The Woman named Varia Part 1

The Woman named Varia Part 1

A Story by Chain of Hearts
"

(Christian fiction) Camila's life-Her father is an alcoholic, and her mother works at a bar. Her life is sad and dreary, until she meets a woman...Embark with Camila on this epic adventure!

"
Foreword

Creeeeak!
“Ahh!” I whispered trying to withhold the scream that was about to betray my voice. What was that sound?
Creeeeeeeeeak!!
“Just take a deep breath Camila. Ok, I need to go figure out who or what that is.” I muttered under my breath, talking to myself as my body trembled ever so slightly.
I swung my legs over my brown coloured bed. My bedroom was pretty plain. It had a single bed with a small nightlight on a small coffee table in the corner closest to my bed. Also, there was an old mahogany desk that held the odd pencil that was burrowed somewhere under all of the crumpled papers.
Now, I walked slowly on the cold wooden floor that made shivers go up my spine for every step I took. When I reached my door, I cautiously opened it, praying it would not squeak. I looked behind me regretfully into my room. There was the moonlit window glowing with the moon’s radiant glow. Should I really leave my room? Maybe it was just a mouse or something…No. I need to make sure no one is down there. My bare feet touched the thin carpet in the hallway of my family’s crammed apartment. Not that I would call them my family. They were my so called ‘parents’ but they treated me like a stranger- they didn’t treat me like a human being. You might be wondering what that is supposed to mean, but I’ll just leave it to you to figure that out for yourself. Now, back to my story.
I gently tiptoed down the hallway. There was my parents bedroom, and on the other end was the storage closet packed with my fathers’ alcohol. Yep, he was an alcoholic. My mother- lets just say she flirted with a lot of guys. She worked at the bar in the center of New York and was thought to be good at it too.
I was scared out of my wits to leave my room before my mother and father had left to do their ‘daily business’ at around 5am. If my father caught me- he’d most likely box my ears and make sure I feel the pain. My mother? Slap me and leave me nothing to eat for who knows how many days. Well, I didn’t get three meals a day anyway with our short food supply.
CREEEEAAAK!
“Argh!” I shouted and turned my head to where the sound must be coming from. A shadow flickered at the bottom of the stairway. I ran downstairs clumsily, almost tripping over my feet. When I got to the bottom I looked to my right, there was the front door with peeling red paint. I turned and looked to my left-there was the kitchen with its dirty pots and pans piled in the sink that were never bothered to wash. Suddenly the front door slammed. There were gun shots and I ran back up the creaking stairs of my house and into my bedroom.
This is my life.
I’m always afraid when I hear someone in our house-Even though I know that it’s most likely a person from a gang seeking refuge. The neighbourhood we live in is dangerous and has many criminals usually on the loose.
I walked back to my bed and lifted the thin sheets which I draped over my frozen body.
“Brrr…” I said, shivering.
I fell asleep fretting over whether or not my father or mother had heard me that night.









