DL - Nest of Vipers

DL - Nest of Vipers

A Chapter by Loekie
"

Tenth chapter of the initial section of A House Fractured entitled Darkness Looming.

"
�What?� The sound of loud rapping startled her. Li bolted up in her bed. There was another thump at the door. �I�m coming!�

She groaned as she rose. From the rays of the sun, Li estimated she had slept for at least twelve hours. Yet she did not feel rested. Her leg still ached. There was another rap at the door.

�I said I am coming!� Li snapped.

She flung the door open to see a short man. He wore the crimson robe of a runner from the Reachtas, a middle aged man, slightly shorter than her. His black hair was perfectly coiffed, his skin pale. A faint of arrogance glinted in his eyes.

�What do you want?� she asked gruffly.

�I am here for Representative Teyrnon. He has scheduled a meeting with you in an hour.�

�Who?�

�Representative Gwallgoig ap Teyrnon.� Li bristled at the arrogance and disdain in his voice. �You are to meet him in an hour, in his office.�

�What?�

�You were not here earlier to receive the message. So it is now delivered.�

�And received.� Li answered, flippantly. �Yet there is a slight problem. I am busy so I must respectfully decline the offer.�

�Pardon?� The runner looked puzzled.

�Right now, I am quite engaged. I have my tasks to attend to. So I will not ...�

�You have no court assigned duties,� the runner interrupted. The indolent tone angered Li.

�My duties are not of your concern or his.�

�Representative Teyrnon has scheduled a meeting. You have no choice, miss. He expects you in an hour.�

Li ran a finger over the corner of her mouth. As she tried to discern how to respond, some memories of discussions at the Boar came to her. Buino�s voice gave her the strength she needed.

�Expects? A servant of the people?� Li pursed her lips. �I don�t think so.�

�Excuse me. You are being summoned by a representative of the Reachtas. It is your duty to respect that summons.� His voice grew cold.

�Oh really? I answer but to one person. The King.�

�And the Reachtas!� the runner snapped.

�Since when have they had the power to demand a summons? Even the court follows protocol when summoning a person. As a citizen, I am not subject to the Reachtas. They represent me. If your representative wishes to see me, he can at least respect etiquette.�

Li could see fury building in the runner�s eyes. He did not know what to say.

�I will be free around the zenith. He can meet me in the Common Room.� Li paused. �If this is inconvenient, you can then return with his schedule and find a time that is mutually agreeable.�

The runner started to sputter at the suggestion. Li smiled, closing the door. She was relieved to hear the man scurry away. She remembered A�fe�s warning about the court intrigue. Now I have little choice for the next little while. I�ll treat them like they treat me.

Li took a deep breath. She had to focus on her immediate task. She decided to forgo a bath and breaking fast in the Common Room. She pulled out a small kettle, placing it on her tiny cook top. She brewed some tea and ate some fruit before focusing on the room.

Decisions had to be made on what would be kept for storage, what was to be thrown away and what could be kept. Quickly she moved about the room.

The hours sped. Personal things from Skena and Rhiannon she put aside to bring with her. Everything she brought from home were for storage. The many trinkets she had accumulated over the past couple of cycles Li felt no attachment to were set for donation.

During her culling, Li came upon a small fidchell board Buino had given her. The ivory board laid heavy in her hands. One part of her wanted to put it in the trash while another wanted to keep it. She turned the board about, shaking the pegs stored inside the board.

The workmanship was exquisite. The ivory glimmered in the sunlight. Even though it came from Buino, it is a good board. If I have to, it would fetch me some coins. Maybe I can find someone in Tuaim Inbhir who can really teach me the game. She placed the board on her pile to keep.

By the zenith, Li was pleased by the progress she had made. Most of her items were sorted. Preparations moved better than expected. Maybe I will have some time for myself before I leave. Li chuckled. That is if things don�t get more complicated.

Her stomach grumbled. It was time for food. I wonder if this Teyrnon is going to show up?There�s no way a representative from the illustrious Reachtas would lower themselves to the Common Room.

Many of the items she did not want to keep she placed into two large linen bags. They would go to the goodwill bin to be given to people who could use them, especially the clothing. With heavy bags, she headed out of her room.

Li was oblivious to the bustle in the hallways and occasional glances. She was used to it. The linen bags were placed by the bright aquamarine goodwill bin. Quickly she continued to the Common Room. As she walked through the large open doors, she saw Skena and Rhiannon sitting at a table. With a wave of acknowledgement, Li made her way to the counter.

