That Little Girl

That Little Girl

A Story by Meradee
"

True Story

"

 

  Once upon a time there lived a little girl. She wasn't plain, nor was she beautiful; in truth, she was ugly. Long curly blond hair that was never brushed, large teeth that needed braces badly, a jaw that wasn't even positioned correctly, large thick glasses, and a scar under her left eye where she had fallen as a two year old. She was so skinny that it looked as though if someone hugged her too hard, she would break in two. Her clothes hung on her slight figure oddly, her feet seemed too big. All the same this little girl was happy with what she had for she was too naive to know she was ugly.

   As she grew older she developed a passion for bright colors and eccentric styles. When she was ten years old she had animal prints on a lot of her clothes, oranges, yellows, pinks, every bright color one could imagine. She still didn't care that others thought she was 'unfashionable', she still didn't realize it. This poor little girl didn't even fully understand when she was ostracized at school. She just went right on smiling and playing with the other children, even if they didn't want her there.

    By eighth grade most of the girls had developed curves and were buying their first bras. That poor little girl was as flat as a board. She got braces to correct her gapped and twisted teeth, they even put metal bars in her mouth to correct her jaw. This made that poor little girl even more of a pariah. While the other girls were getting attention from guys she still had only one friend. She still didn't understand.

   The next year was high school. But who knew it was such a nasty place? That little girl went to school still flat as flat can be and caught some attention, just not the kind she wanted. Rumors flew around this innocent girl, calling her annorexic, with bad clothes, bad hair, and a stupid name. Once those awful rumors reached her ears her eyes were opened to the world around her. She consulted her one and only friend only to find the source of the rumors.

   That year she gave up all her colorful clothes and went to boring colors that didn't stand out. She conformed to what her peers wanted to see and the rumors eventually stopped circulating. That poor little girl dug herself-with the aid of her peers-into a deep black hole of depression. She lost her individuality, lost her self worth, even began to have thoughts of suicide. It will make my life easier, she thought one night, no one will even notice I'm gone.

   The thoughts became more and more prominent and that poor little girl began planning. Even through all of her planning she could never bring herself to act on them. She kept coming up with a reason to stay alive. Maybe this day will be better, she would think, some of her old optimism shining through. For eight months she delt with this horrible depression, it continued until she came to school in her sophmore year in high school. 

   On a whim she had signed up for debate. She'd had an extra elective and it was the only thing that seemed remotely interesting. The first day of class she was stunned to find a teacher who was jovial and full of life, happy, and wonderful. He got this little girl excited to come to his class, even if no one ever talked to her there. 

  One day this kind teacher pulled her aside and asked her how everything was with her. She gave her typical response, 'Life is life.' He smiled at her and said, 'If you ever need anything, even if you just want to talk, my door is always open.' Somehow that teacher had noticed something in that poor little girl that no one else had.

   Three months later that little girl went into her debate teachers room and told him everything that had ever happened to her. He listened, never said a word until she was finished, tears running down her face, her small frame shaking pitifully. When she was done telling her tale he smiled at her and said, 'Life isn't about listening to what others say and caring. It's about listening to what others say, and not caring. Your life is your own, there's no way that anyone can change how you think and feel without your permission.' He smiled at her and soon after she left.

   That night she thought about what he had said and knew that it was up to her. She decided just to try waking up with a smile on her face, looking for the good in the day. It was hard at first, but soon she found herself searching for the things without thinking. A change began to occur. It was so gradual she never noticed, but it made all the difference.

   That summer her life began to improve even more. The curves she had been desperately awaiting came in, she was able to buy a bra and have it actually fit her. Her braces came off, and she began to go back to her crazy clothes. Bright colors once again appeared in her closet and a smile was always on her face. These massive changes occured mostly on a family trip that summer to Europe and she was influenced by everything around her.

   When she went to school that next year, her junior year, she went in with her head high, shoulders back, and a smile on her face. She still had blond curly hair, a scar under her left eye, and she still wasn't beautiful. She was striking, and individual with her own style. She gained some attention from guys, made new friends, good friends, and began her life over again.

   That year she went back to debate and her teacher smiled at her, never saying a word about her transformation. He had known what she was hiding all along. In debate she found a wonderful talent. With this new found confidence she managed to take first in state, region and even go onto nationals. She became a whole new person and found her individuality. She graduated from high school and is now attending college. Never once since that summer after her sophmore year has she had a single suicidal thought.

  How would I know this? That poor little ugly girl was me. Now that I think back on it I realize that by signing up for debate, I saved my life. My teacher saved my life, and now I am able to be happy and most importantly, alive. I hated myself through those years and I used wish I hadn't gone through that. But now that I look back on those events eight years ago I know that I have become a better person because of it.  

 

 

© 2009 Meradee


Author's Note

Meradee
This is my story. It's what really happened to me and I just thought people should read it. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was a truely touching story about self worth, the importance of individuality, the pressures of high school (which I'm still in but surviving thank you), and the impact of one teacher that really and truely cares. I can't help but think that this story should be in "Chicken soup for the teenage soul" or something like that. i also couldn't help think about my own experiances with these kind of situations.almost the same excat thing happened except that It snot debate, its singing for me and this revalation of human spirit was in the sixth grade and eighth grade.Congatualtions on your win in high School episodes by the way.

Posted 15 Years Ago


It's a nice story. It's great to hear that there are still teachers out there who can inspire young people and change their lives. I wasn't sure about the "I saved my life" followed by "my teacher saved my life". Perhaps one of those might suffice.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This happens to way too many people; In fact, it happened to me in 6-7th grade.... I'm just glad that there's always someone who cares and wants to help. I love this- it's great.
~Silver~

Posted 15 Years Ago


Maybe the trip to Europe was what she needed! I like the impression of her after the European trip when she goes back to school, she is this and that, and the next thing, then she is striking, the one difference that will change everything. Nice story!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Excellent story Pepper! Thank you for your submission of this true story to my contest. I so well know and understand your words as one of the ugly duckling students that blossomed with a caring teachers aide and as a teacher who has seen it in my students. It would be nice if there was a way toban peer pressure! Glad you are still with us!

Posted 15 Years Ago


That's some story! And I applaud that teacher for being there for you. I can totally relate. but as you grow older, you see that teenage years were not your whole life. You got a whole life ahead of you. I tell my less-than-adequate-feeling students that all the time. Good write. Enjoyed it a lot.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 3, 2009

Author

Meradee
Meradee

New York, NY



About
Okay guys, after nearly two years of being dormant, I've decided to completely re-vamp my account here. I'm going to try and be as active as possible and post things as much as I can. I will tell .. more..

Writing
Beginning Beginning

A Chapter by Meradee


Trapped Trapped

A Chapter by Meradee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Giallo Style Giallo Style

A Story by Twilight


Snow Queen Snow Queen

A Story by Daiku Maryu