DL - The Forge

DL - The Forge

A Chapter by Loekie
"

Sixth chapter of the initial section of A House Fractured entitled Darkness Looming.

"

As Aífe took hold of Li’s hand, she felt a warm glow encompass her body. A lightness grew. She felt her body start to dissipate. The druid shimmered and faded from her sight. There was a vague moment where darkness filled her vision. To be replaced with bright sunlight and a tall sidhé standing before her branishing parchments.


“You don’t even follow your own teachings.” His voice was sharp and strident. His pale blue-white eyes flashed with intent.


“Inwö said that we are to be like parents to those who are training. Like a father. Thus the students require strong discipline.”


“That is your interpretation, Dalldav.” Li’s voice was strong and mellifluous. “The One never spoke or wrote of strong discipline.”


Dalldav angrily waved the parchments. “Parents should not coddle their children.”


“A parent treats each child based on what the child needs. A heavy hand isn’t always what is necessary.”


“Look at what Dathi did several days ago!”


Li noticed Dalldav was a tall and stout sidhé. His hair was blonde with a sharp hint of red, flowing down to the crook of his back. His skin was milky white with a hint of yellow. Dalldav’s eyes were not fully round, hinting an almond shape. The bright saffron robes he wore clung to his well-developed body. His ears were sharper and more pronounced that the sidhé she had seen about the court.


“Was any harm done?” She spoke again.


Anger oozed from the young sidhé. “I have still to finish organizing the research I lost. It has put me behind over a fortnight!”


“Save Dathi apologized, she did offer to help you to make for the inconvenience.” She stressed the last word.


“I do not want her anywhere near me, Master” The contempt in his voice hung in the air.


She could feel her body tense. “That is Dryhten, young one.”


“Yes, Dryhten Laoiseach.” Dalldav flipped through his parchments. He pulled out one, offering it to her.


“You should read what the Páiste do with wilders...”


“Wild talents!” She admonished Dalldav. “I will not brook such scurrilous slang.”


“Whatever. The Páiste have no problems with wild talents,” he slurred the words. “They do not have chaos like we do.”


“I know you are fascinated by this nomadic tribe that lives in the Wërewood but their methods does not translate to what we have here. What works for them will not work for us.”


“That is because you won’t try them!” Li could see that Dalldav was becoming frustrated.


“Young one, we are constantly re-evaluating our pedagogical methods. The Order is but 200 cycles old.” Li flashed a hand out, to stop Dalldav to say something. “I see your point and I am not dismissing it. But so far we do not see the need to make changes to our ways. We have been extremely successful in training wild talents.”


She pointed an index finger at the young sidhé. “I suggest you stop moaning about discomfort and focus on being one-pointed. What I am hearing is the whining of an acolyte over an inconsequential incident.”


“I lost over a fortnight of work because of Dathi!” Dalldav raged.


“Which you can gain again. By the fates! You make it sound as if someone died because of Dathi’s loss of control.”


“Mark my words, that can happen.”


The ominous warning rang in Li’s mind as the image in her mind faded. She found herself in a stuffy room with shelves burgeoning with books. A tall human stood beside her.


“Dryhten, there was no need to come.”


“This is not a slight to you, Friuch. You have done the best you could. A message from Ty Gwydr will not suffice any more.”


Li was about to respond but was interrupted by a knock at the door. She called out. The door opened. Dalldav walked into the room. He was at least 10 cycles older than before. His body seemed less stout. His eyes grew wide when he saw the tall human standing beside her. His head bowed slightly.


“Good day, Dalldav.” The human’s voice was a deep baritone.


“Dryhten Myrddin.” There was a quaver in his voice.


“There is much talk about you across the land.”


“I have heard. Yet I have always believed Inwö’s words -
On the necessary points, unity. On the questionable points, liberty. In everything, love.”


“You need not quote his words to me, young one.” Myrddin pointed to the door. “Let us go for a walk.”


“As you wish.”


They left the stuffy office, heading down an austere stone hall way. An oak door lead to a large quadrangle. In the centre was a large willow with a small marble fountain. Myrddin pointed to a far archway. Li knew it lead out of the main complex of the Library of Grâs.


The sun was near zenith; the complex quiet. They walked silently through the main walkways to the front archway of the library. A verdant plain opened before them as they left the complex.


“Are you here to censure me?” Dalldav asked, his voice uncertain. “Summon me back to Ty Gwydr?”


“Neither.” Myrddin pointed to a small stream that was near the library. The two headed there. “You are good with words, young one. But you don’t follow them.”


“Pardon?” The word came out like a bolt.


“You quote me Inwö’s words yet do not follow them.” Li glanced to Dalldav, seeing his body tense.


“The letter to Rhodri was quite scathing. Yet it was but words of questions.”


“Rhodri is an old fool who cannot lift his head from stale parchments.”


“I see.” The two reached the small stream. Li pointed to a small knoll with a willow tree. “So his questions are of no consequence.”


“He attacked my thesis. How was I to respond?”


“With love and consideration.” Myrddin sat down under the shadow of the willow, motioning Dalldav to join him.


“Read his tract and see what I mean.”


“I’ve read it. In many ways, I agree with him.”


“Of course you would.” Dalldav snarled.


“What saddens me is your reaction, Dalldav. That is not the Way. Anger pulls you away from the centre, bringing you back into the maze.”


