Stone of Blood: An Elegy

Stone of Blood: An Elegy

A Chapter by Loekie
"

The primary story introducing King Gwefldn. Unlike the subsequent stories which can be read in any sequence, this story sets up the series. Based on a Celtic tale.

"

Mourn not, for the King is dead! As he laid on the gore-soaked land, he proclaimed “This is not a time for mourning. For do we mourn when we go from winter to spring? I say not! It is a time for a renewal. For every man must go through the four seasons. I have come to the end of the cold frosts of winter. It is time for newness to come to my land. Rejoice! for now you have a new king to lead you. Mourn not for the passing of this one man.”


Tradition dictates that we have three days for elegies. Starting with those who were the closest to the man. I have been elected to speak first, for I have been by his side since his youth. I stand before you, to speak the first. But I will not be the first to lament and bewail the passing of him for it is not our way. I will reflect on him, on his greatness. Thus, as my elegy, I will recount the first of many adventures I shared with him. The one, which many say, showed the greatness that was to become, shimmering through his youthfulness. The beginning of the removing of a yoke from our people. But I beg you not to expect the prose of a bard or druid, for I am a simple man.


At that time, I was one of many in his stewardship. Then, he was but Prince Gwefldn. Young and impetuous. A handful that annoyed his father. One who wilfully ignored protocol and scoff at the rigours of the royal court. It came to pass that his father wished a formal treaty with the Nicoseans. Peace had reigned for five years but the power of a treaty would guarantee a sustained peace. To negotiate and sign the treaty, the King decided to send Gwefldn, the future ruler. Three ships would be sent, with three times ten men. I was chosen to be his servant for the journey.


The first step of any journey, as you may remember, was a consultation with the druids. After some time of divination, the chief druid, Mael dur Tardhg summoned Gwefldn to the main council chamber. When we entered the chambers, Mael was huddled over a map. A couple of his disciples stood near him.


“Well, seer, what have you augured for us?” the Prince said, with some disrespect.


Mael looked up from the map. “The journey has been mapped, sire. We have seen the route you must take.”


The Prince walked up to the map. “Good. Show me the route.”


“That is not why I summoned you.” Mael looked surprised.


“Fine. But since I am here, you could do me the courtesy to show me the route I will be taking.”


Mael sighed. The novices looked up at the Prince, shocked. “Very well.” Mael dragged his finger along the chart as he spoke.


“We will travel the route which will take us around the Isle of Drem. We go along this way to finally reach Nico.”


Gwefldn looked at the map. “But that would add a week to the trip. What if we would go this way?” He traced a route on the map.


Mael glared at the Prince. Even though it was not public knowledge, Mael was against much of the learning which Gwefldn received, which included reading maps. He argued that such knowledge was unnecessary for a sovereign. His advisors required such knowledge. Gwefldn responded that to be a good ruler, he would need knowledge from herblore to map reading, else he would not be able to rule justly and wisely. Many say his father allowed the Prince to follow his way because he did not want to argue with his hot-blooded son. The seers had grumbled that trouble would become of it. The King bent too easily to his son’s will.


“Are you questioning us, sire?”


“Yes. I wish to know why a longer route was divined as the best way.”


Mael straightened himself and stared at the Prince. “The augury was based on the following ideals: the safety of yourself, the smoothest passage and the success of the negotiations. The answer was this route. Do you wish to personally question the gods?”


“No. All I wished to know was why and you have more than adequately answered my question. Now, why did you summon me, if it was not to tell me about our route?”


The seer licked his lips and took a deep breath.


“We should leave within three days.” The seer put up his hand to stop the Prince’s protest. “For the negotiations to be successful, we must leave in three days. And your father has agreed with us. The farewell banquet must be held before then.”


“Fine. So be it. If that is what you feel is correct.”


Mael's eyes widened slightly. I think he was expecting an argument.


“Anything else?”


“It is best that a seer join the journey. On the main ship.”


“Why? What purpose would that serve? You never do so with my father.”


“It would be expedient.”


“Why is it I feel that you want to watch over me?”


Mael waved at his disciples. They left the room, silently. He looked at me, expecting me to leave. The Prince stood silently, ignores the attempt at dismissal. He sighed.


“You persist in antagonizing us, don't you?”


The Prince laughed at the seer. “Every turn, you try to restrict me. There are times it seems you are trying to weave threads to make me a puppet. Don't you think that would make me suspicious?”


“Ah, to be a youth again.” Mael smiled at the Prince. “In a few cycles, all will be clear.”


“I beg your pardon?” Gwefldn sounded confused.


“It was expected that you would be rebellious. With your mother dying in the birth, there was nothing to stabilize your hot head. Your father dotes a bit too much on you, so we must be strict.” Mael paused.


“You are to be a great ruler. It was written in the bones. But to be a great ruler, one must be of a level mind. You are suspicious of us because we try to restrict you. We do not. We give you guidance and discipline. If you were one of your father's b******s, you would be free to do as you please. The heavy burden of kingship is not easy to carry. We are just helping to forge you so that you will be able to carry it. It is like Niemh, your sword. It took time to forge before it became Niemh. Right now you see us as trying to clip your wings so you cannot soar. In the future, you will have your time. But now you must prepare. If it means you hate us, that is our burden to bear but in awhile you will see that we only had the good of you and the land in mind.”


Gwefldn looked at the map, then Mael. “I do not hate you, Mael. But I do question some of the policies that seem to be taking root. A hundred cycles ago, it would be customary for the Crown Prince to learn map reading, writing and other activities you did not wish me to learn. Look at Aillil. How he hated to write yet how it came to his advantage. Or what of Llwybyr and Llacheu?”


Mael let out a small sigh. “Prince, you speak of different times. Llacheu is over a millennium ago as is Llwybyr. And Aillil is from an era four hundred cycles past. Times have changed. The world is more complex than those days. You cannot do everything yourself.”


“Did not Aillil write ‘Dependency on advisors leads to laziness and control’?”


“Again those were different times. Remember the time. The court was being assaulted from within. A civil war was raging. His mother had become dependent on an evil man who wished to bring down the House of Suíbhné.” Mael paused. “You should not use quotes out of context. We are working for the best of the land and yourself.”


“I understand what you are trying to do. I may not agree but what choice do I have? Mayhap, one day, we will see eye to eye and face the truth.”


