To Have a Reason

To Have a Reason

A Story by Squeve2021

I have so much homework tonight! I'm going to have to stay up later than I usually do. I miss the ice skating rink. Probably until ten, that should give me plenty of time. "What are you doing tonight? Do you want to hang out?" Seriously, how does she not have homework? "I can't, I have a ton of homework. Don't we have the same teachers? How do you not have homework?" 
"I never said I didn't. I just ignore it. I mean, what's the point?"
"I guess that's true. It's not like any of our teachers care."
"Then why do you stress over it?"
"Well... I don't know." That question is kind of disturbing. I guess it really doesn't matter.
"Listen, homework is useless. The teacher barely check. Just forget about it and come over tonight." Oh, why not?
"Sure, I have to check with my parents first but they should be fine with it."
"Cool! Here, why don't you call with my phone? That way you can just get off the bus with me." I take her phone and dial mom's number. After what feels like forever she finally picks up.
"Hello?"
"Hey mom, can I go over Clary's house?" 
"Don't you have homework?" Crap.
"No, my teachers gave us a break from homework for awhile." 
"Alright, you have never lied before so I have no reason not to believe you. I want you back home by eight, it's still a school night. I love you." 
"Okay, thank you. I love you too." With this, I hang up. 
"So, was that a yes?"
"Yeah, I just have to be home by eight."
"Great!" To her house we go.
Hours go by and I can't get this one thing out of my head; homework. I'm so worried about tomorrow. What if one of my teachers notice? Will I get in trouble or will they not care as usual? 
"Hello? Earth to Lise, come in Lise. What is your problem? You've been distracted all night and it's already seven forty. Is it boy trouble?"
"I'm just stressed about tomorrow."
"What's tomorrow?"
"I have homework due tomorrow that I haven't even looked at. I even lied to my mom about having homework." She rolls her eyes at me. 
"Relax, your mom will never know because our teachers don't care. You have nothing to worry about. Homework doesn't even affect your grades. Stop worrying so much." She has a point. 
"I guess your right. I should probably head home though."
"Whatever, you weren't much fun tonight anyways. Do me a favor and lighten up." Someone getting grumpy. She's probably right though.
"I"ll see you tomorrow." I leave without another word.
The next day I wake up dreading school. I'm terrified of the looks I'm going to get from my teachers. I know they won't say anything and really don't care but I have a bad feeling about today. I just push along and force myself to continue toward my doom. 
The day moves along and in each class I feel like the teacher is always staring at me. I finally go home at the end of the day just to come home to my parents glaring at me on the couch. What did I do now?
"Lise, sit down. Your mother and I need to talk to you." I hesitantly sit down, scared of what's to come. My father continues.
"Do you have any homework tonight?" My fear is replaced with confusion.
"What?" Crap, he looks annoyed.
"You heard me. Do you have homework tonight?" Still so confused.
"No, my teachers are giving us a little break from homework for awhile. Yes, I lied, like you haven't done it before.
"Just like last night, then...
see, that doesn't make sense since once of your teachers called to inform me that you didn't do your homework last night. He said he was worried you gave up on the notion and he continued to tell me you will have homework for the rest of the week. Would you care to explain?" I was caught! My teachers do care! Well, at least about my homework.
"I thought my teachers didn't care whether or not I did the homework. They always said they would never force it!" Now he's just disappointed.
"Just because you wouldn't get in trouble you thought it would be okay to skip out on school work?"
"It doesn't even affect my grades! I have no reason to do it!"
"No reason? Is that how you fell about it? It's practice to help you learn! You're teachers love how responsible you usually are. To do the extra work shows character. It creates an image. It shows who you are. Or are you not who I thought you were?"
"I'm sorry, I never thought about it like that. I am a hard worker, I am. I want to prove who I am. Above all I want you to be proud of me." He seems pleased with himself.
"Should punish you for lying and slacking off, but that's not who you are. I know you just made a mistake. Never forget who you are and what you're growing to be. I know this was a small thing, but I also know what really caused it. If you ever lose sight of your path, just remember your reason. That one thing that you fight for. That you never want to lose. Keep that and you'll keep everything important, nothing will stop you. Just find that reason." Wow, that was inspirational. 
"I think I understand what you mean." I'm about to say something else when I discover my reason.
"What's your reason?"
"You."

And a new beginning 
Arrives

© 2016 Squeve2021


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Critique: (How do you not ave homework?") not have homework? -- typo
(The teacher barely check.)Barely checks -- wrong verb form
(You're teachers love how responsible you usually are) Your -- It appears that the contraction "You're" should be a possessive pronoun instead.

Review: When there is dialog you need to identify who is doing the speaking each time, the way you have it written there is one person doing all the talking, You should also consider introducing the characters to set up the story, you have constructed an interesting story here but not knowing who is who in the story it is hard to invest a lot of interest in the characters. You have a nice flowing style and a talent for building intelligent dialog, you just need to work on structure, and a stronger introduction. Feel free to IM me if you have questions or there is anything I can do to help:~)


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Squeve2021

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the amazing review! I am so glad you have read this story. I have been having .. read more
Bear

7 Years Ago

An example would be:
I have so much homework tonight, me (name, here)! This is not right for .. read more
Squeve2021

7 Years Ago

That is very helpful, thank you so much for all of your help!



Reviews

Critique: (How do you not ave homework?") not have homework? -- typo
(The teacher barely check.)Barely checks -- wrong verb form
(You're teachers love how responsible you usually are) Your -- It appears that the contraction "You're" should be a possessive pronoun instead.

Review: When there is dialog you need to identify who is doing the speaking each time, the way you have it written there is one person doing all the talking, You should also consider introducing the characters to set up the story, you have constructed an interesting story here but not knowing who is who in the story it is hard to invest a lot of interest in the characters. You have a nice flowing style and a talent for building intelligent dialog, you just need to work on structure, and a stronger introduction. Feel free to IM me if you have questions or there is anything I can do to help:~)


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Squeve2021

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the amazing review! I am so glad you have read this story. I have been having .. read more
Bear

7 Years Ago

An example would be:
I have so much homework tonight, me (name, here)! This is not right for .. read more
Squeve2021

7 Years Ago

That is very helpful, thank you so much for all of your help!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 30, 2016
Last Updated on November 1, 2016

Author

Squeve2021
Squeve2021

Buxton, ME



About
I'm a writer. That's the most important thing you should know about me. Not only am I a writer, but I'm a proud writer. more..

Writing
To Learn To Learn

A Poem by Squeve2021


To Smile To Smile

A Poem by Squeve2021