Fly Young One part 1

Fly Young One part 1

A Chapter by Leonard Birch

    I am in the frozen food section of a grocery store. The same grocery store my Grandfather takes me to every weekend. I am seven years old and I appear to be the only person there. The patterned white and blue tiles are shined to a glossy finish and not only do I see myself in its reflection, but also the ceiling adorned with piping systems that serve purposes well beyond my line of thought. My face, though blank, has an air of curious determination to it. I have a task at hand.
    The building is so dimly lit that the fluorescent lights from the freezers guide my way. I pass through the television dinner section, followed by pizzas, and finally desserts. My steps are cautious and far space as I attempt to only walk on the blue tiles, pretending the white tiles to be lava. The thought of being melted by means of a super heated liquid rock, that emerged from the very center of our good Earth, was one that haunted me in my earlier years. I drag my right hands finger tips along freezer doors, leaving wavering ghost trails in my wake.
     The end of the aisle brought me to the back wall of the store. Open, door-less freezers lined the entirety of it. These freezers contained an endless assortment of milks, juices, yogurts, and oddities that must have been from some far away land that I was not yet familiar with. Approximately five feet from the long wall freezers were another set of freezers that ran the length of the building as well, but these were not connected as one singular line and let wanting customers able to make there way to the back wall. The five feet between freezers is where the store is the coldest. I feel goosebumps rise along my forearms and a slight mist begins to emanate from my mouth when I exhale. It is here where I begin.
    I take a deep breath, close my eyes for a second, and jump forward. In air, I wave my arms around spastically straining to keep a float. I land on my feet approximately two feet from where I began. I then stand up straight and begin the process over and over again. After several failed attempts, I collect myself and focus. I become aware of every motion my body makes, feeling the sweat rolling down my forehead, the tinge of the cold air from the freezers wrapping around my body, my atoms humming in harmony, and I am at peace. Then, I propel myself forward and up. In slow motion, I see myself from the outside. With eyes closed my arms and legs move in unison, as if I am running up an invisible hill. Suddenly, through opening eyes, I see the tops of freezers which are riddled with accumulated dust long forgotten. And then I fumble and fall hard onto the floor, knocking the wind out of my diaphragm. Gasping for breath I feel victorious. A feeling of bewilderment and excitement fills me in a way that I have never felt again. Once ready, I stand up and begin to practice. The lights dim and the scene fades away.


© 2011 Leonard Birch


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on October 31, 2011
Last Updated on October 31, 2011


Author

Leonard Birch
Leonard Birch

Mars Hill, ME



About
Born on a hill, Raised in the sun, Living just to breathe, Breathing to go on. I'm Leaonard Birch. I'm a Welshman. more..

Writing
Sleet Sleet

A Poem by Leonard Birch


Ask Ask

A Poem by Leonard Birch