The Guests

The Guests

A Poem by LastMonth
"

Dedicated to my guests.

"

Some guests come without a warning or heed. They come whenever they wish, not whenever you need. They follow you around at work, haunt you when you sleep. Their 

gazes target you keenly, it penetrates you deep.


They don't care for timing, they don't care for the moment. 

They come when they please, they come just to torment

They might come when you rest, eyes weary, your resolve they will test


The can come uninvited, at the worst of events, they will make you break down, speed up your descent. And no one will understand why it is that you cry. It has been months, even years, since you've said goodbye.


They'll come at happy moments, a wedding perhaps. They just love it when you are surprised and cause mishaps. When you look at your children, you'll see them too. Staring at them and staring at you. Your throat will constrict, it might even hurt. But don't you fret, just don't.


Shadows that haunt you, whenever you go, they just hate it when you try to let your life flow. Their memories are etched into the paper of your heart. Time heals everything they say, but where do I start..?  


When you see a person gaze aimlessly and shake, don't be discouraged, their hand you should take. Don't try to comfort them, don't try to mend. Don't even try to offer a helping 

hand.


Just stand with them, and in silence atone.

Just stand with them, so they don't stand there alone.

© 2016 LastMonth


Author's Note

LastMonth
In memory of people who were very dear to me, and to the people around me.
May their souls forever be interwined in the chain of life.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I can relate to this poem so much, particularly in my young life when there was too much death for me to be able to integrate the ghosts that haunted me at strange times. This certainly describes what I have experienced- not only by the ghosts of those who passed over, but also by the memories of other losses- of friendships, lovers, even cherished jobs. You did a great job describing the hauntings. But I agree with the last review- the most touching and deeply felt truth comes through in the last lines. There is sacredness in that silence that cannot be matched with any measure of words or actions, except standing with someone. Thank you for this beautiful poem.


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

This one is very close to my heart.
Thank you for reading it.



Reviews

wow... i could relate to this.

great read

I'm new on here, so it would be an honour if you could review some of my poems!

Posted 6 Years Ago


I agree with what you have said about the guests. I liked it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Wow! I appreciate the ambiguity of personifying those list. Ghosts or memories? I have a preferred reading, so like that you haven't limited my reading to your perspective, while, I might add, painting an entire, complete piece.

The end is brilliant, simple and ever so hard to do.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I can relate to this poem so much, particularly in my young life when there was too much death for me to be able to integrate the ghosts that haunted me at strange times. This certainly describes what I have experienced- not only by the ghosts of those who passed over, but also by the memories of other losses- of friendships, lovers, even cherished jobs. You did a great job describing the hauntings. But I agree with the last review- the most touching and deeply felt truth comes through in the last lines. There is sacredness in that silence that cannot be matched with any measure of words or actions, except standing with someone. Thank you for this beautiful poem.


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

This one is very close to my heart.
Thank you for reading it.
Love love love this and the last two lines, powerful!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Oh my God! This is so beautiful and touching, combined with your rhyming it's just simply a breathtaking piece of writing!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review. I appreciate it very much!
The guests seems disturbed or doesn't want anyone to go on with their lives. They just want there in their silence but with messy feelings. They are a busy guests...

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review. I appreciate you taking the time to read this.
I guess they are ind.. read more
Very creative and exciting. Good Job

Posted 7 Years Ago


Very nicely done. Good rhyme and flow. It resonates well with me as I too have those uninvited guests that come at times they're not wanted. They just pop up out of nowhere. Great job!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Don't we all?
Thanks for the review friend.
"Just stand with them, so they don't stand alone."

I adore that line; when people are grieving, others around them don't typically know how to react or what to say. How do you make someone heartbroken feel better? I love this because it's simple, but speaks in volumes. Well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks alot for the review and the kind words.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

991 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 10, 2016
Last Updated on May 23, 2016

Author

LastMonth
LastMonth

Tiberias, The Southern Galil, Israel



About
I like writing, I suppose. English is not my native tongue, I picked it up at school and mostly improved it through computers. In my early 20's and would appreciate thoughtful and impactful review.. more..

Writing
The Clock The Clock

A Story by LastMonth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Moon Petals Moon Petals

A Poem by MsJewel