The Plagues: An Elegy

The Plagues: An Elegy

A Chapter by Loekie
"

King Gwefldn has fallen. His people had gathered to honour a great king with a wake that lasts three days. This is one of the stories of someone touched by the King. Based on a Celtic tale.

"

As it is known to you all, King Gwefldn had a brother named Fínán, who was ten cycles younger than him. And when their father died, the kingdom of Llangeinwen fell into the hands of Gwefldn, his eldest son and it was ruled by him wisely and prosperously.


Together with Fínán and his other brothers, King Gwefldn wished to restore splendour to Dún Suíbhné. He restored the walls and surrounded it with countless towers. And then he ordered the citizens to build houses in it, so that should be no houses in the kingdom so grand as those that were there. So it was Dún Suíbhné rose again in grandeur and splendour, a shining jewel in all of the Alumin Islands.


Peoples from near and from far, came to see the new jewel and to see the new king. For he was a good fighter and gave food and drink generously, and freely to all that asked for them. Until the knife came to the meat, the gates of Dún Suíbhné were always open to all. And though he had many cities and forts, Gwefldn loved this one more than any, and he lived in it the greater part of a cycle.


As it is known to all, Gwefldn loved Fínán most of all his brothers, since he was a wise and careful man. It was during his third cycle as regent, the king of Rós died without leaving an heir to himself save one daughter and had left the kingdom in her hands. I was but a young slip in the court, a lowly runner for the court.


Because of his wisdom, Fínán came to his brother to ask advice and help. I was there delivering a message from Caer Eryri. He came upon Gwefldn in the throne room, Taliesin sitting at his side, shrouded in thought.


“Brother, love of all my loves, I come to you for advice,” he said to the seated King.


“Brother, greatest of my loves, you need not ask for I can read you heart.” I was about to leave yet the King motioned to a small chair. “Stay, Ioruath. I wish you to witness this, for my brother has come to me with an idea that will benefit all of us.”


I stood for a moment, stunned. Excluding he knew my name, he wished me to stay. Quietly I made my way to the chair.


Fínán flashed a bright smile. “I do not ask this to further myself.”


“And you never would, dear brother.”


“Rather, I seek to add honour and dignity and rank to our house. For once before, was not one of us offered to be part of the House Díurán?”


“Yes,” the King shook his head, sadly. “But Fríge yr Íde was taken from us. The Fates had not deemed it right.”


“Mayhap the Fates will smile upon us now.”


“I can see your heart, my brother. If she were to accept your extended hand, it would bring honour to us. It would strengthen allegiances, bring us dignity and rank. Yes, dear heart, I say you should extend your hand to Sadhbh. I think well of your plan.” The King paused. “But she will have many suitors.”


Fínán bowed his head slightly to the King. “But if my brother were to journey with me to Rós and sued for her hand for me, she and her nobles will see the wisdom of the matter.”


The King laughed. “Did you come to seek advice and help for a matter already planned and ready to execute?”


“I did,” Fínán grinned. “For you may have said no and then I would have needed it.”


“You are a scamp and a rogue. Now be off with you and I will consult over this matter.”


“Let it be so,” Fínán graciously bowed before the King and left the throne room.


The King sighed and looked to his advisor. “And what do you think of my brother’s wish?”


“I see very little wrong with his plan. Even though Rós is not strong with military might, it would give you new allegiances in the area.” Taliesin paused. “But it will not reunite the Houses.”


“One can always hope.”


“It has been a hope for the island for over a 500 cycles ago, Sire. I do not dismiss it but there have been others who have tried and failed.”


“Yes,” King Gwefldn sighed. “But we now have an opportunity that we should seize and see to fruition.”


“True.” Taliesin’s bushy eyebrows bristled. “I recommend a good sized coterie, to show your interest.”


“But will not some of the nobles see that as an act of aggression? An act of power?”


“I said good sized, Sire, not your entire fleet.” Taliesin paused. “And I will send word ahead. This is an occasion where one uses strength for pomp and circumstance.”


“Let it be so.”


