Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

A Chapter by Catherine

 

Noah

 

They sat together on a backless wooden bench, under a lantern and colorful banner. Next to them was a stand with a white and red striped awning, where two girls in aprons sold mulled wine, cider and sweets"the most popular were caramel apples.

By the fire, Kitera danced tirelessly, smiling and hitching her skirts at her hip with one hand.

Jaden followed his gaze. “So you two do know one another.”

Noah voiced a faint chuckle. “You don’t sound shocked.”

Jaden didn’t reply.

Noah offered his scarf. “Here. You can have that back.”

“I thought your grandmother made that for you,” Jaden said, a smile hiding in the corner of his lips.

“She would want you to have it,” Noah replied.

Laughter escaping his lips, Jaden accepted the scarf.

“I was wondering… Is Kitera romantically involved?” Jaden asked.

Noah arched an eyebrow. “Are you really asking me that?”

“I’m curious,” he confessed.

“She does have a boyfriend, and no it’s not me. Sorry. Well, you could try to break them up,” Noah shrugged, “but then he might kill you.”

Jaden shook his head. “I wasn’t… No matter. She’s an amazing woman.”

“She is,” Noah said.

“But,” Jaden added, “I must admit she eludes me. She’s with your cult"assuming cult there is"whilst she serves my sister. Where do her loyalties truly lie?”

Noah sighed. “I’m really hoping that was a rhetorical question because I don’t know what the hell I can respond to that.”

Jaden nodded silently, gaze lingering upon a group of people walking away with just-purchased caramel apples.

“Do you want one?” Noah asked him.

Jaden smiled. “Perhaps later. To be honest I can’t stop thinking about your demon… Is she human?” He searched Noah’s eyes.

“My strategy,” Noah explained, “was to entice you with a caramel apple, so you’d forget all about that, forever.”

“A fair strategy.”

Noah ran a shaky hand through his hair. “Listen, this is weird, for me. I’ve been keeping this secret for five years...”

“Five years? How old were you when you bonded with your demon?”

“Fifteen,” Noah answered.

Jaden frowned. “Forgive me, but your cult leader has questionable methods. From what I learned, the Dragon would never approve of performing the ceremony for one so young.”

“By the gods, he sounds charming. I especially like how he cursed you with some incurable disease that was poisoning your blood. Truly, a man to look up to.”

For a few moments neither of them said a word. Jaden wrapped his coat tighter against the rising wind, the banner above their heads flapping wildly.

“Don’t judge when you don’t know anything,” Noah said.

“You’re right. My apologies.”

“And stop apologizing all the bloody time.”

Jaden’s lips twitched into a smile.

“May I inquire as to why you did it?” he asked Noah.

“Did what?”

“Why did you heal me?” A shadow crossed his eyes. “You got a scar for it, didn’t you?”

“I don’t care,” Noah said. “And I did it for the gold.”

Jaden shook his head. “You went through all that trouble. You pretended to be the healer’s son…”

“Heard about that, did you? Truth is I didn’t really pretend.”

Jaden waited a beat. “So, the name Starborn isn’t a coincidence?”

“When I found out, he was already a dying man. What is it?” Noah asked; Jaden had an odd expression on his face.

“Nothing. I was simply thinking that… That’s something we have in common.”

“What are you talking about?”

But whatever that expression had been, it was gone.

“It’s nothing. Never mind.” Leaping to his feet, Jaden added: “How about that caramel apple?”

 

***

 

The next day saw them traveling across a thick fog that veiled the hills and hid the sun. Kitera’s mood seemed as sullen as the weather - too much of that ale, perhaps.

It would have been an uneventful journey, save for their running into a band of thugs.

Clothed in rags that barely held together, they stood in the middle of the road with sticks for weapons, asking for coin purses, horses and boots.

“You make a lot of demands,” Kitera said, dark eyes narrowing. “How about we let you go unscathed if you let us through?”

She unsheathed her blade in one graceful arc. Next to her, Jaden already had an arrow notched, bow drawn. Noah didn’t bother reaching for his knives"the thugs were already running away, disappearing in the fog.

They rode on in silence, but it seemed the encounter had troubled Jaden.

“Perhaps we should have offered some gold…”

“You won’t solve the bigger problem with a little bit of gold,” Noah replied.

“I did hear poverty was getting worse in the north,” Jaden said. “Of course, perhaps my sister is doing something to that effect.”

“Maybe we should ask Kitera,” Noah said. “She’s friendly enough with the queen.”

Where do her loyalties truly lie?

Back very straight as she rode her tall grey, Kitera shot him a glare over her shoulder.

“The queen,” she said, “is doing the best she can. Try running a country before you speak ill of her efforts.”

“Gods’ sakes, Kit, I didn’t speak ill of anything,” Noah said. “You’re awfully touchy.”

