Unexpected

Unexpected

A Story by Color of the Iris
"

This is an essay I had to write for my practice EOC (End of Course) Test this year...

"
The feeling of paranoia crept up his spine as he raced through the labyrinth of alley ways. The small, blonde hairs on his arms and neck stood upright, immobilized by fear. He had been running all night, it felt, and he didn’t know how much longer he had until his legs would give out. His heart began pumping with the intensity of a race horse in mid-flight and his lungs furiously pulled the frigid air within their hollow caverns. Sweat began to claim his entire body, while the feeling of potentially being harmed continually raced across his mind. He felt like a rabbit, a small and feeble creature that could not protect itself from its stalking predator. The more he ran, the more he felt like his pursuer walked only a step behind him. His body had ticked into survival mode and stepped in the zone to make it out of this situation alive no matter the cost. If he had to make a deal with the devil, who would try and stop him? He could hear his Nike sneakers pounding across the gravel, but he could also hear the heavy thudding of boots, big boots running behind him. The thought of a man in a black drench cloak, hunting boots, and a hand gun locked and loaded slid eerily through his mind. Fear diluted with the extract of paranoia subconsciously told his heart to speed up, which forced his arms and legs to pump faster, harder. He looked up to find the moon high in the sky, staring him and his stalker down. The boy feared that the moon and the vacant, ebony sky would be the only witnesses of his murder. How long had this man been following him? He retraced the events of that afternoon in his mind. Around two o’ clock that afternoon, he hung out at his buddy, Sam’s house to watch a movie with him and his girlfriend. About a couple of hours after that, he had stopped by the sub-shop to grab a bite to eat and found himself walking to the nearest movie theater to watch yet another movie. He didn’t really think about it, but had this guy been watching him all day… perhaps, all week? If his heart wasn’t beating so fast he might have turned pale. He rounded an alley corner and ran out onto a busy street. Dodging a few cars and a crowd of bustling people, he tripped over a ledge and landed on the hard, unmerciful cement. The man that he called his pursuer caught up to him, and looked nothing like what he imagined. The man looked old and dressed in a plaid shirt and overalls. He looked as tired and worn out as the boy felt. He handed him a small rectangle and said, “Hey! You forgot your wallet in the theater!”

© 2012 Color of the Iris


Author's Note

Color of the Iris
I made my English teacher laugh when she read this... the topic for this one was "An Unexpected Ending" and I guess I hit the nail on the head with this one, because she used this essay as an example for the entire high school, lol.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lol, a most entertaining ending! You have a lot of talent.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
1 Review
Added on June 2, 2012
Last Updated on June 2, 2012

Author

Color of the Iris
Color of the Iris

A Nemesis Star



About
My world needs no explaining. If you should need to make an assumption about me, look to my writing. All of your answers will lie there. If you have any specific questions, message me. Have a wond.. more..

Writing