The Monster Foaming at the Mouth

The Monster Foaming at the Mouth

A Chapter by Leonard Birch

    At first there was darkness, nothing. Slowly, dark red neon lights started to appear. They intersected, creating two grids that ran parallel. The square spaces between the lines of light then were filled with an invisible force that made the grids able to be traveled across. The floating, gridded platforms stretched out into the endlessness of the void.
 
  I am running. My eight year old mind cannot fathom the emptiness before me. Panic courses through every muscle, tingling every nerve ending. My catholic school uniform, a white polo shirt and and dark blue shorts, is drenched with sweat. It sticks to my body, weighing me down. For no reason at all, I am shoeless. The invisible force creating the floor is stone cold and my feet leave little steamy foot prints as I struggle to move forward across the grid.
 
   Behind me is a monster. The creature is made entirely of various vent coverings, most commonly those for a bedroom. Their shut off switches kept rattling causing the vents to frantically flap open and shut. It did this as it bellowed an overwhelming metallic screech that seemed to be made of several varying pitches being released simultaneously. It was approximately fifty feet tall and the many sized vent coverings formed an almost human like shape with an industrial vent cover as its head. The head vent cover was the most unique piece on the creature as it contorted its flaps to create a scowl that was accentuated by two large glowing red eye lights and a shredded mouth opening that emitted the screeching noise and spat out Styrofoam blocks. The blocks seemed to be of all shapes and sizes, even those used for packing electronics with specific ridges to keep fragile pieces safe for transit. The grid broke apart into large segments and disintegrated into the void behind the monster as it chased me.
 
   A hopelessness fell over me, replacing the panic. How long had I been running for? I was alone and I knew no help would come for me. My legs tightened up, my stomach clenched as I felt the sour sting of bile rising into my mouth. I knew in my heart that the monster would never give up. It would chase me as far as I could run into the void. It didn't matter how far I ran because I was running into oblivion. The grid would forever lead me into the darkness and fall apart as the monster past. Tears ran down my face as I fell to my knees and closed my eyes. I accepted my fate and the desolation of the circumstance of my surroundings and clenched my fists. I could feel the thundering of the monsters foot steps. The increasing decibels of the screeching rattled my tiny body to the core, making my hairs stand on edge. And then there was darkness, nothing.



© 2011 Leonard Birch


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

203 Views
Added on October 31, 2011
Last Updated on October 31, 2011


Author

Leonard Birch
Leonard Birch

Mars Hill, ME



About
Born on a hill, Raised in the sun, Living just to breathe, Breathing to go on. I'm Leaonard Birch. I'm a Welshman. more..

Writing
Sleet Sleet

A Poem by Leonard Birch


Ask Ask

A Poem by Leonard Birch