“My response was not in anger. It was well thought out and pointed.”


“Dalldav, I have come because things have become worrisome. You are brilliant yet you have difficulty associating with others. There is much negativity in you. It is holding you back.”


“I do not see that.”


“Be it your treatise or the training of wild talents, you demand not ask.”


Dalldav’s eyes flashed in anger. “Is that why you are here? Has Friuch whined about my points?”


Myrddin flashed an index finger at Dalldav. “That is what I speak of!” His voice was stern.


“I bring up a subject and you react in anger. That is not the Way. And just your use of words betrays you.”


“Do you not expect some bitterness when no one listens to you? When you feel you have the answers yet no one wants to hear the questions?”


“That assumes you have the truth.”


Dalldav glared at Li. “Look about you! At the havoc about the scoils. I heard that a fortnight ago a wild ... talent destroyed part of a wall in Ty Gwydr.”


“And it is being reconstructed.” Myrddin said mildly. “No one was hurt. Stone can be replaced. In many ways, the new construction is much nicer than the old enclosure.”


“Some one could have been killed!” Tension radiated from him.


“You are not being one-pointed.”


“Do not give me that!” Dalldav bolted up. “You are so wrapped up in the past. Looking at the initial glories and fail to see what is about you. Am I the only one who can see?”


“You have your sight, I have mine.”


“That is so typical, just become condescending.”


Myrddin sighed. “Do you not think we have struggled over the past? From the onset, questions and worries plagued us. Do you honestly think we are so blind?”


“Look at your once mighty Anáil! It is fracturing before you.”


“The Web of Life is complex. Be it myself or Inwö, we strive ...”


“Oh, please! Inwö has abandoned this cause a long time ago.”


Myrddin chuckled causing Dalldav to become startled. “As always you are looking at the individual threads, not the weave. It saddens me to see the strife amongst us but it is there. Yet as always you are looking at using a heavy hand to exact change when simple persuasion is more lasting.
“You look at the immediate, forgetting the future. You wish change to be seen now, not realizing some change takes ages. Your impatience is at the heart of all you do.”


“Whatever.” Dalldav turned away from Li, looking to the stream.


“Do you have any idea of the reaction your treatise brought about?”


“That is of little consequence.”


“No it is not.”


“They are focused on one small part of the treatise. They do not see the full weave!”


Myrddin picked up a small stone and threw it into the stream. A soft plop echoed about them as ripples moved about the water.


“Every action has a reaction. Are you surprised at the reaction? The consequence of what you propose is monstrous.”


“It depends on how you look at it.”


“No it does not. Based on your belief, the intinn is the basic element.”


“It is.”


“Therefore, if I were to transfer my intinn to you, what happens to your intinn?”


Dalldav did not answer.


“Answer the question, young one.”


“It would be pushed from my body.” The words came out slowly.


“Which would mean?”


“I don’t know.” Dalldav snarled.


“Yes you do. What would be the consequence?”


Dalldav whirled around to look at Li. “My intinn, unless it could find another body would die. Don’t you think I thought of the consequences?”


“Yet you write of it in a blasè manner. Let alone the responses from those who have commented on it.”


“Dryhten,I am not blind to what I propose. Yet it needs to brought up. If I did not do so, someone else, in time, might.”


“Do you realize what could happen?”


Dalldav shrugged. “That is not of my concern.”


“I see.” Myrddin rose. “Be it the treatise or training in our scoils, there is only one correct way, your way.”


“I see nothing wrong with that.”


“You may want to mediate on that.” Myrddin said sadly. “You have lost the Way ...”


“I think I know the true Way,” Dalldav snarled. “But you have become too fossilized to see it.”


Li could feel anger grow in her body. She took a deep breath to quell the negative emotion.


“You may want to think of those words, young one. Consider your future in Anáil. Mayhap this is not your way.”


Darkness swept over the two. As it cleared, Li found herself in a large room with Dalldav and another human. Dalldav was raging.


“I warned them! I warned them!”


“As I have said for most of this time, they will not see. You have to make them see.” The human’s voice was deep. His red hair hair was short. Li noticed his brown eyes were glistening with excitement; it worried her.


“Damn them all, Otémen! I have had enough.”


“No, Dalldav, don’t think that way.” Otémen’s tone was smooth. “Then they will have won.”


“Karin and Aige are dead.” Dalldav spat. “All because of a wilder.”


“And the others,” Li reminded them. She was surprised, her voice was slight, a young female sidhé. The two looked at her.


“How many, Owein?”


“Eight others.”


Otémen nodded. “And you warned them, did you not?”


Dalldav let out a cry of despair. “I have need of air.”


Without warning, he bolted from the room. A glint of triumph grew in Otémen’s eye as the door slammed shut. He smiled at Owein.


“He is close.”


“He is in pain.” Owein reminded Otémen. “He just lost his wife and newborn daughter.”


“Tragic, I agree. But it must be this way when one is being tempered. The hammer hits hard on the glowing metal.”


“The metal could also fracture. Then what becomes of your plans.”


Otémen nodded his head. “This is a delicate time. A time for a gentle touch.”


“Pardon?” Fear coursed through Owein.


“Go talk to him. He will listen to you. He is already close from breaking from the herd. This will be the impetus. And then many others will follow. In time, Anáil will be mine.”


“Your plan is fraught with too many uncertainties.”


