The Theory of Adam and Eve

The Theory of Adam and Eve

A Story by Avoiry
"

Just a short story

"

She sits at home waiting cooking his dinner just like the day before. "Honey I’m home” The dreaded phrase will come soon but like usual she is ready. The children are at her mothers, as this is a secret they don't need to know. A play time for adults, as mommy and daddy need play dates as well she explained to the twins before dropping them off after school. Then it came, step one, step two, step three...”Honey im home" his baritone voice rang out as he pushed open the door. She swallows hard, the knife she was using to cut the onion grazing her finger tip drawing a hiss from her lips. She brings her finger to her lips sucking on it out of habit her eyes tipping down as she avoided his gaze. He doesn't speak, no that was for when they were lovers, now he just stared as he did the day before and the day before that. She rose up as if a trained pet making her execution march towards the bed room. Then again she seldom made it there before hitting the floor. The brief case thudded down onto the floor and now came the heavy footsteps, he was on the prowl, his day must have been bad yet again. The first blow was kind as it avoided the face merely striking her down across the shoulder sending her to kiss the cold granite. After all he was a kind man...or so her mother had told her. Next came the shoe thrusting into her spine sending her to her stomach but she was prepared as this was routine her hands bracing on the floor." Never the face", his father had often explained in their quiet suburban home, "Your lady needs a pretty face or society will never respect you” Was always the end of the speech. The last blow was that of pity as it was a heel to the back of the neck. This was her favorite as all the pain was followed with darkness, a temporary relief. He would step over her and loosen his tie sighing out with some of his stress newly relieved, after all the wife’s position was to serve her husband.

Shoe's clicking he would head to the door after all his mother in law would love to see him when he picked up the twins. The light blue minivan sat so neatly in the pale gray driveway; he fumbled to find his keys and soon headed on his way. The twins were outside playing with grandma as they often did buzzing around the softly sown grass imitating the Jetliners that often passed. The two froze as their father arrive darting to him as he exited the car , mother in law smiling as she welcomed him in as she often did. They spoke at the table his foot tapping in series of three faster and faster as his impatience grew but he smiled on at the old bird’s tales until he could make his escape. Twins rounded up he headed to the car tucking in his precious packaging, after all sons were what made a father proud, no silly girl could carry on a name.

They arrive home, the twins shuffling to the door in unison as their father followed opening the door only to pause. Heel prints one, two, three bloody heel prints. She laid face down but this was not yesterday. As yesterday she had stood at the door in utter perfection cookie tray in hand. Now she laid still the scab of blood at the base of her neck. He shakes his head as step three must have pressed to hard. "Women are unstable ", his father had often said. The twins circled and began to wail shaking her but she would not rouse it was her last good night minus the kiss as the granite had been her last. That oh so cold kiss of death was real. He mustered up a fake look of sadness as he reached for his boys looking to the woman who had bore them , raised them with please and thank you , and read them their stories at night . "Your mother was a very sick woman..." He explained reaching down to brush the brunette hair he had not caressed in kindness in over five years. The twins fell sobbing only to remember the words of their father as one day they would explain it to the families of their own. He rolled her over and closed her eyes, the bright blue ones that had led her to this fate, the ones he had seen that day on the street on his way home from work, the eyes that had led him to speak with her. She lay so still and he watched her without a feeling in his heart after all Adam was perfect and Eve was his biggest flaw.

 

© 2009 Avoiry


Author's Note

Avoiry
My grammar is horrible. I know this.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A sad story for all Eves.
Nice work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Definitely a must read. Captivating and intense. Don't give a s**t about the grammar this time. Not when you write plot this good

Posted 14 Years Ago


after all Adam was perfect and Eve was his biggest flaw.
Oh my god, i can't even begin to tell you how much i love this. Your writing most certainly intriuges me and makes me feel more at home here on this site. You see things more my way with that statement. Seroulsy, nice work

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very interesting and quite well done. I think I must read this again someday.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 5, 2009
Last Updated on October 5, 2009

Author

Avoiry
Avoiry

taipei, TX



About
The Facts My name is Avoiry. I like to do a lot of things but we don't need to get into that. I'm a closet cynic , a pro pretender, a verbal arms dealer, and a false eye lash applicator in training. .. more..

Writing
baloooooonnn baloooooonnn

A Poem by Avoiry


The red room The red room

A Poem by Avoiry



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Shula Shula

A Story by E. A. Fielder