I

Ring! Ring! Ring!
My pocket alarm that I’d bought at a second hand shop rang waking me up from my fretful sleep.
I checked the clock that I had under my flat pillow every night and saw that it said:
6:00am.
I stifled a yawn as I peeled off my baggy shirt that I used as pajamas. Then, I hunted for my clothes under my bed that consisted of a pair of worn-out denim skinny jeans, size 7 brown loafers, another baggy white shirt with mud stains, and a new denim jacket that was my most prized possession-I’d discovered it in a dumpster. I quickly threw my clothes on, and slipped my feet into my loafers. Then I walked to the door, opened it, and
walked down the stairs toward our tiny kitchen.
“Ugh!” I yelped. There, sitting in front of me at our table was my father-drunk and all. He was lying, sleeping with a dozen half drunken bottles all with different ‘flavours’; there were spirits, beer, whiskey, guinness-You name it. But, what should I do? If he were to wake up…Oh, he’d get me in trouble for good. Instead of lingering any longer, I grabbed my satchel that contained $5.15 , a broken mirror compact, and my pocket alarm from my room that I had placed in the bag when I got downstairs.
I carefully crept to the front door, down the dirty, flat, grey carpet. When I opened the door, a big wave of cool air rushed into my face, rustling my blondish-brownish hair that was held back in a ponytail. At fourteen years, I was pretty tall for my age and had a nice curve to my body. But this I was not proud of which originated from my mother. I suppose you could say I didn’t like my stature one little bit. You could say I didn’t like who I was.
Holding my satchel close to my curvy chest, I walked outside through the dark alley behind our apartment.
“Oof!” I said as I tripped over a stray plastic bag full of trash.
Eventually, after taking tall steps, I exited the alley. When I looked around at what lay before me, I saw all the different shops. There was the butcher shop-Expensive too-and the grocery store. A gas station, and an expensive condo towering above that stood across the street.
Cars, from rusty to fashionable, zoomed past me as I walked toward the gas station. Now, what did I really need? Whoosh! Whoosh!!
Cars one by one flew past me. Why is it so busy today? Suddenly the cars slowly came to a stop before me. Row upon row, colours upon colours, there were so many cars. The road had three lanes, while the sidewalk was crammed up against the sides of the street. The sidewalk was cracked and dusty on our apartments’ side of the sidewalk, and on the condos’ side there were lush gardens, with perfectly paved sidewalks. It was not fair. Why did they get this, and we people who needed that the most were getting this trash?
“I need you to find her immediately!” A man on a cellphone exclaimed as he rushed past me.
He was brawny, but formal in his suit and tie. He had his brown hair slicked back with gel. A swarm of people followed him, asking questions and holding cameras. I suppose they are the camera crew. But, why is that man being pursued by these people? He must be of some importance. I was determined to find out but knew that I had my errands to complete. Save the fun parts for later. I’m no detective that has all their life for investigating.
“Oh no!” I exclaimed as I saw my father stumble behind me, tripping over his feet.
“Come back here! There’s something important I need to tell you!” My father yelled at me.
Why was he in such a mood to try trick me? This was an interesting turn of events.
I dashed between a lady and her chihuahua, tangling them up in the leash as they walked. She wore an evening dress, and carried a bag.
People stumbled as I tried dodging them as I ran, plus the adjoining obstacles- garbage cans, or even another dog. I glanced behind me, my father was not in sight.
“Phew.” I muttered, wiping my forehead from the sweat that threatened to come.
When I slowed my pace to walking, I realized how far I was. Where was I? This was no familiar surrounding. There was a building, it looked so perfect. It was a hotel for the name that glowed up said, Hotel de Vuleit
“Oh no…Where am I now?”
“Yer’ in the neighberhood’ of Madame Vuliet. Yer’ not of this place?” A curious man asked.
“Umm..I just lost my way as I came too far.” I replied.
“Well you ain’t need to be ‘fraid cuz I won’t hurt ye’. Meh’ names Neil. Where do ye’ need to go?”