She ignored that. “Let’s pick up the pace. I’d like to find a village with a decent inn before nightfall.”

 

***

 

Most of the fog lifted in the late afternoon, allowing for the sight of a village that crested a hilltop. The smoke of several chimneys curled up from slate roofs, grey columns reaching to meet heavy, opaque clouds. The chilled wind held the promise of rain, and the sky was darkening quickly.  

They guided their tired mounts up the slope, forests lining either side of the path.

Suddenly Kitera reined Bolt in.

“What are you doing?” Noah asked. “We need to reach the village before dark you said so yourself.”

“Shh! There’s something going on in the woods,” Kitera said.

“So?” Noah replied, but she just hushed him again.

Jaden moved closer to Noah. “I can’t see anything,” he whispered.

“Be quiet, both of you.” Kitera threw them a sharp look. “You’ll hear them, if you bother to listen.”

She was right. It was… some kind of chanting. It seemed an indistinct blur of syllables, Noah couldn’t make out the words. And he thought he caught the light of torches flickering in the depths of the woods.

“Do you think this might be a black magic ceremony?” Jaden asked.

“I don’t think so,” Noah said.

To his knowledge their cult was the only one left in Fellera.

 Jaden’s face went very pale. “Then, that means…”

“Sacrifice ritual,” Kitera finished for him, traits hardening, fists clenched tight as she clutched Bolt’s reins.

She rushed the tall grey into the woods, leaning against his withers to avoid the branches.

“Kit, wait,” Noah called, but she ignored him.

Jaden went after her.

“Not you, too!” Noah called. “Why should we care about some stupid religious thing? It’s none of our business…”

Cursing, Noah led Shadow after Silver, his irritation growing further as he wasn’t careful and branches slapped his face.

Why do I have to be traveling with bloody lunatics?

In the thickening darkness, the horses threaded the treacherous ground, avoiding protruding roots and other obstacles as best they could.

The chanting grew louder, and Noah caught a few verses, as several voices recited the words in unison. …For Melea; may the women bear children, may their children be healthy and strong… For Kemon; may you forgive us when we sin, may you reward our bravery when we fight in your name…

Noah failed to see how getting mixed up in this was any kind of productive.

He tried voicing his concerns. “Oy, I really don’t think"”

“In the name of the queen,” Kitera suddenly shouted, and Noah heard more than saw her unsheathe her sword, “stop this at once!”

Oh hell, is she serious?

She was. And Jaden was right next to her, bow and arrow ready in a matter of seconds. The chanting stopped abruptly.

Shadow halted behind the two other horses, dried leaves crunching under his hooves. Looking up Noah saw a round piece of flatland where trees had been sawed off. About a dozen people stood in a rough circle, most of them men in their middle years or older, holding lit torches. They all turned their hard glares towards the intruders.

One of the oldest men appeared to be the leader. He was clothed in fancier garb than the others; a tick velvet cloak lined with ermine fur. Instead of a torch, he held a long dagger in his hand, with diamonds embedded in the gilded hilt, sparkling in the torchlight through the man’s wrinkled fingers.

“Who dares interrupt the sacred ritual?” He shouted back at Kitera in a hoarse voice.

Noah cast his eyes over the stone slab erected in the center of these people’s circle, on which a young man lay naked, wrists and ankles tied with ropes, curled up on his side, surely in an attempt for warmth. He had copper hair and pale skin, and seemed Jaden’s age, maybe even younger.

“I speak for the queen!” Kitera exclaimed. “What you’re doing is a crime. Stop this madness right now.”

“For centuries,” the old man replied, “the gods have protected us and in return the gods must have blood. The gods’ spite will befall your queen!”

His eyes were full of disdain. Some of the torch-bearing men murmured their approval, while others eyed Kitera’s sword and Jaden’s bow apprehensively. 

“Watch your tongue!” she spat at him, her brown eyes fierce as fire.  

The old man dismissed her. “The gods must have blood,” he insisted, turning his gaze back to the red-headed kid.

Noah palmed a throwing knife.

“Step away from him, priest,” Jaden said, and though his voice was calm, the threat was evident in the tautness of his bowstring.

One of the men uttered a warning, addressing his leader, but still the old priest wouldn’t listen, mumbling something again about the gods and their need for blood.

“I said stand back!” Jaden shouted.

The priest raised his dagger.

Jaden’s arrow flew home, piercing the man’s heart.

As his followers gasped, the old man fell with a dull thump, the dagger still clutched in his rigid grasp. The heady scent of blood filled the air already.

Seeing Jaden notching another arrow, the men scrambled away into the trees, one of them dropping his torch as he ran. Jaden released an arrow, then another, screams and the sounds of bodies stumbling and falling drifting from the woods, before Noah grabbed Jaden’s shoulder.

“Stop! That’s enough!”

