Infatuation

Infatuation

A Story by Amaris Velez

            I looked at the time on my phone it was 7:30 pm we had a whole hour until the fireworks were suppose to start for the 4th of July. I sat in my chair, as far away from my mother and her fiance as possible. I haven’t been outside for a while and this little nature break from the city was exactly what I needed. I broke up with my boyfriend a few days earlier so now I was on the verge of a mending heart. But now I laid eyes on someone who struck a curiosity in me. So sudden that the wind was knocked out of my chest and my breath came in short gasps.

            He had curly hair and light brown eyes. His skin was light and his figure was tall and thin. He rode a bike with ease without need to impress but just to enjoy it. He sat alone in a spot by my mother and got off of his bike and laid back enjoying his scenery. I knew he lived exactly across the street from where we were because he would ride there constantly and his clothes were far less impressive for someone who hasn't been in the area. He wore a gray t-shirt and dark shorts, with running shoes.

            You would have thought that we were long lost loves by the way we looked at each other in utter awe of each other’s presence. When I saw him my mind contemplated on all the things I could say and all the ways he could possibly reply. But it vanished when he noticed my presence near him. We stared at each other without breaking contact to scared that if we were to stop staring one of us were to vanish. I was pretty sure my company had noticed this since they all exchanged glances between him and I. I took in his simple details about how he wore an expensive watch and had an expensive phone but down played it by trying to dress as casual as possible. I noticed how when his family began to come he looked frustrated because it seemed like he was waiting for the perfect moment to ask me if I would join him on his blanket to watch the fireworks and sip lemonade together. Even I had let loose a groan in frustration when he watched me carefully but yet refused to address me.

            As the fireworks started I remembered him and I wondered how the fireworks would look from his side. I wondered if after the fireworks he would ask if I would like to stay for just a little to go for a walk around the carnival that was happening across the lake we were near. And I wondered if maybe I should walk up to him because of course a guy would feel intimidated about walking up to a girl. But then I decided against it because if whether or not he does it would determine what type of guy he is.

            And as quickly as the fireworks started they ended. And without a second glance at each other I packed up my chair and went into the car and waited as the crowd clear from the street. And I drove home trying to forget about the time I fell in infatuation with a stranger and then I ended up writing a story about it.

© 2013 Amaris Velez


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
Added on August 17, 2013
Last Updated on August 17, 2013