Should I reply? Could I really trust this man? Ok, I’ll make sure to be on my guard. I need to find my way back anyhow.
“Well, alright. I was back in my apartment-”
“Where do ye’ live?” The man burst in.
“Ahh..I would feel more comfortable if this was kept classified.” I replied with growing suspicion, “But anyways, I was at my house and went out onto the main street which held all the shops-Gas pro (the gas station), the grocery store and all the others. Then I was um…just being chased by this man and realized when I stopped running that I wasn’t in my street anymore. So…I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction?”
“What street do ye’ live in?”
“Umm…theres no street because it is just an ahh apartment.” I replied with growing anxiety.
“Well I’ve no ‘dea where ye’ are tryin’ to get to. So either tella’ meh where exactly or can’t help ye’. ”
“I suppose it’s alright…There will probably be umm some ahh signs or something to guide ahh me home.” I answered, taking small steps back from the man. I didn’t have a good feeling about talking to him any longer.
“Excuse meh gal I’ll catch ye’ later den’.”
He said as he winked at me.
“Ok umm yeah see you umm later.” I stuttered, trying to force a smile.
“Men these days..” I jumped as I heard a woman talk behind me. “You know sometimes we need to do what we gotta do as woman, you know? If they want us to do something we don’t want to do, we slap them and show them what we CAN do!” I turned around to see a bedraggled old woman, who held a cane shorter than half her body. She had grey hair that stuck out on each side of her head and she wore a grey dress that clung to her body for dear life. Her face-There were many wrinkles above and below her eyes, and surprisingly she wore no glasses that would perfect this odd sight.
“Are you talking to me Ms..Ahh Ms..” I faltered, feeling embarrassed.
“Yes I am talking to you. And You can call meh Mrs.Lane.”
Oh what a weird name! Mrs? How could this old woman be married?! And of course, I’d expect ‘Lane’ to be of a beautiful young woman, not an old, filthy person! Maybe ‘ragged’ would suit her, ‘Mrs.Dirtyhands’ or even ‘grubby’.
“Well, I’m sorry my name does not suit my stature.” the old woman said as she laughed.
I yelped. How? Can she read minds?
“And no, I cannot read minds.”
“How do you…how?!” I exclaimed with fear.
“Oh, it is my gift.”
“To be a psychic?!”
“I am not a witch, child.”
As she said that, I saw a man staring at us intently.
The old woman turned around and quickly glanced at the man.
“Oh he must be one of them…Quickly follow me! Save explanations for later!”
Then she grasped me with vice-like hands, and started to pull me towards the hotel.
WHOOSH!
I yelled for help, not knowing what was going on.
Suddenly, I opened my eyes and I found myself in empty space. It seemed crazy, but everywhere I turned there was blankness. It looked like fog, or mist, but I just sat there, feeling lonely and scared.
Then, I started to fall, like something was sucking me into the depth of the nothingness.
I opened my eyes to find myself in a beautiful room. It was furnished like so- It had a four poster huge bed, with heavy red silk as the bedding. The ends where rimmed with gold-real or not, the bed was beautiful. As I looked around, I saw a wardrobe that was painted red, with intricate gold designs. Then there was a bath with no faucet. That was weird. I hoped to find out later. But oh dear! I can’t stay here! I must go complete my errands! How did I get here? I was about to step out of the bed when suddenly the doorknob of the door which was twice the size of me started to jingle and rattle, like someone was trying to open it.
BOOM!
The door suddenly barged open, and a man with a suit and tie came forward. He carried a damp cloth, and walked cautiously closer and closer.
I started to back away on the bed, pulling myself closer to the wall, when suddenly I realized with fear that I couldn’t escape.
I pressed my back into the wall, hoping the wall would absorb me, for the man with the cloth did not at all seem friendly. He jumped forward, and flung the cloth onto my nose.
I suddenly felt like I was floating on air, but then I fell, deeper and deeper into a darkness so great. It enveloped me quickly into its great fangs. My eyes closed, and I let the dark mist seep into my body, as I fell into a careless sleep.










