Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by LilMissWriter17

Chapter Three; Witness.
So after Mum had given both me and Leo a nag about how we should appreciate each other and look after each other, I told her about what I saw when she was away.
Course Leo started asking questions, and I kept telling him that he was fast asleep, that’s why he didn’t see anything. Mum was shocked, and for a moment I though she didn’t believe me, but then I told her every detail, and she believed, plus I made Leo tell her that he’d heard the ambulance siren, because it had woken him up.
Mum packed away the shopping, and told Leo to go wash his face, leaving me alone with her in the kitchen. ‘Cup of tea?’ I offered, filling up the kettle.
‘Sure.’ 
I waited for the kettle to boil, while Mum pushed all the packets and tins of food into the cupboard then started on the fridge.
Once I’d made the teas, she was done. I passed her the cup, warning her that it was hot and we sat in the kitchen together, drinking our teas.
The silence that surrounded us was a little awkward, but I didn’t exactly have anything to say, after all that had happened.
‘So, how was school?’ Mum asked, setting down her tea on the table. 
‘Umm…’ I hesitated, because there weren’t any words good enough to describe my day at school, if I was honest. But honesty wasn’t always good for Mum; if I told the truth, she’d ask more questions, dig deeper. So I simply answered, ‘Oh it was fine.’ 
She nodded, ‘Good.’ She said, already believing me, ‘Apart from feeling sick of course?’
‘Course.’  I muttered, sipping my tea. ‘Where’s dad?’ Vaguely changing the subject away from school.
‘He’s at work, still.’ Mum said, her voice sounding a little annoyed.
‘Oh.’ I said, sighing.
Mum sipped her tea again, her expression becoming thoughtful. ‘It’s a lot of pressure you know…’ She suddenly said, but she was still inside her own little daydream.
I watched her, as she spoke, ‘We have enough trouble bringing you and Leo up.’ Mum snapped out of her daydream, smiled at me. ‘Now, its your turn!’ She exclaimed, with a laugh.
‘Mmm.’ 
‘Right, I better get on with the dinner.’ Mum began clearing the cups away, and started to wash up, occupying herself quickly.
I quickly walked out of the kitchen, grabbed my coat, and walked out the door, slamming it behind me.
Tears filled my eyes, I had no idea where all this emotion was coming from, but it wasn’t me. It wasn’t me at all. I  walked down the street as fast as I could, knowing that Mum would probably wonder why I’d walked out and try to follow me down the street in her bare feet and kitchen apron. 
I didn’t know where I was going, but somehow, I did. My feet didn’t stop walking, it was like a reflex action, I wasn’t thinking about where I was going….I was just going.
My thoughts swirled around in my head, swishing and swirling from one side to another. My head felt like a washing machine, dreadfully noisy and full of water. I couldn’t bear to think, it hurt to think because there was too much stuff to think about.
I walked across the road, waiting for all the cars in the road to pass, and opened the gate to a small but quiet park. It was absolute silent.
And that’s all that I wanted right now, silence.
I needed time to think, I was too confused with it all. 
I kicked the dirt on the floor, shovelling the bark pieces onto my shoe then kicking them into the air. I walked, slowly, towards the two sets of swings and then sat down on one of them.
I pushed back on the swing, letting myself go into the air, but my feet still touched the ground. I felt more control than I’d ever had in these past few days. 
Was that sad? That I had more control on a swing, than my own life? 
It was a treat for me to feel control in myself for just a few minutes, and it wasn’t even in myself….I was only sat on the swing.
With the silence that surrounded me, I could hear my own heart beat thumping through my chest. The chat with Mum had confused me, because I was only just realising the reality that I was having a baby, I would be a mother in less than nine months.
And however long I thought about it, the reality wouldn’t go into my brain, it just doesn’t seem real.
Maybe it will when I get a bump..
I gasped quietly to myself, seeing a future image with me wearing baggy tops and sweats to school! With a bump as huge as a balloon! I’m gonna get fat, I thought…
I’ve never ever been fat, I haven’t been particularly thin but I’ve never been fat.
