You Deserve All the Rain

You Deserve All the Rain

A Story by Leo Allen

     The air was still around you, like a vignette of silence. You motioned me over. The rain speckled your shirt and mimicked the freckles on your skin underneath. You weren't smiling and I felt a cold chill run down my spine as a gust blew between us. My impatience grew as you took your time - most likely searching for the right words.

     "Spit it out," I uttered at last, half looking down.

     "Alex." My name dropped from your mouth like a stone.

    I flipped my hands over on my sides and wiped the sweat from my palms. Is this what heartbreak felt like? This whole time I had been mentally preparing myself for this moment, but now that it's here, it's a lot more difficult. It's funny how the "butterfly" feelings from excitement are almost indistinguishable from the stomach churning of a heartbreak. That must be the awful truth about love. Its true nature is evil. It buds from obsession and wilts from jealousy.

    You didn't need to say anything, because I already knew what was coming. This is the part where you open your mouth and say something vague like "it isn't you, it's me" or "you're really great, but I think we should see other people." No matter what you say, it'll feel like I've been through it all before, just because I have in my nightmares. This day was inevitable. We both saw it coming. And now, outside in the rain, just as a drama has demonstrated countless times over, I will get my heart broken.

    "I don't feel the same anymore." You said flatly.

    I swallowed hard, unable to answer you.

    You put it in another, much more insensitive way. "I don't think I love you anymore."
     
    The rain seemed louder now. I could barely hear what you were trying to tell me. Something about understanding and space. Something about distance and unreliability. Either way I couldn't pay attention to your words. I was focused on your face, your hair, your body - knowing this very well may be the last time I see any of it. Your eyes were dull and unloving. How cold it suddenly felt here on our -- your -- front lawn. A car drove by and interrupted the silence I hadn't noticed was hanging above us. In that moment I felt unbelievably upset; not for myself, but for you. It must have been hard dealing with someone like me. Who procrastinated every little thing in his life. Who had scarce motivation and lack-luster social skills. Who was controlling and oppressive. And then I felt disappointed in myself for allowing such a person to walk into your life, because you deserve so much more.
    
    You deserve so much more.
   

© 2016 Leo Allen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
Added on February 18, 2016
Last Updated on February 18, 2016
Tags: breakup, romance, sad, love, relationship

Author

Leo Allen
Leo Allen

Boise, ID



About
Just a guy with a passion for writing stories short enough to keep my own attention. English with a linguistics emphasis BA at BSU. more..

Writing
The Game The Game

A Poem by Leo Allen