II

“AHHHH!!!!!!” I screamed as I woke up from a nightmare still so vivid.
“Child! It’s alright. I’m here, you’re all safe.” A voice so sweet, whispered.
My eyes were still shut, and I felt the woman do something with her hands on my forehead.
All of a sudden I felt a peace, and knew that I had been comforted in some odd way.
“Wake up. Don’t worry, everything’s ok.” The woman whispered ever so quietly.
My eyes started to flicker open, and I found myself staring into the eyes of a beautiful young woman.
She had silver hair, with tints of shimmering gold. The woman had a mysterious twinkle in her hazel-brown eyes that stared down at me. Her skin was youthful and was as pale as the moon that made her face set off a radiant glow. She was slim, with a flowing gown made of silver silk, with red and gold gems embedded in it which sparkled in the dim light. I looked down at her feet, and saw the most dainty silver slippers, with diamonds that glimmered in the small wedge of the glass heel.
I realized that she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen, and already I noticed she was the kindest one too.
“Who are you?” I asked, dazed to be in the presence of this young woman.
“I am Varia de Rosey veris Parlong, or you could call me Mrs.Lane.” She said with a voice so full of song that even a bird could not sing it.
“You are Mrs.Lane?! But..but..you can’t be!” I exclaimed, astounded.
“Do you really want to know?” Varia asked.
“Please tell me umm…Miss.Varie de Parosey long.”
“Just call me Varia. I know it is a tongue twister to say my full name. But, anyways. I am normally an old lady. Ok, that is a weird way to start a story. How do you start those fairytales? Oh yes. Once upon a time, there lived a girl named Varia. She was 12 years old when she became Queen of Salonia, because her parents had died in the war.”
“Oh I’m so sorry.” I said sadly.
“It was sad at the time, but I’ve grown on it. They were pretty old anyway. And everyone will die someday. But anyhow, back to my story. So, on the day before I was crowned Queen, I was angry. I did not want to become Queen, as I was angry at the war, and at my parents for dying. I was confused with my emotions, and felt angry at everyone, and everything. People may think that would be normal after everything that had happened, but it was not. It was selfish of me, and unkind to not think of others. That night, I went to bed crying with big tears why I had been born. Why did I have to be alive if my life would be all about mourning loved ones deaths? If it meant having people choose what I’d do in my life? If I couldn’t do what I wanted and do what I liked? Each day that would approach closer and closer to the day I’d be crowned Queen, I would think these thoughts. But the night before the big day, my thoughts became reality. I thought to myself how life would be much better if I wasn’t alive. I started to plan my suicidal attempt, thinking how wonderful it would be at the end. Suddenly, someone strange appeared. He was brighter than the sun, and had a face that was all kindness. He was glorious. He didn’t wear those fine clothes of royal kings, but was draped in a white that glowed with light. He spoke in such a kind tone, that tears came to my eyes. He told me,
‘God created you for a purpose, He loves you, and wants you to fulfill His promise. I died for you thousands of years ago, so you may live. Not so you may perish. Listen well. I love you as a father would love his child. I love the world so much that I died for them. Don’t take that for granted, for I love you even if you may not realize and know how much.’ Then, He disappeared. I was surprised and taken aback for nothing like this had ever happened to me before. At that moment I made a goal to find out who that was. I searched all the books in the library for a hero or saviour who died for us. Just when the sun started to rise, I came across a book called, ‘The Bible’. All the other books I had read were about Historical heroes who saved their kingdoms. Nothing about this mysterious stranger. I had hoped so badly that this was the right book. When I opened the first page, I was shocked to see how small the words were, and how thick the book really was. I started to read, but I was confused at this information about how this ‘God’ had created the world. I skipped forward many pages and came across a page that was blank except for the words: ‘The New Testament’. I decided to read this ‘New Testament’ no matter what. I read about this man named ‘Jesus’ and how He was born. When I reached the section where He was crucified, tears started to come to my eyes.
