Surprise Gift

Surprise Gift

A Story by Lashanna
"

A short story that I have written

"
It was an exciting Christmas Eve night as I had hopes to see my children in the morning. My wife and I are separated, that's the nicest way I can word it. I get to see my children on special occasions, or as in my ex wife's words, whenever she can stomach enough to see me.

I had done a decent job decorating a somewhat slanted tree and took proud in its Leaning Tower of Pisa like glory. I placed presents for both my sons, Robert and Chris, underneath the fake snow covered green goblin and rested awhile turning on the lights that wrapped around it. I tried closing my eyes but the lights pierced through my eyelids and caused an uncomfortable pounding in my head.

So, I decided to go outside and get some fresh air. I walked over to my front door and invited myself to the cold air that rushed through my body instantaneously. It was snowing and had been for hours. It built up the sidewalks and the streets. I didn't mind the cold, but it seemed like somebody else did.

I lived across the street from a craft shop. It was never convenient for me because I never had an artistic bone in my body, but today it felt important. There was an elderly man sitting outside of it despite its "No loitering" sign on the door. I doubt anyone would make him leave as the shop was closed and the streets were bare. He was shivering and appeared to be starving as well as he tried to eat food out of a can with clearly nothing in it.

His appearance seemed very sickening to the stomach. His skin looked as if it were turning blue. He had a scruffy bread, he was Caucasian, and he was laying on a blanket. His legs appeared to be very long, so he must be tall, as his whole body could not fit on the small fabric. His eyes were this strange shade of green and his hair a light brown.


He had a dog with him and he too looked very cold and hungry. I instantly regretted opening the door because of this sight. What do I do? I thought.

Without thinking I started toward the homeless man and his dog. I came closer toward them and the man looked up at me with such sorrowful eyes.

"Sir, I know you don't know me but you look very cold..and hungry - it's Christmas Eve. Do you want to come in and eat some dinner and get some heat?" I asked, although if I were in his position I don't think "no" would be the answer to pop into my head.

"Oh! That'd be great..I'd appreciate it" he replies, with a somewhat strange smile

I gestured for him to follow me and he did. His dog followed behind him. When we all gathered inside I shut the door behind us.

"So, whats you guys names sir?" I ask him, trying to be polite.

"Oh, my name is Willy and this is my dog Joe" he continues, "What's your name?"

"My names Ethan, it's nice to meet you"

"It's nice to meet you too" he responds cheerfully.

"You have a very nice house" he continues

"Thank you, I'm glad to have invited you in this evening" I respond

"Me too" he says, but with that same strange smile. I didn't worry too much though, he looked harmless.

"How's about I get you some warm clothes?" I suggest to him because he looks as if it were June when it is obviously December. If anyone saw me they'd say I was acting so out of character. I'm not normally this kind, but I assume it's just the holiday fever.

"That'd be very kind of you" he responds happily

"How about you take a seat on the couch over there and I'll be right back" I say and he nods with acceptance.

I didn't think twice when I went upstairs to find a sweater that I thought was his size till I heard a strange sound. At first I ignored it, but I got a strange feeling in my gut so I acted on it. I didn't know what to expect when I went to check back downstairs, so I walked with caution. When I got to the top of the stairs I bent down to look through the gaps of the staircase and saw something strange. The elderly man wasn't on the couch anymore and his dog was no where to be found.

I immediately thought he could've possibly went to get a drink, because the kitchen light was on. I decided to go back upstairs and found a nice, thick sweater that practically had his name written on it.

When I went down stairs I walked toward the light coming from the kitchen. I was surprised to see that Willy and Joe were not there. My stomach dropped at their dramatic, magic disappearing skills.

"Willy?" I call out, "Willy? Where are you?"

No one answered. Fear started to build up inside me. I walked back into the living room and saw something on the table.

There was a note taped to the remote. That must've been why the kitchen light was on, he got tape out of the drawer.

I picked it up and it read, "Turn the television on and turn to channel 9".

I was confused and frustrated at the same time. It was about 10 o'clock so the news would be on.
Why was that important?

I did as the note said and turned the television on to channel 9. It was a breaking news story. A broadcaster showed up on the screen with an urgent message, "There is a killer stalking around our neighborhoods. He is a very tall man, Caucasian, and goes by the nickname "Willy". He carries a dog with him and walks the area looking for new victims. If you see this man, stay far away from him". On the screen there shows a photo of a man.

I dropped the remote at my realization. He was in my house. I let this man into my house and now, I don't even know where he is.

I start to panic and before I could run, the room went black.

© 2015 Lashanna


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Lashanna: I loved your story. It was very intriguing and suspensful; the beginning pulled me in and the content was awesome. You left off just enough to give the sense something ominous was going to occur. I didn't see the genre or your tags. Your title is certainly befitting and the plot was wonderful. You are very talented and I encourage you to continue writing. The lyrical flow was nice. I look forward to reading more of your work..Thank you so very much. Dale

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A well written story. I like the set-up of the story leading to the open ending. You create good characters and dangerous situation. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great story! I certainly didn't expect the scary ending! It's left me feeling quite nervous...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lashanna: I loved your story. It was very intriguing and suspensful; the beginning pulled me in and the content was awesome. You left off just enough to give the sense something ominous was going to occur. I didn't see the genre or your tags. Your title is certainly befitting and the plot was wonderful. You are very talented and I encourage you to continue writing. The lyrical flow was nice. I look forward to reading more of your work..Thank you so very much. Dale

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

413 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 18, 2015
Last Updated on July 18, 2015
Tags: Horror, thriller, suspense

Author

Lashanna
Lashanna

Philadelphia , PA



About
Hello there(: My name is Lashanna. I am 17 years old and I love to write stories and poetry! more..

Writing
The Forest The Forest

A Chapter by Lashanna


Dear Mind Dear Mind

A Story by Lashanna



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Vanities Vanities

A Poem by Ana B.