“Well said, sire. One day we will look back at these troubled times and laugh.”


Thus the journey was set and the banquet held. As some may remember, it was a grand feast. Yet Gwefldn was not pleased at Mael for he did not join him at the main table as protocol dictates but excused himself to the table of seers to discuss final arrangement. But that did not foul the festivities as some expected. The Prince laughed at the perceived insult but I noticed a few guarded glances to their table.


Thus the next day, we set sail. Mael, of all the seers, was elected to join us in the foremost ship. Once the ships set sail, Mael went to his chambers for meditation. He said he would stay there for the journey unless needed. By the colour of his skin, I would say he was ill even before we left the harbour. I suppose it is true what they say about seers and water.


After a couple of days at sea, Gwefldn marched to see the captain. He had been looking out at the sea and suddenly grew agitated. Obviously, I followed him. He walked to the table near the steering wheel.


“What if we were to go along this route?” He asked without preamble.


“That would be the preferred route, sire.” The captain admitted. “The winds are more favourable and it would take less time to reach Nico.”


“So do you see any problem using the route?”


“Of course not. We follow that route frequently. But the seers have said that the longer route would be better.”


“If we were to go my way, would there be more danger?”


“I say not. Unless a sudden squall arises or a wandering serpent appears. I see no more danger.”


“Then I think we should change course.”


“Do you think that is wise, sire? So do you not thing we should we consult the seer?” A faint sense of worry was in his voice.


Gwefldn looked out at the shimmering sea. “Do you think that the clear blue sky will suddenly change over the next two days?”


“Not at this time of year. You do not need a seer for that. The winds are light. Even if there were a freak storm, it would not come for at least three or four days.”


“Thus all we would worry about is a serpent. Yes?”


“Not in these waters. These waters have been safe for cycles.”


“So if a learned sea captain sees no danger using my route, then why waste the time of a seer? I think you would agree with me that seers have been known to be wrong. Let us change course and save time.”


“Yes, sire,” the captain cautiously agreed.


The journey was uneventful until we passed the Asurn Isles. It was a bright day, the seas calm as shimmering light. Mael came out of his chambers, extremely agitated. He went to the bowmaster and stared at the sea. Gwefldn and I went to him. As Gwefldn was about to speak, Mael motioned him to silence.


Suddenly, from the green-blue shimmer came three sleek forms of dolphins. With effortless grace, they matched the motion of the ship. The largest of the quine looked at Mael, her crimson red eyes sparkling in the bright sunlight. As the silent time passed, Mael’s face grew drawn. The silence between the two became heavy and dark.


As suddenly as they appeared, the quine disappeared beneath the sea’s surface. Mael sagged heavily in the bowmaster. A sense of defeat emanated from the seer. He looked up at the Prince with hooded eyes.


“What have you done?” he said in a low voice.


“What are you saying?”


“This course will lead to misfortune.”


Gwefldn gazed out to the sea. “What foolish blather is this?”


“You have taken us off the path divined.”


“What of it? The captain saw no danger in this path.”


“Do you take his words over mine? I speak with the power! Have you no respect for the gods? Your impetuousness has lead us into folly!”


“I think you are reacting a little extreme, seer.” Gwefldn answered defensively. “As I said, I talked…”


“Be silent!” the seer growled. “You have some knowledge yet you walk about as if you have all the knowledge. You hear people but you do not listen.”


“Watch your tone, seer! Remember who you are talking to!”


“More than you know. Do you think our auguries are just for whims? We prostate ourselves to the gods, to gain some knowledge to guide us. Yet you seem to be content to sneer at that.”


 “Your art may be powerful but not omniscient. Else you would be like the gods. Have you not been wrong in reading what the gods tell you before?”


Mael stared at the Prince, his mouth agape.


“The gods tell us what they wish, leaving much for us to ponder. Do you expect the gods to reveal their divine plan in detail? Now, tell us why this path will lead to misfortune. Why is it an experienced captain does not see danger yet you have.” Gwefldn continued.


Mael took a deep breath as he pointed out to the see. “Entrapment lies ahead of us, sire. Ahead of us lies water which will hold a ship like honey a wasp. Once a ship enters, it cannot move to leave. Why do you think the other path was divined.”


“What did the leader of quine tell you of this place?”


“She knew little of the place. She says they avoid it as we should. They have seen ships enter the veil of mist not to return.”


Gwefldn looked to the horizon. “But I see no veil ahead of us. Where is this area of enchantment? How far does it extend?”


“That I do not know for certain. I was told to go north for at least seven trels before turning back toward Nico.”


“Then let it be done. I suggest that you return to your chambers to see if anything else lies before us.”


“Yes, sire.” Mael genuflected. “And may I recommend that we stay on the correct path without any deviations!”


“I will take that into consideration, seer.”


The seer glared at the Prince and left. Once the seer was gone, the Prince scowled at the sea.


“If there is such an area of enchantment, why have not the mariners reported this before? Mariners consult the dolphins often. Yet suddenly we are being informed of an area of entrapment. Something is not right with this.”


“Do you doubt the seer, sire?” I asked slowly.


Gwefldn laughed at the question. “They say to doubt a seer is to doubt the gods. Who are we to question the ways of the gods? Something lies before us, foul or fair. Something Mael seems for us to avoid. We must be prepared and most of all, not fear. The seer says our path lies with the gods, for only they know what is to become of us. Well, so be it.”


“But what do you say?”


Gwefldn pondered for a moment. “Gods have their own problems. I wonder if the gods guide us as completely as the seers wish us to believe.”


Even though he said not to fear, I must admit that fear pierced my heart. The golden azure of the sea held a dark secret. One which I did not want to learn. As the ship changed course, a wind filled the sails. I stayed at the bowmaster, watching for some sign until the sun set.


None came, so I retired to my room beside the Prince’s. But that night, from a fitful sleep, we were aroused. We could hear commotion throughout the ship. Dressed just in our sleep cloth, the Prince and I entered the fray.


As we ascended to the main deck, the Prince remarked that the ship was stationary. When mentioned, I also noticed that there was no motion. Had we strayed into the enchantment? Where we fated to die the death of the other travellers?