The King looked to me. There was a mischievous sparkle in his eye. “And now, Ioruath. Would you like to see Rós?”


“Would I?” Excitement exploded in me. I had never been out of the capital but I wanted to see the world.


The King smiled at his druid and nodded. “I think we have a replacement.”


You may remember, Taliesin but I must looked like a complete fool staring at both of you. I had no idea what the King was speaking of. When he saw my face, the King laughed heartily.


“I have a need for a page. My last one was stolen by Taliesin here and I sorely need a new page.”


“Sire, I didn’t not steal him.” The old druid responded in a low voice.


“Ignore him. He is getting a little sour with age. Do you feel up to the task?”


I cannot proper express what I felt at that moment. I was excited, honoured and afraid. I was but a lowly runner whose mother worked in the kitchens and father was a blacksmith. To become a page would give me a position, provide me an education. I gave it no thought and blurted out my acceptance. But I digress.


And so it was the King ordered ten of his best tall masted ships be prepared for the voyage. And on the head ship, King Gwefldn stood with his brother and his circle of men, including Ceithor and Bilewit. I was part of his entourage. With great fanfare, the ships were launched, each one filled with armed knights, gleaming in their mail and proud horses stomping in their stalls.


The winds were light and favourable for the fleet of ships. And as they approached Rós, a single ship came forth to greet them. The King hoisted a white flag of peace and the Suíbhné standard and the ship from Rós responded in kind. And thus the lead ship with the King and his brother moved from the fleet to greet the ship from Rós. They parlayed briefly, for the noble on the ship knew of Fínán’s errand. The noble guided the fleet to a small cove in the north, where on a great plain the suitors had gathered.


There, pavilions were raised and men were prepare for there would be great sports and games to show the skills of Fínán and his men. And not too far, in covered stands, sat Sadhbh. In the bright sunlight, her tressed auburn hair glowed like the changing leaves of autumn. Her skin was the white of fresh milk and her eyes the blue of the deep ocean. And when Fínán gazed upon her, one could see love swelling in his heart. But Sadhbh did not catch sight of Fínán, until the sports and games started and all she saw was a splendid warrior with mail and a visored helm.


As the custom is, the great bards from each kingdom walked about, speaking great tales of their suitor for one and all to hear. There was jousting, sword fights, horsemanship, racing and wrestling, in which Fínán was always victorious. King Gwefldn watched proud and glad for Fínán, competing with his heart and mind so he would always be victorious.


And so it was, Fínán was the victor and presented to the Queen. It was only when he bowed and removed his helm, Sadhbh looked up his gentle, wise face. It was for all to see that love welled in her heart. So by joint agreement of the nobles of Rós and its princes, Sadhbh was given to Fínán and the crown of the kingdom with her. And after that he ruled the realm, with Sadhbh, carefully and wisely and with good fortune, as long as his life lasted.


Peace ensued for a space of time, and the lands of Gwefldn and Fínán proposed. The friendship and love of the brothers never faltered with the distance and they would often meet for advice and help.
For me, my duties at times were overwhelming. And the demands of my education seemed too much. Yet when despair would grip me, the King would pull me aside to talk to me. His little talks gave me strength to persevere through the difficult times.


But as the Fates would deem it, peace would only be temporary. Seven cycles after Fínán was wed and Taliesin had left Llangeinwen, three plagues fell on the island.


The first of them was a people which came which was called the Coran. One tall-masted ship had come and the Coran sued for the right to land. They were a displaced people looking for a land to live. So great was their magick and lore, they offered the King many things for a small place in the mountains. Entranced by the offerings, the King gave them some caves in Sliabh Luachra. But like locust, the Coran moved about taking more and more land for themselves. So great was their lore and magick that there was no talk over the island, however low it may be, which the Coran would not know, for they could hear the words if the wind or even the gentlest breeze met it. And for that reason, no harm could be done to the Coran.


The second plague which was a scream given on Ceitean eve over every hearth in the island of Llangeinwen. And this would go through the hearts of people and terrify them. So that the men lost their colour and their strength. And many women miscarried. And boys and girls lost their minds for a short time, and all the animals and the trees and the earth and the water became withered with the sound of the scream.


