Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

A Chapter by Catherine

As a hard rain rattled the inn’s windows, the late hour saw people heading to their rooms for the night, and Noah and Kitera were seated at a better table. The few patrons that remained leaned forward, pipes in their teeth, mugs in their fists, listening to Jaden’s music"he played the fiddle now, using the instrument Noah had seen earlier on the stage.

A Tale of Two Knights. A special request from the crowd. Jaden slid the bow across the strings deftly, brow drawn in concentration.

Long sorrowful notes marked the end of the song.

A few people raised their glasses, saying: “For Matt.”

Noah thought he saw Jaden hurriedly wiping under his eye before turning to place the fiddle back in its case. Picking up his flute, Jaden leapt off the stage.

Kitera had made sure to order for him before the kitchens closed for the night. Though the food must be cold, Jaden ate like a starved wolf, while Kitera complimented his talent.

“My mother was quite the fervent teacher,” Jaden explained between two mouthfuls.

A Tale of Two Knights has always been one of my favorites,” Kitera said. “Did you know that the original story was really about two men?”

Jaden seemed impressed. “Very little people know that, actually.”

Kitera smiled. “My brother told me. He’s an actor, you see. That happens to be his favorite play, the original not the modern version…”

Noah suddenly remembered something, the thing that had been bothering him before; just after being healed, Jaden half-woke up and whispered the name Matt.

Was that the same Matt everyone kept talking about? Could be a different Matt. Lots of people were named Matt.

Hell of a coincidence that would be, though.

“I’m hitting the baths,” Noah announced.

 

***

 

The innkeeper had saved them a room after all, but it only had two narrow beds. Returning from the bath chamber, Noah found Kitera sitting on one of the cots, oiling her sword, while Jaden gazed out the window, leaning against the only piece of furniture"a small desk holding an oil lamp.

Noah dropped his bags at the foot of the other bed and started rummaging for his map.

“What happened to your hand?” Jaden asked him.

The cut was still red and slightly swollen across Noah’s palm.

“Can’t remember. A kitchen knife, a letter opener, a branch… World’s a dangerous place.” Noah found the folded map crumpled beneath some spare clothes. “Ha! There you are.”

“I have a cut in the exact same place,” Jaden said. “I can’t remember how I got it either.”

Kitera’s movements slowed as she ran the oiled piece of cloth across the edge of her long blade.

“People cut themselves all the time,” Noah said, sitting with the map of Fellera in his lap.

“Well,” Kitera cleared her throat, “I’m going to sleep. I’m not sharing, by the way.” She nodded down at her bed. “So you two sort it out.”

“I shall sleep on the floor,” Jaden said.

“Suit yourself,” Noah replied. 

Kitera sheathed her sword and put it away, then asked Jaden to help with the corset of her dress. He was surprisingly good at that, unlacing the tightly bound strings like it was second nature.

Noah found he couldn’t concentrate on his itinerary for the next day when Kitera was sighing in relief and massaging her breasts. Catching Noah’s staring, Jaden killed the lamp’s light, plunging the room in darkness.

“Thank you,” Kitera said to Jaden, followed by a ruffling sound; she was slipping under the sheets.

Tossing his map aside, Noah sank in his bed, trying to get comfortable. He was quick to deem the task impossible; he could feel the wooden frame under the too thin straw-filled mattress.

Still, it was better than the floor.

Kitera was already asleep, her even breathing interspersed with some light snoring.

With the crescent moon shining in the top corner of the window, Noah’s eyes slowly adapted to the dark. He saw that Jaden sat cross-legged on the floor, his back very straight.

 “What are you doing?” Noah whispered.

“Meditation.”

“Why?”

That made Jaden smile. “Fair question. I suppose I miss it. I haven’t practiced in a while, there’s been so much happening these past few months…”

“The Dragon’s cult?” Noah tried.

“Yes, that.” Jaden gave him a sidelong glance. “But, before that, of course, the war…”

“You served in the Etreon war?” Noah asked, slipping his arm under his head, turning fully to the side. “This last spring?”

“I did.” His tone was careful.

Noah’s gaze swept over the shapes of the bow and quiver leaning in a corner. “As an archer?”

“You’ve a keen eye for detail, master Noah.”

Noah tossed his pillow at him; Jaden caught it with sharp reflexes.

“Don’t make fun of me,” Noah said, “I don’t care if you’re the queen’s brother.”

Jaden laughed softly. “All right…”

“And it’s just Noah.”

Jaden held up the pillow. “Shall I keep this then, Noah?” 

 

***

 

They wanted to come with him.

“I should like to travel with you,” Jaden announced over breakfast. “If you don’t mind.”

They were seated by the hearth, various noises coming from the kitchens; the cook ordering maids about, the scuffing of their soft leather shoes across floor tiles, the clatter of pot lids.

“I mind,” Noah said. “I mind very much. Why do you want to travel with me? You don’t even know me.”

If Kitera listened, she pretended not to, very intent on her eggs, ham and potatoes, with the occasional sip of tea.

“I happened to catch you looking at your map earlier,” Jaden said. “Dedrifel is one of your destinations, isn’t it?”

Dedrifel, Noah recalled from his lessons, meant Last Snows in the ancient language.

“So?” Noah inquired.

Jaden leaned forward. “You saved my life, let me make it up to you.  My grandfather, Lyonel Fairlocks, is lord of Dedrifel. I could introduce you. What do you say?”

Noah briefly sought Kitera’s eyes, but she ignored him.

The catalyst may very well be in this lord’s manor.

Noah cleared his throat. “All right, then. Come along if you must. But it will be boring. I’m simply looking for some… old manuscripts and texts. For my tutor.”

 Jaden smiled. “My grandfather’s library shelters one of the most impressive collections in the realm. You should find whatever it is you seek, I’m sure of it.”

“Well, get your stuff, then,” Noah said, pushing himself off the table. “We’re leaving. Kit, finish your tea.”

Halfway risen from his chair, Jaden arched an eyebrow. “Kit?”

Damn it.

“Yes, I… like giving people nicknames,” Noah said. “It’s a hobby.”

“I see.” A glint in Jaden’s eyes betrayed his amusement. “Oh, I’ve been meaning to ask, is that my scarf you’re wearing?”

Noah’s hands went to his neck. “No it isn’t.”

“It’s quite all right,” Jaden said, “you can keep it.”

“My grandmother,” Noah told him, “made that scarf for me, before she died.”

Jaden lowered his gaze. “My apologies. I could’ve sworn that was my uniform scarf.”

After one last sip of tea, Kitera leapt to her feet.

“I’m ready,” she announced. “Let’s go?”  



© 2017 Catherine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on January 22, 2017
Last Updated on March 11, 2017
Tags: Fantasy, adventure, romance, humor


Author

Catherine
Catherine

Montreal, Canada



About
I've been writing for a long time and I've only recently discovered this website. Don't hesitate to send me a message or a friend request, I think writers have got to stick together. Read and review a.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Catherine


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Catherine


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by Catherine