Four of the five recessed metal pots were covered. There is a choice today. With a cooking mitt, she checked the pots. The first had a robust mutton stew; the second had chunks of chicken in an orange sauce. The third was filled with marinated vegetables while the fourth had wild boar in a thick brown sauce. A quick stir revealed large mushrooms.

Now that is easy! She heaped a large portion of the boar and mushrooms onto a plate. From a long warming pan she scooped a generous serving of roasted potatoes. The pans with vegetables were ignored. Skena�s eyes narrowed as Li came up to the table.

�You don�t have any greens again.�

She sat down, ignoring the scolding. �I am not a rabbit.�

�There is some excellent broccoli in a nice cream sauce.�

�More for you. Top of the day, Rhiannon.�

A broad smile came to her face. Her long blonde hair was pulled back into a bun.

�You know you were the talk of the shift start.�

�I was?� Li dove into the boar.

�Is it true you brought some beggar in to be under the court�s protection?�

�No!� Li snapped. �He is someone who is having a hard time.�

�A cadger.� Skena joked.

Li gritted her teeth. Looking at her friends, she realized there was nothing she could say; they would not understand.

�So what did you hear?�

�The security office was in an uproar.� Rhiannon continued. �Ochall was called in. He was furious at being summoned by A�fe. I heard he calmed down once he heard the tale from the person you brought here.�

�R�n�n.�

�Whatever.�

�And?� The boar was delicious and the mushrooms were just the right tenderness.

�Garmna told me Ochall summoned most of his officers. Some were sent to the cathedral while others were sent all about D�n Su�bhn�. I heard they arrested over ten people.�

She fought the urge to cheer. �Why?�

Rhiannon shrugged. �The word is that they were planning to attach the cathedral. Something about some families that have sought sanctuary there. It seems Ochall was quite proud of himself. Especially when the King summoned him this morning.�

Of course he would get the accolades and I�m but an after thought. Li sighed.

�But he was not too happy when he left, from what I hear.� Skena added. Rhiannon looked at her surprised.

�What did you hear?�

�Caibell told me that A�fe was there, with the King when Ochall came.� Skena looked to Li. �It was she that brought you up when the Minister did not.�

Li groaned. Why did she have to do that? I don�t need more enemies.


�Fegs! Look at that!� She looked at Rhiannon who was staring at the main entrance. There stood a tall, lanky man, resplendent in silk. From the cut of his cobalt shirt and charcoal pants, Li knew he was not one of the servants.

His body language caught her attention; he was not at ease. His narrow dark eyes darted about the room. His pedicured left hand nervously moved in motion as his fingertips rubbed each other. His thin eyebrows gave his face an effeminate look. It did not look natural to her.

A giggle grew in Li. She could sense his disdain as he looked about the room. When his eyes met hers, Li saw a flash of anger and disgust. Oh, this is going to be interesting.

�Ah, that must be Representative Teyrnon,� she commented.

Rhiannon and Skena stared at her, agog.

�He is here to see me.�

Before they could answer, the man came up to the table. �Li yr Swian?�

�Yes.� She speared a piece of boar.

�Up front, I wish you to know that I will be lodging an official sanction about you. I will expect an apology.�

�Really?� Li found she was not impressed by the potatoes. They were surprisingly bland. The kitchen had been stingy on the spices and herbs. She ignored the shocked looks from her friends.

�As a duly elected member of the Reachtas, you cannot reject a summons for a meeting.�

Li pierced a mushroom. She held it above her plate as she looked at Teyrnon. The past few days gave her strength to deal with the officious attitude before her. And as of the morrow, I will be away from here.

�Be it the court or the Reachtas, there is protocol, is there not?� Li said slowly. �Save the King, no one on Llangeinwen has the right to demand a meeting from what I remember. You can request a meeting, but not demand it.�

Teyrnon glared at her. She could see he did not know what to say. There are times in fidchell you have to be audacious. Buino�s voice filled her mind. The game is not just strategy but surprise. Your opponent is trying to predict what you are going to do. If you do something they do not expect, it upsets their plans, their strategy.

�Your empty threats mean naught to me.� She paused. �You could learn from the House Cadwr. They, at least, requested my presence, if it fit my plans.�

�You think you are safe behind the robe of the King?� Teyrnon hissed in a low voice.