“My dear, you do not see what I see. Dalldav must be freed from the shackles of Anáil to continue his research. He needs free reign. If I do not gain Anáil with this gambit, I gain his knowledge.”


“I can see why your daughter hates you.”


Otémen bristled at the barb. “Go and talk to him. You have no choice. Else our deal will be for naught.”


“Even though this pains me, I will do what you want. But if you renege our bargain, I will haunt you.”
“As many have threatened.” Otémen let out a hearty laugh. “I am a man of my word. When Dalldav forms his own group, you will be released.”


Owein stalked out of the room. Her mind was filled with anger and thoughts. Li was shocked that Otémen had her young son, forcing her into doing his bidding. She wanted to scream to Owein there might be another way but what she was experiencing was preordained. She could not change history.


Dalldav was in a copse of trees a few leagues from the Library. He was on his knees, weeping against a willow tree. As Owein approached him, his head turned, tears streaming down his cheeks.


“What do you want? Leave me be!”


“You should not be alone.” Li said, gently.


“There is nothing you can say.”


Owein knelt beside Dalldav, putting a hand on his shoulder. “Mayhap not. But I have been a wife who lost her husband. I have a sense of your grief.”


“Do you?” The question came out with venom. “They did not have to die! For cycles I warned them. They would not listen. By the fates, they killed Karin and Aige!”


“Mayhap it is time to move on,” Owein felt unclean speaking the words.


“What good would that do?”


“There are many who believe as you do. How many times have you told me that the Order has lost its way?”


Gently she touched Dalldav’s cheek. A revulsion grew in her. “Mayhap what happened in the quadrangle could have been prevented if you were in charge.”


“What can one elf do?”


“The Web is weaved with many strong threads. Like yourself. Did Hanlon or Tuireann let that stop them? No. And you are better than them.”


Li forced Dalldav to look at her. “It is you that developed the calendar which is being used in many parts of the world. Mariners are using your findings to determine the levels of tides, helping them navigate place which were not accessible before. The sexton was invented because of you.


“Your research into the fundamentals of magick is part of the teachings here. Before only Inwö could create a Drÿllicgimm. Now many can.” Li paused.


“You have talked many times of the Páiste and how they impressed you. How you could use their ideas and motivation to put the Order back on the right Way. Will do so.” Owein did her best to stop her hand from shaking. She knew she was performing a vile act.


A faint glimmer came into Dalldav’s eyes. “It may be possible.”


“Anything is possible.”


“Myrddin would not approve.”


“Does he need to?” Owein’s voice grew sharp. “Do you wish to be under his shadow for the rest of your life? Look at how he dismisses your work, your treatise.”


“Yes.”


“If you leave here, with those of like mind, you can continue your work. Without the fetters of what Anáil has become. Go back to what Inwö wished.”


“It is not that simple.”


“Nothing is.”


Dalldav stood up. His eyes were clear, his stance strong. “I see now my path. I must think of this properly, though.”


“Of course you do,” Li said soothingly. “Such decisions should not be rash.”


“True.” Dalldav ran his hand over Owein’s cheek, giving it a slight caress. “I thank you for clearing my mind.”


As Dalldav left the copse, Owein slumped to her knees. Bile filled her mouth. As she retched violently, Li felt herself being pulled away, back to her time.


Li gasped for air as the sun bathing the terrace filled her eyes. Aífe pushed the flagon into her hands.
“Take a long draught. It will calm your nerves.”


It was difficult to drink with her shaking hands. Some of the ale dripped onto her robe, leaving various spots about her breasts. What she had learned shook her yet she did not see how it connected to Sédanta’s words. The journeyman raised an eyebrow to Li’s questioning eyes.


“Questions abound, do they not?”


The flagon came down hard onto the table top. “O ... O ... is ... Magnus. One ... one of the ... Immortals.”


Aífe nodded. “As I said, Dalldav’s tale is complex. It is more than just a brilliant thinker going against the system.”


“But what did Magnus have to gain?”


“With Dalldav, he hoped to achieve two outcomes. Which we only learned once Otémen was unmasked.” Aífe paused. “The first, to try to gain a control of Anáil, as it expanded about Larnö and the world. He saw an opportunity to gain control over many Chosen. The fatal flaw of the plan was he never understood the basics of Inwö’s belief. Save some fringe sects, he could not get a foothold.


“A hearty seed was planted with Dalldav. Under Otémen’s guidance, Dalldav seemed to become an active member of Anáil. Many questioned the change. But over time, they forgot some of his personality traits. And ignored his early writings. Yet all Dalldav was doing was preparing his plans.” Aífe shook her head.


“Ten cycles later, Dalldav was offered the position of head Dryhten at Ty Tairngiri. A scoil on the edge of the Celyddon forest, in Larnö. Myrddin saw this as a good opportunity for Dalldav to try to show osme of his teaching methods.”


“But that does not make sense. Dalldav wished to implement rigid rules. How could Myrddin agree to such an idea?”


“Over the ten cycles under Otémen’s guidance, Dalldav learned to moderate his views, the ones he showed to the Order. You have to remember, Magnus is a product of the Breaking of the Hand. He is the essence of the Gift the Maker gave to the human race. Unbridled and pure.


“He instilled many of these concepts to Dalldav. He learnt how to guide the people around him with subtle language. Make them forget his past. Many grew lulled by his sweet words. They honestly believed he had softened his views.”


