Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Little Sparrow

The Little Sparrow

A Story by LastMonth
"

We seek redemption in the strangest of places.

"

He's just a sparrow. 


What does he even know.


He saw that woman, begging on her knees. That man didn't care. He kept on with his spree. Her yelling was loud. How could nobody else hear..? Were they really alone? Was nobody near..?

He kept on going, clearly he could not understand. In this big city of ours, birds easily blend. He saw that boy, pressed in the alley. 


His belongings they took, also they punched his belly. He saw him weep. But clearly understand he could not, not even when the boy was shot.

Little beating wings, nobody cared. Nobody minded how a little bird fared. He stopped at the park with a lake, surely there was nothing insidious here. Just an old lady holding a photo, missing her dear.


When the two girls came, his head he did c**k, he munched on a worm while they helped her across the dock. A dog came by. Hello he did say, but the Sparrow was busy. The girls now forced her to pay. Old clueless lady, she furrowed, was she out of luck? But in her wallet she burrowed, lest she be struck.


The sparrow kept on, he reached a home. The safest of places, here no harm could take place. Imagine his surprise when the wife took a beating to the face. In front of her child, and despite of her pleas, he beat her so badly, she could no longer see.


Oh little sparrow, we'd like no judgment from you.

Yes we can do wrong, but we can do good too.

You see us at our worst, pushed to the brink.

I wonder, if you could talk, what would you think..?

Oh little sparrow, did you miss out on the rest?

You clearly have not seen mankind at its best.


Did you see that old veteran? Helped by volunteers? Long gone are gunshots and bullets, but he still has his fears. Did you see that old girl at the rescue center who wept? It was a stranger who stayed by her side, in his safety she was kept. Did you see that stray cat? Fed by our youngest..? They barely can speak, but their moral is the strongest.


Don't fly little sparrow, you have not seen enough. Don't judge us just yet, I know it seems rough. Don't fly little sparrow, there's good in us indeed. Don't you dare walk away from me, when I speak and I plead!


Don't fly little sparrow, or I don't know what I'll break.

Don't fly little sparrow, or I'll just snap your neck!

The Sparrow did fly. What did he think..?

And what would he say, if his mind he could speak?

© 2016 LastMonth


Author's Note

LastMonth
Just another one.
This one is a slightly different tone from most of my stories.
I hope you enjoy it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautiful and powerful, these glimpses of life through the eyes of one so small, of one so seemingly insignificant. There is much to learn in every line, of the world that inflicts such pain, when such wonders surround us every day. May we learn to live in miracles and not madness.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Strong words.
Sometimes I feel like reviewing your reviews.
Thanks mate.



Reviews

so cutie and nice work
I like the things that you write


Posted 7 Years Ago


Powerful, sad, with a plea for understanding. It captures the heart of our world.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks a bunch for the review Elizabeth.
Beautiful and powerful, these glimpses of life through the eyes of one so small, of one so seemingly insignificant. There is much to learn in every line, of the world that inflicts such pain, when such wonders surround us every day. May we learn to live in miracles and not madness.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Strong words.
Sometimes I feel like reviewing your reviews.
Thanks mate.
wow!
"Did you see that stray cat? Fed by our youngest..? They barely can speak, but their moral is the strongest."

This is my favorite part. It reminds me of how innocent those who cannot help themselves are. This poem is amazing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Thanks a bunch for the review, I appreciate it.
Surprise surprise, I liked this a lot. I enjoy the honest faith in "goodness" the narrator seems to have despite what's going on around him and knowing the sparrow is witnessing it all as well. I think about these things often, and it has crept into my writing lately. But I seem to have much less faith and I tend to focus on the wrongness of the path humanity seems to be on. I often feel like the sparrow in that I am watching, while being unable to stop, many awful things. Only I can't fly away ☺ I guess I will endeavor to be more observant of the goodness I see as well (as the narrator suggests). Well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

I'm glad that you liked this friend.
I think that our worst fear is not that the Sparrow thin.. read more
"You clearly have not seen mankind at its best." I'm curious. What is mankind's best, really?

I am not good in reviewing, but. I just wanna say that it's a really nice piece that makes me think. I like the summary and how the story connects to the summary. And the mankind's words are very mankind-ish indeed.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

There are two types of Narrators.
There's the All-knowing Narrator. Ones who will usually sta.. read more
Wow.

This just swallow you whole, the message you give and the way you give it in. Wow, again.

"Yes we can do wrong, but we can do good too,"

That line especially is very powerful. It raises questions and it sounds am to me as if you're trying to reassure yourself as well as the sparrow, wonderful as always.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Always a pleasure to get your reviews.
Thanks a bunch.
There's alot of truth in your s.. read more
Interesting take on what the birds would think of us ... and of course, we would snap its little neck without a thought now wouldn't we? Probably best to fly away.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Well said Goode.
good one, LastMonth. a novel idea for me. I like it. your story is clearly saying that there's still faith in humanity in these troubled times.
In spite of her pleas, he beat her so badly. who's he?
everything else is fine.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Woody

7 Years Ago

yes, I got that, M. this is what I meant. you mentioned the sparrow, then the wife then "he". perhap.. read more
LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Ooh. I see what you mean. The word husband isn't even there.
Thanks Woods, I'll fix it up in .. read more
Woody

7 Years Ago

no prob. :))
This is very powerful & twisted in a deeply honest way. What hits me more than the deeds being described is the tone of the narrator, both pleading & harsh, the attitude demonstrating the loving hand that beats the s**t out of the beloved. I'm very stunned by this, not becuz you had the nerve to describe human nature so bluntly, but becuz of the way the little sparrow was used as an innocent bystander thru-out, symbolizing (to me) how we might imagine God seeing us at our best and our worst. This is a brilliant concept & delivered with gut-wrenching impact . . . but not becuz of dramatization, it' becuz of the dispassionate discussion of each situation, each hope and dream, plus, the ending, where the sparrow has to get away from all this. I'm in awe of the mind that put all this together, more than the writing itself.

Posted 7 Years Ago


LastMonth

7 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it.
It's been a while since I tried writing something a bit more blunt. read more
LastMonth

7 Years Ago

Ahhh.. It killed my comment Hahaha. That sucks. But yeah, you got it right. I was trying to make the.. read more
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

You have a bad habit of popping off a little suddenly *heh! heh! heh!* . . . . (((HUGS)))

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

863 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 19, 2016
Last Updated on May 20, 2016
Tags: Sparrow, Birds, Judgement

Author

LastMonth
LastMonth

Tiberias, The Southern Galil, Israel



About
I like writing, I suppose. English is not my native tongue, I picked it up at school and mostly improved it through computers. In my early 20's and would appreciate thoughtful and impactful review.. more..

Writing
The Clock The Clock

A Story by LastMonth



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic


He will be... He will be...

A Poem by Gee