Then I scolded myself, because I was wrong again; I wouldn’t fat, because I’d eaten too much chocolate or not done enough exercise , I’d be fat because I was pregnant so I wouldn’t really be fat…
Just pregnant.
The wind blew lightly, making the swing seat next to me sway a little, and then I suddenly realised that it was getting dark. I ran my hand through my hair, trying to calm it down because it was blowing everywhere. I knew that I should be getting home, Mum would probably be wondering where I was….She was probably worried sick right now.
So she should be, I thought nastily, then regretted it after, but the next thing I done was because of her.
I didn’t know if it would still be open, but the number I called on the leaflet for an abortion clinic, rang when I entered it into my phone. Dr Frances had given me a pile of leaflets, and tucked in-between all the innocent ones, was this clinic leaflet.
I was trying to figure it out, but it was all so obvious… 
Dr Frances knew I shouldn’t have this baby, and so did my mother, neither of them thought I was doing the right thing, and as for my dad, he’s probably with them as well but because he’s such a stupidly nice person, he probably just told me what I wanted to hear.
Whatever happens, we’ll be there for you.
Bollocks!
What a load of flaming garbage!
So when the quiet but friendly voice answered my call, I swallowed once and then struggled but managed to say, ‘Hi, my name is Florence Bridge…’ I muttered then swallowed again before carrying on, ‘I’d like to make an appointment please?’
‘Okay, and when would you like it for?’ The girl said, she couldn’t be older than in the twenties.
‘Umm.’ I hesitated, then realising that I was pausing for way too long, ‘What days do you have free this week?’
‘Tomorrow is free, from one thirty till 3 so any time between then or Thursday between 9 and 11am.’
‘Oh.’ I said, ‘I’ve got school tomorrow-’ I blurted without realising.
‘Oh I see…’ The girl said, sounding a little awkward now, ‘Can I ask something?’
‘Um sure…’ I bit my lip, closing my eyes.
‘How old are you Florence?’
‘I’m sixteen..’ 
‘Mmm.’ The girl said, ‘You sure you want to do this?’
And then, because I couldn’t control it, another tear rolled down my cheek. ‘Um, I don’t really know.’ I sniffled, trying to hold back the sobs.
‘Have you been to see the doctor?’
‘Yeah…’ I said, ‘She um…gave me a pile of leaflets….the leaflet for the clinic was in the pile…so I just thought…’
‘I know.’ The girl said softly, ‘It must be hard…’
‘You have no idea.’ I said, trying not to sound bitchy.
The girl on the other end of the phone sighed quietly, ‘Actually Florence….I do.’ 
~~~~~~~~~~~
The conversation with the young girl on the phone was weirdly satisfying, she talked to me like a normal person, and somehow she understood. She didn’t tell me what I wanted to hear, but she didn’t lie to me either, she told me the truth and I was glad to hear that it was much different to what my parents and my doctor had told me.
She had a different opinion, a much different opinion.
After a while, when we had paused from chatting, she told me her name was Sarah, Sarah Martins. I told her the backing story to my pregnancy, and how I thought that Wayne was going to be there every step of the way if he truly loved me.
Sarah didn’t comment, or interrupt me; that was the best bit. She just listened to every word I said, and waited to make sure I was done before starting on her own speech.
It was getting dark by the end of the phone call, and Sarah asked me if I wanted to see her personally, on our own and just chat. She told me that she wasn’t just a receptionist, and that was she was actually a trained psychologist for young people but something went wrong. Sarah didn’t tell me what went wrong specifically, but I think I had a clue of what it might be.
When Sarah had finally put down the phone, I gasped loudly when I saw the time, knowing Mum would be going crazy. I shoved my phone in my pocket, and ran as quickly as I could along the paths, in the dark, to find my way home.
My heart thumped when I finally reached my house, my breathing was uneven and my legs were beginning to feel numb. I hadn’t seen the police car on the drive, but when I did, I stood frozen staring at it.