“But what of Myrddin?”


Aífe held out her hand. “If you are ready, I can show you.”


Li pulled back in her chair. She did not know if she could manage another memory. Yet she needed information. She could not abandon Sédanta. Li took a deep breath before reluctantly accepting the journeyman’s hand. Instantly her mind filled with grey.


She found herself in a warm room. The walls were lined with oak bookcases filled with different coloured tomes. Soft sunlight sparkled about the room, shimmering on the various trinkets that were sprinkled about the room.


She sat at a large oak desk, littered with parchments and books. Li recognized Myrddin’s thoughts. His mind was in a flurry, burdened by a faint hint of apprehension. Li knew something was about to happen. A knock at the door caught their attention.


“Enter.”


The door opened, revealing Dalldav. Li was shocked to see how he had aged. His hair had patches that were snow white. Wrinkles clung to his eyes and lips. Wisps of white hair grew in his ears. His shoulders seemed slumped by an unseen weight. As he came in, Li noticed Dalldav had a faint limp.


“You asked to see me?”


“Yes, yes.” Myrddin motioned for Dalldav to sit in an upholstered chair in front of him. He waited until the sidhé sat down.


“I wished to see you because I have a proposition for you.”


“I see.” Li saw no sense of interest in Dalldav’s eyes.


“As you know, the seat of Ty Tairngiri has become vacant.” Dalldav nodded. “I wish you to take the position.”


A slight change in Dalldav’s body language happened, showing his surprise.


“And you have thought this out?” The tone was even.


“Thoroughly.”


“There will be some resistance.”


“That I am not worried about.” Myrddin shrugged. “It goes with my position.”


Dalldav pursed his lips. Li wondered what he was thinking. The silence hung about them. A couple of moments passed before Dalldav responded.


“There will be resistance at Ty Tairngiri.”


“I believe you can handle that. And I assume you will be bringing some of your followers.”


There was a momentary crack in Dalldav’s composure. Myrddin was pleased by the reaction.


“It is normal for one like you to attract like-minded people. Anáil is not monolithic.” Myrddin paused. “Even though you do not see it so.”


“I have not said so, lately. Times have changed.”


“And so they have. Which pleases me.”


“It does?”


Myrddin reached to one of his deep drawers and opened it. He pulled out a crystal decanter filled with a golden fluid and two glasses. Slowly he poured a generous amount.


“Craigmhór. A liquor produced on a small island named Llangeinwen.”


“I’ve heard of it.” Dalldav blurted. Myrddin was amused.


“A place you may one day wish to visit. Not as exotic as the Wërewood but strong with magick.”


Dalldav took a deep breath as he regained his composure. “It is linked to the Crystal Column.”


“Yes. It lies on the rift that forms the Escarpment. Caer Eryri is a major nexus for the Blood.” He handed Dalldav a glass. Li could see Dalldav was reluctant as he accepted it.


“Yet Craigmhór has naught to do with magick. It is said that they made this before the Start of Time. It is made from peat.”


The glass stopped before it reached his lips. “Pardon?”


“The ingredients should not sway you.”


The glass hovered near his lips. Myrddin picked up his glass and took a sip. Li was surprised by the sharp, pleasant edge of the drink. As it slid down her throat, a warmth started to infuse into their body.


Dalldav brought the glass to his lips and took a gulp. His eyes started to bulge as he coughed violently. His glass heavily hit Myrddin’s desk.


“Oh, I should have recommended small sips.” The druid enjoyed the sidhé’s discomfort.


It was a few moments before the heavy coughing subsided. While he waited, Myrddin took a couple of sips of his Craigmhór.


“This is an acquired taste, much like Llangeinwen. But that is not why I asked you to see me. I know there are those who do not think you have changed. And mayhap you have not. I do not see that as a problem.”


Dalldav cocked an eyebrow. “Yet you know how I feel about the pedagogical thrust of our scoils.”


“Most definitely. And this may be the perfect opportunity to try some of your ideas. Adjust the curriculum. Show us the errors of our way.”


“I never said there were errors in our ways.”


“Not in such blunt terms, I agree.” Myrddin paused. “Dalldav, we are tempered by our experiences. That is a basic tenet of Anáil. Once you gain enlightenment, the journey has just started. I believe, at this juncture of your life, this is what you are being called to do. An important knot in your weave.”


“You’ve foreseen this?”


“No.” He shook his head. “You have been in the shadows, be it here or in Grâs. I feel it is time for you to come forth and become who you were meant to be.”


A small smile came to the sidhé’s face. “Many will say you are playing a dangerous game.”


“I do not play games,” Myrddin said simply. “I am not one who views life as a great and giant game. Where we are but pieces on a board. Those with a view like that do not see, let alone, understand the chaos that surrounds us. Personally, I revel in chaos.”


Dalldav pursed his lips before responding. “If I accept your offer, you possibly may get more than you expect.”


“I would not be in this position if I fear challenge. People talk about the Web of Life. I prefer a tapestry metaphor, as you know. Our life is weaved thread by thread, knot by knot. The look of the weave is based on the choices you make. Not by some invisible hand that directs your life. Going to Ty Tairngiri will reveal a good portion of your weave, my friend. It should be interesting.”


The room faded forming a long stone corridor. A sharp pain pierced her side. She was running furiously. Her breath was ragged; her lungs burning. A sword, at her side, slapped against her thigh. With a flick of her hand, a large wooden door she approached, at the end of the corridor, flung open. Horror filled Li as she burst through the door.