The third plague was, that however great were the provisions and stocks that were laid ready in the court of the King, though it might be stocks of food and drink for a cycle, nothing of it was ever found except what had been used up on the first night alone, before everyone fell asleep.


As for the last two plagues, there was no one who knew the cause of them, for Taliesin was not about. There was more hope of getting rid of the first than there was of the second or third. And so King Gwefldn fell into great thought and trouble, for he did not know how he should get rid of the plagues. So he called to him all the nobles and advisors of his domain and asked their advice, what they should do in the face of these plagues.


But the counselling had to be done in secret and without spoken word, for they wished no word to be sent to the Coran. So all council was done on parchment which was destroyed lest anyone read them. And the advice and counsel by common agreement was that the King should seek out his brother, Fínán, for he was a wise man and of good council, to seek advice of him.


And then they got ready a fleet, done secretly and silently, for fear that the Coran should come to know the purpose of the expedition, or anyone save the King and his counsellors. When they were ready, they went into their fleet, King Gwefldn and those he had chosen with him, and began to plough the seas toward Rós.


But when the news of his brother’s fleet came to King Fínán, since he did not know the reason for this brother’s mission, took council with his nobles and advisors. Many feared his brother wished to bring aggression to Rós but Fínán knew his brother’s heart. Even though he was wise and cautious, Fínán came forth to greet his brother, and with him a fleet of great size.


When Gwefldn saw that, his heart did not grow heavy, for he knew his brother’s heart. He left all his ships out on the high seas, save one ship, and in that he came to meet his brother under the white flag of peace and the Suíbhné standard. Fínán, for his part, came to meet his brother in another single ship. And when they came together, either of them embraced the other, and each welcomed the other with brotherly love. So it was Gwefldn, with Ceithor, Bilewit, a page and his druid, Laegh, they went to Fínán’s stateroom.


For he did not wish to speak of his mission, because of the wind, he placed a parchment in his brother’s hand of the mission which brought him to Fínán. With serious intent he read and understood his brother’s need. He turned to his cabin steward and ordered a long metal horn be brought to his stateroom. And through the horn, he and his brother would be able to talk without the wind catching their words. But when the horn was found and they spoke to each other, whatever words either of them would say to the other through the horn, nothing reached either of them but hateful, hostile words.


This brought great vexation to the brothers and heavy hearts. But the love of his brother let Fínán pierce the veils of the hateful words. He stopped and ordered goblets of wine to be brought for all in the room.


“Why do you speak such?” Gwefldn asked angrily.


“Let us pause for a moment before continuing,” Fínán answered simply.


“Libation will not sooth the words you spoke to me, brother.”


“Dear heart, patience. Some wine will sooth your anger and words.”


And when the goblets arrived, King Fínán had them placed on his desk. Unbeknownst to all but one, the King placed some power in one of the goblets. Graciously, he gave each in the room a goblet, saving the specially prepared one to Laegh. After a toast, all drank of the wine.


“And now we will know of the devil that is thwarting us and making mischief through the horn.”


King Gwefldn stared at his brother. “What do you speak of?”


“Patience, dear heart. Patience.”


As those assembled waited, the druid grew sleepy. With each yawn, King Fínán grew more and more attentive for he and one other knew of his plan. And once the sleeping draught took hold, King Fínán took hold of the horn. King Gwefldn did not take hold of the horn.


“Trust the virtue of my wine. And my heart. I have driven the devil that bewitched this horn out.”


And when King Gwefldn took hold of the horn, he heard the crystal tones of his brother through it, without hate and hostility. And his heart was glad.


“And now we may talk unhindered,” Fínán said simply.


“I should have known, with my heart, you would not have said what my ears had heard.”


“Worry not, for the devil is asleep and vanquished. We must talk of what has befallen your land.”


“You know of the plagues?” Gwefldn was astonished.


“I do. For I and my councillors heard word of the plagues and grew afraid.”


“Afraid?”


“That the same may befall us on Rós. So we did much research to what should be done.”


