The Flames

The Flames

A Story by LastMonth
"

Sometimes the flames get too hot, and even though we tried our best, it's not enough. But there's always a choice.

"

In midnight she awoke, to the terror of screams.  The flames were high, tore the village at the seams. The smoke piled up, cascading her sight. She pushed as hard as she could, with all of her might. There was only one destination, one target indeed. A sacred discretion, a sacred plead.

''Please gods almighty, just give me this.''


Whispers in the night, too many voices to dismiss. She had to go, as fast as was humanly possible, she had to go, if she wanted a chance at all. Desks were removed, pillars of wood. A cry in the night; A boy's plight.

''..Mom..! Mommy I'm here!''

Don't cry little baby"Mommy is near…!


His little form she took with a grip of steel, this little boy, her soul, no one would steal. Through the horrors and flames that none else could endure, this mother and her child, a love that was pure.

Feet became anxious, heart throbbed like drums, she'll never let go, no matter what comes.

Fathers and mothers, protecting their kin, they ran as fast as they could, defying the terror within.


And when the flames grew too hot to survive, she shielded her son, he must stay alive. Fate was too cruel, and it appeared neither could, she would make things better, she would.

''…Hush my sweet child, mother is near. Don't fear the darkness, mother is here.'' With a gaze that was calm, despite of the storm inside, she wrapped him in her arms, and promised sweet lies.


''..Close your eyes sweet thing"'' She would softly coo. ''..I'm too scared..'' He wept, and it was then that she knew.

''Look then in mine.'' She offered at last. Blue and protective, warm and steadfast.


And the darkness then came, and it collected them whole.

 But when he looked in her eyes, 

it was almost like nothing happened at all.

 

 

© 2016 LastMonth


Author's Note

LastMonth
Dedicated to the most loving creatures of them all. Parents.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

An amazing tribute to the almost supernatural power of the bond between parent and child on them both, one driven to protect, the other believing fully in that ability to protect, both against all reason.
The hardest thing is realizing that you can't always protect them.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

I agree.
I've never been a parent,
But I can't envy a parent knowing it is beyond his .. read more



Reviews

My eyes stayed dry but my heart wept a little😣

Posted 7 Years Ago


You know so well how to arouse the wonder and sacred place of humanity, of the love of parents for their precious ones. This stirs the soul, creates both a sense of fear and tension, and a lifting place of strength and courage. Heard the other day of a mother out this way who fought off a mountain lion to save her toddler. We have the courage in us... sometimes it takes something tragic or painful to wake it up.

Posted 7 Years Ago


An amazing tribute to the almost supernatural power of the bond between parent and child on them both, one driven to protect, the other believing fully in that ability to protect, both against all reason.
The hardest thing is realizing that you can't always protect them.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

I agree.
I've never been a parent,
But I can't envy a parent knowing it is beyond his .. read more
I love the scene where she tells him to look into her eyes. I can almost feel it, the release of anxiety, the calm.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

I'm happy that you liked it.
Very nice. I love how this is a story and a poem as well.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the review!
This poem/story is extremely powerful, and the dedication is very apt. The descriptions of the mother's frantic desperation, of her prayer and "grip of steel," of her "hear[t] throbb[ing] like [a] dru[m]", of "defying the terror within," are all vivid and emotionally gripping. You do an excellent job of portraying the profound love that parents feel for their children, love that will drive them to such desperate measures in order to save them. My favorite line, as painful as it is, is "With a gaze that was calm, despite of the storm inside, she wrapped him in her arms, and told him sweet lies." I'm reminded of all the times parents lie, saying "It's going to be okay" when it's clearly not, but in reality, it's all they CAN say. The fact that they use their own selves, physically and emotionally, as shields in attempts to protect us from harm is something that we often fail to appreciate. Finally, I absolutely love the image of the mother and her son looking into each other's eyes. That sort of thing really resonates with me. Very nicely written!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks alot for the review Alicia.
That was my favorite line too, about the sweet lies.
read more
I- wow. This is beautiful, and I love your portrayal of the characters. And yes, parents are the best.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Once more, thank you kindly for the review.
Hyacinth

7 Years Ago

It's the least I could do after reading such a marvelous piece.
Motherly protection can be the strongest force in this world and you evoke this well in your piece.

Well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thank you kindly for the review.
I agree. While it is not something I've experienced yet, (No.. read more
This was very very touching.
We give, sacrifice and do all we can for our children.
It's an incredible sort of love and you've captured it here very well.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks alot Ana!
I never had the courage to take on the bravest of all roles: Mom. Your story shows us how it can be for a selfless mom wanting to save her child. (Unfortunately, this mommy gene does not exist in all moms). Even tho this story is describing a physical fire, it can also apply to many other kinds of damaging uproars that a child might face in life. It would seem that they both perish in the end, but I love the message that implies that dying knowing your mom was doing her best to save you is one of the most peaceful deaths of all. Your message is so clear & sincere, your bumpy English seems inconsequential.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Mhm, exactly. You nailed it with the fire. I tried to be as vague as possible about the threat. I di.. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

That's beautifully stated. What you just said in this reply could be a piece of posted writing in it.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

782 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 12, 2016
Last Updated on May 14, 2016
Tags: Sad, Mothers

Author

LastMonth
LastMonth

Tiberias, The Southern Galil, Israel



About
I like writing, I suppose. English is not my native tongue, I picked it up at school and mostly improved it through computers. In my early 20's and would appreciate thoughtful and impactful review.. more..

Writing
The Clock The Clock

A Story by LastMonth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic