Dear Stephenie

Dear Stephenie

A Story by Legion
"

Was thinking about the old style vampire compared to what recent writers (one in particular) have done to their image and what the vampire might feel about it.

"

Dear Stephenie

 

 

Dear Stephenie,

Please excuse the informality of this letter considering we have never met, but we would like to offer you our deepest appreciation for the favor that you have committed, albiet unknowningly, in the name of the ilk of which we belong. By your doing, through your words, you have single-handedly brought into the darkness the life and light upon which our species thrive. You have constructed a universe that did not exist for us once upon a time. Before, we kept to the shadows. Before, we were mere silhouettes to be feared within the stories of humanity. Stalkers of the night. Condemned and damned. Cursed with a hunger quenched only by the blood of the prey that prayed to an unmerciful God. A God unkind that we abhorred and who, in turn, abhorred our kind. For untold millenium, we existed as figments of imagination to most. To some, when our hunger required sating, we were their last moment of breath. We were the fear of the hunted. Occasionally, however, we became the hunted when discovered and then destroyed. But that seldom happened and when it did, the stories of those hunts and the creatures hunted soon fell into fable, myth, and legend. We prefered our lives this way. It was safer for us to stay in the darkness. To hide and hunt within the blackness of night. To continue, in essence, living an undetectable undeath.

But now, due to your books and the subsequent movies that follow, we have been given a new life. One where we do not need to hide anymore. Where the hunt has now evolved into something else. Though we must still remain creatures of the night, that darkness is now illuminated by the knowledge of our existence. A knowledge devoid of fear and loathing. A knowledge that is now laced with longing and desire. Because of your words, we now have young, supple human flesh lusting after us with an askewed view of romantic notions. They seek us out in droves searching for that moment that they might find us wanting them. Wanting love. Wanting the dark kiss so that they may be with us forever. We no longer must struggle to survive by hunting the destitute and the lost wandering around in the night. Now, our sustenance comes to us wanting that connection that you have implanted in their minds. What they get, however, and what a surprise it is, are fangs buried within their necks and the realization at that moment that they have been deceived by a notion that we find a longing within our hearts for their humanity and its brevity. Hearts blackened and rotted can feel nothing. What they get is a tormented death and the realization as they lay dying with their throats ripped open that they have been misled and betrayed. You have led them astray and so they come. They come and they come and they come and we feast and continue to do so. It has become akin to shooting fish in a barrel to quote a humanistic phrase. We are deeply in your debt for this. Our gratititude exceeds anything we could actually do for you within this world.

So, to sum things up, please continue doing what you are doing. We appreciate all that you have accomplished and wish to see more in the future. Kudos on a job well done. The darkness welcomes you and your kind.

Truly indebted,

Legion

01Oct09

© 2010 Legion


Author's Note

Legion
Didn't really edit or proofread this. If you find anything, let me know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I don't know why you don't create stanzas, it's much easier to read.. I liked your darkness idea - the subconscious. This sardonic letter.. I edited it for you, there were typos and so on, commas. you like or u do not, lol..... I send in PM . kudos! as you say. great creation.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Lovely satire, Legion. You should send this on to Ms. Meyer.
-And, a heartfelt congrats.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well done. I never quite thought about it like this, and I'm sure the person in question isn't the only one to thank, but that's another story.
One thing in her favor though, and I would have never said this without hearing it from J. R. Ward (and she, of course, is right), she is bringing along the next generation of vampire readers. They'll get over that glitter thing and see the blood dripping one day. :)
But yeah. I enjoyed this read.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't know why you don't create stanzas, it's much easier to read.. I liked your darkness idea - the subconscious. This sardonic letter.. I edited it for you, there were typos and so on, commas. you like or u do not, lol..... I send in PM . kudos! as you say. great creation.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brought a grin to my face it did! I like cruel irony like that.

Generally well written, although you might want to separate the paragraph by an entire line - only because it's easier to read like that on a computer screen, else it looks like a very chunky lump sum of text.
other than that, I enjoyed it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LSS
I thought your tribute to this bizarre subject to have uncovered a valid point; and you may be, inadvertently, embedding some message. You know there's a moral here in this story, ole Aesop? A fitting paraphrase to the age old question of youth -- 'A person may end up finding what they search for!' -- Of course someone truly needing blood would be called 'Anemic', and would be suffering from Oxygen deficiency, thus the pale appearance. True porphyrians find they have similar symptoms to the literary depictions but they can't stand the sight of blood -- what a paradox! I've even heard tell the story of an initiate who desired to be buried alive and was put into an medically induced cataleptic state previous to being buried in order to not asphyxiate in the confined space. Of course when exhumed their skin is flaccid and grayish, not unlike an actual dead body, and I've seen many in my day, and I've read that this condition is the leading cause of skiers death involved in avalanches where they are buried alive. I guess timing is everything as we were meant to LIVE not DIE. OOOOh I do go on about this, the poor deluded youth, so keen on finding a new way to live even if it means to try dying. Weird!
LSS

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is genius, and I love it! It has a subtle creepy feel. You know me,
I love a good vampire story:). You brought the vampires out of
the darkness, only to give them life once more, and who knows,
it could happen...hehe!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Not bad at all. I never thought about it from this angle, but I bet the author would just flip when she read this letter. I used to think no good could come from her series, but I guess now I know better ^_^ Good job with this.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The narrative is good Jim and so is the letter. Sounds like something out of Dante's Inferno...wormwood rides again on the back of a dragon wearing a black cape flowing on the breeze of erotic nightmares. I personally don't like Halloween, we don't have it in Australia...thank God!! There is something inherently evil in the notion, but I guess it is all done in fun and the children seem to enjoy the 'trick or treat' custom...though I have to say that the ideas put forward here are not the kind that should be in a child's head. You have painted images black and sinister and it definitely has the dark effects and ear marks you were aiming for. Nicely done Mr Scribe...
Cheers,

Helen :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

586 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 2, 2009
Last Updated on May 28, 2010

Author

Legion
Legion

Nowhere near a BBQ pit!



About
I write about various topics. Mostly I write poetry/songs. I took my screen name from a concept album/epic poem I wrote years ago titled "Legion's Legacy: Tales of the Damned" which was inspired by .. more..

Writing
Whisper Whisper

A Poem by Legion


It Is Said…. It Is Said….

A Story by Legion



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..