“You know of how to release the lands of the plagues?”


“I believe I do.”


Gwefldn smiled and his heart was lightened. “And will you help me?”


“Of course, brother of all brothers. For the first plague, I will give you certain insects ...”


“You have them with you!” Gwefldn interrupted, excited. “What foresight you have!”


Fínán chuckled. “I may be wise but my foresight is not so strong. I do not have them at the moment but I will send one of my ships to retrieve you some.


“Now, I say unto you, take these insects and keep some alive to breed, for I fear a plague of this sort might happen to come a second time.”


“It will be done.”


“And you shall take the others of the insects and grind them up and distil them in water. This is a poison to the Coran.”


“I will make sure they drink it.”


“But you must be rid of the Coran, at once and quickly. I say unto you, summon all the folk of your kingdoms together in certain areas. Do so as if you mean to make peace between you and the Coran. And when all and one are gathered, have all drink of this water.”


“But I cannot harm my own people!”


“Rest assured, my brother, this magick water will poison the people of the Coran but will not harm anyone of your own people.”


“I trust your wisdom and care.”


Fínán’s eyes flashed in amusement. “As I do yours. But the making of the magick water must be done by you yourself.”


“I understand.” the King’s eyes darted to the sleeping druid.


“The second plague,” Fínán continued, “which is in your kingdom is because of two young dragons. One has lived in Llangeinwen for cycles, unassailed. Yet another has come and is fighting with it and trying to overcome the original dragon. And for that your dragon gives out a terrible scream.”


“I knew naught of this dragon.”


“It was in this way you may come to know the truth.”


“What way?”


“The scream.”


“How am I to save it? Stop this foreign dragon?”


“After you go home, have the island measured, both in its length and in its breadth, and there you will find the very middle point to be.”


“But, brother of my heart, we know the middle point. For it is the Meeting Place, or The Place of the Dead, to some.”


Fínán chuckled. “That was built during the time of Suíbhné. Our science has improved and you will find the middle is not the Meeting Place but some distance from it.”


“I will defer to your wisdom.”


“When you find the middle, have a large pit dug there; and then have a large bronze tub set into it. And this tub is to be filled with the best mead that can be made. Once it is full, have on the face of the tub placed a cloth of brocaded silk.


“And then keep watch, you yourself. On Ceitean eve, as the sun sets, you will see the two dragons rise into the air. You will see the dragons fighting in terrible shapes, creatures because of their magick. When, last of all, they have grown tired with the fierce and dreadful struggle, they will drop as smaller shapes of their former selves, reduced from the struggle, onto the cloth and will drag it to the bottom of the tub. There they will drink up all the mead, thus falling asleep after that. Once they are asleep, fold the cloth around the foreign dragon in a stone chest.”


“How am I to discern this?” Gwefldn protested. “Let alone lift the dragon into the chest?"


“Trust in your Stone. It will give you the strength and courage. Your son will help.”


“It will be done.”


“You are to bury the stone chest, cover it with earth, in whatever place you may find to be the most secure in your kingdom. And as long as it is in a secure place, no natural plague should come to the island of Llangeinwen from any other place.” Fínán paused for a moment.


“The cause of the third plague,” he continued, “is a mighty, magickal man who carries off your food and drink and provision. And through his enchantments and magick, he makes everyone fall asleep. Therefore, you must watch your feasts and your stocks, you yourself. And for the fear his sleep should overcome you, let there be a tub full of cold water at your hand, and when sleep is overwhelming you, get into the tub. Thus you will be able to confront and banish the third plague from your land.”


And so it was King Gwefldn took his brother’s sage advice. King Fínán sent his fastest ship to collect the insects and after a few days, it returned. With the insects safely secured, Gwefldn bid his brother farewell, and returned to his own land.


I can see by the look in some of your eyes you are asking how did I know of the conversation, a private discussion between the two brothers. It was after the King gathered me to write down what had happened for prosperity. And he asked me to speak to no one of this until after his death. So only now I can reveal this information. Yet once again I digress.


