Forgetting To Remember

Forgetting To Remember

A Story by Lily Avenue
"

The forgotten always remember.

"

"Sometimes you have to be apart from people you love, but that doesn't make you love them any less. Sometimes you love them more." �" Nicholas Sparks

 

 

Emily Perkins walks quickly down the  crowded New York City sidewalk, as usual going right along with the rushed crowd. The cold winter breeze nips at her bared skin on her face and hands, although she finds it oddly refreshing. Pulling her pea coat closer around her, she shuffles along her way. Mindlessly, she releases her embrace on herself, and her hands of their own accord fiddle together mindlessly. Out of habit, her right hand’s fingers play with the ring in place on her left ring finger. 

 

Walking still with the crowd, not really paying attention to the direction her feet are heading, her mind takes flight. It wanders to this coming weekend. Instantly a headache comes on out of nowhere, thanks to the thought of all the work she has ahead of her these next few days “off”. She was never really off of work though, just didn't actually have to go to the office physically. Thinking of work immediately reminds her of the exact reason she had decided to walk home this not so eventful Friday afternoon. A break. 

 

Normally she would be home by now, or even possibly stuck in traffic in the back of a cab about two blocks for her home, either way she wouldn’t be where she is now. Today she just couldn’t explain it, but she just could not go home. Even besides the fact the boxes were piled up to the ceiling and there were still last minute moving plans to be sorted out, she was never really one to run from her responsibilities, she just could not bring herself to flag down the taxi. Instead she chose to walk. Originally her destination had still been home, but now she found herself going in the opposite direction, her feet using their own mind in leading her. It didn’t matter to her where she ended up now, just so long as it wasn’t home. 

 

She needed this, she kept thinking to herself, some time off. To relax, sort things out, and come to terms with what had to happen next. She was always acting in the moment, doing what she thought was right on a reflex, never actually being given time to plan anything out ahead of time. Slightly amused with her own thoughts, she stops mid-stride as she realizes where her traitorous feet have led her. With a mix of awe and confusion, she scurries along to the side of a building so as not to be carried away with the still rushing crowd.

 

She finds it’s her old neighborhood. 

 

Completely letting her thoughts of work hang in the air, she gazes around at her familiar surroundings. She knows it all so well, but even then it seems so distant. Like it was a place in a dream, rather than where she had actually grown up. Puzzled as to why she showed up here, she restarts her walk, merging into the fleeting crowd effortlessly. 

 

This time keeping her head up and eyes open, she keeps a close eye on where her feet lead her. Yet again, she seems to lose control of them, as if following some unheard call, and continues her aimless march down the all too familiar sidewalk. The crowd seems to thin around her, since her neighborhood was never one to be crowded, and eventually finds her self completely detached from any crowd at all. Most of the people who had been walking with her had turned left at the stop light, where as she had continued right on her way, crossing the intersection as she always had so many years before. 

 

Letting out a quiet gasp to herself, she finds herself walking down her old street. She recognizes her house in passing, pausing only a moment after battling her controlling feet, and stares in awe at her at one time home. It looks pretty worn down, the color her parents had painted it now fading and chipping. The yard hasn’t changed much, but seems more tended to then it had been with her family living there. Idly she wonders who lives there, if there are any children staying in her old bedroom, and if they are having as an enjoyable child-hood as she did living in that small house. 

 

Unfortunately, allowing her mind to wander resulted in her feet regaining their sort of control, and she found herself walking once more. She can’t ignore the sort of tug her heart feels as she leaves her old home yet another time in her life. Just as last time, she can’t help but look back to it, and fight the urge to run inside once again. She fights it though, as she had the first time, but nonetheless continues her aimless journey. 

 

Once she is off her old street, she finds herself being pulled toward the left, down the perpendicular street. Instantly she is bombarded with memories, instances of her childhood come flooding in as she stares at all the familiar shops and businesses. As if her feet’s mind has left, she regains her control on where to walk. At first she feels a bit helpless, even lost although it is all so familiar, and she simply stands on the corner gazing down the not so busy street. 

 

Once again, her business like mind returns to her. As if a fog is lifted from her mind, she remembers the whole purpose of her walk. She should really just head back in the direction of home, maybe catch a cab and go straight back to her house, which sadly was in the completely opposite direction. Groaning mentally, she tries to think of dragging her feet all the way back to that crowded intersection she had crossed before. In her mind, the walk seems far too long, and her legs are just not up for it. 

 

As if on cue, her stomach rumbles with in her, signaling her it’s time to eat something. Feeling more content with that option, she moves forward down the street she had been gazing at. Making a mental check-list, she resolves she will grab a quick bite to eat, and as fast as she can, catch a cab and head on home. With new resolve, she walks more confidently down the quiet street. Suddenly catching where she’s headed, she finds herself drawn to her favorite diner of when she was young. With a smile on her face she rushes to the door, and swings it open. Feeling rather giddy, she smiles at the familiar sound of the bell ringing as she opens the door.  Like a wave, the intoxicating smell of cheeseburgers and milkshakes hit her nostrils. 

 

Not hesitating a moment, she waltzes right in, falling into a long forgotten procedure. Knowing already to wait to be seated, she patiently stands to the side as the diner seems to be slow tonight. Leafing through some pamphlets on the display case for deserts, her stomach rumbles once more as she catches sight of some devilishly tempting cheesecakes. Her ravenous hunger seems to come out of the air, and suddenly she is hit with the urge to take the top off the display case and eat the cake right then and there. Ignoring her animal like thinking, she turns away from the case swiftly, silently begging a passing waitress to just seat her already. 

 Much to her relief, a male waiter comes up to her, as she is next in line to be seated. There had only been a couple and an older gentleman in front of her before. She hadn’t realized they’d all been seated while she was having her little episode with the desserts. For no apparent reason, she finds her cheeks heating up as she thinks of what she was thinking of a few moments before, she really felt a mess. The male waiter walks up to her, a kind smile gracing his pinkish lips. 

 

Emily smiles in return, and he nods as he walks past her. Confusion hits her, but then quickly she realizes he was only walking past to serve someone else, he’d been holding two plates of some killer looking food. Again her stomach seems to growl at her, demanding to be fed. She hadn’t eaten since lunch at the office, if one could really call it lunch. It more consisted of her sitting at her desk with an old tuna salad sandwich, and heaps of paperwork that “just couldn’t wait”. Not the most satisfying lunch she could have went for. 

 

Finally, as if an answer to prayer, a kind elderly woman in a uniform comes to her rescue. Smiling like a caring old grandmother, she swiftly walks up to Emily, saying out of years and years of practice, 

 

“Hello Sweetheart, is it just you tonight or are you waiting for someone?” She winks suggestively, and Emily can’t help but giggle at her remark.

 

She recognizes this woman and is deeply amazed to see her still working here. Normally she would introduce herself to an old acquaintance such as herself, but tonight Emily really just feels like being an outside observer of her old home. Skipping the formalities, she glances at the woman’s name tag for show, and responds, 

 

“Not tonight, Claire, just little old me. Table for one if you don’t mind.” Claire smiles sweetly, even if Emily is a stranger to her, she always managed to look like a grand-mother to whoever she met. She deeply was concerned for the well being of others, so the look in her eyes that said she cared was always real. 

 

Claire nods then, and just like she has many times before, leads Emily to the exact booth she had been dying for. Emily can’t help the excited smile that fights at the corners of her mouth, and with another nod to Claire, she is left alone in “her” old booth. This was always where Claire would sit her when she was young. She knew Claire wouldn’t be serving her, just seating, but half of her was dying to find out if she remembered Emily. She knew that was a slim chance considering the change in her appearance over the years. After dropping her leftover baby-fat that still managed to stick around throughout most of high-school, she also got quite a make-over in the hair department. Her hair used to be a rich, chestnut brown, and it came to around her mid back. She never liked her hair color though, that is until it was gone. Now it was a much darker, almost black brown, the came only to her shoulders. 