Jaden froze then slowly lowered his bow, his hands beginning to tremble.

Kitera dismounted and went to gather up the torch. Noah was right behind her, knife in hand. He sliced the ropes, freeing the kid’s ankles and wrists. Jaden came with his unstrapped saddle bags, fumbling inside until he drew out some wool-lined trousers and jacket.

He only spoke after putting the clothes on, still shivering. “Thank you… I don’t know what to say. They always said that… it’s an honor to be chosen. Honor my a*s. These sadistic f***s.” His gaze fell on Kitera. “Excuse my language my lady,” he added.

“Will you be all right?” Kitera asked.

“I guess. I can’t stay here, though.” He glanced in the direction of the village. “I might go to Veicira, offer my services to the queen.”

“Do what you must,” Kitera said simply. She strode over to Bolt and remounted, still holding the torch.

Noah walked back to Shadow as well, realizing he couldn’t wait to leave this place. He kept forcing his gaze away from the dead priest on the ground.

“What’s your name?” Jaden asked him.

“Liandris.”

“Have you need coin for your travels, Liandris?” Jaden’s hand reached for his coin purse.

But Liandris shook his head, and bent over to unclasp the dagger from the priest’s hand, eyes trailing over the inlaid diamonds.

“I should find a buyer for this kind of thing in Veicira.”

Recalling the prancing nobles swarming the main streets of the capital, eager to spend their coin, Noah gave Liandris a nod.

“You should.”

Liandris returned his nod, then turned back to Jaden. “You’re a skilled archer. I wish I could shoot like that.” When Jaden didn’t comment, Liandris asked: “Will I see you in Veicira?”

“It’s possible,” Jaden answered, before casting a glance towards the woods. “You’ll want to pack a few things… Can you find your way back in the dark?”

“Sure. I’ve lived here my whole life,” he answered.

“I’d like you to deliver a message for me,” Kitera said. “The queen will hear of what transpired here. Guards will be sent for an investigation, and if there is the slightest hint of any more such rituals, the people responsible will be brought to justice. If your village’s folk need to refresh their memories the queen’s law states the punishment for the sacrifice of animals is imprisonment; for the sacrifice of a human, the sentence is death.”

Liandris gave her a grave nod. “I’ll be sure to remind them, my lady.”

 “Good,” Kitera said.

“Watch out for thieves,” Noah said as a final piece of advice. “Hide that dagger well… or learn to use it.”  

 

***

 

“You’ve changed,” Noah told Kitera as they rode side by side, back on the road; spending the night at the village might have been awkward given they’d just murdered their priest and two of his followers.

The sky was painted in cobalt, streaked with grey clouds. Even with the golden halo cast by Kitera’s torch, the trees and shrubs lining the hillsides seemed menacing shadowy shapes.

“How do you mean?” she asked.

“Why was it so important for you to stop the ritual?”

She had been peering up at the sky for a sign of Red"she’d sent her demon scouting for a place where they could camp for the night"but now she fixed Noah with a harsh glare.

“Am I to understand you’d rather that poor boy had been butchered by that sickening old man?”

He resisted the urge to snap at her. You know me better than that.

Glancing over his shoulder, Noah saw that Jaden was too far behind to hear, patting his horse comfortingly, seemingly lost in his own thoughts.

“You talk like them now,” he pointed out to Kitera, “do you know that? Even when we’re alone sometimes.”

“And is that so bad? I didn’t change, Noah. I’m still myself - hell, I’m more myself than I was before,” she said.

“You care about her, don’t you? The queen,” Noah replied.

Kitera remained stubbornly silent. Noah felt a raindrop on his hand, and saw one trickle down Kitera’s cheek.

“I think Red’s coming back,” Kitera said quietly, observing the sky.

“About ritual sacrifice, I get it,” Noah went on, speaking in pleading tones. “I’ve seen it with my own eyes now. Those people have to be stopped. But black magic is just as criminal to your queen, Kit. What happens when she finds out about you?”

“I can look after myself,” was all Kitera said.

The raindrops came more steadily now, but Kitera’s demon was indeed flying back towards them, his timing on point. 

They followed the hawk, away from the road, onto a path between two steep hills. Darkness engulfed them from all sides, even with the torchlight. Noah wiped rainwater from his brow. He couldn’t see Red anymore.

“Over here,” Kitera called, waiting for them to catch up.

There was a hollow in the rock, just tall and wide enough for a proper shelter from the rain.

“We spend the night here,” she announced.  



© 2017 Catherine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on February 12, 2017
Last Updated on March 11, 2017
Tags: Fantasy, adventure, romance, humor


Author

Catherine
Catherine

Montreal, Canada



About
I've been writing for a long time and I've only recently discovered this website. Don't hesitate to send me a message or a friend request, I think writers have got to stick together. Read and review a.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Catherine


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Catherine


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by Catherine