Alone, deep in the castle, the King ground some of the insects, saving some as his brother had advised them. With powder in hand, the King prepared several vats of water. Once the magick water was fashioned, King Gwefldn had word set for all his peoples to meet in different areas for celebrations.


As the barrels of magick water where shipped to the celebration grounds, King Gwefldn sued peace with the Coran. He invited the leader of the clann, Karal, to come with his people to the court. Karal, responded positively to the King’s request.


So the Coran came to the main court, one and all, for none knew of the King’s plan for they had not hear of any plot and plan against them. Karal with a haughty stride, came into Dún Suíbhné with his people. He climbed up the stairs, to stand beside the King on his stands, as if they were equals.


“If peace is what you wish, so you will have it,” Karal said patronizingly. “We will discuss the lands you will give after the celebrations.”


“So be it,” the King said simply.


Karal picked up a goblet of water. He stared at it, disdainfully. “You serve us mere water?”


“It is the first drink,” the King said cautiously. “Once the celebrations start, I will provide the ale and mead.”


“You have better.” He was about to drink of the water when the King stopped him.


“Please wait. We must first give a toast to our new relationship.” The King raised the goblet. All his people raised theirs. The Coran looked to Karal.


“If that is what you wish,” Karal raised his goblet. His people raised theirs.


“To peace for the island.” Gwefldn said loudly. His people responded.


“Fine.” And then, one and all imbibed in the magickal water. The goblet fell out of Karal’s hand as the poison took hold. His eyes bulged out in anger and fear. All of the Coran felt the poison coursing in their bodies. But before they could do anything, they collapsed. In this way, the King destroyed the whole clann of the Coran at once, without harming any of his people.


And some time after that, Gwefldn had the island measured, both in its length and in its breadth and found the middle point of his land to be a small grove some distance from the Meeting Place. And there he had the earth dug up, forming a large pit. He sent word out across the land for the best mead that could be made. Barrels were brought and a large bronze tub was set in the pit and filled. Once the tub was filled with mead, over the face of the tub, he had placed a large cloth of brocaded silk.


Before the sun set on Ceitean eve, the King set watch over the pit, wearing the Stone of Blood. He himself kept watch, waiting for the dragons appear, with myself at his side. As the last rays twinkled over the horizon, we heard the sound of a great wind, filling the grove. His hair flew about his head chaotically as debris from the ground swirled frantically about the grove. With guarded eyes, the King glanced at the silk cloth, straining against the face of the tub, but not flying away. I pulled back in fear. The King reached out and took hold of my forearm.


“Peace,” was all he said.


The rushing winds came together to slowly form two silvery creatures floating in the air. There were shapes of creatures we could not identify. The shapes constantly changed, flowing like quicksilver. The creatures moved about, attacking each other. One moment the forms were definite and liquid.
The fight was fierce, we trembled watching the savage display. I have no idea how long the battle took, be it just an hour or six. Yet in time, they started to grow weary. Their shapes became more like dragons. As exhaustion slowed the battle, they fell onto the brocaded silk cloth. What once looked fearsome became two small dragons, one silver and the other gold.


Their weight caused the cloth to shift and the weary dragons were dragged into the tub. As they sank into the mead, their long mouths opened to drink of the sweet nectar. There was a soft sigh and belch from each of the dragons when the mead was completely consumed. But no scream was heard across the land.


Patiently the King waited for the dragons to fall asleep. Once we knew for sure they were asleep, Gwefldn went to the cloth. Yet he did not know which of the dragons to fold in the cloth. A memory came to me and I blurted to the King to trust his stone. He looked at me for a moment and nodded his appreciation.


I could see him focusing on the Stone. How it told him, I do not know but gently the King pulled the silver dragon from the tub. Once his dragon was put aside, he continued what his brother had told him.


Gwefldn folded the cloth the gold dragon. But try as he might, he could not lift the dragon from the bronze tub in the pit. I came up beside him. His eyes were closed. A faint glow came from the Stone. I could see he was drawing on its magick and the King and his son were able to lift the dragon from the pit into the stone chest.


