstances.

 

  • Gold- Used to promote good health and luck, also common in the more expensive pendants.

 

  • Iron- Common, sturdy metal used in armor and around the underground's structures.

 

  • Mercury- a metal Kelikan's favorite metal, if they have the power to control it, Mercury's unique state makes it invaluable as a weapon. If it can be controlled its malleable state allows the wielder to form any weapon of length, size, shape, that they wish.

 

  • Platinum- Rare metal used primarily in air purifiers underground.

 

  • Silver- used widely in common items and jewelry to promote the power of the stones.

 

  • Titanium- Used in mixtures to create stronger metals, paints, special coatings, etc.

 

  • Zinc- Used primarily to protect other metals or as a base to be coated with a rarer metal.

 

  • Fire- Control over the wild and unpredictable element of fire, manipulating it and in the rarer strengths creating it.
    • Trash Disposal in the underground cities.

 

  • Darkness (Shadow) -Power over darkness has an interesting level to it, when I first heard of this power I presumed that it would be a rather useless one, I was quite wrong. The Kelikans with a strong affinity with their power can actually use their power to travel form place to place through the shadows.

 

  • Spirit- The power over spirit is reserved for oracles, they use this power to lift up their spirits from their bodies while still maintaining a connection. This way they see through time and death. I have to say I don't quite understand it myself.

 

  • Sexual Desire- This power shocked me I must say, but it was explained to me that Kelikans only develop this power when they are at risk of extinction. So that 'matchmakers' can deal with procreation without concern for interpersonal relations. I found it rather primitive myself...

(Journal of the Underground, Chapter 1, Pgs. 1-13, Resource 3)

 

© 2009 Lalaek


Author's Note

Lalaek
This is ... I dunno what to classify it as =.P
I suppose it's almost a history of my original species the Kelikans (Which are NOT werewolves >.>)
There was no original use for this, I wrote it while I was creating the species with no intent to use it, however I stumbled across a contest that I think this qualifies as something closer to what the contest creator wanted... or maybe not? XD
I haven't posted the story that contains the Kelikans yet...in fact the only place they've appeared so far is in a fanfiction I wrote. XD
Obviously the points of view are going to switch up and dance around, I don't care...I also wrote this in the OneNote program which has no grammar check so...meh.
That's all I think.... Kelikans belong to ME if you steal them I will hunt you down... and do very un-pleasant things.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This seems like an amazing contribution to the contest, I'm sure it'll do well. Even though I don't usually like fantasy or fictional races this seems extremely well thought out and creative.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 28, 2009
Last Updated on October 28, 2009

Author

Lalaek
Lalaek

Charlton , MA



About
I am a reclusive person by nature, large crowds of unfamiliar people tend to make me very uncomfortable however that isn't to say that I don't enjoy meeting new people quite the opposite really. I hav.. more..

Writing
Wrestling Sheep Wrestling Sheep

A Story by Lalaek


The Descendant The Descendant

A Story by Lalaek