Bright sunshine bathed the area. Before her, a battle raged. The air bristled with magick and the sounds of swords. Standing by the door, Dalldav surveyed the carnage. The top of the stone steps where they stood, lead to the manicured lawn before a dark forest.


Dalldav raised a hand while muttering a few words under his breath. Lengths away, the ground erupted under a small group wearing blue robes. Sod and bodies flew through the air. The bodies slammed into the green grass, crumpling like straw dolls. Dalldav grunted in satisfaction.


“Dryhten, Dryhten!” Li managed.


Dalldav spun around. His eyes were filled with fury and madness. “What is it, Bodb?”


“Myrddin has signalled a truce.”


“And?” Dalldav snarled.


“He will allow us to leave unharmed if we surrender the scoil and the students. To go where we wish.”


“Of course he would offer that.” He waved toward the raging battle. “He is losing.”


“No he isn’t.” Bodb said quickly. “We have lost Tarbfeis, Eimher and Cadwallon. The battle is not going well.”


For a moment Li thought Dalldav would strike her. Bodb stared him in the eyes.


“We can fall back to the caves near the Wërewood. Regroup. Recruit. We don’t need this scoil.”


A sadness filled Dalldav’s eyes. His shoulders started to slump.


“We have lost, Bodb. There is not much more we can do.”


Bodb shook his head. “It is just a set back. Look at what you’ve wrought over the past three cycles. Many of us still live. If we leave, we can continue. There are more that believe as you do. And you must not forget your research.”


“So we go into hiding? Becoming faint voices on the wind?”


“At first.” Suddenly Bodb reacted because of a movement out of the corner of his eye. Without thought, the sword sprang forth. It’s keen edge glistened in the sunlight. As he spun around, a young man rushed forward. Li was shocked to see he was but no more than 15. Bodb recognized the lad.


“Stay your weapon, lad.” Bodb was brusque. “I do not wish to slay you.”


The young man let out a cry, brandishing his sword. Bodb sighed. Effortlessly, he parried the lad’s attacks. Li knew Bodb played with him. Sweat started to form on the lad’s forehead. He blinked furiously as the sweat stung his eyes.


“You are no match for me, Gwawl.” Bodb taunted. “You were never good with the blade.”


As Bodb countered a stroke from Gwawl, he flicked his blade upward, nicking his cheek bone. He let out a cry of pain, stumbling back a few steps.


“Stay your knife,” Bodb mocked. He knew the lad would react. With a broad sweep, his sword sliced upwards, connecting with Gwawl’s sword near the hilt. The force ripped the sword from his hand. Bodb sighed as he brought his blade about, driving it deep into the young man’s chest.


Gwawl’s eyes grew wide in surprise and pain. There was a faint gurgle as some blood oozed out of his mouth. The look changed as a smile came to his face and his eyes filled with peace. He started to slump forward, driving the sharp edges deeper into his chest. Bodb stepped back, pulling his blade from the falling body.


“No great loss,” Bodb commented as Gwawl fell to the stone platform. “One less wilder.”


Dalldav looked out to the battle field. “Too many innocents are being sacrificed. This is not what I wanted. It cannot go on.”


“Then accept Myrddin’s offer.”


“If I must, then I will.”


Li’s eyes swam as Dalldav faded away. She found herself in a roughly hewn stone corridor. She recognized Bodb’s thoughts and body. Beside him was a young sidhé wearing a light cream robe. He seemed to be nervous.


“I do not understand why he wishes to see me.” A tremor rippled through his voice.


“He has been impressed by your advancement.” Bodb said smoothly. Li knew he was lying. “He has a special assignment for you.


They reached a worn oak door. Bodb knocked before opening the door. Li was shocked to see an old, wizened Dalldav sitting in a rocking chair.


“Come forth.” His voice was weak but his eyes sparkled with strength. “Ah, Uilliam, I am pleased to see you.”


Uilliam bowed lowly. “As am I, Master.”


Dalldav motioned to a small stool beside him. “Please, sit beside me.”


The young sidhé glanced at Bodb, indecisive. His green blue eyes were bright. “It is fine.”


Li knew Uilliam was in danger but Bodb’s thoughts were shielded. Something was about to happen. She wanted to scream but nothing that could be done. With slow steps, the sidhé walked forward and sat down. An eagerness grew in Bodb.


“I’ve asked you here because of some of the research I have been conducting.” Dalldav looked at Uilliam.


“What kind of research?”


“I would love to explain it to you but to be blunt, it is a little beyond your current education. It is quite esoteric.” He put a wizened hand on Uilliam’s shoulder.


“Suffice it to say, it more your youth that is important here. There is no need for understanding. All I ask is you trust me.”


“Implicitly, Master. But why me?”


“You are a special lad, Uilliam. You are strong in the Blood. You have mastered topics faster than most of your age. I can see you will go far in our ranks.”


Uilliam beamed at his Master. “I am proud I can serve you.”


“And you will. All I ask is for you to relax.” Dalldav motioned to Bodb. He went to a desk and pulled out a crystal decanter of golden liquid. He poured a small glass. He brought it to the youth and then stepped away. Uilliam stared at it, confused.


“It is a rare drink. Take small sips. It will relax you.”