The chest has been placed on a large wooden waggon. Carefully the chest was transported down to Caer Eryri. The King and I rode with the waggon for the entire trip and once they reached the Caer, he made plans with the chieftain. It was agreed that the chest would be buried deep in the Caer, away from the main areas of the mountain.


The chieftain lead us down the corridors heavily covered in dust. And in a small stone-hewed room, near the roots of the mountain, the King had a hole dug. In it he place the stone into it, covering it with earth. And so ceased the tempestuous scream which had caused so much turmoil in his kingdom.


Once that was done, King Gwefldn had a feast provided of great size. His advisors warned him of the third plague and the King laughed. So it was a feast of enormous size he planned, and when it was ready, he had a tub of cold water set at his side, which made some laugh. Yet I know of his plans but said naught.


“Does he think bathing will stop the third plague?” One courtier asked, with a sneer on his face.


“And what if it does?” The King had been behind the courtier. “Have I not rid Llangeinwen of the first two plagues?”


“Yes ... yes ...” The courtier stuttered. “I meant no disrespect.”


The King eyed the man. “Yes you did.” He walked away and returned to his throne. As he sat down, he looked at me.


“Go, Ioruath and enjoy the feast.”


“I like you, will wait and stand watch on the feast.”


“It is I, myself, who must do so.” He tapped the breast plate of his armour. “And I am prepared for all.”


And it is true, he was prepared. He sat regally on his throne, dressed in light battle armour. His sword was at his right and his page to his left. For no matter what he said, this young eighteen cycle old page would not leave the King’s side.


The feast was grand. There was entertainments and songs of every kind. By the end of the first watch, some of the feast had left and a few had fallen asleep in darkened corners. But the King showed no sign of drowsiness. The feast continued.


During the second watch, more of his subjects succumbed to sleep. A heavy drowsiness started to descend on the King. As it did, he rose and went into the tub of cold water. Those that were awake stared in wonder at the sight. The King, with me by his side, kept watch as the feast continued through the second watch.


It was during the third watch of the night another wave of drowsiness fell upon the King. Struggling and stumbling, the King tried to reach the tub for fear that his purpose should be thwarted and he would be overcome by sleep. He would not have been able to enter the tub were it not for me, who was growing drowsy. The back wash from the King falling into the tub splashed up, drenching me. As the wet King rose from the tub, seeing me, he started to laugh. I, now refreshed, seeing my state, began to laugh also.


“We make quite a pair,” the King said as he lifted himself out of the tub.


“And what do we wait for?” I asked.


“A man of magick that is bewitching us to sleep. Once all have fallen asleep, he will enter, to take all my food and drink and provisions.”


“But if you stay awake, Sire, will he not stay away?”


The King sat back in this throne, pondering. “You are right. You and I are now the only ones awake. He will not enter and I will not be rid of the plague.”


“What are we to do?” I asked softly.


The King thought for a moment. “It would seem we should be asleep, shouldn’t we?”


“But Sire ...”


The King smiled at me, a twinkle in his eyes. His voice dropped. “We do not have to fall asleep. Just feign it.”


I smiled back. “I see.”


So with a plan, we settled in their places. In a short period of time, I started to yawn. A faint look of drowsiness came to my face. Slowly I slumped to the floor, feigning sleep. In a short time after, the King let his head loll to his left and his lids grew heavy. Silence was heavy in the room save the soft snores of the people. A light snore came from the King.


The King and I did not have to wait long to at last see a man of enormous size dressed in strong, heavy armour come into the room. In his left hand was a ordinary wicker hamper. And as his custom had been, he moved about the room, putting all the provisions and the stocks of food and drink into the hamper.


The King and I watched through slitted eyes, having not seem anything so strange as an ordinary hamper having enough room for such. As the man was finished and was to set off with the stolen goods, the King stirred. The man stopped, frozen. The King opened his eyes, staring at the man as the I rose.


“Stop!” The King cried at the man.


The man’s hand fell to his side, by the hilt of his sword. “Why?”


“You have caused many injuries and losses, before now, and you shall do so no more.”


“Injury? Loss?” The man laughed. “You have not for want. You shan’t miss this.”


