Alone Doesn't Mean on Your Own

Alone Doesn't Mean on Your Own

A Story by Squeve2021

As I wake up and look around, I remember where I am. I don't want to start another day. I just want to give it all up here, but I don't. Instead, I do the opposite. Why do most homeless people live so close to the president? I don't even understand such a question and I'm one of them. This make everyday identical;look for a job, get laughed at.
No one wants to hire a homeless person, even if that person is smart and keeps up with their hygiene. That doesn't matter anymore. People become homeless because they stand out and/or disagree with the way things are run. For me, it was and. Now, first things first, I need breakfast.
"If I had a job I wouldn't steal food from your trash bin!" I yell, with a mouthful of apple running for my "life." "In your dreams, pest!" The owner screams back. I hate it when people do that. Act higher than us. Even if "pest" is our technical name. I look over my shoulder to see the fat little man running at me with his evil grin. He reminds me of the Cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland. The one movie I've ever seen. Next thing I know I'm detained in someone's none-braking grasp.
As I struggle to escape I hear my captive's voice, "having trouble with your pest?" It's a man's voice. I'm not sure how I feel about it. "Oh no, she's not my pest. I would never want her. She stole from my garbage bin. Answers the owner. All of a sudden the stranger takes hold of me tighter than I thought was humanly possible. He holds on to my arms so I can't twist out of his grip. I've been hit enough times now so it doesn't bother me. Which is why when the owner punches me in the stomach I'm shocked. 
Everything that happens after is just a blur of pain. Then, a miracle happens, my human handcuffs loosen just enough to free me of shock. Automatically, I stomp on his foot which gives me the leisure to yank my elbow up hitting his lower jaw, which leads to my freedom. 
Halfway down the alley I hear someone run after me. I can tell by the grace of his steps it's my ex-captive. The bites of apple I had are coming back up. So I make a sharp turn to the right and then another to the left. During my last turn, my knees buckle and I puke out the few bites of food that were once my breakfast.
I hear the stranger walking around, looking for me. Soon, I'm on my knees with my eyes closed trying to ignore my hunter sitting next to me. What is he doing? It feels as if he's waiting for something. "What do you want?" I ask. "I want a conversation with you." In response, I walk away. 
Just as I'm walking towards Main Street i hear a police car behind me. I begin my plan, when I'm interrupted. " I apologize for the the behavior of my pest. You know how they can be. I ask her to get me some apples and she thinks I'm talking about a half-eaten apple in a garbage can." Did he seriously just call me his pest? Hasn't he done enough damage, already? Who is he? Well, whoever he is, he must be important because it worked! "What are you doing?" I ask as he pushes me to his car. "Shh, just go along with it! I'm trying to save your butt." Before I can protest he shoves me in the backseat. "What is your problem?" This guy is really starting to get on my nerves. "What are you talking about? I just got you out of that mess!" I think I'm annoying him, that's amusing. "All you did was find an excuse to get me in your car. Where are we going, anyway?" 
"Okay, I'll admit the police made my life easier. As for our destination, we're here."
"So your trying to tell me the only reason you helped that owner was so you wouldn't stand out?" This is ridiculous. "It's the law; any pest that goes against government code must be punished dependent upon damage." He explains. "Please stop calling us pests!"
Okay, I'm sorry, I don't mean to say pests, it's a habit. It'd be easier if I knew your name." 
"I still don't trust you."
Inside, the house if huge. it looks like the size of a castle. When he sees my expression he explains, "I have more on my island." Okay, this time I'm just curious. 
"Why? What do you use all the space for?" I think he likes my intrigue because I sense relief. 
"Come, I'll show you."
"Just so you know, I hate heights." 
"I think you've just never gone higher than a tall jump." I just glare. Wow, this helicopter is loud. How is it that everyone owns a helicopter? What do they even need it for? Unless...
"Does everyone have an island? It seems everyone has a helicopter, so why not an island too?" 
"You're curiosity amazes me. As well as you train of thought. Helicopters just what's "trending." I just shake my head and look out the window-thing. "Wow." It's amazing! No wonder helicopters are what everyone wants. It seems as if the world is alive. The bright green leaves on the branches waving. The wind exclaiming, "How do you?" As though every little thing has its own mind, its own voice. 
"I thought you didn't like heights." He shows me a picture he took of me on his phone. It's actually not that bad. I can't help give a slight laugh. "Okay, you got me. I guess I was wrong." 
"A laugh and admitting your wrong? Wow, I'm on a role!." I roll my eyes. 
"We're here! Welcome to my army!" Once I get out I understand. I'm standing in front of a training base for an army!
"What are you doing with an army? How does no one else know about this? Where did all these people come from? What-"
"Wow, wow, wow, slow down! This army, these people, are what some people call rebels. The government is beginning new plans. Soon we're all going to be bugged and have name tags and uniforms. All pests and disagreers will be used as soldiers. There will be chips placed in their brains to pretty much turn them into robots. Only, they'll still be able to understand what is happening around them." Ummm...
"So this army.."
"This army is formed for the revolution. We're going to fight back. These people are everything from pests to senators. They all blend so well with one enemy; the government. Many have become friends, couples, some have even married here. Our only rule is no children." We walk though the base and he points out all the important things as we talk. "So how do you keep all this a secret?"
"I'm the Vice President. I just say this is my happy place. That way no one dares to come down here."
"Okay, but why did you bring me down here?"
"Your parents, Jen and George began all this. They created the plans and gathered an army. All they needed was a safe place. A sanctuary where the army could recreate their lives, train. All was well, they found a place until could find something better. Until they were caught, just you your parents and a few others. Your mother was close to giving birth. Once you were born, your mother took you to my father. He knew he wouldn't be able to keep you, so he gave you to an orphanage. There, you were adopted." Information overdrive.
"I still have one question. How did you get involved?"
"My father was the Vice President. The job is passed down from father to son. Anyways, my father gained control over the army and transferred it to this island. When I became old enough he passed it all onto me and gave me a mission; to find you. We need your help. Will you be my partner in crime?" He finishes it off with a nervous smile. 
"Only on one condition."
"Which is?"
"I don't know your name."
"Mike"
"Anne"  