 

She had always wanted shorter darker hair, so once she became an adult, she made that dream a reality. Among many others. Staring out the window she sits and peacefully reminisces to herself. 

 

She had always wanted to be in the news business,  it had been a dream since freshman year when she first started writing columns for the school’s paper.  At first she was convinced she would want to work for an actual newspaper, be a journalist or something. As time went on though, she developed a love for fashion. Still holding onto her love for journalism, she decided to simply wait until opportunity showed himself. If something in the fashion industry came up first, she trusted that was what she was to do. Also vice-versa. 

 

Miraculously, and this is one of the reasons she holds on to her faith still, a job offering both came about. She had entered her application to every news industry in the local city, and left it up to God to find her a place that suited his will. Waiting at home, panicking slightly as the weeks dragged on with no reply from any of the several companies she’s applied for, she basically slept and prayed waiting for any answer at all. 

 

Finally at long last, her prayer was answered, and could it have been more perfect? The one job out of all of the options, her first response came from was the very one she wanted most.  It was a fashion column in a pop-culture magazine. The magazine was exceptionally successful, so the pay was generous, along with benefits, it was a dream come true. She jumped at the opportunity, and with some more prayer and waiting, she managed to land the job in a few short months. Up until yesterday, she was happily employed, and living her life the best she could. 

 

She’ll be the first to admit it’s been hard. The work is hectic, the people are ruthless, and the payback isn’t as much as she’d like it to be. The only thing that keeps her going though, is the fact that she loves what she does. She enjoys it with all her heart, and has fallen in love with her job. Which sadly explains her lack in the romance and social department. Most of her old friends from high-school have moved on, and the few who stick around only are seen on special occasions. Namely holidays and birthdays. She doesn’t really have a close friend list, and for sure no best friend. 

 

She hadn’t realized it, but soon enough her shoulder was being tapped as she was facing out the window day-dreaming. The sky was a bit more dark now, and the sun was setting somewhere behind the buildings. Being pulled from her thoughts by the insistent tapping on her shoulder, she whirls around in her seat to face the unknown person so rudely interrupting her thoughts. Trying her best not to snap she questions mid-whirl, 

 

“What?” It came out a bit harsher than she’d really intended, but thankfully the person on the receiving end  simply chuckled as, she now knows is a he, stops tapping. 

 

She freezes, déjà vu hitting her like a smack in the face. She knows this laugh, it’s so familiar, and oddly enough she finds a smile creeping up onto her lips as she matches the laugh with the face in front of her. It’s different, the face, but she would know it anywhere. The man’s face returns her smile, and with a wink from him, she laughs and rejoices, 

 

“Billiard?” her voice forming it as a question, just to be sure it actually is her childhood best friend. 

 

Thankfully, much to her relief, the man is not thrown by her use of his old nickname. Promptly his face lights up and he returns her welcome with his own, 

 

“Perki!” They both laugh, as he gives her a half-hug, since she is still sitting.

 

She can’t believe the odds of it all, but silently thanks God for his timing. He couldn’t have sent her a better angel than he just had. 

 

Still smiling, the man stands and says to her curtly, 

 

“I’ll be your server tonight ma’am, my name’s Will, but you can call me Billiard if that suits you better.” Ending with a wink, he’s pleased to see her giggle at his attempt at humor.

 

She replies then, an amused glint in her eyes, as she remarks,

 

“I think I’ll go with Will then, Billiard seems like such a mouthful.”  they share a laugh, and she internally jumps up and down on the spot.

 

This was Billiard, which is a nickname they’d conjured up on one of their many afternoons when they were dying of boredom in her room. Her best friend from her child-hood. They’d grown up together, and did everything together. Come to think of it, they were always together in one way or another after they‘d met.

 

Sadly enough, once high school ended, it all sort of faded away. Sure she’s tried calling him on a weekend she was free while she was away at college, but he had been busy. He’d also called quite a few times, but she was always busier with something more important, and calling him back just never became a priority. 

 

Eventually, they both just sort of lost touch, and life moved on. She never really thought she’d really missed him, mostly due to the fact that he just never came up in her mind. There was always something more important at hand, and their life-long friendship just sort of lost meaning. She’d always intended on calling him back one of these days, when her schedule would allow, but it just never would allow. 

 

Now was an even more hectic time in her life, what with the move and her promotion. Honestly, he was not even the last thing on her mind, but more like not even on her mind at all. It’s odd how in hind sight, how jumbled ones priorities seem to be. Shouldn’t calling one’s best friend forever be higher on the list then meeting up with a tutor for extra help in a subject one honestly didn‘t need help in?  It should, but that’s just not what it seems at the time. 

 

He replies then, smiling ear to ear, and pulls out his pen and pad. She’s puzzled and questions him with her eyes, as she’s done many times before, and he answers her unasked question out loud, 

 

“I work here.” He smiles then and continues,  “ Can I get you something to drink… maybe a coffee?” He ends with a quirk of his eye brow, and she can’t help but smirk in reply. 

 

He knows full well she doesn’t want a coffee, she’s always hated  the stuff. Too bitter, and the buzz was never worth the agony of drinking a whole cup. She replies then cheekily, 

 

“What do you think?” and he just chuckled lightly, scribbling down the drink she really wants, saying quickly, 

 

“A chocolate milkshake it is.” She drops her jaw in shock, as he orders for her just what she wants.

 

He winks and swiftly makes his way to the kitchen before she has a chance to respond. Snapping her jaw back up, to avoid looking even more like a fool, she can’t help but smile. She can’t even explain how alighted she is to see him again. Back when they were younger, they were practically joined at the hip, and she couldn’t help, but miss those days. Even now with her dream life in full motion, she couldn’t stop herself from missing the simpler times of her life.

The days when Fridays were a day of celebration, as yet another week of school had finished, and a new weekend was just beginning. When weekends were times of relaxation, and spending time with friends or family. Going out just to go out, sleeping in because it was possible and nothing mattered enough to actually wake up. There was no rush-hour traffic, no bills to pay, it was just life at it’s start. The biggest troubles were not having a date to the next school dance, or not having the money to buy the back-pack everyone else had. Fun had meaning, more meaning than even life. 

 

Watching once more out the window, Emily’s mind is pulled to a simpler time. She remembers her childhood, and now she is reminded of the most important part of it, Will. 

 

Will lived down the street from her, right around the corner from where she was now. In fact, she could probably walk there tonight if she wanted to, and decided she just might. She’d spent most of her life at that house, and if they weren’t found there they would be in her own room. He’s spent the night often, and she at his house as well. Really if one was to be seen, the other was sure to be close by. Starting from around fifth or sixth grade, they just could not be apart for very long. Sure they’d known each other before that, but it was really at Tiffany’s twelfth birthday party when it all sort of fell into place for them. 

 

Oddly enough, it all started when he’s asked her to dance. She’d said yes, or was it she’d who’d asked him? Mentally cursing her aged memory, she dismisses it, and at least remembers that it did start when they danced together. Who asked who isn’t really relevant she supposed. They’d been stealing glances at each other for a prominent length of the party, and finally when they danced, they were both too shy to say anything. 