‘He really had died for me. He really did die for the world.’ I had said as big tears started to fall.
I did not know this God but in my heart I had had the slightest hope that someone or something would have stopped me from succeeding in my awful plan. I prayed to this God and prayed that He would accept me, even for the wrong I had done. I prayed that He would help me forgive the ones who had hurt me, and that He’d help me do what is right.
I read the rest of the New Testament and read how He resurrected and saved us all.
This all happened centuries ago, while I am still young now. That is because of the Time Freeze that happened in  1875. I was 17, just like I am now, and I was the only one who survived. I only took one thing from my castle before I appeared in this world.
“And what was that?” I asked.
Varia pondered the question and then responded, “I know someday you will realize what it is and why I took it. There is a group of people in this land, and they are searching for this item. They believe it will give them power, for they are greedy for wealth and fame. That man you saw outside staring at us, I believe he might of been one of them. Your job is to find them and show them this item. They will be transformed if they believe the truth of this item, unless they are stubborn enough to still want to be made powerful or famous. That is why I have to disguise myself as an old woman, so people don’t recognize who I really am. But sometimes I just can’t help talking to someone like you, as I am extremely bored nowadays.”
“I’d be glad to help you with this job you’ve assigned me. But just one question-Why did that man put that cloth on my face?”
“Oh, don’t worry about that. I told him to because I knew you would try to escape, but I need your help and knew you’d be glad to assist me.”
“But Varia, I really do not think a religious teaching will help me with this mission. When I asked what happened to you I wanted just maybe a short version of the real story, instead of this religious version. You know I think you should have some respect for atheists like me!” I said, frustrated.
“I’m sorry about that sad decision you made, but Camila I had to tell you the whole story so you would understand what the item is and-”
“How do you know my name?! You know what? I don’t care how! I don’t know who you are, and I don’t trust you. I don’t care for any ‘God’, and don’t need one to ‘guide me’. Now please if you could show me out, and I’d be very glad to get back home!”
“But Camila, you must listen, there is no way out without-”
“Fine, if you don’t want to show me, then I’ll find it myself!”
I stood up, jumped off the bed and walked to the bedroom door. The doorknob was a bit too high for me to reach, but I stood on my tiptoes and opened the heavy door that grunted as I pulled it open quickly. I ran down the hallway that had many doors that lined the walls. Some were smaller than me, some double my size, some even triple! But I kept running and running until it seemed like there was no end.
I gasped as I saw a door double my size start to open. I searched for a hiding place as I did not want to wait who would come out the door. I crouched down trying to make the shadows swallow me up. It didn’t seem to work.
First a dainty silver shoe stepped out of the room, then a silver dress, and finally her face. Varia. But…how? How did she get here? Unless..
“Yes Camila. I’m sorry to say that this hallway never ends. It was designed to protect those brought up to this floor of the hotel. This floor is classified and is not known to even exist. I was trying to tell you, but sadly I hadn’t realized you would be so stubborn not to listen.”
Varia started to reach behind her and picked something up.
What was it? A weapon? A missile? A gun?
“I am not afraid!” I faltered.
“Don’t be afraid Camila. I am not reaching for a weapon, a missile, or a gun. It is nothing of the sort.”
How does she do that? If she is not psychic then…what is it?
 “I just wanted to give you the item I told you about. It will help you. I promise.”
She tossed a heavy book in my direction. I reached in front of me, and the book swiftly landed in my hands. I flipped over and blew the dust off the top of the book. It read:

‘The Bible’.







III

I gasped. I tried to say something, but I was speechless.
Varia just looked down at me with a smile on her face.
How could she do this?! I just had told her how I am an atheist and I do not agree with any of this-
“Camila. I am sorry for you to be an atheist, but please I ask of you. Try reading the New Testament, as it will strengthen you for this difficult job.”
“Varia…I am very sorry to say, but I would be happy to help, but maybe this is the wrong item for how would this transform someone? It’s not some magic wand or something.”
“It is not about how it transforms someone Camila. It’s about who it transforms. Someday you will realize. Someday just like I did. Please Camila. Consider helping me in this mission. I believed that you would do this as you said you would. I know you can do it.”
“What if I do? Not that I’m saying I will…”
“Well if you decide to, then meet me outside in the exact same spot we met today. Meet me there again tomorrow, at exactly noon. From there I will bring us back up here, except into the training room. You will be taught what to do in a certain situation if you were ever to meet the men.”
“What if I…don’t want to?”
“Then pretend this never happened and keep this classified. Also, pretend you never met me.” Varia said as a smile tempted to creep on her face.
“Alright, I think I’m in. As long as I don’t have to believe or do anything religious.”
“Great! So tomorrow do exactly what I told you, and make sure to have the Bible with you. Also, whisper in my ear, ‘Marshmallows’ so I recognize you.”
“Two things-First of all why the word, ‘Marshmallows’?”
“Marshmallows? Oh, just because it is a nice word.” Varia said laughing.
“And also, you will be able to recognize me. I wear the same clothes everyday. Nothing changes.”
“I’m sorry Camila, but soon that will not be suitable for your mission, for someone could recognize you. But we will work on that tomorrow.”
Oh..I’m not a big person for change. But that’s fine. I guess it’s better than being injured or something. What time is it?! I really need to get going…
“Ahh..Varia? I really think I should get going now. I still need to complete my errands.”
“Oh, about that. I don’t think once you start the mission that you will have time for your daily routines. So if you don’t mind, I assigned a young lad to deliver all of your usual groceries, that you usually buy, to your house.”
“Really? You would actually do that?”
“Yes Camila. But I think we’ve had enough chatter for one day. Now, if I could show you out?”
“Thank you. That would be very much appreciated.”
Varia started to walk down the hallway, and I quickly ran after her, not wanting to get lost. Varia stopped in front of a door half the size of me, and opened it.
“Just step inside this door, and you will appear back in the same spot you were this morning. So will I as an old lady. But remember-Do not try to talk to me about what happened up here, and don’t tell anyone else either about what has happened.”
With that, she nudged me gently toward the door, and I stepped inside.
Again, I opened my eyes, and saw I was standing in a blankness. It was heavy white fog, and suddenly I was pulled into the ground, and I fell deeper and deeper, going faster and faster, until I had to close my eyes.
Thump!
“Ouch, my bottom!” I said, as I opened my eyes.
I looked around and realized that I was sitting on the damp sidewalk. There was Mrs.Lane- or Varia, and again she was an old woman with a hunched back, and small cane.
I started to walk back down the sidewalk, and noticed some signs on the road that pointed me towards main street.
I walked for 10 minutes, and then arrived back in front of the busy street. There was gas pro, the butcher shop, the condo, and the grocery store. Oh! And there was my family’s apartment with it’s dark alley.
My satchel still hung across my back with a strap across each of my shoulders. I took it off and rummaged in my bag for my pocket alarm.
“Oh!” I yelled, when I saw the time,
4:33pm.
I couldn’t believe it, I had been away for about ten and a half hours!
My stomach grumbled. At that moment, I realized that I hadn’t eaten anything since the day before.
I ran to the alley of my apartment, and then raced to the door. Before I even had a chance to open the door, someday barged outside and grabbed me. He pulled me into the kitchen and roughly slammed a hand over my mouth.
“Ugh, ugh, argh..!” I tried to yell, but it was all in vain.
I looked up to see a tall man, who towered above me with great power. He had brawny arms, and a twisted smile.
“What are you doing here kid?” The man asked.
“Humhumhum hum hum humhum.” I tried to speak, but it came out as a murmur.
“Joe, take your hand off her mouth, you can see she can’t answer you!” Another man said. He walked into the kitchen, and I almost yelped when I saw who it was.
He had his hair slicked back and wore a suit and tie- he also held a cellphone.
“Now, if I can repeat the question. What are you doing here kid?”
“Umm…I live here sir.”
“Sir? Pah! This kid is a teat Lans.” The man said, addressing the man in the suit and tie.
I figured the man holding me was Joe, and the hair-slick guy was Lans.
“Ahh sir I live here, and I just went to do my usual errands.”
“Errands huh? Well I saw you talking to an old woman. Was that just a coincidence? Neil, come on here.”
Neil? Was there another man who was a part of this awful group of men?
“Coming!”
“Neil! Did you say that this girl told you she was lost?”
“Yeah! She even asked meh’ for derection’ but she got picous’.”
Wait a moment. This guy, Neil sounds familiar…
Neil’s footsteps came closer and closer to the kitchen. Then he walked right up to me, and said,
“Thats the gurl.”

It was Neil.

The man who I had talked to before, asking for directions.

© 2015 Chain of Hearts


Author's Note

Chain of Hearts
Please comment your thoughts...But please keep any mean thoughts to yourself! Thank you. And enjoy! (P.S. would you like a part 2?)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JC
Hi, this had a very whimsical feel, like an urban Alice in Wonderland with a soft christian haze, also, the chaotic streets and characters reminded me of Louis-Ferdinand Celine, there is so much richness in that type of anarchy and intrigue. Great job.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chain of Hearts

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JC
Hi, this had a very whimsical feel, like an urban Alice in Wonderland with a soft christian haze, also, the chaotic streets and characters reminded me of Louis-Ferdinand Celine, there is so much richness in that type of anarchy and intrigue. Great job.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chain of Hearts

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

248 Views
1 Review
Added on January 2, 2015
Last Updated on January 3, 2015
Tags: Christian fiction, hrilling, exciting, neglection, mission, kidnapping, sinister plot, ending

Author

Chain of Hearts
Chain of Hearts

Alberta, Canada



About
Hey pals! So welcome to my page, I hope you take an interest in my writing- I will definitely look into yours. -------------------------------------------------------------------- TAKE NOTE: Pl.. more..

Writing