When we came to the main deck, it was covered with a dense mist, much like the mist of enchantment druids use to hide. It was thick and clammy. Our cloths stuck to us like wet parchment paper. The appearance of the Prince on the deck brought an unsettled calm to the sailors. Gwefldn stood in the middle of the fray, stout heart and fearless.


“Where is the captain?” he asked in a firm voice.


Through the sailors, came the captain. He tried to look at the Prince but could not. He stared at the wooden planks.


“Look at me, captain,” Gwefldn said in a kindly voice. “I do not wish to talk to a formless head of hair.”


The captain lifted his head as if a heavy weight burdened him.


“Now, tell me what has happened.”


“I cannot say, sire. As we sailed, a heavy mist came about us. Even though we had wind in our sails, it was as if the mist prevented us to move. I tried to move away but I could not see our way. It is, now, as if the seas have turned to honey.”


“So it seems,” Gwefldn looked about the faces. “Have the seer brought up here.” There was a hard edge to his voice.


As we waited, the Prince went to the bowmaster. After a couple of steps, he was completely enveloped and disappeared. I rushed forward, only to run into him.


“So, we have been ensnared. For what purpose, I wonder. An area of enchantment which is unknown. I talked to the captain earlier today and he knew of no such area. What is amiss? Does someone not wish peace between Nico and us?”


“Hopefully, the seer will be able to answer those questions, sire.”


Gwefldn looked at me, with a flash in his eyes. “That is if their powers are not greater than ours. Are the gods working for us or against us?”


“Sire, do not blaspheme!”


We both turned around to see Mael. He looked about the area, with a wild look, making signs against strong enchantment.


“If you blaspheme, they may leave us.”


“Are you saying that they haven’t already done so?”


Mael grew frantic. “Sire, don’t!” his voice became high pitched.


“Don’t what, Mael?” The anger in Gwefldn started to grow visible. It seemed to sustain the sailors around the bowmaster.


“Sire, ill can come about if you blaspheme the gods.”


“Mael, as you can see, we have fallen into the enchantment you warned us about. Do you not think the gods would expect us to be angered by this? I do think I have a right to be angered and demand some sort of explanation.”


“If you would have followed the words spoken, ill would not have befallen us. You were warned, Prince Gwefldn.” Mael paused. “It was because of your actions we are now here.”


“Within this lies a dilemma, seer. At first, you give vague warnings. Then you warn us of an area of enchantment which mariners do not seem to have tales about. Your advice was followed but we still find ourselves in the entrapment. Instead of laying blame, explain this!”


“If you wished, you would question the gods!” Mael said loudly. It was as if he was talking to the crew not the Prince. “I only lay blame because of your carelessness! You stand before everyone, saying you wish to be a knowledgeable ruler but you refuse to take sound advice when it is given. You do not base your judgment on knowledge but recklessness! I do not know why we are caught here but mayhap you can explain to your people why you decided to contradict what we have divined with the folly you chose.”


There were some murmurs amongst the sailors.


“You did not answer the question, seer. Something below the mists of the sea is holding us. An enchantment as powerful as this must have some reason.”


“Mayhap, they want our gold,” one sailor ventured.


“It is possible. What do you say, seer?”


“I do not know. Would someone with such powers want just gold?”


“Perhaps not.” Gwefldn fell into thought for a little while. He then turned to me. “Go to my cabin and fetch my sword.”


“You expect to fight a phantom, sire?” Mael exclaimed.


“Niemh may be a mighty and powerful sword but not against phantoms. I will cast it out to those in the waters, for receiving such a token may release us.”


“But you cannot, sire. There must be another way. To cast aside a sword of such potency will weaken the land and you. Do you wish to compound folly with another?”


“Then you suggest we wait here to die as invalids? Seer, you are very good at telling me what not to do but you have not given me any suggestions on what we should do.”


Mael glared at the Prince with hooded eyes. “Let us first try what treasures we have, to appease those in the sea. Maybe the sailor is right and all they wish is just our baubles.”


Gwefldn pondered what the seer had said. “Then let it be so. Even though I do not think it will appease them.”


Thus, the men threw treasures into the sea. Emeralds from Esgén, turquoise from Orlàm and sapphires from Aneigin. The mist stayed heavy on the ship. No amount of treasure could lift the veil. Finally, Gwefldn, himself, went to his room, returning with Niemh.


In the inhuman darkness of the mist, a light silver sheen glowed from the edges. The power of the sword filled the area. It almost seemed as if the sword cut a path in the mist. There was a grim look on the Prince’s face as he made his way to the bowmaster.


“Sire, do not do this!” Mael cried out. He stood before the Prince. “It would be better if I threw myself over into the waters than you throw such an instrument of power,” he implored.


“But surely you would drown?” Gwefldn eyed the seer. “But if you feel this would be the best solution, then let it be so.”


Mael looked down to the deck of the ship but do not say a word.


“I thought so. This sword derives much of its power from me. Thus another can be fashioned for me.”


“What the gods gave you, you cannot frivolously throw away,” Mael said in a soft voice.


A slight murmur came from the sailors. Many stories about Niemh were known, myth and fact. The power of the sword was undisputed. I cannot give the tale of the sword for only two people were privy to the giving of the sword. One dead, one not at this gathering. It is said that the gods fashioned a sword for a king to rule the land, in peace, healing wounds caused by centuries of strife. But the tale of Niemh is not for me to tell.


Gwefldn stood with his sword, looking at the seer.


“You assume that this is mine to keep.”


Mael blanched. “Still your tongue, else you will bring ruin upon us.”


Surprisingly, Gwefldn laughed at the seer. “Are you saying it is not already upon us? I question not the gods but what his instruments have said.”


The Prince casually put the sword against the deck and leaned upon the hilt.


“The same seer tells us nothing this path and it lead us to an area which even the oldest mariner tells no tale of. Is it possible that the gods wish Niemh for someone else?”


“Then why would they give it to you, sire? Do you suggest that they changed their mind? Or, possibly made a mistake?”


“Did not the gods give the Crystal Orb to Salém, to take it back? Did not the gods give the Orthrock to have it swallowed by the earth? Is it not possible that it was given to me to prepare it for the rightful heir?” He paused for a moment.


“But if it is rightfully mine, I do not think the gods would have it so I would lose it. What is said about Niemh is words from seers which can go astray. You ask me to choose between a sword which may lead to peace or an instrument which can free the men on these ships.”


