Do You Love Her?

Do You Love Her?

A Poem by Askew

Don't pretend to love her
Save her the heartache

If her laugh doesn't make you stand a little straighter
And you don't panic at the thought of never hearing it again
You are not in love with her

If her eyes can't make your mind go blank
Or make you stop mid-sentence as you wonder what to say next
You are not in love with her

If her voice isn't enough to calm your worst fears
And it isn't the most soothing yet alluring sound in the world
You are not in love with her

If her smile doesn't remind you of a sunrise
And it doesn't make your hands shake because you want to take her in your arms
You are not in love with her

If the sight of her naked and vulnerable before you is when you pay the most attention
And you think that this is when she is the most beautiful
You are not in love with her 

© 2019 Askew


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Honest and true love. We must excite the mind first. Sex is pleasure and love is a blessing. Thank you Askew for sharing the amazing poetry. I did enjoy.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


It’s an amazing piece of work, and I can relate to it a lot.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Nice write and yeah darn be people with masks over their emotions. Loved it

Posted 4 Years Ago


The whole thing is like a punch to the gut. A very, realizing, piece. Beautifully written.

Posted 4 Years Ago


I feel like there's a really strong character narrating this--I can't help but let my imagination run wild about what the context is, who the "you" is. As it stands, I could see this in so many places, which is really cool. Perhaps it's a best man talking to the groom before the wedding, when those jitters are setting in. Perhaps it's an embittered ex-lover telling off her ex who's moved on. It could even be an estranged child telling their dad the skank he ran away for won't make him happy. But I digress.

I will ask if you'd consider rewording the bit "If the sight of her naked and vulnerable before you is when you pay the most attention" -- I think this is a really powerful point, but in my individual reading, the line broke up the meter/flow of the poem in a way that felt a little awkward. This is a nit-picky critique, because the poem is still fabulous as it is, but I thought I'd mention it.

Really lovely work, thank you for sharing!

Posted 4 Years Ago


Askew

4 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing. I don't want to take away the ability to interpret this the way one chooses.. read more
PonQo

4 Years Ago

I suspected that was your goal--good to know! And I totally respect that it's based on your own exp.. read more
Love is difficult to define, but you’ve identified the standards we used to measure it. As I read your poem, I saw truth explode on the screen. An exceptional poem and a message for every man and woman. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 4 Years Ago


This is a wonderful anthem for womanhood! I like the overall structure of the stanzas. Each stanza is packed with meaningful content.

I must say that love is reciprocal. A man and woman must equally cherish each other, feel the urgency of mutual togetherness, with mutual support and care.

Well done!!!

Posted 4 Years Ago


slam dunk Lexi ... the strongest close i have read yet today ... hits me right between the eyes ... when reading i almost wished to be smitten in just such a way ... but going through all that is too much to have a do over ;) love had great depth ... to find it in ones self .. and then in another is not an easy journey ..wonderful read for me ... things to ponder now as i sign off and watch the sun coming up ;)))
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


There are many stages to love, this is one of the more painful...to be consumed by it... You certainly captured some of the more insecure elements, which is a compliment! I looooove angsty writing, so keep it up!

Posted 4 Years Ago


3rd line... "though" should be "thought"

You have a high standard for love. As you get older you will see that real love is more about friendship, respect and general compatibility than all the tropes we are fed through watching movies and advertisements. There is truth in what you write about though, the beginning of falling in love is pretty much just like that. And as you alluded to in the first two lines... some people just fake it and it's a total dick move to do so. Usually it's just to get laid and usually it's guys who are guilty. Usually... not always.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Askew

4 Years Ago

You are right, I do have very high standards for love, and they've only gotten higher and higher as .. read more
Davidgeo

4 Years Ago

It's not a bad thing, having high standards for love. As long as you're not a total a*****e they wo.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 19, 2019
Last Updated on May 20, 2019

Author

Askew
Askew

Canada



About
I’m 22, and don’t write as often as I’d like. more..

Writing
Hunger Hunger

A Poem by Askew



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..