Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

A Chapter by Catherine

Noah

 

Several times as they plodded along the White Mounts pass, Noah gazed up to find a big black bird circling over them high up in the sky. Except it was too big to be any species of bird he knew, considering the impressive width of its wings, visible from the ground even at that altitude. Noah didn’t show the others; the pass was narrow, the wind strong, and daylight fading. Shaking it off Noah focused on the path ahead, he could always mention it later.  

The pass eventually let to a smooth, wider path down a hillside. They could hear the trickle of water in the distance, and Noah’s heart leapt at the sound"they were coming near the Dedrifel Bridge. Little stone houses started to clutter the low hillsides, their slate roofs peaking from the trees with smoke curling up from chimneys.

The bridge was a pretty thing made of pale, smooth stone, wide enough for four horses, with the railings worked and carved in intricate patterns, almost like lace, as it arched over the Fel River.

On the other side they guided their mounts along a paved road that brought them to the town center, where houses gave way to little shops, noisy taverns and open markets, with displays of firewood, stacks of wool, and a butcher standing behind his stand, shouting the excellence of his freshly hunted deer and giving passersby free cooked samples to taste. Noah’s stomach growled.

Great, now he was hungry and sore-his abs still ached from that blow, the truth was Kitera packed a mean punch.

It was a charming village, with cobblestone alleys meeting the main road, gardens and trees abounding. People went about their business in their wool coats and hats, sometimes sparing Kitera and Noah an odd look.

“Frankly I believe they’re jealous,” Jaden told them after one such look. “You two and your stunning black hair, and that.” 

“Well aren’t you just the sweetest,” Noah replied.

A wave of anticipation swept through him as they rode on, away from the town center. They were actually here. After everything, after all the distractions. With Kili’s help, they definitely would find the catalyst, wait ‘til everyone was nice and asleep, and steal it away.  

~ You seem awfully confident. ~

Have a little faith, spider girl.

Now packed dirt rather than cobblestones, the narrow path they followed wound through the woods, tall pine trees swaying in a biting cold wind, many stars already shining in a dark blue sky.

After a quarter hour’s meandering, Noah held his breath as the manor appeared beyond the forest. Much wider than it was tall, it seemed made entirely of pale granite, with several porches and balconies bearing delicate stonework railings, and soft golden light shining through some of the windows. The path narrowed further as it now led them across gardens of hedgerows and flowerbeds, just before the set of stairs that led to the doors.

“What now?” Noah said in a low voice.

Jaden answered in the same hushed tone: “I suppose I shall go first.”

“All right, we’ll stay here with the horses. Why are we whispering?” Kitera asked.

A small smile tugged at Jaden’s lips. “I don’t know. Noah started it, didn’t he?”

Noah gave a helpless shrug.

Jumping out of the saddle, Jaden handed Silver’s reins to Kitera. Noah watched as he loped up the stairs, hesitated for a second, then rapped the bronze knocker against the grand double doors. Jaden had filled in over the past four days, Noah noted, lithely muscular now rather than skinny.

A small, white-haired man opened and stood in the doorway, his uniform impeccable, shoes shining like they’d just been polished. He held a little oil lantern, his facial expression shifting from guarded to astonished in the span of time Jaden spoke.

Whipping round, he gestured wildly, as though speaking to someone.

A few seconds later, two young men in uniform hurried down the steps, shoes clicking against stone. Noah and Kitera exchanged a glance before leaping down their horses.

“You can leave them in our care,” one of the young men said, gaze lingering longer than necessary on Kitera, a blush reddening his pale cheeks.

The other swiftly added: “Your personal belongings shall be brought to your rooms. My lord, my lady.” He bowed, nudging his colleague, who scrambled into a bow as well.

Kitera started to shake her head. “No, we aren’t"”

“Thank you!” Noah cut her off. “We would also like hot baths and fresh towels.”

“Of course, my lord.”

With another bow they left with the horses, towards the side of the manor house.

“Noah!” Kitera exclaimed.

“What appears to be the problem my lady?”

They started up the stairs, Kitera rolling her eyes.

Jaden brought them to a circular hall where tall wall panels ended in heavy gold and silver gilt as they met the high ceiling.

A single painting adorned the wall, of a beautiful woman posing in a pale green lace dress, with long wavy blonde hair and a shy, though lovely, smile. At first Noah thought she resembled Tessa. Then he realized the resemblance with Jaden was even more striking. It was the eyes mostly; same grey eyes, prettily shaped under an elegant brow. Noah couldn’t help but ask.

“Is that your mother?”

Jaden nodded, though his eyes avoided the painting.