“You are willing to give up peace of multitudes for a hand full of men?”


The sword leapt up from the deck, the point at Mael's face.


“The sword serves no good if we are to die here.”


The sword carved a silver arc through the mist as Gwefldn waved it.


“You ask me to decide between two unknowns, one immediate, one in the future. Both extremely uncertain. For a ruler, he must listen to all the advice given but it is his decision at the end. What the consequences may be. I am to be a ruler one day but now the task before me is the same.”


“Give me some time, Prince. This magick seems strong but I have not had time to work with it. As always you are letting your youth cloud your decisions.”


“So you think that you can counter magick which is not known? Do we have to wait hours or days?”


Mael glared at the Prince. “You scoff us so easily, Prince. Do you not believe in the powers of the gods?”


The seer moved away and turned to the sailors huddled around us.


“Do not worry because of your Prince. He is but young and recklessness is a sin of youth. That is why I am here on the ship. To prevent harmful folly from rashness.”


“You say I scoff easily. I do not question the gods and their ways but their instruments and their ways.”


“To question us is to question them,” Mael said softly.


The captain moved from his men to stand near the Prince.


“Perhaps the seer is correct, Prince Gwefldn. It may be best to let him try to counter the enchantment. It will also allow tempers to lower.” I could hear some sailors muttering their agreement.


“I am not a child as the seer would like to suggest. Magick or not, I must do what I believe right. Let him think I am young and reckless. I think I know a little more than he will admit. Niemh is an instrument of power but not my power. The blood of the land, the ealdorfáh is my power. Not this bauble from Eryri.”


With a sudden heave, Gwefldn threw the sword over the side of the ship. Mael let out a scream which sounded at first as fear and then triumph. It traced a silver arc as it fell to the dark waters. A green glow surrounded the sword as it sank into the depths. When it disappeared, the sailors looked about expectantly, hoping the wind would take the ship from the area. But it was not to be so. The offering of the sword did not appease who ever held the ships. Gwefldn's face grew grimmer as time went by. Fear started through the sailors like a murmur.


“What other folly do you wish to do?” Mael asked sharply.


“Be silent, man! I have no need for your prattle now!”


“Your....”


“Begone! All of you! Let me be so I can think,” Gwefldn glared at the seer. “Without the sweet words of coercion.”


No one moved.


“I said begone!”


The sailors slowly started to leave. Mael quickly followed them. I stood alone with the Prince.


“Leave me, Ceithor,” he said softly.


“But I cannot. Not with you in this state,” I said.


He smiled a grim smile at me. “I need solitude, dear friend. The seer fears this area and I do not know why. I need to be alone. Worry not, I will not do anything rash. Will you give me that?”


Reluctant as I was, I granted him his wish. I returned to the main deck to the other sailors. Fear was visible on their faces. As I came in, Mael rushed to me.


“You must help us. Great evil has befallen us.”


“What do you mean?”


“The enchantment of the area has possessed the Prince. I believe only you can prevent any further folly.”


“How can I help? I am but his servant.”


“You seem to be the only person he listens to. You must talk to him, prevent him from doing anything until I have spent time working with the enchantment.”


The captain looked at me. “We all agree, Ceithor. As the seer has shown us, no sane man would have done what Gwefldn has done. To throw away Niemh as if it were a bauble has an air of wrongness.”


“So what do you suggest? We run to the bowmaster and tie the Prince up?”


“No. Just talk with him. Get him back to his room. Then things can be controlled. Go, for us.”


Mael's head dropped and then suddenly rose to look at me, with glazed eyes. A vision was filling him.
“We must stop him. The outcome of this will be death,” he said in a low voice. “I see a stone. There is blood on the stone. The result of his folly will be blood.” The seer paused. “There is a rocky shore. There is a body but I cannot see who it is. All I can discern is a royal cipher in the water by the body.”


“Is it his cipher?” I asked.


“I cannot say. What ever he wishes to do will lead to this. He must be stopped else this will be a true vision.”


I did not agree with them but I could see what they were saying and the vision scared me. As reluctant as I was leaving Gwefldn, I was reluctant to return. I left the main deck and slowly returned to him. Gwefldn stood still by the side, straining to look into the waters. As I walked up to him, he turned to me.


“Someone must go into the depths to see what holds us.”


“Would it not be best to wait for the seer, sire?”


“Is that you talking or the seer, Ceithor?”


“Do you doubt me?”


“No but I suspect that the seer has been talking and putting fear into everyone. Did he say that perhaps I was under enchantment?”


“Yes. But perhaps you are.”


“I think not. I feel no different than before.”


“Can you be sure, sire?”


Gwefldn frowned. “No I cannot. The seer may be right but I must follow what I think is right, Ceithor. Be it right or wrong!”


I told Gwefldn about the seer's vision.


Gwefldn looked at the water. “I see no shore, thus I assume the vision is in the future, past this situation.”


“All he saw was a rocky shore. He did not know when it would occur but it would be one of the resulting actions.”


“Then my heart is somewhat gladdened by this. I will go to the sea and find what is under it.”


“But you shan't find it alone, sire.”


Gwefldn shook his head. “I cannot ask that of you. This is for me to do, since it has been decided.”


“You need not ask since I will go whether you ask or not. We do not know whether is it perilous or not down in the sea. If I am to be a proper steward, I cannot abandon you now.”


Gwefldn clapped my shoulder. “My dear, Ceithor. Would you jump into a lion's jaw for me?”


I looked at the Prince. There was a slight pause before I was about to answer.


“Don't answer. The question was stupid. I would not ask anything of you which I would not do myself. And I would not know for sure if I would jump without knowing the situation. Well, if you are willing to join me, I will not try to stop you. In many ways, I welcome the company.”


Gwefldn paused. “Well, we best start before either one of us thinks twice about the potential folly we are starting. Or as the seer would say, reckless.”


Gwefldn lifted himself over the side of the ship and jumped into the water. Quickly, I followed him. The impact of the cold water sent shivers through me. At first, when the water enveloped me, I was terrified. I held my breath as long as possible. When the searing pain in my lungs forced me to take a break, I found air. I could breath normally. And as I fell through the water, even the coldness of the water changed so it was as if I was on land.


