Where Did I Go Wrong?

Where Did I Go Wrong?

A Story by Leslie Flemons

What was happening? For some horrible reason, everyone I know and care so deeply have turned their backs on me. What I have done to deserve this? My parent wouldn't look me in the eye. My best friend, Valeria wouldn't speak one word to me. My boyfriend, Juan- he broke up with me for my nemesis, Princess Meyers. And my imaginary friend, Destiny was the last to leave. I know it sounds absurd for a fifteen-year-old girl to have an imaginary friend, but I have been friends with Destiny, since I was in kindergarten and I wasn't ready to let her go. She would always be there for me in my darkest hours. 

Not only were my loved ones turning against me, but everyone else seemed like they were trying to avoid me as if I were a bomb getting ready to explode.

It was like I was put into some horrible curse! Whatever was causing these people to suddenly despise me, I was going to get to the bottom of it!

Hesitantly, I knocked on the door of my best friend, Valeria's house. Like most pairs of friends, Valeria and I grew up together since preschool. She was a beautiful Hispanic-American girl with beautiful dark, long locks that were normally pulled into a high bun.

The door slowly swung open, causing my heart to pound.

There she was. Valeria Rivera, my ex-best friend standing before me.

"What do you want?" she demanded coldly.

"Val, I don't know what I did wrong," I told her.

"Oh, don't act dumb, Serena!" Valeria snipped. "You know what you did!"

I felt tears flooding my brown eyes. "No, I don't!" I sobbed. "Whatever it is, I'm so sorry!"

"'Sorry' doesn't cut it. Don't ever talk to me, call me, message me, or show up at my front door again! You hear me? We are done, Serena Flores!" And with that, she slammed the door.

More tears began falling from my eyes as I slowly walked away from her house. The girl that I have known for almost my whole life has walked out of it. Why was this happening to me? I didn't do anything lately to cause her hatred toward me. I have made many mistakes in the past that could have ruined our friendship, but I haven't done anything recently.

As I was a few feet away from Valeria's residence, I spotted my ex-boyfriend, Juan with Princess, his hand intertwined with hers. They were a few feet away from me. In fact, they were walking toward me. As they noticed me, they stopped walking.

"Serena?" Juan asked.

"Juan," I said in a pleading tone. "Can I please talk to you?"

Juan looked over at Princess, then back at me, with his arms crossed against his chest. "About what?"

"Something important," I said.

"Just keep walking, Juanie," Princess said in her British accent. "She's just going to convince you to crawl back to her."

"I'm sorry, Serena," Juan said as he and Princess attempted to walk past me, but I stopped them.

"Please," I begged as I felt more tears falling down my face. "It will only take five minutes."

Juan sighed. "Fine," he finally agreed. "But, make it quick." He turned back to his new "girlfriend" and said, "I'll be right back, babe."

We walked a few feet away from where Princess was standing.
"Look, I know what you're about to say," Juan said.

"What?" I asked.

"You want to get back with me," he said. "Well listen, Serena, I'm sorry, but that's not going to happen."

As those harsh words escaped from his lips, my heart began to feel like a hammer shattered it to a million helpless pieces.

"What did I do?" I whispered to myself, but Juan heard me.

"Don't act like you don't know, Serena," he responded. "I'm sorry, but we're over." He turned back to Princess again. "Come on, Princess! We're leaving!"

Princess skipped over to us and the couple began walking past me. As they did, Princess flashed me an evil smirk.

This was officially the worst day ever. What could possibly go worse?

A loud clap of thunder began to sound and I started to feeling tiny droplets pouring down on me. Rain severely began falling down my face along with my tears.I began walking home soaking wet.
~
As I walked in, I noticed my mother sitting at the dining room table, her eyes glued to the novel she was holding. Usually, when I walk in, she would greet me cheerfully. But, for some mysterious reason, she decided to give me the silent treatment.

"Hi, Mom," I said, attempting to communicate with her.

She continued reading the novel, not uttering a single word.