Had Mum really called the police? Was she that worried?! I hadn’t even been gone two hours!  
Just as I was about to open the front gate and walk to the door, Mum came out. She looked at me silently for a second, then said, ‘Florence, what are you doing? C’mon get in.’ Her voice was soft, and wasn’t as stern as I thought it might be.
I tried to figure out why the hell there was a police car on the drive, if it wasn’t about me…
The front door had been left wide open, and because I was still frozen, staring at the police car in the freezing cold, Mum had to come over to me and pull me in.
‘W-Why….Why is there a police car outside?’ I stuttered, feeling my whole face beginning to burn; it was the impact of being outside in the cold then suddenly coming into warmth. ‘Mum?’ 
Mum laughed once, ‘Florence, you haven’t done anything wrong. The police are here to see you, but not because of anything you’ve done specifically.’ She closed the door, and then turned back to look at me standing in the hall way.
‘Oh.’ 
‘But I do need to talk to you about you storming off…’ She said, looking at me, wondering why I still looked like a lost rabbit.
‘So why are the police here?’ My eyes flickered.
‘Go into the living room, and they’ll tell you, I’ll get you a jumper and a coffee.’ She said softly, then pushed me into the living room.
I shivered as I pushed the living room door open a little wider, letting myself walk through, and automatically smiled when I saw one woman and a man sat down in the sofa with a coffee in their hands.
The man was dressed in a full police uniform, but the woman was only dressed in a smart suit. She was the first to speak, pencil and pad at the ready.
‘Hi Florence.’ The woman smiled, quickly setting down her coffee and standing up as if she knew she’d made herself too comfortable, ‘I’m Rebecca Harding, Police Detective.’ She shook my hand, it was no warmer than mine. ‘This is Sergeant Charlie Reynolds.’ 
The police sergeant began to stand up, and copied Rebecca by shaking my hand. ‘I’m dealing with a case that happened earlier today, at exactly five twenty five…’ Sergeant Charlie began, ‘There was an assault against a young girl, her name is Stephenie Morgans, heard of her?’
I shook my head at once, ‘Well she was physically assaulted by her boyfriend, Lewis Kendal, heard of him?’
I shook my head again, ‘But you saw what happened?’
I blinked twice, my heart thumped. They were interviewing me? Since when was I witness in this crime?
‘Sorry.’ I muttered, ‘I’m completely lost.’ I said, with all honesty.
The police sergeant and detective did not look impressed, but fortunately, Mum saved me. She came pottering in, gave me my coffee and then picked up the two empty cups that were on the side table.
Before she ran away again, I quickly asked her, ‘Mum? What are they on about?’
She looked up at me, and said, ‘You know that thing you told me, what happened at Tesco’s!?’
‘Ohhh!’ I exclaimed, ‘That!’ I turned around and smiled, ‘Now I know what the hell you’re on about…’
Both Charlie and Rebecca grimaced, ‘Florence, we’re not here to play games, police work is very serious. The security guard at Tesco’s wrote down your number plate, and we were told to find you.’
‘Why did he write down the number plate of my Mum’s car?’
‘Obviously, he saw you looking.’ Charlie quickly answered me, ‘No one saw what really happened, Catherine Smith called the security guard when she was passing, but no one saw what happened before that.’
‘So I’m a witness?’
‘You are yes, you’re a witness.’
‘And we need your help, but if you’re going to play games and be like any other teenager would be, we’ll figure it out without your help.’
‘Do I get anything?’
The pair raised their eyebrows in unison, ‘You know for helping you?’
‘An ice cream perhaps?’
‘Ughhhh!’ I moaned at Charlie’s sarcasm.
‘Florence, we really need your help.’
‘Why? Didn’t you catch the guy?’
‘Yeah, we did, but well, the girl is hospital.’
‘What? Why, she was fine-’
‘She got beaten up by one of his ‘mates’…’ Charlie interjected, silencing me.
‘Oh.’
‘Yeah.’