Li speared another piece of boar. �I do recommend the boar. It is quite succulent. But I don�t recommend the potatoes. Quite bland, I feel.�

She pointed the pierced game toward Skena. �My friend does recommend the broccoli. You do need to have some greens in your diet.�

Before Teyrnon could respond, Li stared directly into his eyes. �If you wish to speak with me, you will follow the proper etiquette and protocol. You will respect my status of a citizen here. Someone you represent. Once I have the proper request, then we shall meet and discuss what you wish to speak to me about.�

She put the boar into her mouth. With the empty fork, she dismissed the representative. Li could see the conflict in him, be it his eyes or body language. For a brief moment, she thought he would respond. Instead he turned away and stalked out of the Common Room. Skena and Rhiannon were aghast.

�What a moron!� Li shook her head. Then she realized what bothered her about his eyebrows. �He plucks his eyebrows. Now that is telling.�

�What are you doing?� Skena whispered. �He is a member of the Reachtas. It is bad enough you have angered the Order. Now this? What next?�

�No concern of mine, in the end.� Li noticed they had become the centre of attention in the room. She laughed.

�Li!� Her friend grabbed her hand before she could take another bite. �What is happening to you?�

�I�ve had enough.� She paused, knowing she was going to add to her friends� shock. �And I will be gone in a day, so I have no interest in what this representative wishes to do or say.�

Rhiannon and Skena erupted. Li waited for them to calm down.

�I know it is short notice.� She nodded to the door. �And as you can see, I have garnered interest I wish not part to be of. As tomorrow wanes and the new day starts, I will be leaving.�

�You can�t!� Skena protested. Before she could respond, Skena glared at her. �I know you were planning to leave. But you can�t do this! How can I plan a proper send off?�

Li smiled, touched. �After your shift, tonight, we will. Just the three of us.�

�But what of Keelta, Anwas, ...�

�No,� Li interrupted. �There are only two people I wish to say goodbye to properly. And they are here. For the rest, I do not care.�

�What of Buino?�

�I do not want him anywhere near me.� She saw the reaction. �I will explain, tonight.�

�You have a lot of explaining to do. You have always been quiet, in the shadows. The past few days you are acting like someone else. Some might say possessed.� Skena shook her head.

Li laughed. �Maybe I have finally found my voice. I have a reason to stand up.�

�But against the Order? Now a representative of the Reachtas? Are you aiming to stand up to everyone?�

�Only to those who do not treat us with respect.� Li looked directly at Rhiannon and Skena. �Aren�t you tired on how people like Teyrnon treat us? Or Bla�? We are not cattle.�

�This is Buino speaking,� Rhiannon commented.

�Not is isn�t. Buino is just talk as I found out. He does not have a backbone to stand up to anyone.�
Rhiannon giggled. �I�m not surprised.�

�I know it seems out of sorts. You have no idea how it was dealing with the court druid. In some ways, when the King defended me, supported me, it gave me some strength. And since I�m leaving, who cares?�

Skena�s eyes narrowed. �It isn�t wise to burn your bridges, Li.�

�I am inconsequential, in the end. After a turn or so, they will not remember me. And when I return, they won�t remember who I am.� Li shuddered, remembering the mirror. If it was true, I won�t be back.

�I�m not so sure.�

�Bla� will be gone,� Li waved to the door. �Teyrnon will be embroiled in whatever plots he is hatching. I�m not that important.�

�I�m not so sure.�

Li continued eating her food. �Tonight, the three of us celebrate at the Boar. Which we will finish tomorrow.�

�Pardon?�

�Before I leave, tomorrow, I want one more drink with my two best friends. Just you two.�

�But we have tonight,� Skena protested.

Li pushed her plate aside. �I know you too well. As the new day starts, you�ll make sure it isn�t just the two of you.�

--------------------

Kynan looked at Li, coyly, he handing her a cowhide pouch. �A�fe said you should have this. It may aid you in your journey.�

Confused, Li accepted it. As she opened the pouch, a small white pearl rolled into her palm. Energy pulsed from it. Quickly she slipped it back into the pouch.

�Does it have a special meaning?� The young runner asked.

�One always needs extra help when one journeys.�

Kynan nodded. �It might fetch a few coins. But you will not be for want in Tuaim Inbhir.�

�Pardon?� Li fought back fear. What does he know of my plans?

He pulled back. �Don�t worry. No one knows. I�ve said naught.� The words came out faster than fat rain drops falling during a thunderstorm.

�What do you know?� Li tried not to be sharp.

�Not much. Honest! Just what my aunt told me.�

�Your aunt?�

Kynan�s head bobbed up and down. �She said she sent word ahead to my ma. She said someone had to watch out for you.�

Realization dawned on Li. All she could do was laugh. �By the fates! A�fe warned me.�

�About?� The young runner frowned.