At first, we were surrounded by pitch blackness. I could feel myself falling through the water but I could not see the Prince or where we were falling to. After some time, the black started to turn to gray. The deeper I fell, the lighter it grew about me. Gray to dark emerald to light sea green. Finally, I came down to the bottom of the sea.


Not too far away stood Gwefldn, looking about in amazement. As I walked toward him, I could see that the ground was covered in fine crushed shell. A multitude of colours could be seen, so many I cannot find words to describe.


“Well, we have survived the first leg of our journey.” Gwefldn's voice was as clear as crystal. The water about us did not seem to impede our motion or speech. The enchantment about the area was extremely powerful.


Thus we stood on this great plain of crushed shell. It stretched out as far as the eye could see. Colourful fish swam about ignoring our presence. Far in the distance, there seemed to be a vague shape of a building. As we stood amidst the wonders, a faint figure appeared in the distance. Gwefldn put his hand on my arm.


“Someone comes to welcome us. Perhaps we will now learn the purpose of all this.”


As the figure grew closer, we could see it was a fair maiden. She had long flaxen hair which flowed freely about her head. She wore a long emerald green gown, his bodice covered with light coloured shells. Her skin was cream coloured, like freshly given milk. Her neck was adorned by a simple necklace with a single stone. On her left hand was a band of silver gold. She came before us and bowed at the Prince.


“Welcome to the realm of Ysbid'nar, your highness, We have been waiting for you.”


Gwefldn looked at the woman, without saying a word. I held my tongue since Gwefldn did not speak.


“If you will follow me, I will take you to Y'nour. Your servant can wait here for your return.”


“He will come, if I decide to follow.”


The calm exterior was briefly rippled by a sense of indecision and fear. She looked at me as a man would an ant.


“He will be safe here. Our magick will surround him. We only have need for you.”


The Prince shrugged slightly. He looked at me.


“It seems that there is nothing to accomplish here. It may be best if we go back to our ship.”


“You cannot!” the woman protested. “If your servant means so much to you, then bring him with you.”


Gwefldn flashed a smile at the woman. “As long as it is not an imposition.”


The maiden looked at the Prince, a mixture of fear and anger. As she turned around, the gown swirled over the ground. Crushed shell floated about the woman. She walked away from the cloud.
How long we walked along the endless plain of crushed shell, I cannot tell. It seemed to stretch out to infinity. After time, we approached a giant tellis shell. The spirals on the shell were a vibrant wash of colours. The opening was a brilliant blue. As we walked through the entrance, I ran my hand over the shell. Unlike normal shells, it was warm and dry to the touch.


We walked from one chamber of the shell to the next. Each one a different colour, a different hue. It is hard for a simple man like myself to tell you the splendour we saw.


Eventually, the chambers expanded to a vast city of shell. In the centre of the city was a palace made of yaster shell. We entered the palace on stairs made of shell but looked like marble. The maiden lead us through the splendid palace to two doors which were at least twenty feet high. She spoke a command and the doors opened silently.


Inside was a grand hall. At one end was a throne. In it sat a fair maiden dressed in a coral pink gown. About the throne, stood five maidens wearing the same gown as our escort. She brought us to the main floor which contained a giant pentagram made of alabaster. When we reached the centre, she motioned for us to stop.


The alabaster pentagram was formed on a giant slab of turquoise, The turquoise rose seamlessly up to the throne. Our escort walked along the floor to the throne. She bowed low at the maiden sitting in the throne and then took her place with the other maidens. The woman in the throne folded her hands on her lap and looked at us intently.


“Welcome to Ysbid'nar, Prince Gwefldn.”


“I would reply, thank you, Y'nour, but I have nothing to thank you for.”


I must have stood beside Gwefldn looking shocked, for I felt so. This maiden had the power to hold our ships and let us breath under water. Yet Gwefldn talked to her as a father to an errant child.


“Now, I must insist you be done with what you want so we can go about our way.”


Y'nour looked at the Prince, then at myself.


“Do you agree with your master, servant?”


An anger grew in my breast which I regret took control. “And why should I not?” I said furiously. “You hold our ships captive and now play with us like a cat with a mouse.”


I thought Gwefldn smiled at my outburst but I could not say for sure. Y'nour motioned to one of her maidens. She moved silently behind the throne and disappeared from sight. When she returned, she was carrying a large chest. On her side, hung Niemh. She knelt before the Prince and handed him the sword.


“We have no need for your trinkets, thus I am returning them,” Y'nour said. The maiden opened the chest. Within the pearl interior laid all the gems and jewels we had thrown into the sea.


“I would like to have kept your sword, Niemh, for it holds immeasurable power, but it is not for me to carry. It is your burden. It seems you have many to carry”


“What do you mean, Y'nour?”


“Did not your seers do everything in their power to prevent you from coming to this place?”


“I see no importance to this.”


“One day you will. Power can be used many ways and you shall see that. There are many which protect their sphere of power with a passion. That is if your eyes become opened.”


“You speak in riddles. I have no need for them.”


“All I will add, oh Prince, is that we have been known, through legend by those in power. If your seers did not see fit to tell you of us, then are they dotards?”


Gwefldn gave the chest a brief glance. “What I would like to know is what do you wish from us?”


“You,” Y'nour said simply.


“What would you want from me? I am not of your realm. And you certainly would not expect me to join you here.”


“Of course not. What we wish is the seed of your loins, sire. We have waited for a long time for someone of your power and stature to allow us to become full women.”


I turned to see a shocked Prince. He stared at Y'nour, his jaw slightly slack.


“Do you find that so shocking, Prince?” Y'nour waved to maidens. They all silently walked behind the throne and disappeared.


“It was divined some time ago, that a man worthy of us would appear, allowing us to bear children to continue our existence. You are that man, Gwefldn.”


“You expect me to bed each one of you?”


“Most certainly. You are not betrothed to anyone, thus you will not be treacherous to your own bed.”


“But I would be treacherous to myself, if I agreed to this wanton wish of lust.”


“My dear Gwefldn! This is not a wanton wish of lust. We must procreate to survive. We are all getting old and our race must live on!”


“So you force us down here thus forcing me to have sex with you?”


“I would prefer not to force you if it is really against what you wish.” Y'nour smiled. “I feel that you will help us.”


