Excerpt 6

Excerpt 6

A Story by Lauren Fisher
"

Devon just received an exciting opportunity and runs into someone dear and near to her heart.

"

I walked out into the hall just as a distant phone began ringing. Something inside my heart told me to wait - stay where I was. So I clutched the papers tighter in my hand and leaned against the nearest wall, letting my heeled boots click against the tiled floors. It felt strange, waiting in the halls with nothing to wait for. The anxiety was screaming at me to go, someone would see me. But the heart of my soul was telling me to wait, just one more minute.

Sure enough, exactly sixty seconds later the Librarian peeked her head out the door, our gazes locking.

“Room 203.” She peered at me over the brim of her glasses. Yes, Madame Tudstrell was the classic librarian in every movie; curled hair tied high up on her head, glasses hanging low on her nose and very, very floral shirts.

I kicked off the wall, “That’s on the other side of the school.”

“Yes well, it’s empty right now so that’s where you’re going.” She snapped.

Nodding, I quickly turned and rushed down the hall. I wasn’t going to test the librarian’s patience today. Why the hell I was being sent to an empty room I didn’t know. I’d see soon enough.

As I walked the main hall my skin was delighted with the warmth of the sun pouring in from the skylight two stories above. The long, glass-topped roof of the main hall was beautifully crafted. Shocking, it was that a school could afford such a lavish thing. Nevertheless, it felt delightful at high noon with the sun blazing ninety-three million miles directly above it. Sometimes, when it rained, rainbows glittered along the hall. Those were the best days.

My favorite part was a small red pane of glass in the shape of a triangle. It didn’t match the other clear pieces, and it was the only unique one. When I stood under the rays of red light that were cast upon the floor underneath the pane I felt rejuvenated. It helped me calm. It was so beautiful even my mind swooned at the sight of it. It reminded me of Jenna’s hair, and her hair reminded me of the pane. Both of which I loved.

Standing underneath the red light, I felt my toes dance to the melody of my heart, I twirled down the hall, my skirt billowing with the rush of air.

Glowing beams of sun projected the entirety of the ceilings art onto the floor, I was mesmerized. And due to that fact; I wasn’t looking where I was going. I slammed into Jenna who also, apparently, wasn’t paying attention.

“Sorry, Jenna,” I said, my hand on her shoulder.

Her eyes met mine and I saw tears streaming along her cheeks. Her hair was re-done in a stunning, swirling bun with twin braids trailing along each side. Her tear-stained cheeks were framed by two strands of hair, miraculously curled.

My brows knitted together in worry. “Are you alright?” I asked.

She smiled the most beautiful smile I’d ever seen - genuine and true. Her lips curled in a sort of smile that showed she was thinking something that maybe she shouldn’t. “Yes. I am now.” Her bronze eyes bored into mine and I had to look away. She tried to get me to look at her, bending down to get into my view of vision. A grin crept across my features and no matter how hard I tried to push it away it came back.

Jenna laughed a tad and looped her arms in mine, wrapping her hands around my back. Her embrace was warm and cold at the same time. She was happy, but she had been crying. I felt her pulse echo in my own chest.

I didn’t know what was happening.

I let my fingers tap along her back as they reached up and around her shoulders again. I held her close, breathing in her smell as covertly as I could.

This hug was, different. The way she held me-

This said something that I didn’t want to think about. I couldn’t think about right now. I had to get to that room. Something was screaming inside me to leave - go. I was being pulled and I sighed, knowing I couldn’t just sit here in her arms forever.

I raked my fingers down her back, pulling away. I felt her muscles shiver a bit in the split second my hands remained on her. My own muscled reacted the same when she dragged her hands along my sides, letting me go as well.

I loved her and I wanted to spend every waking moment with her in my arms.

I allowed myself one second more with her close, then I made to move. I didn’t dare look at her when I stepped to the side and scurried down the hall.

I had somewhere important to be and the universe knew it.

© 2017 Lauren Fisher


Author's Note

Lauren Fisher
Oof ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on November 30, 2017
Last Updated on November 30, 2017
Tags: love, gay, lesbian, beautiful, swoon, heart, tears, confusion, passion

Author

Lauren Fisher
Lauren Fisher

Miamisburg, OH



About
Our universe is too complex for you to be a mistake. Our world is too beautiful for your thoughts to be un-important. Speak. Write. Unleash yourself into the world. more..

Writing
Eleia 1 Eleia 1

A Story by Lauren Fisher