Anarchy

Anarchy

A Poem by Mercury Mirrors
"

:] I like to challenge myself to string together long rhymes, more complicated words, longer stanzas. This is practice work but I quite like it.

"

 

I’m sick of this self-righteous nation
So quick to judge & make condemnations
So quick to start wars, begin instigations
Sick of the high prices, rising inflammation.

I’m sick of this country, in love with itself
With no thought of it’s citizens or their health
While others starve, we reach out no hand to help
We bath in our pool of sticky fat & green wealth.

 

I’m sick of this land filled with ignorant fools
Who have no independence, just empty-faced tools,
With their silent consent, greed & gluttony rule

We get two types of rulers: Incompetent & cruel.

 

I’m sick of an establishment with no detectable soul
I’m sick of getting dragged deeper into this damp, dark hole
That they’ve dug themselves into, self-destruction is their goal.
The kings & queens are laughing as the pawns fulfill their role.
 
I’m sick of a government with no sense of direction
Sick of them putting bugs & tabs on all of my connections
Sick of feeling like a bug under a microscope for inspection
They’re making blunders left & right but none will allow correction.

© 2008 Mercury Mirrors


Author's Note

Mercury Mirrors
Not Done Yet.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't usually like things that rhyme, but this is pretty good, the words are different enough and it has an offbeat to the rhythym that works in it's favor as well as the political slant, one suggestion, "bathe" instead of bath.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Since this is a practice poem, I will be critical. The rhyming and structure are effective at letting the reader follow the poetic stream to it's conclusion.
However, I would have liked you to take the repeated "I'm sick of" line and develop it in the other lines. For example, elaborate on the word "sick", and make a couple of lines that actually make the reader physically ill. Or talk about stomach flu. Otherwise, the poem is too general.
The use of the word "inflammation" and the line "citizens or their health" is on the right track, but ultimately the poem isn't about a sickness, it is about dissatisfaction with the status quo. So the the phrase "I'm sick of" doesn't work.
To stick with that line, maybe make a few more lines saying things like:
"I'm sick of throwing up my good ideas all over the children that are left behind"
You know? Think about sickness, both literal and metaphorical, and how both a person and a nation can be sick in the same way.
Hope this helps, it is a great start!
-D

Posted 15 Years Ago


Fantastic! The rhyme scheme you've used is very effective, unique and stunning. Some of the sentences are a bit tricky, but as it's a work in progress and an experiment, it's understandable.I'm not sure what country you're talking about exactly, but it applies to a large vary of them I'm sure.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Sounds like Bob Dylan's song, "It's alright, Ma, I'm Only Bleeding", but more angry. Pretty powerful.

Posted 15 Years Ago


very well expressed

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 18, 2008
Last Updated on June 18, 2008

Author

Mercury Mirrors
Mercury Mirrors

Pensacola, FL



About
Okay, for lack of time, (and most of all for the sake of nostalgia for my angsty and self-absorbed teenage years), I have ripped one of those ancient myspace surveys from the forgotten planes of the i.. more..

Writing
ily. ily.

A Poem by Mercury Mirrors



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..