Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

A Chapter by Catherine

Tessa

 

Flinching at the rustling of feathers, she spun as a big red-tailed hawk landed gracefully upon her windowsill, folding his wings.

“I’ve been expecting you,” Tessa said softly.

Her bare feet made no sound on the fluffy carpet as she went to the window. This was not her first time seeing Kitera’s demon, but truthfully she still felt nervous around it.  

Tessa untied the rolled piece of parchment from the hawk’s claws and began reading.

Clearly scribbled in haste, Kitera’s note didn’t reveal much, save that Noah Starborn might be suspicious.

All the more reason to have sufficient leverage on him, Tessa reminded herself. She would take care of that soon.

Fingers closing on the nearest quill she could find, Tessa penned a quick reply, instructing Kitera to carry on with everything as planned.

After the small roll of parchment was secured in his grasp, the hawk took flight, shedding a feather. Tessa closed the window, shivering. She was adjusting a gossamer shawl about her shoulders when the guard announced: “The lady, um, healer Bellissa Ethemani.”

“Let her in,” Tessa called, rolling her eyes"the guards always fumbled with titles.

Bellissa slipped in quietly, holding a small tray with a single cup on it. She set it down on the low table, next to the other trays bearing delicacies Tessa hadn’t yet touched.

A sigh escaped Tessa’s lips as she eyed the contents of the cup.

“Everything all right?” Bellissa asked, taking place on one of the sofas, replacing her skirts. She reached for a slice of pear.

Tessa sat next to her friend. “I’ve been meaning to tell you, I should not be needing that potion anymore.”

This particular concoction was the main reason for noble ladies paying high prices for Bellissa’s services. Tessa was not the virgin queen the realm thought her to be. But the image was easy to maintain, given there had never been a single pregnancy.

“Things aren’t good with Tomas, I take it?”

Her ten year long affair with Tomas Clay, high captain of Fellera’s army, was a secret well-kept from all but three people. Bellissa was one of those three.

“He knows about the engagement. I wished for him to hear it from me. It shall be publically announced in six days, at the ball,” Tessa said.

Bellissa nodded slowly as she spread cheese onto a slice of bread. Discussing Tomas pained Tessa, but she supposed Bellissa was the perfect person for it. She was the kind that listened much and spoke little. Far along in her thirties, Bellissa was gifted with pleasing curves yet favored simple garb, her dresses loose rather than tight, choosing comfort over fashion. The noble ladies residing at the castle mocked her for it. If they knew how little Bellissa cared, they might stop. Or perhaps not; Tessa supposed those women truly had no better occupation with which to fill their days.

 “What did Tomas say?” Bellissa asked.

“Nothing.” Tessa clutched a pillow to her lap and started plucking at a loose thread in the gold embroidery. “He’s disappointed, of course.” She tried to keep her voice level, to hide how much it hurt.

She wished her dogs were here. Her chambers always felt rather empty without them, and their presence comforted her. But the maids had taken Warrior and Onyx out for their morning stroll.

“Disappointed you’re getting married,” Bellissa asked carefully, “or disappointed you’re getting married to the Azurian heir?”

Tessa threw her hands in the air. “Both. Well, he’s likely the only soul in the entire realm that disapproves of a marriage"I’m not getting any younger and Fellera needs an heir. The gods help us all if one of my dreadful cousins ends up on that throne.” She shook her head. “But a marriage to an Azurian… Tomas is hardly the only one upset about that. People simply don’t understand. I have no choice. It’s over.”

Fortified as it was, her castle might very well hold. But a siege would have them all starving before half the winter had gone. That’s if the Azurians’ black mages didn’t kill them all first with their dirty tricks.

Tessa breathed a sigh. “This alliance is our only hope. I received another letter from Emperor Shezenos yesterday, and he confirms that even if I marry his son, Fellera will be free to worship her gods. We stay true to our language, our traditions.”