“So you wish! And if I do not perform for you, you will not release myself, my steward and my ships.”


“Do you think I hold your people for ransom?”


“Why else do you hold my ships?”


“So that I can get you here. I have no need for your ships, men and your steward. I only have a need for you.”


Gwefldn looked at Y'nour, with a defiant look.


“I don't not see you as a man who forces himself into any woman,” Y'nour continued. “But I do see a man who does enjoy laying with a woman.”


“Of course, what man would not? But I will not lay with you.”


The six maidens turned, each carrying a chalice. One maiden carried two. She gave Y'nour one chalice. All the chalices were resplendent with gold, gems and shells.


The six maidens stood by the throne. Y'nour rose and walked up to the Prince. She gracefully lowered herself to her knees and bent her head. She lifted the chalice to Gwefldn.


“Please, Prince Gwefldn,” Y'nour implored. “I offer you these chalices of power if you will help us. With these chalices, you will be protected over the seven seas of our world. If you do not, you will be condemning us to death without any offspring.”


Gwefldn looked at the kneeling maiden. His eyes were starting to soften for Y'nour seemed to be pleading from the heart. Gently, Gwefldn lifted the chalice from Y'nour's hand. He placed it beside her. He placed his hands on her upper arms and lifted her from her knees. He looked into her eyes.


“If your need is that critical, then the trinkets you offer me is unnecessary. I will lay with you but I cannot guarantee that you will be with child.”


“It was foreseen that they would bear female children to stay amongst us and I will bear a male child which you must return for.”


Gwefldn sighed lightly. “Let's us start. What of my steward?”


Y'nour looked at one of the maidens. “Larna, take Ceithor to the Chamber of Yyner and make sure he is not of want for anything.”


I looked at Y'nour, for she knew my name and it had not been spoken. A might magickian she must be. It was then I feared for Gwefldn's life.


“You have nothing to fear, stout heart,” she said to me. “No harm will come to your beloved Prince. You can go into my house with a light heart.”


She waved me away. As I left the chamber, I saw Y'nour leading Gwefldn toward the throne.


How long I had to wait for the Prince, could not be measured in the palace. I was treated with dignity. Food and entertainment was provided but I did not see Gwefldn until his deed was done. He came into my room, looking well but tired.


“It is time for us to leave now. I have accomplished what Y'nour wished of me.”


Together we left my chamber and returned to the throne room. There Y'nour sat with her maidens.


“I thank you, Prince Gwefldn, for what you have given us. All I wish now is that you return before the seventh cycle to take your son. He will have no place here, under the surface. We have no need for him, thus you must take responsibility of him, before his seventh cycle.”


Gwefldn bowed at Y'nour. “As you wish. It is now time for me to leave.”


Y'nour nodded. She rose from the throne and lead us out of the city. Behind Y'nour, Larna carried Niemh and the chest. Inside the chest were the gems and jewels plus the chalices. When we returned to the great plain of crushed shell. She took her leave from us.


“You can return to your ships by swimming upwards. You will be protected by my spell until you have reached the surface.”


Y'nour smiled at Gwefldn. “Keep your sword about you, Prince. It will protect you from your enemies, seen and unseen. It possesses much power which cannot be controlled except by you. Remember my words. Watch those about you. A dark cloud has settled over Llangeinwen. You are not in control as you may think.”


“I will heed your words.”


“Do so. Good-bye.”


Y'nour disappeared into the tellis shell. Larna placed the chest and sword on the ground. She quickly followed Y'nour. The Prince put Niemh onto his side and I picked up the chest, strapping it to my back. Together, the Prince and I effortlessly swam up to the surface. When we broke the surface, cries of surprise and joy came from our ships. The veil had lifted and the ships were free to move. Gwefldn ignored the many questions from the crew.


Gwefldn had the chest placed in his room while he made preparations to continue our journey. As the ships started to move toward Nico once again, we retired to our rooms. As Gwefldn and I talked, there came a knock on the door. Mael's pale face appeared from the bowels of the ship.


“And what of your journeys to the bottom of the sea, sire?”


“Those are for myself and Ceithor. The journey would not be of interest, even to a journeyman desperate for bardic songs.”


Mael cast a staring eye at Gwefldn. “So the seven days you were gone provides nothing a bard or druid would find interested? I find that hard to believe, sire.”


So, we found out we had been gone for seven days.


“When we found the maidens which held the ship, I was given a personal quest which is of no concern to anyone else. Do you doubt me, Mael?”


“I question the irrelevance you put on your journey. If you say nothing, many tongues will wag, saying things which may not be true.”


“Quite possibly. I have a choice to make about what is to be said about this adventure. In a man's life, there are a few journeys which are too personal for song. Why cannot a man, even a king to be, have a few secrets. Much will be said about this so I must decide if I will tell the tale or not. I believe that the less that is known the better. Especially with respect to you.”


“What are you saying, sire?”


“The sweet words you drip sway many people. I do not wish this to be distorted for your gain.”


“Why is it that you distrust us so? We have done nothing to earn this vehement distrust! All I tried to do was prevent disaster from a rash action. I did not stand before you and utter words of doom!”


“Oh but you wait to do this when I am not around.”


A thin film of sweat appear on the seer's forehead. “I do not know of what you are saying.”


“Death, stones of blood. I would call that words of doom, seer.”


Mael glanced at me, his piercing eyes sharp.


“The more I see you, the more I distrust you. If you give advice, it would be expected that you would provide sound advice. Not advice formed from half-truths.”


Mael was about to say something, but Gwefldn prevented him.


“Either you did not wish me to know about Y'nour or are your powers are not as strong as you wish us to believe?”


Mael's eyes grew large.


“Begone, seer. Contemplate what I have said.”


Mael said nothing to the Prince and quickly left the room.


“Do you think that was wise, sire? The seers are most powerful and could be dangerous enemies.”


“No. They have their own designs. What they are, I do not know. They will not make an overt attempt at me. They have said many times that I will be a great king. If they attempt to stop me, then the common people may question their powers. No, they will work in the background, trying to coerce me and control me. As long as we stay vigilant, I am safe. One day, I will be able to know what the seers want from us. Then, I will deal with them.”


