My Views On Gay Marriage. [Rant #1]

My Views On Gay Marriage. [Rant #1]

A Story by Mercury Mirrors
"

Enjoy. Post your opinion.

"

 

Writerscafe has a LOT of smart, individual people with their OWN identity. That’s what I love about this site. And THAT is why I’m starting to post my rants on different subjects. From gay marriage to parents spanking their children it’s all coming out.
 
This is the first one, which actually happens to be on gay marriage.
 
This is probably one of the most discussed issues that I’ve ever had an opinion on. But why is it such a big deal? The answer to this problem is so simple & right in front of us, yet the people in power will have it their way no matter that this is a ‘democracy’. That word has lost all power in this steadily declining nation. I know many people will not even read this, & many who do will scoff, & send hate letters. But I don’t care. The laws in America banning gay marriage have stood long enough. I want people like my cousin & her wife to have as much of a right to happiness with each other as the rest of us. I’ve seen two dogs get married on TV. I’ve seen two rich heterosexual people get married even though they hate each other. What’s the problem with letting two people that actually love each other be together formally? It’s called separation of Church & State. What other reason other than religion (Ant that the government officials see this practice as ‘immoral’, in which case it is not their place to say.) could this be outlawed? If there is another reason that stands valid then please enlighten me. It seems that the government is just using the stand-offish, afraid-to-speak-up attitude of this nation’s people to meet their own biased means.
            There is no reason to outlaw it, it’s not hurting anyone. So why is it not allowed? It’s just like dyed hair in some private schools. They’re repressing our right to express ourselves & live the way we see fit. That, my good friends, is called TYRANY. I’m starting a petition to send to the White House to abolish this pointless law. As soon as I have enough signatures (Well over a million when I’m finished, however long it takes.) It’s going to be sent in along with a letter explaining why I sent it, & gently & politely stating my reasons & facts. If you disagree with what has been said here, please leave a comment. I honestly have no idea why this is such an issue, & frankly, it hurts my heart.
            So, in conclusion to this little rant, let me just suggest that you put yourself in someone else’s shoes for a moment. Reverse the world. We (heterosexuals) are now the minority, the abnormal. The majority, homosexuals, have banned us from the right to celebrate out unions through matrimony. Now do you see? Is it really fair? Think about it, then speak.
 
Sincerely,
Lizz

© 2008 Mercury Mirrors


Author's Note

Mercury Mirrors
Yes It may be a little strong worded, but I'll edit it later. I'm busy in class.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I don't think you overstepped any lines in this. Everyone has a right to their opinions and as much as it may tick some people off it's not their right to patronize you for believing in what you do. I've never had to deal with the issue because I live in Canada where gay marriage is legal but I know so many homosexuals in the United States and I feel for them because they're being treated subhuman, just like the blacks back in the 1960's, just like the Jews in World War II etc etc etc. There's so much rasicm and prejudice in the world because people just don't care to understand but I think that your petition is a good way to raise awareness that gays are people too.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I did enjoy this rant. I'm a Catholic, and believe it or not I fully agree with you. You know there is nothing in the bible that states gays can't marry? God made them gay so what's the big hoopla with the church's freaking out! We're all brothers and sisters, neighbors! And in the commandments we're supposed to love our neighbors so I view my whole religion sinning up a storm when they condone same sex marriage. I did love this rant

flame

Posted 15 Years Ago


Thanks for submitting this to the Rant competition. Very thought provoking. I agree with you whole-heartedly and this you have worded this very well indeed. Thanks for sharing your views.

Blue

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wonderful start to a great discussion. I believe the same as you do (or else I wouldn't have started this contest); I believe outlawing gay marriage is unconstitutional, and I also believe it's not Christian either, despite what the Bible has said on homosexuality. It's denying the right to the pursuit of happiness to a huge portion of Americans and it denies the chance for people to express their love the way Jesus would have wanted them--fully, completely and making this other person their reason for living and dying (as we were to Jesus). We are NOT a theocrisy, so using religion as a means to ban gay marriage is not acceptable (or it shouldn't because it happens anyway).

Now as for the argument itself, you have some great points, but I would like you to have some backup; bring in some opinions from people who support gay marraige, bring in ideas against gay marriage and refuting them, bring in stories and other testomonies, brainstorm on what would happen if gay marriage were allowed, etc. It'll strengthen your argument and take it past a rant and it will begin to transform into a much more solid argument. You also had a few grammatical/punctuational errors, but it wasn't anything major and it didn't interrupt the flow of your rant.

Give me a holler when you got that petition going and you'll have my signature ok? Thank you for your submission!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Interesting political perspectives of homosexuality! Personally I've never bothered to look at it that way. Don't think people will ever truly embrace gay people. Thats why I think its better to keep it wrapped behind the closet for everyone's sake and feel free to practice it there.

And so many people are doing it this way. If someone wants to come out of the closet and do something drastic, like get married, they'd better be prepared to face the stigma that comes along with it. Thats just the way it is. Life isn't always fair because people are naturally terrified of change.

But good luck with your petition. Personally I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I'd just move to another country and get married there or something. But then again I'm not too much into politics. It seems nothing more than just propaganda. People will keep doing what they're doing anyway.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Let me know when we can sign that petition, lady, because you just said exactly what I have said many times on this issue. What danged business is it of ours if others want to marry? Well said, and thank you for posting it. Bravo.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I don't think you overstepped any lines in this. Everyone has a right to their opinions and as much as it may tick some people off it's not their right to patronize you for believing in what you do. I've never had to deal with the issue because I live in Canada where gay marriage is legal but I know so many homosexuals in the United States and I feel for them because they're being treated subhuman, just like the blacks back in the 1960's, just like the Jews in World War II etc etc etc. There's so much rasicm and prejudice in the world because people just don't care to understand but I think that your petition is a good way to raise awareness that gays are people too.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Go Lizzy! I feel like brining out my pom-poms.. well If I actually owned them. I would have to say though that this seems more of a blog type post. Not that I didn't enjoy reading it. So write it in Essay form, not like formal, but have your thoughts organized, instead of ranting.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 13, 2008
Last Updated on May 13, 2008

Author

Mercury Mirrors
Mercury Mirrors

Pensacola, FL



About
Okay, for lack of time, (and most of all for the sake of nostalgia for my angsty and self-absorbed teenage years), I have ripped one of those ancient myspace surveys from the forgotten planes of the i.. more..

Writing
ily. ily.

A Poem by Mercury Mirrors