Finally, anger began boiling inside of me. I was getting tired of this sudden disrespect I've been receiving when I have clearly done nothing! I refused to be treated this way!

I stormed over to my mother and snatched the book out of her hands.

She stood up and placed her hands on her hips as she shot me a firm glower. "Serena Sofia Flores! You hand me that book back right now!"

"Not until you tell me what's going on!" I shouted back.

"You will not talk to me in that tone, you understand me, young lady?"

"Why were you ignoring me?" I demanded her, ignoring her motherly scolding.

"Go to your room!"
"No! Not until you answer my question! Why were you ignoring me?" I didn't care how I was talking to my mother. I wanted her to answer my question whether she wanted to or not.

My mother became silent, the furious expression remaining on her face. "You know what? Don't go to your room, then. Instead, leave this house!"

What she said took me aback. Was my mother genuinely kicking me out?

"But Mom, you can't do that!" I exclaimed. "I'm your daughter!"

"Not anymore. Leave. Now! And do not come back in this house!"

I pounded my fist against the wooden table as a loud, enraged grunt escaped through my teeth. "Fine!" I shouted. "You or Dad don't have to see me ever again!" I stormed out of the house and slammed the door behind me. I looked up at the house. This beautiful bricked building that I have been living in for fifteen years, where it held countless memories, will never have to deal with me again.

Once again, I broke down in tears. I didn't know where I went wrong. The last few days that I have been living were perfectly normal. There were no drama, no fighting, just sweet, cheerful moments that I would never be able to relive again.

I continued crying and crying until I heard a familiar voice calling my name.
"Serena?"

I quickly looked up and scanned to see where the voice was coming from until I spotted my imaginary friend, Destiny.

"Destiny! Oh, thank goodness you're here!" I cried, pulling her into a hug even though it seemed like I was hugging the air.

Destiny was a sixteen-year-old African-American with jet black hair pulled into long pigtails. She was created as a quirky teenager wanting to be unique.

Destiny pushed me off and dusted herself off as if dirt was plastered on her clothes. "I didn't ask for a hug from you," she snapped.

"Can you please just tell me what I did wrong?" I pleaded.

"You really don't know?" she demanded.

"I really don't," I replied softly.

She rolled her flawless brown eyes. "Go watch the news."

I raised an eyebrow, confused by her commands. "What do you mean?"

"Just watch it!" she exploded, "and you'll see what I'm talking about."

"But, I can't watch it now. My mother kicked me out of the house."

"Then, read the newspaper. I don't care how you check the news." After saying that, she vanished quickly.

I began to think about what Destiny has ordered me to do. I walked around the town, seeking for a newspaper dispenser. As I found one, I snatched a packet from the machine and looked for the story that somewhat involved me. When I flipped to the next page, I noticed a photo of a girl that looked exactly like me! Then, I glanced at the heading above it that read, "Hispanic girl commits robbery in many homes."

© 2015 Leslie Flemons


Author's Note

Leslie Flemons
This is just a draft, but feel free to give some feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome And thank you for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Being a draft, I know you'll do more work on it, and you should because it's pretty interesting. As I read, I kept thinking, "What's she done to lose all her friends? Grown horns? Eaten a baby?" You're a good story-teller and have a great imagination.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Being a draft, I know you'll do more work on it, and you should because it's pretty interesting. As I read, I kept thinking, "What's she done to lose all her friends? Grown horns? Eaten a baby?" You're a good story-teller and have a great imagination.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

well written, the suspense kept me reading all the way to the end. I'd love to read more and find out why everyone is ignoring her. good job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Leslie Flemons

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading! I'm glad you liked it! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

302 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 17, 2015
Last Updated on August 19, 2015

Author

Leslie Flemons
Leslie Flemons

Louisville, KY



About
Hello, everyone! My name is Leslie and I am nineteen years old. I just finished my freshman year of college today. YAY! I can be pretty quiet and shy around people, but I also can be pretty funny .. more..

Writing