Gwefldn rose from his throne. “Now you do me personal injury! My gate is always open for all until knife meets the meat.”


“Your hospitality is well renowned but I have many to feed. You would not let all through your gate.”
“All you have to do is ask.”


“It is not our way to ask for pity. If fight it must be, then it will be for I will not release my hamper.”


“So be it. Though you have cause me injury and loss, if your prowess proves you to be stronger and braver than I, you shall keep the hamper.”


“Easy words for one so lightly clad.”


King Gwefldn reached down and picked up his sword. And at once, the man set the hamper on the floor and waited the King’s coming. I stood aside, knowing my place in this battle.


As the King advanced, the man’s sword sprung to his hands. And a violent struggle ensued between them, until fiery sparks flew from their weapons. All those in the court were not awakened by the sounds of the swords meeting in furious battle.


Thrusts and parries blurred about the air as the King and the man moved about the tables. The two danced slowly toward the dais where I watched helplessly. But as the King countered a thrust, the back of his heel hit the step of the dais. He stumbled, losing his grip on his sword. The sword fell impotently onto the dais. But as the man shifted to deliver his fatal blow, I dashed forth, picking up the King’s sword.


The man’s sword hit the King’s sword broadly, vibrating in my hand. I could barely hold the sword from such a crushing blow. It fell from my hand. Yet the few seconds gave the King the chance to grapple the enormous man. Be it chance or fate, as the King grappled the man, he lost his grip of his sword. It fell to the ground.


Be it the King’s prowess or the man’s heavy armour, the King was able to throw his oppressor to the ground and the man was overcome. And once the man was overcome, by force and violence, he sued for a quarter of what was in the hamper. The King was stunned and astonished by the request.


“How should I give you quarter, after all the losses and injuries you have caused me?”


“I did not do so for myself but for my people.”


The King stared intently at the man. “What has brought you to being a mere thief in the night?”


“I am from a small island off the coast of Porffordd. When you exiled many of your druids, some came to our lands and claimed it theirs. All provisions, stocks, food and drink are given unto them to give to those who are of need. A need they decide. I have many in my clann but I cannot provide for them, for the druids will not allow me. They are what drove me to be a thief.


“But you have shown me you are a better man. All the losses and injury I have ever caused you, I will restore the same to you as good as I took. And I will not do the like from this time on, and I will be a faithful man to you hence forwards.”


The King extended his hand to the man. “I will accept you and your clann. I will grant you the quarter for this one time.”


The man stared at the King in awe. “After all I have done?”


“Feed your clann and be prepared for I will come to claim your allegiance.”


“You will?”


“I will come with my men to give you freedom. I will come to remove the shackles those demons have placed upon you and your people. I will come to free you from being a thief in the night for those you love.”


And so it was the King accepted Conle and made good his promise. But that is another tale. And so it was King Gwefldn rid the island of Llangeinwen of the three plagues and allowed a simple page, I, to see wisdom and care. For as I stood on the dais, I had expected the King to ask for his sword to finish the man but he did not. Whereas I would have slain the man on the floor, the King gave mercy. A lesson I have never forgotten. And thus ends my elegy.



© 2008 Loekie


Author's Note

Loekie
These stories are still a work in progress, I am looking for everything - grammar, POV problems, plotting issues. Please note, spelling is Canadian not American so don't point the differences. Hit me with your best shot!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
I'm sorry that no-one has reviewed this, I really am. And I hope that you had more luck elsewhere. However, it is simply impossible for people to read all of this text and review it easily. On another site I use, there is a very clear warning to only post 3,000 words max. Can anyone really sit at a screen to read and digest this much writing? I've done a wordcount and this is over 18,000 words!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

368 Views
1 Review
Added on February 5, 2008


Author

Loekie
Loekie

Montreal, Canada



About
Growing up, I never saw myself as a storyteller. But looking back, I see the seeds. I would build complex models with my Lego or Mecano, each with a story to tell. When I played with my Tonkas, Dinkey.. more..

Writing
Drawn Drawn

A Story by Loekie