The sidhé brought it close to his lips. His nose wrinkled upwards.


“This is alcohol.”


“Yes it is. I can see you are tense and this will help relax you a little.”


“But I am not of age.”


“What of that?”


Uilliam was confused. “I do not understand.”


“Have I ever asked much of my people?”


“No, never,” Uilliam said rapidly.


“So just take a few little sips. Relax. And then we can let the experiment begin.”


The first sip brought a grimace to Uilliam’s face. It was a few moments before he took another sip. A faint smile came to his face. Li saw Dalldav patiently watching the sidhé. When the glass was empty, Bodb came forward, taking the glass.


“But Master, I don’t understand.”


“Just relax. Take some deep breaths. It will all become clear in a short while.”


As his Master requested, Uilliam took a few deep breaths. He started to relax and get comfortable under Dalldav’s and Bodb’s gaze.


“Just close your eyes.” Dalldav’s voice was soft.


Slowly, Uilliam closed his eyes, as did his Master. Li could see Dalldav’s hand tighten on the shoulder. His lips started to move yet she could not hear the words. A faint glow formed about him, blurring his features. The eagerness in Bodb grew like hunger.


Uilliam’s breathing started to slow. His face grew pale as Dalldav’s lips continued to move. The penumbra about him grew intensely becoming a glaring white. The sidhé’s eyes snapped out, revealing a milky white glaze. His mouth opened a little, letting out a faint gasp. Suddenly Dalldav’s body snapped up, becoming rigid. Li thought she heard some bones snap. His eyes opened; the life in them fled. The shimmer disappeared.


Uilliam’s body spasmed as if there was an internal conflict. His arms flayed about, dislodging Dalldav’s hand. It dropped limped to the side. The young sidhé’s eyes grew a bright white. A cry of pain rushed out of his mouth with a sharp breath. A few beads of mucus dripped from his nose as Uilliam slumped forward. Bodb rushed to him, pushing him back up.


“Master, Master? Did it work?”


The young head looked up. His green blue eyes were filled with life.


“It is done,” Uilliam smiled. Li recoiled in horror. The voice was youthful but not Uilliam’s. Dalldav was now in the young sidhé’s body. She let out a scream as terror enveloped her and blackness claimed her mind.


Li awoke to see the concerned face of Curcog. As she focused, Curcog looked away.


“What ye be doing to this young lass?” Her voice was stern.


“There is a truth she needs to know.” Aífe defended herself.


“Look at the poor lass! Ye could have used restraint.” Curcog reached out to help her up.


“I am alright,” Li protested as she sat down. “Aífe did nothing wrong.”


Curcog eyed Li. “Ye know not Aífe like me. She be impetuous.”


“Curcog, please. This is not really of your concern.”


Curcog glanced back at Aífe. “I will leave ye be. But me eye is on ye.”


She let out a loud humph before leaving. Aífe shook her head before focusing on Li.


“I apologize. I did not prepare you for that. You are not of Anáil. I forgot. Our training prepares us for this.” The journeyman ran a finger over the rim of her flagon. “You asked of Dalldav. Now you have some insight that only a few have.”


Li took a gulp of her ale. She could not shake the horror she felt. She had seen Dalldav possess another person’s body, killing the young Uilliam. She could understand the court druid’s reaction, now knowing what evil Dalldav could do. Part of her mourned for the loss of the young forgotten sidhé.


“He was evil. Now I see.”


“No!” Aífe said sharply. “Do not fall into that simple trap.”


Li glared at the druid. “He possessed Uilliam. He killed him so he could live. How can you say that is not evil?”


“You are young. “You have no idea what the fear of death is like. What it will drive some people to do, especially those like Dalldav. He would have felt justified to do what he did because it allowed him to continue his research and work.”


“He killed someone. Murdered them. That is evil.”


“Good and evil are easy labels, Li. Things are not often black and white.”


“Are you defending his actions?”


“No, but now you see one of the two reasons why Dalldav causes such a visceral reaction.”


“What could be worse than what I seen?” Li feared the answer.


“Dalldav believed that many of the problems about Rë could be resolved if magick was controlled.”


“Pardon?”


“I would prefer to show you then tell you.” Li pulled away. “But I shan’t. You have experienced enough for one day.”


“You see, Dalldav believed the chaos in the world, stemming from the Breaking of the Hand, was caused by there was no control. Unfettered access to magick was causing the ills on the world. It would also prevent tragedies with respect to wild talents. They would be able to learn safely if access to magick was somehow controlled.”


“But, Aífe, you cannot control magick. It is all about us. It is the Blood which is around the world.”


Aífe shook her head. “It is not the Blood. Magick comes from the emanations of the ealdorfáh. A good example is a river. The Blood is the water in the river. From the river a mist forms. It is that we use, what forms magick.”


“Be it water or the mist, it cannot be contained.”


“That is not completely true. Rivers can be dammed. Mist can be collected in bottle.” Aífe paused.
“There are some who think it can, as Dalldav did. Let me show you something that defines the logic behind their belief.”


Li expected Aífe to reach out yet instead slipped her hand into a pocket. She pulled out a green velvet pouch. From it she pulled out a large, bright turquoise gem. Li felt drawn to it.


“This is a Drÿllicgimm. These are special and rare items.” Aífe handed it to Li. As she held it, a throb of power coursed through her. Energy tickled her being. She found her mind, body and spirit were in balance. Li looked at a candle in a sconce behind Aífe. With no effort, a flame danced on the wick. Quickly she handed it back to the journeyman.