 

What really kicked things off was when she stepped on his foot. Even now, she replays the scene in her head as if it was only a few short days ago, instead of all these years. The slow song had come on, and both very timidly, they’d formed a sort of awkward dance embrace. He placed his hand firmly to the upper small of her back, and the other hand holding hers to the left up in the air. She had gently rested her hand on his shoulder, and both kept a careful distance from each other. The whole room was buzzing with other young couples, some more confident then others, all mostly standing in place swaying side-to-side.

 

No one was exceptionally experienced, most of them were just hitting puberty and starting to realize they had new feelings for the opposite gender. It was no different for Emily, and she was confused as she held his hand. She wasn’t sure what she should be feeling. She’d never had a boyfriend before, or really had much contact with boys in general. She always had girl friends in elementary school, the boys were sort of just there, or tormenting her due to her chubbiness.  She wasn’t fat necessarily, but not as skinny as some of her friends. 

 

She was actually quiet surprised when he’s asked her to dance, but she wasn’t sure how she felt about it. Then she stepped on his foot, which in turn made him yelp and hop on one foot clutching it. She’d frozen, awaiting the onslaught of insults as most boys her age would have sent her way. Either he would call her fat, or stupid, or maybe a klutz. Instead he shocked her, to no end. 

 

He laughed. Hopping on one leg, the whole room stopping to stare, and with his hands clutching his injured foot, he laughed. She hadn’t known what to do, at first she’d thought he was laughing at her and how much she’d weighed when he’s stepped on him, but then she wasn’t so sure as he stopped. The room went on with their business as the music changed to something more upbeat. 

 

Finishing his little leg hop dance, he’d slowly walked back to her, smiling a killer smile, even for a twelve year old. When he was back in front of her, he yelled over the now louder music, 

 

“That’s was funny! I can’t believe you stepped on my foot! If you didn’t want to dance with me anymore, all you had to do was say so!” he’d said amused, or something like that. 

 

Then he burst into some more laughter, but it was drowned out by the volume of the music, so all she had seen was his laughing face. That in turn had caused her to burst into laughter, along with his humor before. She was so relieved to see he hadn’t reacted harshly for hurting him. That was new for her.

 

The rest of the party was much more enjoyable, as she started to become accustomed to his presence, in replacement of her usual all female company. Thankfully he’d never really been like most of the other boys, so it was easier to learn to get along with him. She’d found out he only lived a few blocks away from the party, right down the street from her home. They’d walked home together, and made plans to see each other at school. 

 

Everyday after that, they’d walked together to the bus stop, and rode together to school. When they weren’t at school together, they were together anyway at one another’s houses. He was always so funny and charming, she’ll admit at one time she thought she loved him. Soon though, after a few dates for trials, she found she just didn’t  see him that way, and neither he for her. They were just content in being friends, and soon enough best friends. 

 

Boys and friends seemed to come and go for her, but he was just always there. After nasty break-ups with short terms boyfriends, he was still there. When she was dumped by her friends for being too fat to be cool, he was there still. He’d never brought up the fact that he was popular and she really wasn’t and even did his best to integrate her into his own friends. It never really worked out, but she always appreciated him for trying.

 

Emily is brought crashing into reality as a milkshake glass is firmly placed in front of her, along with another milkshake, and also an order of French-fries. Her stomach lurches toward the food, as if the organ itself is fighting at her skin to be let out to eat. Dismissing the disturbing image her mind has just created, she quickly glances up to see Will taking a seat across from her. She can’t help but smile as she realizes what he’s doing. It’s so… Will, it’s unbelievable. 

 

He has a coy smile firmly in place as he casually sits across from her in the booth, and claims one of the glass as his own by bringing it closer to himself. Without a word he takes a fry, and just like old times, dips it in the milkshake. Falling into a forgotten habit, Emily does the same and then quickly brings it to her mouth. She can’t help but groan in a mix of pleasure and relief. Not only is it tasty as usual, but the relief to her hunger is unbearable. 

 

In a rush she grabs a few more in one hand full, and one by one dips them and swiftly throws them into her mouth. After about ten of them, she finally stops to take a breath. Looking up she sees an overly amused Will, quietly watching her little ballistic eating escapade. She was having one too many episodes today, she thought to herself. It was an odd day after all. Smirking slightly, he comments, 

 

“You still eat like a horse.” she knows he means no harm, or insult. 

 

Laughing she remembers their old joke. She’s always been a “good eater” , or so her mother would tell her. That would explain how she managed to keep her “baby fat” around for much longer than it should have been. She was always a little on the chunky side, even through high-school. It wasn’t until around senior year had she really slimmed out quite a bit, and was of any interest to the male population what so ever. Even then though, she’s always loved food. Now the only difference was she just knew how to control it better, although it did cost her some of her favorite delicacies, such as French fries dipped in milkshakes. 

 

One day he’d accidentally told her she ate like a “pig”, even as a joke she couldn’t help the hurt it caused her. He’d really meant no offence, but to salvage her hurt feelings he’d switched to horse. Still it was hurting her, and she even so much as began crying. Doing his best, he tried to explain his choice in animal. Saying that horses were pretty animals, strong, fast ,and loyal , too. They had long beautiful manes, and looked the prettiest out of the animals. It seemed to help a bit, and then to make it better, settled that he was a pig. He did eat a lot sure, but he was for sure not a pig, but it helped all the same. After that, when she was eating particularly “piggish”, he would make this comment, and in return she would reply with ,

 

“And, you still eat like a pig.” he laughs as he picks up another fry, dipping it in the shake and throwing it into his open mouth.  With a nod he replies, 

 

“True.” Speaking through his mouth full. 

 

She lets out a small giggle, and doesn’t even feel the need to explain herself. She is now much more comfortable with her weight situation, and knows for a fact she’ll burn these off at the gym later on this week. Then it hits her, she actually giggled. She hasn’t really giggled in a long time, far too long. Sure she’s laughed, but that’s mostly out of hysteria, but not actually giggling. Here she was, giggling like a school girl, eating her most prized yet odd combination of food, with her old best friend. Oh how God has a sense of humor, she thinks to herself.

 

Taking another handful of fries, she does her best to eat slower. He notices and rolls his eyes, but doesn’t comment. Smiling instead, he starts, 

 

“So, how have you been?” She can’t help, but chuckle at his attempt at small talk. Although she didn’t feel any tension between them, it still managed to make them feel a bit awkward. Shaking her head she replies trying to dismiss the awkwardness, 

 

“Wonderful, and yourself?” still with a giddy smile on her face. This is just all so surreal for her. He smiles politely and replies with, 

 

“Fine.” Shrugging, he frowns a moment while glancing at the watch on his wrist. Emily just continues along, eating her fries in her own little bubble of euphoria. He stands, and she glances up as he excuses himself. In a rushed tone he says, 

 

“Hey, my break’s over. If you want you can hang out till closing time, and we can catch up. If not, well that’s fine too, it was great seeing you again.” he offers her a genuine smile before heading off to replace his apron, and get back to work. 

 

Smiling to herself, she continues to eat, but contemplates in her head. Popping another French fry into her mouth, she chews while thinking hard about the decision at hand.  Remembering her earlier plans, her instant choice is to just go home. Mentally slapping herself, she pauses a moment, slightly annoyed with her business set mentality. Swallowing and promptly stuffing another fry in her mouth, she thinks about it more. 

 

She really would love to stay and catch up, she really wouldn’t have another chance once she left for Indianapolis, the site of her new workplace. This really would be the last time to just relax with an old friend, chat mindlessly, and just enjoy some time to do nothing. Sure she had loads to do at home, what with the final moving details still left untied, but she really needed a break. One night couldn’t hurt anyone. Just one evening to herself, talking with an old friend, finally getting back to the real world. There was no harm in that, even if she did have to make it all up tomorrow. 