And a new beginning 
Arrives

© 2016 Squeve2021


Author's Note

Squeve2021
Please give me any feedback you might have. Don't worry about hurting my feelings, be tough. Is there anything you think I should add, delete, change, etc? Please let me know!
Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Respect, Squeve2021

The writing has a lovely flow, skillfully written sentences, simple yet informative straight to the point approach. I enjoyed how smoothly the plot unfolds.

Anne and Mike might be typical characters / stereotypes for a situation like theirs, but they still have recognizable voices. I do advice you to upgrade writing characters, making them more human.

All in all, I enjoyed reading it. Definitely keep on writing, the world needs writers who grasp their craft like you.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Satoshi IroTzu

7 Years Ago

Respect, Squeve2021

Characters more human simply means to make them relatable which .. read more
Squeve2021

7 Years Ago

I see what you mean. Thank you so much for the review, once again.
Never stop writing, enjoy.. read more
Satoshi IroTzu

7 Years Ago

Respect, Squeve2021

I`ll remember these words: "Never stop writing, enjoy it, be prou.. read more



Reviews

Respect, Squeve2021

The writing has a lovely flow, skillfully written sentences, simple yet informative straight to the point approach. I enjoyed how smoothly the plot unfolds.

Anne and Mike might be typical characters / stereotypes for a situation like theirs, but they still have recognizable voices. I do advice you to upgrade writing characters, making them more human.

All in all, I enjoyed reading it. Definitely keep on writing, the world needs writers who grasp their craft like you.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Satoshi IroTzu

7 Years Ago

Respect, Squeve2021

Characters more human simply means to make them relatable which .. read more
Squeve2021

7 Years Ago

I see what you mean. Thank you so much for the review, once again.
Never stop writing, enjoy.. read more
Satoshi IroTzu

7 Years Ago

Respect, Squeve2021

I`ll remember these words: "Never stop writing, enjoy it, be prou.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

265 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 30, 2016
Last Updated on October 30, 2016

Author

Squeve2021
Squeve2021

Buxton, ME



About
I'm a writer. That's the most important thing you should know about me. Not only am I a writer, but I'm a proud writer. more..

Writing
To Learn To Learn

A Poem by Squeve2021


To Smile To Smile

A Poem by Squeve2021