The Star Blanket

The Star Blanket

A Story by Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart
"

A new father reflects on the birth of his son

"
It was a difficult birth. Cassie had been in labour for twice the expected time. The doctors had been worried that the baby had breeched, but fortunately Cassie had managed to pull through, and the boy was healthy. He didn't have a name yet. Through the whirlwind of doctors and family members with balloons, flowers and cameras, they hadn't really had much time to do anything other than smile, give hugs and say "Thank you". Now Cassie was sleeping, the baby was sleeping, and John was standing by the window, looking out at the roofs under a darkened sky. A single street lamp graced the side of his face, but he didn't notice. His eyes were on the stars.
After a long time of staring at nothing, John glanced over his shoulder to check on his sleeping wife. Her blonde hair curled across her graceful hand, resting on the pillow. A slight smile crossed his lips. His gazed dropped to the crib beside her bed, where the tiniest human he'd ever seen was slumbering. The boy was the largest slice of happiness John had ever known, and merely looking at the baby caused his face to split into a huge grin, exposing all his teeth to the world.
He eventually managed to pull his eyes away from his son, but this time they did not return to the window. Instead, his focus fell upon the soft blanket in his hands. His blanket. Its colour was a deep, velvety blue, perfectly matched to the night sky. Stars littered its surface, stitched in silver. Looking at it reminded him of his own childhood, and caused his brain to fast-forward through his whole life until the force of the day finally hit him. A father! He was a father.
Sinking into a chair, John thought carefully about the qualities he hoped he possessed, in order to give the boy the best possible childhood. John's heart swelled, golden hope and joy flowing through his arteries, permeating his whole body, caressing his very soul. He felt as though he could be lifted off the floor, ready to ascend into perfect bliss. All his future became was love. Let the sleepless nights and teenage arguments come, he was ready for them all.
John crossed over to his son and replaced the hospital blanket with his own. Cloaking the boy in stars, John thanked the baby for blessing him with a sense of purpose, something which he had lost. Adulthood had robbed him of the simple joy only a child could feel, and it wasn't until his son was born that John had even noticed it missing. With the gentlest of kisses, he promised the child a lifetime of love, which was the very least he could do.

© 2012 Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart


Author's Note

Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart
In my creative writing group at university, we were given some tarot cards and had to choose one to be the inspiration for a poem or a page-long story. I chose "The Star Blanket" and it led to this. I hope you enjoy it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

the emotion a new father feels, I really enjoyed it great emotion and I look forward to reading more of your work. I really found this interesting from start to finish

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nice.. Keep it up.. Do u read mine 2 "ANGUISH" If possible then gives ur review..tc

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is a very pleasant write. You have conveyed in a very heart felt manner, the emotions of a new father ! I really, really like this. It can serve as a good reminder to those of us that need it, what those first moments of fatherhood are or should be like and remembered. I want to add this to my Library. Thank you for writing this, and sharing it, my "goth" friend...(inside joke, folks). :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I'm glad that you enjoyed it and it gave you some fond memories.
KurKota

11 Years Ago

You are welcome, my friend....and again, thank you !
Loved this.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, I'm glad!
First paragraph you mixed up, i believe you meant 'standing' by the window instead of stood.

I really loved reading this, especially the last two paragraphs i fell in love with this. you have knack for writing, the imagery was great and i really enjoyed the feeling behind it. Great work!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart

11 Years Ago

Ah yes, thank you for the pointer! I've corrected it.
Thank you so much for the really kind co.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

670 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 13, 2012
Last Updated on May 26, 2012
Tags: Birth, Parenthood, Father, Son, Innocence, Life, Reflection, Stars, Child, Adulthood

Author

Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart
Amber "Victoriomantic" Hart

United Kingdom



About
Hi everyone. My name is Amber JS Hart, and I am 20 years old. I live in England, and am studying for a psychology degree at the University of Surrey. I am also a Youth Worker for young people with mi.. more..

Writing