Thus we left the place of Ysbid'nar. We arrived at Nico without any further incident. Many more adventures came to us while we were at Nico, but they are not for me to talk about.


We returned home after two cycles. As Gwefldn predicted, the seers made no overt attack on him. Instead they seemed extremely helpful and kind to him. The Prince, in turn, listened and acted on their advice. In private, he would question their actions but never in public.


Six months after we returned, Gwefldn had a ship sent out to Ysbid'nar, to find out about his son. The ship returned with no news. They could not find the kingdom or receive any sign from Y'nour. Every six months after, Gwefldn sent out a ship, without any results.


At the beginning of the seventh cycle, Gwefldn prepared to go to Ysbid'nar himself. He did not consult the seers but went straight to the sea captain. In the main seafaring hall, he talked to the captain which would bring him back to Ysbid'nar. The nautical charts were spread over the tables. The Prince showed him the route.


“But that is not the way, sire.”


“But it is.”


“No, this is the way, from what we have been told” the captain traced out the route. The route went south of Ysbid'nar by over one hundred trels.


“That is not the route I gave you cycles ago. Who gave you this?”


The captain shrugged. “The seers. I went to see them when you requested to send ships out. They had written about the voyage and made a map. Especially since the place is so unknown. They said you had made a slight error and adjusted the route.”


“Why wasn't I informed?”


“They said that you should not be told else you would get angry because you made a mistake. That is why...”


The captain was interrupted by a loud wind from the sea. Within the wind was a wailing. We ran out from the hall to see a giant ship made of shell near the shore. At the helm stood Y'nour. Her hair streamed in the wind, her face twisted in fury.


“You were told to return, Prince Gwefldn,” she screamed over the wind. The keening of her voice sent shivers through my body.


“You told me your wish, Y'nour. I tried but I was thwarted”


“You had no intention to return. I can see that your seers have another puppet. That is plain to see. Thus I will give you your son.”


The ship came close to the rocky shore. With a swing of her arm, a young man was lifted into the arm. Magickally, he was thrown from the ship onto the rocky shore.


“I have no wish for him and so do not you. Then let your b*****d soil your land!”


The ship moved away from the shore with the speed of an eagle. As it disappeared into the receding mists, the wind died down. Gwefldn ran to the prostrate boy at the shore; with me following him. The rest of the mariners stood away, terrified of the happenings. The boy looked like his father. The most striking resemblance was his nose and chin. His long black locks of hair floated in the water, blood come from some wounds.


The Prince held the bleeding boy. Water lapped cleaning the blood from all rocks save one. Gwefldn looked at the boy, with a heavy heart. His life fluid was flowing too fast to be stopped. There was no way to save the young man.


“Let this not heavy your heart, my father. It is best this way.” He spoke in a low, fluid voice.


“Why do you say such words, boy? Death is never the best way.”


The boy looked up at his father, tears filling his eyes. “Neither is life. For I do not fit in your world nor do I fit in my mother’s. I am an outcast there and would be here. It is fitting I die on the border of both.”


The Prince look at the boy, no words could follow what his son had said. A son he did not know. As the boy looked at him, his eyes cleared of the mist.


“Lament not for me, oh father! Why do so for a son you do not know?”


“That, my son, plagues me. For three times two cycles, you have been of the world. Why must I only get to know of you at your end? Oh, what an evil omen has come to past!”


“No! Stay your tongue, else evil will become of this. I do not say to rejoice in my demise but do not mourn. Perhaps the seers did best by controlling you, as my mother said.”


His voice started to grow weak. His long wet black locks were growing matted with blood. The sea kept all but one stone washed of blood.


“I was born of water and land, thus I must die of water and land. My life will cover both.”


“But in the end, you have spent no time here on the land, with me.”


“It would not have been for any good. When I could raise myself to my feet and walk, I yearned for more than Y'nour's land. If I would be at your side, it would be the same for I am of land and sea but neither. I would always be searching for happiness which I could not have. Now in death's eternal slumber, I will find peace.”


“How can you say that when you do not know for sure?”


The young man wearily raised his hand and caressed his father's face.


“Even if you made me welcome, father, many would not. I would be feared because of the magick from Y'nour and yourself.”


Suddenly, over the water grew a small tempest. Clouds swirled about the raging water. Over the wind, I could hear words to ward off powerful enchantment.


“It may have come to a point where even you would fear me as my mother did. For when I would reach manhood, she feared I would be uncontrollable. Ask your druids. A man in control of the power of the elements of the sea and land can be a formidable enemy.” The tempest subsided.


“In the end, I will not completely leave you. Even though she would not say to me personally, I know my mother divined my death on these shores. In the divination, she saw a stone. A stone of blood which would give you great power. She scoffed at this because, she said to her maidens, stones cannot be made of blood. But now I see the powers of the world mock my mother and leave one stone in this wash.”


The boy took a breath, the raspy sound brought a shiver to me. His face was drawn and pale. His hand fell impotently to his side.


“Mark my words, sire. The stone of my blood is washed of your blood. As long as you live, my life energy will radiate from it and help guide you, if I can. Upon your death, I will be released with you and then we will be together.”


His eyes slowly closed shut and his last breath left his body. Gwefldn's head hung low. He took off his cipher and placed it on his son's tunic. Because of the cold and water, it slipped from his fingers and fell into the water. There was a glint from the sunlight and then a wave washed it away from us. The depths of sorrow was interrupted by a sharp piercing voice.


“What abomination have you wrought?” Mael dur Tardhg shrieked as he ran to the beach. “Because of your misadventure, you have brought evil to our land! You did not heed my words, now we will have to double our efforts to protect the people.”


Gwefldn rose slowly, looking at the seer with hard eyes. His hand grew tight on the hilt of Niemh.


“Stay your tongue, seer.” His voice was soft but hard. “Your efforts to protect the land will be unnecessary. I have no need for your words.”


Mael pointed at Gwefldn's son. “You let an evil seductress of the sea spoil you and spill the blood of your family on the shores of the land. The land will now be spoiled. Did you not see her evil plans?”


Niemh flashed before my eyes. The tip cut Mael under his eye. I fell to the ground in fear.


“I have had to deal with your prattling long enough. If you could not see her evil, how could I? Or is that why you prevented me from find out about my son.”


“She is evil. She wishes to extend her kingdom. With your son, she would gain power.”


