Know Who You Are

Know Who You Are

A Poem by Legacy
"

Is this a possibility... in Knowing Who We Are, do you think we should take the time to understand others, before investing in our own?

"

Understanding who we are?

As a young child I was faced with many circumstances which stretched ‘who I was’ at an age when baseball, snowballs and candy should have consumed me.

 

How are we to assist, teach or even lend a hand to another or for that matter given the right when we truly do not understand who we are?

Do we lend an ear?  Or just keep Talking?

Understanding Who We Are, could this expose us for who we truly are?

 

The future moves into the past…

 

 

Know Who You Are


Facing our Fears – Is all, but a mirror image

One we refuse to see - one we refuse to acknowledge?

 

I claim no acceptance in fostering appreciation

Encompassing emotions, other than my own

Elapsed time, this I can-not proclaim.

 

Guilty I am… Immersing ‘my being’ in the past

The lifting of boundaries (through Love and Understanding)

Offered in abundance… “This eludes me.”

 

Where have we lost such pluralisms in life?

Why do we wish to ex-change the reflections of who we are?

 

Without values we have no foundation

Our future should not, and must not, be transmogrified

(Because of our past)

 

Eyes of first impressions lost in judgment

Casting of shadows, tossing blame

Why must we quench our thirst from the well of hatred?

Who are we to judge without knowledge, or out of fear?

  

Thoughts become nothing more than reflections
History will - recall voices within our diverse past
 
When we really speak the words ‘Thank You’ ‘I Love You’ ‘I ‘Appreciate You’ ‘I am Truly Sorry’ are they really filled with the meanings they deserve?

A message conveyed or perhaps ‘lesson to be learned’

 

Looking back – moving forward

Beyond Cognition, reflections now dissolved

 Image of another becomes clear

I must vanish to…

Know Who {You} Are…

  

© 2007 Legacy

© 2008 Legacy


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, it leaves me thinking of a lot of questions I have to ask myself. And you're right, why are we still so teribly prejudice, always angry and upset over the silliest little things. And I totally agree with Demyra there that sometimes we say things like I love you without even thinking it. I know I do it all the time, mostly to friends and family but I say it so that, should anything ( Goddess Forbid) happen to either of us, they know that they were loved.

Posted 16 Years Ago


15 of 15 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A thought provoking poem that stops you in your tracks of existence...well done a hidden treasure I just pulled up.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A question I am asking myself right now.... do I know who I am, am I ready to discover the real me, am I lost in pluralisms or fearful of shadows past, present or future? I'm letting go in the hope that all will become better....

Powerful in the knowledge that all is "a message conveyed or perhaps lessons to be learned"

Thank you!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

we are what we see. we are all around our self. We create the world which reflects unto us the image of our microcosm. We are everything.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow great message i loved the last line good job :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

dahm thats all i have to say after i read this

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really like this; it's meaning can change with person to person which I think gives it value becuase you are able to look at it from a much different personal viewpoint to others, because it uses the imagery to make you think about what we say and do, as you read this; you dont read it... You consume it, it interrogates you to think about your own actions. My favourite line has to be ' Why must we quench our thirst from the well of hatred? '
It makes you think about the words not just as the reader but as if you are the writer and have control; it sticks in your head, good job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well done! It's a great poem, with an important subject.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have a very strong voice Legacy. The words you have spoken have great value and meaning. If only we could get the young ones on this and I don't mean just the teenagers the young adults. So many seem to be lacking in self worth. just wish there was someway to push this on them to read, but I know ya cannot make anyone read or feel or do anything they don't want and this was really just an excellant write. xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

beautiful. your poem is very true. fading away. losing your place in the world may be the only way to find yourself.

It is in my opinion that those who truly know themselves know that they can't truly know themselves. I know that sounds backwards, but I think those who have a grasp on who they are know that change in life is inevitable and that the self can change with every passing season. So who we are is never concrete, but knowing that its never concrete is truly knowing the self.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

That really makes me think twice about things that seem to rattle off my tonuge. I just realized that I was too worried about what other people thought of me to realize I didn't know who I truly was. I always look at myself in the mirror thinking, You're the pretty, nice, and popular one at a crazy school; you should be happy with that. Now I won't settle for who I really am not. If these people don't like me the way I am then just walk away, and deal with it. I'm not who you think I am. Thank you, Legacy.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

8251 Views
428 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 19 Libraries
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on March 11, 2008

Author

Legacy
Legacy

About
Information to come more..

Writing
Dark Secrets Dark Secrets

A Poem by Legacy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..