Bellissa took a sip of coffee. Tessa reached for her cup and did likewise. The coffee happened to be a gift sent by the emperor"their correspondence had its perks.

“What about the Azurian ways concerning marriage?” Bellissa inquired.

Tessa settled back in her sofa, porcelain cup in her lap.

“He insists Myzian should have many wives,” Tessa admitted grudgingly. “Though Myzian assures me he couldn’t care less. He says that if I marry him, he shall be so blessed he’ll never need"or even think of"another.”

“How very romantic.”

“I nearly fainted,” Tessa said, voice heavy with scorn.

Bellissa voiced a chuckle. She waited a beat, then: “You should eat something, Tessa.”

 “Perhaps later.”

Through the door, the guard’s voice came again. 

“High captain Tomas Clay, your majesty.”

Tessa’s shoulders tensed, and she saw the uncertainty in Bellissa’s eyes.

“You can stay,” Tessa said softly, answering her friend’s unspoken question. Louder, she said: “Please come in, Tomas.”

The man who had been her father’s best friend entered the room, closing the door carefully behind himself. The age difference had never bothered Tessa. Still very athletic at thirty nine, with curling light brown hair and vibrant blue eyes, Tomas Clay could have been her king consort. Sadly he was already wed to a noble lady here at court. They had been married before the gods by Morgan Ellyus himself, when Tessa was far too young to know the depth of her feelings.

In Fellera, marriage was forever. And the gods were always watching. 

“What can I do for you, Tomas?” Tessa asked, pushing herself up from the sofa.

He wore his black uniform, lined in gold, with the blue star of Fellera emblazoned upon his breast. He had a healthy tan from spending a great deal of time outside over the spring and summer.

Tessa fought the urge to go to him and kiss him… This was why she needed Bellissa to stay.

Tomas answered her question with another: “Could we be alone?”

Tessa’s response was immediate. “No.”

He lowered his voice. “Tess, please, I was hoping we could talk.”

She wished he wouldn’t call her that right now.

“I’m afraid my answer stands.” It hurt to be so cold, but she had to. “There’s nothing left to discuss.”

A dreadful, sinking feeling washed over her at the look he gave her. She clenched her fists. She couldn’t let it show.

 “I see,” Tomas said. For a moment there was only the crackling of the fire, and the sound of Bellissa pouring more coffee into her cup. “Well, lord Myzian,” Tomas’s mouth twitched at the words, “wishes to see you. A guard was on his way to let you know, and I said I’d tell you myself. I reckon it’s about his sister.”

“This again,” Tessa muttered.

Myzian and his bloody sister.

“Thank you, Tomas,” Tessa said, “I shall visit Myzian shortly. There’s something I must take care of first. Would you fetch a guard for me? One of Kitera’s new recruits, perhaps; I find their keenness is unrivaled.”

 “Of course, right away, your majesty.” Tomas gave a curt bow"she was not the only one who could be cold.

 “One last thing. I wish for you to return to the Barracks. Today. We’ve lost a lot of soldiers in the war, and I should like you to supervise the young ones’ training.”

 “Forgive me, but I was under the impression,” Tomas said, “that we were entering times of peace, what with the new alliance.”

Tessa raised her chin. “One must always be prepared. Are you suggesting leniency with the training of our new soldiers?”

The hint of a smile crossed Tomas’s face"a sorrowful smile, if smile there was.

“Of course not. I shall leave today, and spend the winter there unless you call back for me.”

He left after one last look at her.

Tessa sat down slowly, feeling cold.

“Are you all right?” Bellissa asked softly, startling her.

 “I will be,” Tessa said. This is for the best.



© 2017 Catherine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on January 28, 2017
Last Updated on March 11, 2017
Tags: Fantasy, adventure, romance


Author

Catherine
Catherine

Montreal, Canada



About
I've been writing for a long time and I've only recently discovered this website. Don't hesitate to send me a message or a friend request, I think writers have got to stick together. Read and review a.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Catherine


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Catherine


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by Catherine