 

Sending up a quick prayer for guidance, she quietly sits and peacefully finishes her meal. Her hunger finally appeased, she slumps back into her bench seat. Staring out into the night through the over-sized window, she takes some time to just think. She’s finally settled on actually staying till closing time, so she decides she’ll just use her free time to her advantage. 

 

Watching the car headlights pass on the street, she is reminded of how she came to this spot. It’s odd how life can lead you full circle, and how small the world really is. There she was, stressing about her life, regretting her past choices ,and having no where left to go but forward. Now here she is, totally at ease, going back to more simpler times, and with someone she genuinely wanted to spend time with. 

 

Glancing at her watch, she see’s there are only a few hours until closing. Hit with an idea, she quickly pulls on her coat and stands. After placing her money on the table, along with a tip, she takes out her pen. She scribbles down a note on her napkin, for Will, and rushes out the door, leaving it with the tip. All she wrote was simply, 

 

“Be back for closing. - Perki” 

 

Once out in the cool night air, she breathes in deeply, feeling refreshment course through her. Reminding herself of what made her come outside in the first place, she hurriedly walks further down the street. Making it to the corner, she happily strolls into the corner Shoppe that she is relieved to see is still standing. Let along in business. It’s not late enough for closing, so she confidently pulls the door and walks into the welcoming warmth. 

 

Taking a moment by the door, she takes a moment to just look around. Seeing that it hasn’t really changed much, she strides right up to the counter. Behind it is a familiar face, but somehow a stranger’s face too. It wasn’t the face she was expecting, but close enough. Glancing at the name tag, she realizes with glee it’s the owner’s son. Jack was his name, the owner was John Sr. He smiles to her kindly, and in a trained manner, says, 

 

“Can I help you, Miss?” She smiles at him, remembering seeing him working this store with his father many years ago. He still had that gentleman aura about him, and was probably running the store now. 

 

Responding to him politely, she says, 

 

“Yes. Do, you still sell Cassidy’s here?” Cassidy’s being her favorite cigarette brand from high-school. Her and Will would go through a whole pack in one sitting if they were permitted, which more often than not they weren’t. She hadn’t really smoked since college, but wasn’t totally turned off of it. She just chose not too, thankful she hadn’t seemed to have become an addict. 

 

Jack gives a sad smile, shaking his head, 

 

“Sorry, no. Haven’t sold a pack of them since my old man was running this place. Can I get you another brand?”  Emily can’t help but frown slightly, but then fights it, responding casually, 

 

“Sure, that’s fine. I’ll take a pack of Marlboro’s and,” She turns quickly grabbing a deck of cards, and plopping it on the counters, continues,  “these.”

 

He nods, and scans the items she wants, pulling the pack from behind the counter. Placing them both in front of her, he smiles and with a ‘ca-ching’ from the register, promptly remarks, 

 

“That’ll be $6. 50.” Emily internally pouts, not letting it surface thankfully. 

 

Times really have changed. She remembers when there was a time she could buy these two items for half that price. Reaching into her pocket, she pulls out a ten, and swiftly snatches her items up. Turning on her heel she calls as she walks toward the exit, 

 

“Thanks again, Jack. Keep the change.” As she’s half way out the door, she hears him call out his reply, 

 

“Anytime, Emily. Thanks.” she pauses through the door, and quickly shoots him a surprised yet pleased smile over her shoulder, which he returns with his own sweet smile. Laughing, she walks out, back into the cold night air. Glancing at her watch, she decides it’s best to head on back to the diner. 

 

She smiles as she fiddles with her purchases in her hands. Her and Will had always loved smoking while playing cards. Feeling slightly guilty, she quietly prays God will forgive her for smoking again, she just wanted to make this night special with Will. She missed him so, and she was sure God would understand. To make it better, she even promised she wouldn’t smoke another day in her life after this, a promise she knew she could keep. Smiling to herself, she shoves them into her pockets, and shuffles her way back toward the diner. 

 

Once back at the diner, she waits in line as before. Now, even more empty, the diner is showing obvious signs of closing time. Some of the lights have been turned off, giving it a more relaxes and dim lighting. The bus-boy is hard at work, cleaning tabletops, and even Claire is busy mopping the floor. Emily gently clears her throat as Claire come closer, trying not to be rude, but wanting to be seated. 

 

Thankfully Claire hears her throat clear, and snaps her heard up with a smile already in place. Quietly, and sweetly as usual, she casually says, 

 

“Have a seat where you like, dear, we’re close to closing time anyway. Can I get you anything?” Emily smiles at how informal this place is, and how free she is to casually hang around without a care in the world. Taking a moment to think, she replies to Claire in an equally casual tone, 

“No thanks. Maybe just some water if that’s not too much trouble.” Claire, dropping her mop in the bucket, stand upright then. Placing her balled fists on her hips in a motherly fashion, she clucks her tongue before scolding,  

 

“Now you cut that out, of course it’s no trouble, dear. I’ll be right with you.” nodding in affirmation, she swiftly turns on her heal, leaving Emily smiling ear-to-ear. 

 

Shaking her head, and laughing to herself, she heads back to her booth. Removing her coat in her seat, letting it pool around her waist, she idly drums her fingers on her table top. Once again looking out the window, she thinks of school some more. Ever since she’s moved away from home, and gotten her work, she hasn’t had anytime at all to just sit and remember. Sadly enough, she really didn’t see it as important, as she merely saw her childhood as a stage in life. Something to be forgotten, left alone, there was no real point in going back. 

 

Even her parents had moved on, leaving the house she’d been raised in, to move across the country to start fresh on some farm out west. At first Emily had been against it, but soon realized it really wasn’t up to her. Her parents were old now, and wanted to spend their golden years together living their dream, just as she was living now. She couldn’t be against that. 

 

Life had just been getting out of control lately. Her priorities were a blur, she barely ever could tell what had to be done and what should be done. There was no room for what she wanted to be done, even her health was starting to suffer. A recent visit to the doctor informed her that she was now suffering from high-blood pressure, due to lack of rest and too much stress. Although she had intended on taking a few personal days throughout the past month, just to relax as the doctor had suggested, something just always seemed to get in the way. 

 

Her sister had offered to take Emily, along with her family, to the Caribbean for their summer holiday. Emily at first was totally intent on going it, even going so far as agreeing with her sister over the phone. Once the trip time rolled around though, Emily just couldn’t find it in her agenda to go, a week away would be too much to make up for. So of course, as usual, she was forced to cancel, much to her sister’s displeasure. 

 

Groaning, Emily slams her head on the linoleum table-top, just now realizing it’s been cleared. Quickly scanning the table, she checks to see if there is any reply to her little note. Will was always the type to do that sort of thing. Sighing, she sees there is no reply. Claire finally comes with her water, and Emily thanks her before eagerly chugging the whole thing down in one go. Claire watches amused, as Emily firmly places the glass down on the table. With a laugh, Claire offers, 

 

“Can I get you another one?” Feeling slightly water-logged, Emily shakes her head with a smiles and says politely, 

 

“No thanks.” Claire nods and makes her retreat, grabbing the empty glass as she goes. 

 

Emily sees the bus-boy brush past Claire, going to clean off the table behind Emily. Suddenly Emily’s eyes go wide, panic quickly rushing in. Instantly she calls out, 

 

“Claire!” Claire turns suddenly, a bit alarmed at Emily’s sudden outburst and responds with worry clear in her voice and her hand placed over her heart, 

 

“What is it, dear?” catching her breath , Emily does her best to re-collect herself, and after taking a few deep breathes, and counting to ten, she replies in a more relaxed tone, 

 

“Sorry to startle you, Claire. I was just wondering if Will was still around?” it had occurred to her that maybe Will hadn’t gotten her note, due to the bus-boy cleaning up,  and assumed she’d left. 