The liveried old man cleared his throat and introduced himself as Hans, chamberlain of the household.

“Should you need anything, or have any questions, don’t hesitate. Now, let me take you to your rooms. I’ve already sent someone to inform lord Fairlocks of your arrival.”

They followed him to a set of stairs that brought them to the upper level, where narrow halls awaited, Hans turning this way and that. Lamps in iron brackets, spaced far apart, illumined golden floor tiles. The chamberlain finally stopped, and motioned to the two doors on their left.

“Your rooms. My lords,” he bowed. “My lady. Hot water will be brought so you can wash and change into more appropriate attire.” He eyed Kitera’s breeches, but faltered at the glare she shot him. “Dinner will be downstairs, in one hour.”

“Thank you,” Jaden said. “We’re so grateful for your hospitality.”

Hans nodded, smoothing back his white hair. “Well, it’s only natural. Lord Fairlocks will be very… very pleased to see you.”

With that he straightened and briskly walked away, lantern dangling from his hand.

“Yes, I told them you were a lord and lady,” Jaden said before they could ask. “We met in Veicira, became friends, and I chose you as traveling companions.” He glanced at Noah, a glint in his eyes. “You, my friend are a wealthy and well-learned Laethi lord, seeking travels and knowledge, and you,” his eyes darted to Kitera, “are his Azurian wife.”

“Jaden!” Kitera yelped.

Noah laughed. “I can’t pull off-”

“He can’t pull off being a lord,” Kit stated.

“No"I can’t pull off being her husband.” He stuck a thumb out, pointed at Kitera.

“My grandfather,” Jaden explained, “is a very traditional man. To him, the idea of a woman traveling with two men, married to neither, is unthinkable. So please bear with it, don’t kill each other. I shall see you in an hour.”

He slipped into his room, shutting the door.

“Well,” Noah said.

Kitera’s hands were at her hips. “I am not sharing my room with the likes of you.”

“Oh come on Kittycat, it won’t be that bad.”

“I don’t want spiders in my bath water, thank you very much.”

“No spiders, I promise. Maybe one. Waterspiders are so cute. They just want love, Kit.”

He could feel a slap coming.

 

***

 

Later, alone in his room, Noah was finished washing the grime off his skin and hair with the soap"he’d also taken the time to shave"but he lingered in the copper tub a little longer, relaxing his sore muscles, watching the flames dancing in the hearth.

Do you feel anything?

~ No. I’m sorry. ~

Naive of him, he supposed. That would have been too easy.  

How am I supposed to find this bloody thing?

~ Have a little faith, Noah. ~

He smiled.

Can I see you?

~ We can’t right now… Someone’s coming. ~

She was right. There was a knock, and the door opened before Noah could answer.

It was Jaden, holding a bundle of folded clothes. “I thought you might need something to wear.”

“Starting to really loathe your timing, man,” Noah told him.

Jaden closed the door.

“Why?”

Noah clicked his tongue. “Never mind. What’s wrong with my clothes?”

“They’re hardly a lord’s clothes, are they? Now, how slow are you? Even Kitera’s done getting dressed.”

As Noah stepped out of the tub and started drying himself with a towel, Jaden explained that his grandfather kept a bunch of clothes from the time he and his wife were younger.

Hair cleaned, detangled and tied, Jaden stood in fresh boots, black trousers and a green coat, embroidered silver leaves adorning the sleeves.

Noah’s outfit turned out to be the same as Jaden’s, except his coat was blue with embroidered golden leaves.

“Your grandfather sure likes leaves,” Noah said, struggling into the trousers.

He caught Jaden’s staring"staring at his marks, most likely.

“Not pretty, I know,” Noah shrugged on the coat.  

“They’re… not bad,” Jaden said. Perhaps the heat of the fire but his face looked flushed.  

“Whatever you say.”

Kitera stormed into the room then, without even knocking first, that one.

“Jaden, must I really wear this?”

The dress was lavender, cinched at the waist, flowing from hips to toes. The sleeves and the top of the corset were entirely made of lace, her breasts dangerously stretching the fabric.

“Can you breathe?” Jaden asked her.

“Yes, but-”

“Then I believe we’re ready.”  



© 2017 Catherine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on March 5, 2017
Last Updated on March 11, 2017
Tags: Fantasy, adventure, romance, humor


Author

Catherine
Catherine

Montreal, Canada



About
I've been writing for a long time and I've only recently discovered this website. Don't hesitate to send me a message or a friend request, I think writers have got to stick together. Read and review a.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Catherine


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Catherine


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by Catherine