Darling

Darling

A Poem by Askew

Watch me paint my lips
And colour my eyes
Rouge my cheeks 
And darken my brows
Until I'm a porcelain doll
A pretty little girl
Portrait of perfect
Pretend to love me
Pretend to care
Do you dare ask for my real face?
Darling do you want me here?
I will close my eyes
And cry without sound
Until twin black streaks
Mar my pretty pink cheeks
Would you like some loving, my love?
Painted red lips
That drip like blood
Face devoid of colour
Dull eyes shaded
Like an unlit carnival
The ghost of what once was bright
Honey bunny stay with me
And kiss my bleeding lips
Until I've stained yours pink
And you flee from the taste of iron
Run from me darling
From my pretty face
Before it melts away
And you're left with tears and bloodshot eyes

© 2018 Askew


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"And cry without sound" and "The ghost of what once was bright" nestled in all the others stand our for me .. the pain and empty shell of a girl ... deciding to use her love as a weapon ...maybe to pay back for her own stabbing pain ..
"Honey bunny stay with me
And kiss my bleeding lips
Until I've stained yours pink"
I read this straight through with ease ...it has a natural flow and rhythm ... the story unfolds in perfect time ... i had no thought to change a thing ..honest ... vivid and emotive as your "street girl" learns survival :( thanks so much for sharing Lexi!
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well, that's telling him. I've never been into the Baby Doll look forced on us by society. Imperfection adds character. Perfection just means more of the same. I'll take laugh lines and freckles any day.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Make-up masks what is hidden underneath. Maybe it's sorrow that is hidden under the layers. Love is love. You should be loved regardless of the make-up. Perhaps you are doubting the sincerity of another's feelings. Visual and sad.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


This is a powerful blend of very raw emotions put forth very impressively into words. Your emotions almost feels like a person in this write and as an artist, I feel grateful to come across this read!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Wow, this piece is very well written. There was a very smooth flow from it, which made it an even more pleasurable read. The imagery is vivid, and the implications of raw emotion and at the same time, lack-there-of from the other party is subtle. It is tragic that there is so much pain, and sorrowful emotions that one begs to question, is there any hope for her? Mind I ask, what was your biggest inspiration or motivation behind writing this piece?

Posted 5 Years Ago


Askew

5 Years Ago

One morning, back when I was still with my boyfriend that I've written about a couple times, I was g.. read more
Carthage Thorne| The Wildcard

5 Years Ago

Wow, that is a really interesting inspiration there and rather compelling too! The gravity of your e.. read more
I think every girl can relate to this--the "madeup" you and the "real" you. Perhaps I'm getting it wrong, but I understood the metaphor to makeup as not just a bare face versus one with makeup, but to apply to our outward versus inner selves. I like the visual images as well as the rawness of emotion, such as the pleading; all of it leads up to an impactful ending that contrasts the beginning. I also like the similar bluntness in the line, "flee from the taste of iron," like the last line.
Great work in invoking these images and emotion!

Posted 5 Years Ago


"And cry without sound" and "The ghost of what once was bright" nestled in all the others stand our for me .. the pain and empty shell of a girl ... deciding to use her love as a weapon ...maybe to pay back for her own stabbing pain ..
"Honey bunny stay with me
And kiss my bleeding lips
Until I've stained yours pink"
I read this straight through with ease ...it has a natural flow and rhythm ... the story unfolds in perfect time ... i had no thought to change a thing ..honest ... vivid and emotive as your "street girl" learns survival :( thanks so much for sharing Lexi!
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very great imagary! It also flowed very well! I enjoyed the poem a lot!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Painted red lips
That drip like blood
Face devoid of colour
Dull eyes shaded
Like an unlit carnival
The ghost of what once was bright
Honey bunny stay with me
And kiss my bleeding lips
Until I've stained yours pink

THIS STANDS OUT THE MOST....
This has a lot of imagery and detail, SO very well written.
Love this write. It is very good. Awesome job!

Posted 5 Years Ago


A very anecdotal poetical message highlighting; you shouldn't prejudge the worth or value of something by its outward appearance alone. If we ignore the inner qualities we risk rejection and comeuppance! Loved this piece - nice write ... :-)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Strong use of language made the reader believe every word.
"Honey bunny stay with me
And kiss my bleeding lips
Until I've stained yours pink"
The above lines. I did like. Thank you Lexi for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

381 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 16, 2018
Last Updated on December 16, 2018

Author

Askew
Askew

Canada



About
I’m 22, and don’t write as often as I’d like. more..

Writing
Hunger Hunger

A Poem by Askew



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..