 

Nodding slowly, a caring smile spreading across her lips once more, she responds understandingly, 

 

“Sure, he’s cleaning up round back.” Emily nods, relief washing over her. With another sweet smile, and a firm nod, Claire walks off to continue her nightly routine. 

 

With a sigh, Emily relaxes her tightened muscles. She was genuinely afraid Will has headed home, thinking she’d chosen to leave. She was dying to spend some time with him. Although her reasons aren’t totally clear to her why she wants to so badly, she just knows she does. She misses her old best friend, and is curious to find out how he’s doing these days. Although a little nervous that it may turn out awkward, she doesn’t see it as enough to leave. 

 

Slouching back into her seat, she habitually looks out the window. Now fully dark, as it is much later than she thought, the street is alive with lights. The shops all have there lights on and the cars zoom by, probably filled with everyday people heading home after their long days at work. Although this street is often driven right through, most average people not really caring or knowing what it holds. Only the select few know it’s story, it’s secrets, it’s history. Emily smiles out into the dark street, feeling privileged to be a part of that select few, or at least at one time she was. 

 

Sighing a sad sigh, she looks at the table in front of her. Her hands are clasped, fingers intertwining. Absent-mindedly she twiddles with the ring on her left ring finger, and lets out a quiet, but shocked gasp. It’s hard for her to believe it’s taken her this long to remember about the ring. 

 

It’s the promise ring Will had given her senior year! He’d promised they’d be friends forever. At the time, it hadn’t fit right, actually it was too loose for her. Then she was happy about that fact, so she’d kept it on a chain. Once she got to college though, she must have grown or something, but the ring ended up finally fitting her. Will had told her to put it on her left ring finger, and to only take it off when she got married. It had been so funny at the time, but over the years she found it sort of sweet. Once it ring, she did just what he said, and hasn’t taken it off since sophomore year in college. 

 

Over time, she sort of forgot the meaning behind the ring, but nevertheless it remained in it’s place on her finger. Now thinking about it, she feels rather silly. She hadn’t really thought to look at his hands, but she was almost positive he would not be wearing it. Suddenly she has the urge to remove it, so as not to look foolish, but sadly her finger has grown a bit since she first put it on. Tugging lightly, she gives up not wanting to cut her finger. With a sigh of resignation, she drops her hand into her lap, out of view if Will were to come sit in front of her. 

 

Glancing at her watch quickly, she smiles as she realizes it’s close to closing time now. Forgetting once more about the ring, she brings both hands onto the table top, and mindlessly drums her fingers on the top. This habit has been with her for as long as she can remember, and she never felt it necessary to ever actually break it. Although it’s caused her many chips fingernails, she was never one for vanity, even being a fashion columnist. 

 

Letting out a quick huff of breath, she aimlessly looks around the diner. To any outside onlooker, she would look bored or maybe awaiting someone, but really she was idly content. She liked having nothing at all to do, to just sit and observe. All too soon the last hour or so passed her by, and in time closing finally came around. 

 

Out of habit she glances at her watch, and then at the wall clock to double check, and sure enough with one final glance around she is sure that closing time has finally come. With a content smile, she waits at her seat. She watches as Claire dons her wind-breaker, and calls out to the staff as whole, 

 

“See ya, tomorrow everyone!” and as she is out the door, there is a muddled response from the rest of the staff, some unseen as they are back in the kitchen. 

 

Then with a final jingle of the bell above the door, she’s gone. Emily watches her through the window, as Claire walks up to the curb with her hand up, and soon enough has caught herself a cab, and drives off into the night. Emily can’t help, but smile some more. Claire leaving is just another sign she is just that much closer to seeing Will again and being able to spend some more down time with her best friend. Like he was queued by her thoughts, Will appears by the break in the counter. He is wiping his hands off with a dish towel, and in one fluid motion he removes his apron. She hadn’t seen him since he’d finished serving her, so she assumed her must have been working in the kitchen the whole time. 

 

With a smile of obvious delight, to see she decided to stay, he walks over casually, and says to her conversationally, 

 

“Hey, you stuck around. Great to see you, Perki.” and with apparent fatigue, worn from the hard day of work, he slumps into the bench across from her. 

 

She smiles then, a genuine smile that crinkles her eyes slightly, showing her full mouth of perfect white teeth. Emily had always been a little obsessive about her teeth, which came in handy considering she loved to smile. Cheekily Emily replies, 

 

“How couldn’t I? Didn’t you know the only reason I was in the neighborhood was to see you?” They both knew it was a lie, but Will was always one to play along. Plus, Emily couldn’t help but feel there was a reason her feet had taken her over today and lead her so out of the way. She didn’t know why, but she knew there had to be a purpose. 

 

Nodding and grinning despite his exhaustion, he replies curtly, 

 

“Well, I’m honored. Sorry I can’t offer you more comfortable… accommodations?” he phrases this as a question, not sure if he was using the last word correctly. She chuckles lightly, and nods, confirming his correct word usage, and replying, 

 

“It’s fine with me. I think the fries and shakes were enough.” She winks then playfully, and he laughs nodding his head in agreement. Then he shoots his head up slightly, being reminded of something, and starts to dig in his pocket saying rushed, 

 

“Oh, I almost forgot,” he then pulls out napkin, the one she’d written the note to him on, and pulls out some bills from inside, then continuing, “thank you for the generous tip, but the meal was on me.” and with a smile her slides the money back to her. 

 

She frowns slightly, pushing his hand back to himself across the table, refusing with a shake of her head saying, 

 

“No, no. Please keep it, take it like a…gift…from an old friend.” With a smile she fully shoves his hand away from her, along with the money. He just chuckles and doesn’t refuse her, adding unsurely, 

 

“If you say so. Thank you.” She smiles, obviously pleased he accepted her gift, and replies quickly, 

 

“You’re very welcome, Billiard.” she ends with a wink and a giggle, and they both share another light hearted laugh. 

They begin chatting casually, it was always easy for them to talk. Will was always good with bringing up topics to discuss, and she was the same. They never ran out of things to talk about, and she was happy to see it was the same today. Slowly, their talking went from formal small talk, to old friends just spending time talking about the world and life. Slowly the atmosphere changed, going from slightly awkward, to intimately friendly, to something completely different. 

 

Will was always able to make her laugh, even now she realizes how much as really did miss his quirky sense of humor, that they seemed to share. Bringing up old memories, and asking about life now, the whole world seemed to fade to grey. They found themselves in their own little orb or themselves. Nothing else seemed to matter, and time seemed to disappear through their fingers. Emily had never been more comfortable to just express her opinions, and argue some, however lightly. They talked about everything. School, old classmates, what they’re circumstances are like now. Soon enough they came to land on the topic of work, and what she was up to. Casually he asks her,

 

“So what have you been doing? You know work-wise.” She smiles proudly, and with a slight air to her voice she says confidently, 

 

“I’m a fashion columnist for In With It magazine.” he smiles proudly to her, and she can’t help but feel relieved he approves. His opinion always mattered to her, and somewhere in the back of her mind she’d always truly wanted to make him proud. Then ,congratulatory, he responds, 

 

“Well, good for you, Perki. I knew you’d make it.” and oddly enough, he raises his palm to her. At first she’s surprised, as an adult she hasn’t once given someone a hi-five, it just wasn’t done. He laughs and continues when she doesn’t return the action, 

 

“Come on, don’t leave me hanging.” She laughs then and feeling childish, hi-fives him back. Unlike normally though, she doesn’t simply slap his hand and let if fall. He catches her hand, and holds it as it falls to the table. She doesn’t mind the physical contact so much, it feels rather nice to her if she was being honest. His hands were rough, and worn. Yet much more warmer and somehow soft at the same time. 

