I'm the Illusion

I'm the Illusion

A Story by Scarlet Larn
"

Its a short sci-fi story that I wrote, and depending on how people like it, I may or may not continue it C:

"

I’m the Illusion

In 2026 a machine was created to replicate human life in a computer simulation. Its purpose was that it would enable scientists to conduct social experiments and monitor the development and activity of human life with out using human test subjects. They created artificial life and intelligence.
Humans have been able to gain much knowledge from this imitation world.  Things such as new inventions, cures, ideas ect. have been discovered during the research of this program, having great benefits for society.
They were able to create lives and people in this system. They created real people, with real lives, personalities, emotions, thoughts, beliefs and feelings. But. Humans refuse to acknowledge the existence of these people as ‘real’ or even classify them as humans. Giving these beings the name ‘Shams’.

 

“They are nothing but invented beings, with pretend lives. They were created for our benefit and nothing else. They are just pixels and digits. They are nothing.”

 

Who are humans to define what is real? How do humans know what it feels to be a ‘Sham’?

Humans control and manipulate the lives of the people in the small computer world. The humans control time, weather, natural and ‘man-made’ disasters, form new diseases… Control the sunlight and the stars… Control life and death.
Everyone in the false city… They’re all unaware… Unaware of the humans who play god with our ‘forged’ lives. They know no knowledge of life outside this untruthful world. Oblivious the immoral acts that have been taken upon them…
The humans created this simulation to avoid experimentation on humans… Only to experiment on beings they refuse to recognize as apart of their own species…

I’m one of the few who know. I know this world’s secret. I was ignorant and blind of it once… I lived in a world of bliss, thinking everything was as it should be… Until my eyes were opened so I could see my life for what it really was. An illusion.
In a way… I wish no one had told me. I wish I could stay in that state of happiness and naivety. But you can’t take back what you’ve learnt… What you’ve seen.

As I sit here, on my windowsill, peering out onto my world, I see something… Something real. It looks real, sounds real… I hear music... Bird chirping and people talking. I hear people’s footsteps as they walk along the concrete footpaths. I see children running and playing, hear them laughing… I hear girls giggling and flirting… I see them waving and smiling at the man they desire… And I see men. Men standing tall and proud.

I feel something real. The clothes on my skin… The windowsill beneath me… The sunlight as it kisses my cheek. I could reach out and touch this world… Hold it in the palm of my hand and think it was real. But its not.

 

I’ve been finding it hard to come to an understanding with everything…
He said to me, “You’ll get use to it… You’ll get use to the truth.”
His name is Adam. I met him not long ago… Things started out differently… We met in a coffee shop… We got to know each other… As you do… But then he laid the hard truth on me… Introduced me to his friends… Invited me to join them… I said yes… I….
He shattered my little world… Changing everything I knew. I hate him for that. He could have had the decency to warn me… then again… I would have made him tell me anyway…  would have said I could handle it.
 I love him. At least… It feels like I do… But he doesn’t notice me… When I shoot a smile at him… I make it obvious how I feel but…
He says, “Don’t get attached to anything here. Your false dreams and wishes will get crushed.”
But how can you not get attached? I love to many things in my life… I’ve put to much effort and care into everything not to cling to it. Never wanting to let go…
That’s why it’s hard to come to terms with the truth.

I heard the door unlock and then creak open. I turned around to see Adam standing there… He looked like a tall shadow, shrouded in his black clothes… Just looming there. He had a fixed, stern look. He always looked that way. Why so serious?
I looked back out the window and brought my knees up to my chin so I rest on them, my long brown hair fluttered and whirled in the wind, gently brushing past my face. I felt numb…
“Stop trying to live something that isn’t there,” he said from behind me. He sounded annoyed…
“Do you never say hi…?” I smiled cheekily, not that he could see it.
“The mechanism gets to you to easily. You’re weak minded.”
“No,” I said abruptly, “I’m just wishful. I hope that what you’ve told me is a lie.”
“How do you even know?” I asked, “How are you certain?”
“I know,” he said bluntly.
I could feel the back of my head burning. He was giving me one of his dead stares… I always think its cute when he’s angry.
“Just give me a minute. I’ll be out soon,” I said over my shoulder. I heard the click of the door as Adam closed it behind him.

He wants to rebel… To tell the whole city the truth… Take away the human’s abused power.
But what’s the point? The humans control us. They can choose our next move… Or end our life with the click of a button. And if we ever manage to get some how… We wont be able to fight them.
Outside this world… this simulation… we are nothing but 1’s and 0’s. We can only exist here… in this place.
It’s our safe place… Our sanctuary. That’s why the cities name is so fitting… “Haven City”.


© 2011 Scarlet Larn


Author's Note

Scarlet Larn
Tell me exactly what you think, and whether or not I should continue it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very compelling story...intriguing premise...it reminded me much of the matrix except in reverse-kinda odd but cool...If you want to continue you writing the story you should do it for your sake but I think you have a good story going...Curious to know more about the characters, how they look, how they found out that they were nothin more than simulations, and if they are the protagonist do they have any means of "freeing" themselves...

Solid story...looked forward to more

check me out and shoot a review
http://www.amazon.com/Dick-NcUms-Takes-Demon-ebook/dp/B0058JKV0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Seriously a interesting story that begs to be read. I definitely think you should continue.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Very compelling story...intriguing premise...it reminded me much of the matrix except in reverse-kinda odd but cool...If you want to continue you writing the story you should do it for your sake but I think you have a good story going...Curious to know more about the characters, how they look, how they found out that they were nothin more than simulations, and if they are the protagonist do they have any means of "freeing" themselves...

Solid story...looked forward to more

check me out and shoot a review
http://www.amazon.com/Dick-NcUms-Takes-Demon-ebook/dp/B0058JKV0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 1, 2011
Last Updated on July 1, 2011

Author

Scarlet Larn
Scarlet Larn

brisbane, Redland Bay, Australia



About
I'm 15 years old and obviously I love to write. I have great ideas for novels, I have written some short stories. I also am interested in film and media and would like to start writing screen plays.. more..

Writing