�Your aunt. And your mother.�

�They mean no harm. Honestly ...�

Li gently touched Kynan�s face. �I know. I know.�

A pink blush came to his boyish face. �It is just our way.�

�And I appreciate that. I�m just so used to being surrounded by vipers.� Li paused. �All I ask is you keep this to yourself around here.�

�Of course. It isn�t just my ma I answer to. A�fe can be quite fearsome.�

�So I can see.�

�But why have you stirred up a hornet�s nest?�

�The journey in front of me may be for naught. Or it can shake the court. There are some who seem to want to stop me.�

�Are you in danger, as my ma suspects?� His innocence touched her.

�Someone once told me that living is dangerous.� Li laughed again. �You�ve seen a bit of the court. As you said, I have caused a bit of a stir.�

Kynan rolled his eyes. �I know. As Bla� left this morning, he was bleating about you.�

�Left this morning?� Li was surprised.

�Yes. He was summoned back to the Isle. Taliesin placed A�fe as the interim court druid. Bla� was going on that you could do magick and you were not who people thought you were. Much like what Buino ...�

�What did he say?� Li frowned.

�Nothing of import.�

Li put her hand under Kynan�s chin, forcing him to look at her. �Kynan, I have been honest with you. Be honest with me. No secrets, please.�

�It is not of import. In the end, it was but a small fist-a-cuff.� Kynan�s eyes widened as he spoke the last words.

�Tell me, Kynan!�

There was a moment of indecision. �He is an arrogant git. And pompous.�

�And what did he do?� Li insisted.

�He ... he said you were ... were leaving because ... well ... because you could not handle a real man like him.�

Li broke into a spasm of laughter. �I do not believe it.�

�I couldn�t sit idly by.� He said defiantly. �He was disparaging your honour. You are not that kind of woman.�

�You do not know me.�

Kynan shook his head. �I saw the way you spoke of S�danta. I�ve seen you in the Gored Boar. What Buino described sounded like a wanton harlot that runs away when they are spurned. That is not you.�

His eyes locked with Li�s. �You would not have defended the parishioner from the Refuge. You would not have had Eigyr send Simias to warn the vicar.�

�How do you know all of this?�

�A�fe.�

Li groaned. Things were getting too complicated.

�I told this to Buino just after the zenith, in the changing room.�

�Let me guess. He dismissed it.�

�Yes! Then he called me a stupid child. He said I knew nothing about women. Then ... then ...� His voice cracked.

�And?� She gently insisted.

�It is of no consequence.� Kynan said forcefully. He pulled away from her. �You have the letter of introduction from the vicar. The coins from the Princess. And the pearl from A�fe. I have done my duty. I ask you leave.�

Kynan started for the door. A moment passed, Li sorting the sudden change of events. She reached him before he was at the door.

�No, Kynan. Finish what you were saying.�

�This has naught to do with you.� Tears filled his eyes.

�But it does have to do with you. Please tell me.�

�Why?�

�Am I not now part your clann? If Curcog and your mother are concerned about me, isn�t it right I be concerned about you?�

�There is no need for that. I�m not asking ...�

�Kynan!� Li was stern. �What did Buino say or do?�

He took a deep breath. Li could see the conflict in his eyes.

�Buino is a braggart and stupid. He is of no consequence.� Li continued.

�You are wrong!� The vehemence took Li aback. �Many listen to him. That is why I had to strike him. People believe what he says. I can�t have anyone believing I am a doul! Just him saying that without defending myself would make the rest believe that.�

�Oh.�

The young man�s eyes grew fierce. �I work hard! I�m good at what I do! I am! Someone like Buino with his words can destroy me. By standing up to him will show the others I am not a doul!�

Li felt the emotion raging through the young man. She wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tightly.

�You are who you are.�

Kynan tried to pull away but she would not let him. �You don�t understand.�

Passionately Li held on. �I wish we had more time to get to know each other. What I have seen so far is you are good person ...�

�I�m not.� He slumped in her embrace. �I am a disgrace.�

Li pulled back, staring the young man in the eyes. �Don�t say that! What I have heard, you are an exemplary young man. And I�ve seen it! Agreed your actions with Buino was a little misguided.�
�But with what he was saying, I had to stand up ...�

�I can see that but violence is not the best solution,� Li interrupted. �I know you were defending yourself. Yet there are times you need to know what battles are worth fighting. Honestly, this is one not worth coming to blows over.�

�But I had to do something.�

�I suppose that is part of growing up,� Li shook her head. �Do you know how many times I wanted to strike Bla�? Hit the rotter? Strangle his thin little neck?�

Kynan started to smile. �From what I have heard, I am surprised you never did.�

�I understand that striking out when you feel like it gives you release. But it is only for that moment. After what you did, now you have to be cautious. For every action, there is a reaction. With that you did, now Buino will want to exact revenge. He is a spiteful man.�

�I can take care of myself,� Kynan said proudly.