 

He looks her in the eyes, his deep brown eyes sparkling in the luminescent light of the diner, and whispers, 

 

“You never called, Perki.” she can’t help, but freeze in her seat. She was secretly dreading this topic coming up. It was true, and the guilt had been gnawing at her for some time now. 

 

What was she to say though? Were any of her previously conjured up excuses sufficient anymore? No, no they weren’t legitimate. She had simply chosen to forget him, chosen to move on, and leave him in her dust as she sprinted off for her dream. With a sad smile she replies then, completely honest, 

 

“I’m sorry, Will. I didn’t.” He returns her sad smile, playing with the ring on her finger. She realizes too late he was holding her left hand, and can’t help but snatch it away from his hold. He smiles then, knowingly, and continues, 

 

“You still have the ring I gave you?” She nods, blushing slightly. The heat that arises to her cheeks surprises her, she hadn’t blushed since college, when she was a shy little school girl. Thinking this fact only does more damage, causing her blush to deepen in crimson. He smiles, a bit in awe, and runs his hand over her cheek lightly, whispering, 

 

“That’s one more for me.” Smiling she laughs at him, as he pulls his hand away from her face, but gently rest it on the table, palm up. She knows he’s offering to hold her hand again, and fighting her own good judgment, she does. This time placing her right hand in his instead. 

 

The reason he’s said that was when they were younger, mostly while in high-school, he’d made it his own sort of competition to make her blush. Mostly because it was usually pretty difficult to do so. She wasn’t one to show her emotion very openly, but the only time she couldn’t hide what she was feeling was when she blushed. He’d kept track, but always seemed to lose count. He’s promised to stop when he got to ten, but well, he never did. He’s always claimed he had to restart since he lost track. Much to her own dismay, he continued his own little game right up until graduation. 

 

Smiling at the memory, she looks into his eyes. It seems so different, yet so similar to how they were back then. Silently thanking God for sending him into her path tonight, she says to break the comfortable silence, 

“ Do you think I’m silly for still having the ring?” instantly he shakes his head ‘no’. Then, with an impish smile, her takes his open hand up to his neck. Pulling out his collar slightly, he pulls on a chain he’s wearing. Then, dangling on the end, is his ring. She can’t help her jaw as it drops slightly at the sight of it. Laughing lightly, he replies, 

 

“Do you think I’m silly for still having mine?” laughing along with him, she shakes her head. 

 

Actually, she feels a wave of relief wash through her.  It’s nice to know he hadn’t totally forgotten her, even if she had him. Bringing her left hand back in to view on the tabletop, she looks down at her ring one more time. Smiling, and speaking to him while still looking at the ring, she comments, 

 

“It finally fit while I was at college. Guess I lost enough weight finally. Now I can’t seem to get it off though, so I guess I’m not getting married huh?” Looking up at him, she sees him smile amused and he replies with his own witty response, 

 

“Guess not. It could be our wedding band, but sadly mine doesn’t fit me anymore. That’s why I keep it on my chain these days.” With a wink at the end,  she chuckles at him. Once more the heat rises to her cheeks, and he again runs his finger lightly over her cheek. She smiles this time though, and grabs his hand once more once it’s set back on the table. 

 

She can’t help the little flutter in her stomach she feels in her stomach as he says, “our wedding band”, but does her best to ignore it. It’s a nice thought, but apparently they just weren’t meant to be that way together, they’d proved that in high-school over and over again. Internally sighing, she comes to terms that they are just meant to be friends. No matter what her fluttery stomach tells her. 

 

She nods then, replying quietly, 

 

“So I take it you’re not married yet?” he shakes his head then, pursing his lips as he appears to be considering something. Pausing a moment, then he replies in a thoughtful tone, 

 

“No. Not married, just haven’t met the right one I suppose. I’ve still got a few more years left in me though.” and he winks once more. A wink with them, was sort of their secret message to let the other one know they were just playing around, and meant nothing of what they said. Sometimes it was to flirt, but more often then not it was just to keep the other one from being offended. Emily laughs, and nods, 

 

“Same here. Just haven’t met… him yet.” she trails off, sighing dreamily and fluttering her eyelashes dramatically, and for added effect stares off into the distance out the window. He chuckles at her theatrics, and soon enough she drops the whole act and joins in his amusement. Then stopping in his laughter, he stares at there intertwined hands on the table, and seems to think hard about something. 

 

Then in a voice, dripping with deep thought, he inquires, 

 

“Have you been seeing anyone lately?” she instants shakes her head, and he continues with his inquiry, 

 

“What do you do for fun?” She finds this next question a little irrelevant, and assumes he’s just trying to change the topic from their non-existent love lives, she goes along with it. Sadly though, she doesn’t really have an answer for this question, so answering as honestly as she can, she replies quietly, 

 

“I haven’t really… had time for fun lately. I mean, I enjoy reading, but I don’t get to pleasure read very often, not as much as I’d like to anyway.” without commenting he simply nods his head, and seems to consider something, before continuing with his next question. She sense a pattern, and mentally prepares herself to answer whatever he may ask as honestly as she can, 

 

“Have you been out lately?” She shakes her head no, adding quietly, 

 

“Haven’t had the time.” He nods once more, a sad look coming over his face, and continues with his next, 

 

“Made any new friends since college?” Again she has to shake her head at this. She really has lost more friends than made any. Quickly, seeming concerned, he asks, 

 

“Been on a vacation anywhere?” again, this time sighing out loud and slumping back into her seat more, she shakes her head. Replying quietly, 

 

“No.” 

 

A sadness seems to come over his features, and he furrows his eyebrows. She can’t tell if it’s in confusion, disapproval, or just plain scolding. She soon finds out thanks to him speaking his thoughts out loud to her, 

 

“Oh, Perki.” It’s a sad tone he uses, and she feels slightly down herself. It hadn’t been till now, had she realized just how much she’d been missing out on. Looking back up from the table, to meet his eyes, she can see the care in them that had always been there for her. Speaking quietly, she tries to redeem herself, 

 

“Work has been really hectic. I was planning on taking some off time sooner or later, just haven’t, ya know. Gotten the chance to.” He shakes his head at that, still looking displeased and says to her firmly, 

 

“that’s no excuse. Have you even been with family lately?” again she shakes her head and answers honestly, her voice rising slightly, 

 

“I haven’t been with anyone lately. I don’t have friends anymore. My family don’t talk to me anymore. I haven’t been on a date since only God knows when! Speaking of God, I haven’t even been able to make it to church since last Easter. Am I happy with this? No. Is there anything I can do about this? Again, no. It’s just how it is!” she feels the tears stinging at her eyes. It’s taken till now for all of these facts to fit together. 

 

She really was neglecting the things that mattered to her before, now they were all taking second place to her work. She loved her job, and she couldn’t just quit it. He smiles at her sadly, and comments quietly, 

 

“There is always something you can do about it, Perki. You shouldn’t be forgetting the things in life that matter most, to keep up with something that matters most to you. Something’s just can’t be helped true, but some things can. This can be. I don’t want you looking back a few years from now, alone and only have your job to hold you together.” She knows what he’s saying is true, but honestly she just isn’t sure she wants to agree. 