‘But I didn’t see that, I just saw the guy assault her.’ I said, but when neither Rebecca or Charlie commented, I added, ‘What exactly do I have to do?’
‘Well first, you’ll have to come down to the police station and answer a few questions, then we’ll contact you when we need you.’
‘Now?’
‘No, not now. You’ve had a long day, I’m sure your Mum wants to talk with you…’
I nodded, ‘So when?’
‘We’ll call you, are you free tomorrow?’
‘After school, yeah.’
‘Half four-ish?’
I nodded, ‘That’s fine.’
‘Good we’ll call then.’ Rebecca smiled, ‘Take care Florence, and anything you remember, write it down. It’ll really help us.’
‘Kay.’ I said, feeling like I’d just been given another piece of homework.
‘Thank you Florence.’ Charlie shook my hand, then walked to the door, opening it.
Mum was right by the door, obviously eavesdropping, and acted all surprised when Charlie opened the door. ‘Thanks Mrs Bridge. We’ll be in touch.’
Charlie was the first out the door, Rebecca lingered in the living room for a while and I was waiting for her to go into the hall so I could wave them off.
Joking.
‘Florence, here’s my card. If you have any questions or suddenly remember something significant then call me.’ 
‘Is this the number for your mobile?’ I frowned at the card.
‘Yes, so you don’t have to call the police station.’
‘Thanks.’
‘No problem, take care now.’ Rebecca swiftly made her way out of the living room, and out of the house. ‘Bye Mrs Bridge.’ She smiled lightly, then got into the passenger seat.
‘Well, that was interesting.’ Mum said, just as Charlie drove out of the driveway, and down the road. I couldn’t believe that Mum actually waved.
‘Yeah.’ I said, itching my nose. ‘Ugh, I’m so tired. Too much has happened today, I’m going to bed-’
‘Uh, young lady!’ Mum exclaimed, grabbing my arm and pulling me back, ‘You’re not going anywhere, I want to talk to you.’
‘Mum, I’m so not in the mood. If it’s about the storming off thing, I’ll explain tomorrow. I’ve got too much stuff going on.’
‘Sweetie, you need to talk to me!’
‘I can’t Mum, you don’t understand! You’re my Mum, your only ever going to tell me what I want to hear….’
‘Not if you asked me to! If you asked me to be honest-’
‘You still wouldn’t do it Mum, face it.’
Mum huffed, ‘I’m sorry that you feel that way Flo.’  Mum quietly walked away, down the hall and into the kitchen, shutting the door.
‘Well maybe if you listened to me for once…’ I whispered to myself, to the closed door, and to my mother, who once again wasn’t listening.


© 2011 LilMissWriter17


Author's Note

LilMissWriter17
May be some typos! All criticism is appreciated :) Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

so far i abosoluttly love this book, i wrote a book on a pregnant teen, but this is a lot better than mine and i love the length on your chapters I feel so bad for Florence and ido not like her boyfriend at all and im not sure on her mother yet, sometimes shes nice but then other times its like what is wrong with her. But anyways this is amazing so far and you are really talented and you should send me a read request when you post more :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

It's becoming more and more interesting!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

omg i am loving every word plse continue the story its addicting i need to read more of it

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

so far i abosoluttly love this book, i wrote a book on a pregnant teen, but this is a lot better than mine and i love the length on your chapters I feel so bad for Florence and ido not like her boyfriend at all and im not sure on her mother yet, sometimes shes nice but then other times its like what is wrong with her. But anyways this is amazing so far and you are really talented and you should send me a read request when you post more :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

504 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 2, 2011
Last Updated on October 9, 2011
Tags: Teenage pregnancy, love, what matters, family, Unwanted


Author

LilMissWriter17
LilMissWriter17

United Kingdom



About
Hi! I'm Jess, i'm 19 :) I love reading, writing and drawing :) My dream is to be a published writer, I love writing, it is my passion and I'll never give it up! :) My favourite authors include JK Rowl.. more..

Writing