“It is raw magick.”


Aífe nodded. “A Drÿllicgimm is a special object that one has stored magick in.”


“Why?”


“There are many different reasons. This one, as you saw,” Aífe shifted the gem about in the light, “is for extra help.”


“But you are adept in magick. Why do you need extra help?”


“There are many times, as a journeyman, you need access to more power than that is about you. Yet the reasons are not of import. It is possible to imbue magick into objects to use another time.” Aífe put the gem back into the pouch.


“Creating these is a dangerous endeavour. Think of a bladder for holding water. You can fill it only so far before it bursts. It is the same for a Drÿllicgimm. But unlike a bladder where you only get wet if it ruptures, the result of an explosion of magick is usually fatal.


“And like a bladder, you can use just a little magick or all of it. The first Drÿllicgimm were created by Inwö. Twenty five stones that are now of legend.”


“This is what gave Dalldav the idea of controlling magick?”


“Yes.”


“But is it possible?”


Aífe shrugged. “Ever since Dalldav suggested this, it has been a subject of much debate.”


“He suggested this yet no one reacted?”


“It was part of his early writings, presented theoretically. Which did, at first, bring about lively debate.”


Li shook her head. “It did?”


“There are many things debated, especially esoteric issues. We delight in discussing the what ifs. As long as the debates stay academic.”


“What do you mean?”


“What Dalldav provided is a good mind puzzle. Something to contemplate and wonder yet Dalldav started experiments to see if it could be done.”


“But what was the feeling about the idea? Is it possible?”


“There is no general consensus. But those deep in the lore of the ealdorfáh voiced a compelling worry, keeping most away from trying.” Aífe pointed to her pouch.


“All Drÿllicgimm are small, so take up a small part of the ether. And many of them are porous, so the magick seeps back into the world. But the question is, what would happen if too much were siphoned off.”


Li shrugged. “And?”


“Pure speculation. A thought experiment, really. Taking a small amount of mist would not affect a river. Yet the more you take away, the more you may affect the water. You are taking more and more from the physical source. There will come a point where it could irrevocably change the river and it would not be able to produce mist.”


Li took a sip, thinking. “So some believe that if you create too many of these Drÿllicgimm, it could damage the Blood?”


“Or one too large, yes.”


It took a few moments for Li to comprehend what the druid was saying. “So what you are saying,” Li spoke in a low voice, “is what Dalldav wanted to do could destroy magick about Rë?”


“Some believe that.”


“But we talk of what happened hundred of cycles ago. Nothing has happened. Magick is still about us. So why does the name still cause such a reaction?”


“Think of what you saw, Li. Dalldav may not be dead.”


Li’s eyes grew wide. “But you said he was dead! How can you say that?”


“I hope he is. But Uilliam became the leader of the Blood and Stone, the sect Dalldav formed. It is said that each subsequent leader is Dalldav reincarnated.”


A shiver ran through Li. “So he may not be dead.”


A small shrug came from Aífe. “We cannot confirm or deny if the leader of the Blood and Stone is Dalldav. We do not know enough about the transferring of one’s being into another. Is it complete or does some of the original intinn remain? It is possible each transfer corrupts the original intinn a little. Or is there a limit to the number of times it can be done? We do not know.


“Yet we do know that the Blood and Stone continues the research he started. If he is not alive, the drive he brought to the sect is still alive.” Aífe opened her hands, palm up to Li. “Now you know.”


Li finished her flagon. She did not know what to say or ask; too much was going through her mind. Aífe sat, waiting.


“So you believe Dalldav,” she managed, “has something to do with all of this?”


“That, I cannot say for sure.” Aífe put away her pouch. “Yet the Blood and Stone have become ensconced on Nico. The Houses Dispossessed have welcomed them with open arms. Which concerns us.”


“Why?”


“Llangeinwen is a special place in the world. It is one of the few places where one can get close to the ealdorfáh. Some say see it.”


“It is?”


Aífe pointed over her shoulder. “The Escarpment Dún Suíbhné is against is along the same rift of the Escarpment on Larnö. Where the Crystal Column resides.


“The ether is strongest on the fissures created when the Hand was broken. This small isle is on one of the major rifts.


“The strongest concentration is Caer Eryri. Legend has it that there is a room, deep in the roots of that mountain where you can actually glimpse the ealdorfáh. Think of it. Even without Dalldav, where would the Blood and Stone covet the most to control?”


“But the sidhé and Houses would not allow that!” Li shook her head.


“The elves,” Aífe corrected, “have little say in Llangeinwen. They have their Caers and æcens. They are not involved in the politics. Ever since the Breaking of Houses, the Houses Dispossessed have vowed to regain control of this island. Now they have a formidable group to counter the Order. It is possible Sédanta foresaw something of this in the mirror.”


“By the fates!” Li became ramrod in her chair. “And if Gwri exists, he is of the House Suíbhné.”


“Exactly.” Aífe pointed to the pouch she had given Li. “The threads are thin. We could be wrong. But I feel it is essential we find the truth of what Sédanta spoke of.”


“And I have no connection to the court or the Reachtas.”


“Yes. Your goals are not touched by the politics of the island.” Aífe rose. “Read what I have given you. Sédanta was found in Tuaim Inbhir. That is a good place to start.”