 

It’s hard to believe it’s taken her this long to realize what a mess her life really was. All of her priorities in a jumble, her social life slipping right through her fingers ,and even her family have all seemed to fade into stereo. It amazes her that it’s taken a run-in with an old friend, in a diner in her home town, to fully bring things into perspective. He continues then, when she doesn’t reply, 

 

“I’m just saying this, because I care. You were always one to put your dreams first, and other more important things on the back burner, because you just always thought they’d be there. Well sometimes they aren’t there, and when all you have left is your dream, and no one to share it with, you end up loosing much more than you gained.” again she doesn’t know how to respond. He squeezes her hand encouragingly, silently urging her to look back up at him, as she had been studying the table. She does, and what she sees in his eyes surprise her. He gazes back at her, leaning forward slightly in his seat toward her, and says quietly, 

 

“Sometimes, we forget was is really important. We make up our own definitions for important, and apply them to what we want. Sometimes all we need now, is all we had before, and what we have now isn’t really what we need. It’s just how life is sometimes.” finally she responds to him, her voice hoarse as she is fighting back the floodgates of her tears, and says to him, 

“You’re right. It’s just amazing that it took me coming here, to this diner, and to meet you of all people, for me to realize this. I have forgotten what’s important, and my priorities just aren’t the way they should be. I’ve been ignoring my heart, and only following my head.” He sighs and smiles, replying with a sweet smile on his lips, 

 

“that’s what I thought. You were always following that head of your’s, and somehow managed to leave your heart in the dust.” She can’t help the tear that escapes her eye, as it cascades down her cheek, he follows it with his eyes. It plummets to the table, and he watches it splash, then looking up quickly, he questions, 

 

“When was the last time you cried, Emily?” this question took her by surprise. She didn’t have an answer, and she really didn’t know. Shaking her head, a few more tears escaping than she’s wanted, she replies but unfortunately it comes out as a sob, 

 

“I don’t know!” and she can’t help but release all the tension behind her eyes. The tears flow like streams, her make-up running down her cheeks. He does what any friend would do, and pulls her in for a caring embrace. Pulling her around the table to sit with him on his bench, he wraps his strong arms firmly around her. Doing nothing but holding her, she cries into her shoulder. 

 

Emily can’t help but release all the years of tears she’s kept inside, that she’d fought back to look strong. Now, on the shoulder of her best friend, she releases all her sorrow. Still not liking the feeling of looking weak, even with her best friend, she fights to gain control of her tear ducts once more. After a few more minutes of sobbing into his tee shirt, she pulls away. Sniffing slightly, she tries her best to clean her face. She knows she must look horrid what with her mascara running down her cheeks, but hopefully Will wouldn’t care. He never had before. 

 

Finally, her eyes cleared of water, and cheeks mostly wiped clear, she looks up at the man whose arms she is still enveloped in. He’s looking down at her, with a small smile of sadness etched into his face. He pulls her in for one final, firm hug, and then releases her, scooting away on the seat. She can’t help but want to be held again, but doesn’t do anything about it. 

 

She let’s out a helpless, and breathless, laugh as she catches sight of his once white tee-shirt. Now stained with black he blotches of tears, she finds herself apologizing, 

 

“Oh, Will. Your shirt. I’m so sorry.” he just shakes his head, smiling sweetly, and adds in a loving voice, 

 

“Doesn’t matter. Are you feeling better?” She takes a moment to find out. She takes a deep breath, and feels a noticeable weight lifted from her chest and shoulders. He mind seems clearer, and her heart is back to feeling once more. She even feels it tug slightly when she realizes their close proximity, which yet again she does her best to ignore. 

 

She nods then, an oddly excited smile gracing her lips, and in an out of breath voice she replies, 

 

“Much better. Thank you, Will. So much.” he shrugs and smiles, actually blushing a bit himself slightly, as he replies timidly, 

 

“ I never stopped caring for you, Perki. I just want what’s best for you.” she can’t ignore the warn feeling that seems to blanket her insides, and the smile she gives him is one that can’t be placed. She isn’t sure how she feels about her best friend right now, but she knows it’s not the same. 

 

The heart grows, it changes it’s mind. Sometimes it takes some maturing to realize it was wrong before. Maybe, just maybe, her heart made a mistake back in high-school all those many years ago. Maybe she had her feelings for Will pegged all wrong, and didn’t know till now how very wrong it was. He returns her smile, and nods toward the clock saying, 

 

“We should probably be heading home now. It’s late. Can I walk you home?” She is surprised by his offer, but is also very pleased and replies happily, 

 

“If you want to.” It was quite a long walk home, she could only hope he’d catch a cab back. She really didn’t want to walk all alone, but if he decided it was too far, she could always just catch a taxi. One of the many luxuries of living in her favorite city. Transportation is always just around the corner. 

 

Glancing at her watch to confirm the hour, she is quite surprised to see it’s almost two in the morning. The hours just seemed to slip away when she was with Will. Sadly she felt a sense of goodbye coming up behind her, and wanted to make this night last as long as she could. At least she had the rest of the long walk home. 

 

Getting out of the seat swiftly, she grabs her coat, accidentally sending her earlier purchases sputtering across the tile floor. Quickly, slightly embarrassed as she’d forgotten about her on a whim purchases, she gathers them up and tries to shove them in her pockets. He didn’t miss the whole scene though, and from behind her quickly snatches them from her hold. Shocked she turns on him, and calls out, 

 

“Hey!” he just takes them in his hands, examining them. First holding up the pack of cigarettes, quirking his eyebrow, he comments curiously, 

 

“You don’t’ have time to read, but you have time to smoke? I must say, Perki, I thought differently of you.” She rolls her eyes at him, and his obvious joking. Even is she was a smoker, he was still only playing with her. He never brought her down after picking her up. He just wasn’t like that. She smiles and shakes her head, explaining the pack, 

 

“I’d bought them for us. Sadly they don’t sell Cassidy’s anymore. And the deck was for us too, but I sort of forgot.” Looking at the floor, she raises her hand to the back of her head and scratches it, mostly embarrassed. He just chuckles lightly, and comments as if being reminded, 

 

“That’s right. You know I haven’t so much as touched a  pack of cig’s since high-school? Haven’t really played cards either. Hm, I guess I’ll have to save these for next time, eh?” he winks and she laughs, but then registering his words, feels sadness come over her swiftly. She hadn’t really gotten around to mentioning her promotion, or the move. 

 

Frowning slight, he responds to her frowns with a confused look of his own, she speaks to him in a depressed tone, 

 

“I forgot to, um, mention this, Will. I, uh, got a promotion a few days ago. They’re moving me to Indianapolis. I’m leaving Monday. I don’t think I’ll be back in the neighborhood again.” She glances up at him then, for some reason fighting back more tears. 

 

She knew this was unavoidable, she was moving, she wasn’t planning on coming back anyway. Actually she hadn’t really planned on staying this late here anyway. It’s just the sad truth that she probably wouldn’t be seeing him again. He just smiles at her sadly, and replies quietly, 

 

“Well then I’m glad I got to see you before you left. I’m happy for you, Perki.” she nods, thanking him with her eyes, as she is sure her voice will fail her if she tries to speak.  Smiling at her encouragingly he twitches his head slightly in the direction of the door, and says lightly, 

 

“We should get going then.” she nods and pulls on her coat. He offers her his hand, and they slowly stroll out the door. 

 

Once outside the now much cooler night air bites against her bare skin. Instantly reacting by pulling her coat more snuggly around her, and still manages to keep her hand in his, which also offers some more welcomed warmth to her bare hand. Turning quickly, he locks up masterfully, obviously after years of practice. While they’d been talking he’d told her that after high-school he’d started going to the community college, and took this job as a temporary thing. After his mother died, he needed a way to support him and his old father, who was sick and died soon after anyway. He had to stop schooling though, and has never really gotten around to finishing his degree. He didn’t really seem to mind it though as far as she could tell, but couldn’t help feeling bad about what happened to him. 