“And you would lose it.”


Mael's mouth fell open. A drop of blood formed on his upper lip.


“You do not know of what you talk. You will bring ruin to us all!”


“The sweet words you say make ruin upon us anyway. If I had my son, there would be ruin. By your treachery, my son is dead, which will bring ruin. Thus ruin now is upon us and you did nothing to prevent it.


“There would be some who would say I should slay you on the spot. For questioning and accusing me. You are but an advisor but you act as if you rule. If what you say is true, your power is inferior, thus you are of no use to this kingdom. It would seem so, since you predict such dire consequences”


Niemh was brought to Mael's neck. “There have been many a seer who was put to death when his usefulness was lost.”


“They were barbarians,” Mael wailed. “You are not.”


Gwefldn smiled but it was not a true smile. “True. Perhaps is that why you do everything in your power to control me. A barbarian is much easier to control. Or a dotard.


“For many a year, you have, you all have, stood before us cloaked in your powers. You lull us to believe that we are all pegs in a cosmic gwyddbwyll game. When you divine rightly, all is well. If you are wrong, it is either due to unknown powers or us.”


Niemh swayed in front of Mael's eyes. “You use powers to scare and I wonder, to control.” Gwefldn sheathed his sword. Mael stared at him, speechless.


“I see you have a role as advisors but that is where it should end. You can provide valuable insight which many cannot tap. But you do not use this for the betterment of the land but for yourself. I pity the weak ruler who can be controlled by you. Picking at carrion flesh.”


Gwefldn knelt beside the body of his son. He ran his hand over his forehead. One stone laid by his son, glistening with blood.


“Some may be content and feel safe if their destiny is written for them. I prefer thinking that I have some control in my destiny.”


“You are distraught, sire. You don't know what you are saying. You make it sound as if there is a conspiracy.”


“No. Over time, people relinquished themselves to you. You've grown accustomed to the power. It is time to remind you of your place.”


Mael glared at Gwefldn. “Your talk is ruinous.”


“No. This has finally started to become clear. The final veil has lifted. First by Y’nour and now finally by you. Excluding revealing the limit of your power, you've shown the preoccupation of your band. Control. Using fear and ignorance is your most powerful tool but not now. I'm now breaking the cycle. Maybe I shall be the only one. Maybe you will try to stop me using all your powers but your reign will come to an end.”


“You have no say in the matter.”


“Really? You revealed yourself when you lied about where Ysbid'nar was to the mariners. You did not wish me to find Y’nour or my son. If I did, your plots would have been revealed earlier. Begone!”


Gwefldn picked up his son's body and placed it onto the dry shore. He looked at me.


“We will get the appropriate things for his burial. No one will dare touch the body.”


I carefully rose since the expected conflagration did not occur. Gwefldn returned to the shore and picked up the stone. He turned to Mael and held out the stone. Mael pulled away, as if in pain.


“What makes you so afraid? The evil? What makes all this so evil? That you're losing control?” Gwefldn threw the stone at Mael. He jumped aside, yelping.


“You will lead the land to darkness!” he shouted. The crowd at the edge, murmured nervously.


Gwefldn laughed at the seer. He picked up the stone and looked at the crowd.


“Look at the almighty seer, frightened. By a stone. He fears evil. I say he fears man. Look at him. His power does not protect him, how can he protect us?”


“Don't listen to him!” Mael implored. “The evil in the stone is controlling him.”


“These men were so quick to predict I would be a great ruler. Do you now wish to recant that?” Gwefldn stared at the seer. “What that great divination is error? Are there strong powers at work, throughout these many cycles which clouded your eyes?”


“It is the stone!” Mael screamed.


“Why are you afraid of it? Is there more than we see here?” someone in the crowd yelled.


Mael looked about the crowd, like a scared cur. The seed of doubt were being laid.


“Together, we can fight it. I am but alone.”


From the crowd came Tryffin ab Halwn. He walked up to Gwefldn.


“You are without your cabal but you are not alone,” Every one, through out the land knew Tryffin and the goodness he had. Also the dislike of seers he had was legendary.


“Today was a tragic day but I see no signs of evil. If there is evil, then let us see what the stone will do to me.” He looked at the seer. “Then we will see if the Prince is the truth or you.” Gwefldn gave him the stone. The crowd watched as nothing happened.


“As I thought. Yes, I feel the power of this stone, but I feel no evil.” He handed the stone back to the Prince.


Mael suddenly darted away from the shore. No one tried to stop him. The Prince was not surprised when we returned to the court to find he and eleven of his group had disappeared. Chaos reigned in the court. His father was furious at the loss of the head seer and the top men. That was until he learnt of their deception.


Gwefldn’s son was buried with a simple ceremony in the family graveyard. He grieved privately for a short while before coming out of seclusion. It was then he and his father started to purge the court of Mael’s Influence.


And this ends Gwefldn's first adventure outside Llangeinwen. The tale does not end here but it is not for me to tell that. One of you can retell the return of Y'nour for the stone or how Mael and his seers tried to destroy the Prince.


The end of this elegy is to remember the Prince. From his first adventure, he started to become the wise ruler he was even though many doubted him. They mistook his acting young and reckless which he could use to his advantage. Yet with the stone and his close friends, Gwefldn did become one of the greatest rulers of the land.



© 2008 Loekie


Author's Note

Loekie
These stories are still a work in progress, I am looking for everything - grammar, POV problems, plotting issues. Please note, spelling is Canadian not American so don't point the differences. Hit me with your best shot!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

“I think you are reacting a little extreme, seer.” Gwefldn answered defensively.
Maybe...
“I think you are reacting a little extreme, seer,” Gwefldn answered defensively.

Early on, I would like to have seen some of the long pieces of dialogue broken up with more action and physical description, but you do a great job of that later in the chapter. I like the characters, and the sense that storytelling is an important part of their daily lives. I also like how you keep relating the wind and other elements to your descriptions of the characters.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

524 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on February 5, 2008


Author

Loekie
Loekie

Montreal, Canada



About
Growing up, I never saw myself as a storyteller. But looking back, I see the seeds. I would build complex models with my Lego or Mecano, each with a story to tell. When I played with my Tonkas, Dinkey.. more..

Writing
Drawn Drawn

A Story by Loekie