“I do not know.” Li was indecisive.


“Read what I have given you. If you decide to go out and search for Gwri, let me know.”


“How?”


“Speak to Kynan. I will receive the word.” Aífe gently put her hand on Li’s shoulder. “This is for you to decide. It may be time to move forward. If you decide not to pursue this, there is no shame. Cyre is paramount here.”


“Cyre?”


“Free will. The threads you weave are for you to weave.” Aífe walked away.


Moments passed slowly as Li sat, digesting all that had happened. The information overloaded her. She was so deep in thought, when a flagon appeared in front of her, she jumped in surprise.


“Ye may be needing this.” Curcog said with a mothering tone.


As Li fumbled for her change purse, Curcog shook her head.


“Ye have been through enough. This be on me.”


“But ... but ..” Li started to protest. The landlord raised her hand, breaking into a small smile.


“Dealing with the Order be stressful and complicated. I have seen. I offer no advice but be cautious, young one, in the domain of druids. Och! Ye be too young and innocent.”


“I have no choice.”


Curcog wagged a finger at her. “Ye always be having a choice. Ye are not a puppet on strings.”


“Some times it feels that way.”


“I see ye be a good lass.” There was a gentle pat on her shoulder. “Vacation is me suggestion. Go away. Back where ye are from.”


Curcog quietly walked away, leaving Li alone with her thoughts in the afternoon sun.



© 2008 Loekie


Author's Note

Loekie
Being a major revision of the first draft, I am looking for everything - grammar, POV problems, plotting issues. This is new material, that is draft 0. And please note, spelling is Canadian not American so don't point the differences. Hit me with your best shot!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

As you will see below, I was a bit confused during the first memory transfer, but by the second, you were much clearer and it was working better. Dalldavs story is a good one, a story that needed to be told sooner than later and not just for Li...but the readers as well. Good job. Now, onto the thoughts

1..."That is your interpretation, Dalldav." Li's voice was strong and mellifluous. "The One never spoke or wrote of strong discipline."

Ok..I was taken back a little by Li's voice speaking. If she is in someone else's body, mind, or memory, I think you will need to show the transition a bit more. Reading on, additional points of reference showing Li speaking confirms it was not a mistake. So I understand a bit what you are trying to accomplish, but my thought is, would it really be "her" voice?

2..."Good day, Dalldav." The human's voice was a deep baritone.

From this point I was getting lost on who is speaking, and who Li is verses who others are and had to keep going back over this. I think it would help to have some more internal thoughts or directors to show who is who and who is speaking. Look at the example below...

"Neither." Myrddin pointed to a small stream that was near the library. ... Li glanced to Dalldav, seeing his body tense.


Myrddin...is this the mind Li is seeing all of this through? Previously you used Li to show...now to change up to Myrddin... and then back to using Li again, its a bit confusing.

Also...point of grammar.... that was near ... is "that was" needed, read the sentence without it. Less wordy as well.

3...you demand not ask." I think there needs to be some type of punctuation between demand and ask...maybe an M-dash to show a pause.

4..."And the others," Li reminded them. She was surprised, her voice was slight, a young female sidh�. The two looked at her.

Ok...you have changed scenes and once again, Li is seeing this through the eyes, experiences of another. It would seem to me that if she was in anothers mind, would she be able to see what she looked like? No, so something else is going on and I am not sure of this concept. Let me brain storm with you a moment.

Li is reliving events and through the eyes of those who confronted Dalldav. But in reality, it seems to me that it is Dalldav memories she is sharing because he is the constent in all of this. Now Aifi is sharing memories, and perhaps its my fault, but I assumed them to be of a singular individual. Then in reading this chapter, I learn it is multple perspectives. But this is causing confusion as presented all the back and forth with one name then Li, then another name, then Li. I love the premise of this memory transfer, but think you will need to look at strengthing the transitions and who is who. Ok...not going to beat you any more about this and more on to other thoughts.

5...but what she was experiencing was preordained. Not sure preordained is the proper term here since she is reliving a past event.

6...The glass hovered near his lips. Myrddin picked up his glass and took a sip. Li was surprised by the sharp, pleasant edge of the drink. As it slid down her throat, a warmth started to infuse into their body.

I am unsure what happened, but you have a firm grasp in this second memory session that does not confuse me. Like the passage above. I know it Myrddin drinking, but you show Li feeling the effects. Well done and I want to see more of this in the first memory section.

7..."You are a special lad, Uilliam. You are strong in the Blood. You have mastered topics faster than most of your age. I can see you will go far in our ranks."

Transfer coming...but it was not telegraphed too early. Well done in allowing the reader to see it coming, but not too soon. The transitions of the time periods helps too as he is getting older with each one, so to continue, he must....

8..."Think of what you saw, Li. Dalldav may not be dead." I was thinking the same thing. He did it once, what is to stop him from doing it again and again. Talk about immortal. But there is a problem with that too. If too many people learn this, then they will view others as no more than a vassel...ahhh the complexity of the weave.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

415 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on March 18, 2008


Author

Loekie
Loekie

Montreal, Canada



About
Growing up, I never saw myself as a storyteller. But looking back, I see the seeds. I would build complex models with my Lego or Mecano, each with a story to tell. When I played with my Tonkas, Dinkey.. more..

Writing
Drawn Drawn

A Story by Loekie