 

Once he finishes locking up the diner, the begin their walk. There is a gentle breeze, but mixed with the frigid night air, it becomes more and more painful. They walk faster, and Emily ends up contemplating whether or not they should just catch a ride. She really doesn’t want to though, and for once, she does what she wants in place of what she should. 

 

They make it down the street and around the corner in record timing, and once around the corner the breeze starts to die down quite bit. Both sighing in relief, they upright themselves back to their normal postures, as they had been hunched over unconsciously due to the cold. 

 

Sighing in relief, they walk around the corner at a slower pace. Enjoying the comfortable silence, and the feeling of her hands in his, Emily let’s go the smile she’d been holding back. She couldn’t help but smile now. She felt so light, and free now. The most she’d felt in a long time. She wasn’t sure if it was due to crying, releasing her feelings, or simply being with her best friend once more.

 

She knew for sure there was something different about being with her friend this time, but she was afraid to think too much of it. She didn’t want to assume the wrong things, and make even more mistakes. So she decided, as she walked hand in hand with him, that this was all there was to it. Just two friends, catching up after much too long apart. 

 

Suddenly though, like being punched in the gut, the doubt hits her hard. Slightly breathless, she starts to wonder. Instead of fighting the doubt, she thinks farther into it. Maybe, what if? What if, her heart had been mistaken all those years ago? 

 

Those meaningless dates they’d gone to,  nothing real or effective in really testing whether they loved each other or not. She was so young too, no real need for love. She wasn’t mature enough to really know what it was, or to really recognize it when it appeared. She’d just assumed, since he was her friend, they weren’t supposed to love each other as more. It was an unspoken rule, you simply can’t just fall in love with your best friend. At the time, it was true. She really hadn’t loved him as anything more. 

 

Thinking of this, she sends another prayer for guidance out, genuinely wanting to know what to do and what to think. Without her realizing it at first, she soon notices they’ve come to a stop. There they stand, hands intertwined, in front of her old house. Her old home. She looks up him, and he has been watching her face without her realizing it. The light from the street light behind them seems to make his eyes twinkle, and it makes her breath catch. She see’s him with news eyes, but waits for some sign to know what she is feeling is correct. 

 

She smiles at him, and laughs lightly while saying. 

 

“You know this isn’t my home anymore.” he shakes his head, smiling slightly but dropping it quickly. His face now sobered up and completely serious, he whispers to her, 

 

“this has always been your home. You’ve just forgotten.” She is surprised by his words, and shakes her head reflexively, responding assuredly, 

 

“No, Will, I left this place. My home is on the other side of the city now, and soon it’ll be I Indianapolis.” he gives her a sad smile, and turns toward her grabbing her other hand so she faces him too. Holding both of her hands in each of his, he whispers to her urgently, 

 

“Emily. You know that cliché old saying, home is where the heart is? Well no other cliché saying could be more true. Your heart has always been here, Emily. You’ve only forgotten.” She doesn’t know what to say and just gazes into his eyes, longing to understand. She whispers and shakes her head slightly, 

 

“I don’t think that’s always true.” hastily, gripping her hands more tightly, and shaking his head, he whispers more urgently ,

 

“Emily. Don’t tell my what you think. Stop thinking so much, and tell me what you believe. What is your heart telling you? Don’t always listen to your mind, it’s so easily influenced. Tell me what your heart is telling you right now. What you really believe.” she feels helplessness come over her. She doesn’t know what he means, and she isn’t sure she can do what he asks of her. 

 

Opening her mouth to speak, she quickly snaps it shut not knowing what to say. Her eyes shine with on coming tears. Looking at their hands, she’s confused at to whether or not they look right that way. Seeing her helplessness, he brings up a new question, using one of his fingers to tilt her chin up to meet his eyes, 

 

“Do you believe you can fall in love with someone after they’ve left? Once they’re out of your life, is it possible for your heart to finally catch up and realize it loves them, even if you haven’t seen them for so long?” To this Emily has no real reply, so simply shakes her head and whispers, 

 

“I don’t know, Will.” he sighs in defeat, and loosens his hold on her hands, but doesn’t let completely go. Smiling sadly, he whispers to her, 

 

“I think you’ve just forgotten.”  She looks up to meet his eyes, tears stinging at the rims of her lids. 

 

Suddenly, as if a voice deep inside of her whispers, she can’t help but feel, he’s right. The only problem is she isn’t willing to accept that. Seeing her confusion and uncertainty, he doesn’t try to urge her any longer. Instead, he slowly leans in closer to her. Ever so lightly he places a light kiss on her lips. Then, just like a whisper, it’s gone and she is left surprised as she watches him draw away. 

 

He slowly slips his hands out of hers and gently speaks to her, love in his words mixed with apparent sadness, 

 

“Something to remember me by. Don’t forget.” and just like that, he turns on his heels, and begins to walk away. She watches his retreating figure helplessly. Puzzled as she feels her hand holding onto something, she glances down to her open hands. In the palm of her right one, is his promise ring on the chain he’s been wearing. Her mouth dropping open, she isn’t sure what to do with it. 

 

As he walks away, she feels her legs urge her to follow him. She fights her legs though, and thinks this through. She goes over his words in her head. She had forgotten. Too much. 

 

She really did feel at home here, but was this where her heart was? Right about now it felt like her heart was walking away from her, down the street, far too quickly for her liking. Maybe it was possible to love someone once they’re out of your life. Could she have loved him, but at the time was too immature to know what it was? Then after years of being away, and forgetting about the love that was there, it managed to grow and become more defined? Could that be possible? 

 

She did love him, and at the time when they were younger, it was a love of friendship. Now, she’s an adult. Their friendship has died with the time, but the love they had still remains. She had only been following her mind, now she needed to listen to her heart. Her heart was calling to her, as it was about to round the corner, and suddenly she gave in to her fighting legs. 

 

Running as fast as her legs could carry her, she watched desperately as he turned the corner in the opposite direction of the diner, down to his home. She followed him around the corner, and already running out of breath, she calls to him, 

 

“Will!” he pauses mid-stride. Turning slowly, he looks back to her with a face mixed with awe and wonder, and some joy. Taking few short steps toward her, he questions, 

 

“Emily?” she’s breathless, but fights against her heavy breathing to speak, 

 

“You were right. I have forgotten. I’ve forgotten that I love you. I always have, and it took you to remind me. I love you, Will.” he walks to her swiftly then, pulling her into a firm embrace, and whispers into her ear lovingly, 

 

“I love you, too, Emily. I always have.” and ever so gently, she slips his chain, with the promise ring on it, back around his neck. Whispering back, tears in her eyes, 

 

“You forgot this.” and he chuckles as he pulls back, looking at her adoringly. Emily knows then, at the moment, that this was the sign she’d been sent. This was her guidance, and although she wasn’t sure what she’d do next, she knew what she had now. 

 

She’d found her forgotten love once more, thanks to some rebellious legs, that led her along. Back home, to a small diner in a forgotten part of New York, where once again she found her heart, and learned to listen to it once more. Her heart was the one thing she’d forgotten to bring with her when she’d went to chase her dream, and now back in perspective, she new what it was finally trying to say. 

 

She finally remembered to love. 

© 2013 Lily Avenue


Author's Note

Lily Avenue
how's the concept? doest he plot flow well? it's not edited yet so ignore the grammar/spelling mistakes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on April 14, 2013
Last Updated on April 14, 2013

Author

Lily Avenue
Lily Avenue

About
You know, I'm just another teenage writer with a passion in everything she does. Oh, and I really care about the first word at the start of this little speech. more..

Writing