�I know you can. Just be cautious. As you know, whispered words can be quite powerful here in the court.� She wanted to say more but knew he wouldn�t hear her.

�I suppose,� he paused. �But what of you?�

Li laughed. �If your mother is anything like Curcog, I have nothing to worry about.�

-----------------------------------

The marble hallway gleamed in the sunlight coming from the long skylight. She had never been in this part of the castle complex before.

Each of the eight Houses had a suite in the small arm along the Escarpment. Usually the heads of each House resided in their province but when they were in D�n Su�bhn�, they were afforded the appropriate comfort. Four doors lined the corridor, on either side. They were identical save a pewter door knocker adorned with the Houses�s herald.

The hawk of Gwefldn stood across the hare of Tadgh. The long bow of Liath and the rose of Rhyawdd came next. Li shuddered when she saw the iron fist of Niamh. It stood in contrast to the swan of Hydwn. The last two doors had the fox of Cadwr and the eagle of Gwilenhin. A pull on the knocker garnered a quick response.

Decair opened the door. He was wearing a olive green silk shirt and beige trousers. His long chestnut hair hung freely about his head. She noticed a sharp scar on his left cheek bone. His brown eyes glittered with emotion.

�Come in, come in.� He said effusively.

The first part of the suite was a sitting room, decorated heavily in cherry-wood. Two Arianrhod chairs were in a corner, by a round table. Two crystal goblets stood on the table.

�You will excuse my boldness but I decided perhaps some wine would be more appropriate than tea.�
Decair lead Li to the sitting area. His skin was tanned.

�I returned a fortnight ago from a expedition to Scid. I found some most amazing wines there. They have their vineyards growing on the side of the volcano.�

�I see.� Let him do the talking. I�ll see where this leads me.

Decair pulled out a chair for her to sit in. Generously he pushed it under her. He walked around the table. As he sat down, she noticed a pewter bucket filled with ice and a decanter in it. He noticed her looking at it.

�Ah, yes. I found this also on Scid.� He pulled it up to the table. Li noticed it wasn�t a standard pail; the shape and ornate bas-relief figures made it different.

�It is such a simple idea I am not surprised someone hasn�t thought about it before.� He pulled out the decanter.

�There is a special lining in here to keep the ice from melting too quickly. This keeps the wine cold during any occasion.�

�That is a good idea.�

�Hopefully I will be getting a shipment of these in within a turn. I believe there is a market for it.�
Decair poured some white wine into Li�s glass, then his. �And I hope I will have some casks of these wines. Totally unique.�

�I didn�t realize a delegation had been sent to Scid.�

�I�m not surprised. With all that has been happening here, our little troupe would not be part of the court gossip.�

He lifted his glass. �To better times.�

�Pardon?�

�You have to excuse my boldness. I am not one for small talk to idle chit-chat.�

Decair�s glass hung in the air, waiting for Li. When she did not pick up her glass, he shrugged and took a sip.

�I suppose you are right to be distrustful. There are many games being played in the court. You do not, often know, who is the master of the pegs and who are the pegs. You wisely stayed above the boards.� He paused. �That is until recently.�

�I see.� Li did know what to say. She decided to let him continue.

�As you are starting to see, politics can be nasty. We all have our agendas. Some are more forthcoming than others. Do you play any card games? Like twenty-one?�

�Yes? Why?�

�I, unlike others in the court, prefer playing the variation where all the cards are visible save your first card. Even playing field, I say. But there are those that like to play where most of their cards are not visible.�

�I see.�

Decair put down his glass. �That is why I asked to see you. You are venturing into dangerous territory. Certain people are starting to look at you, become interested in your quest. Looking for gain.�

�I don�t know what you are talking about.� Li grew worried. What does he know?

�Please, don�t patronize me. We know that you always believed that King S�danta had a wife and son when he escaped. And now you wish to prove it. Do you realize what this could do to the court if you are right?�

�No.� Li lied.

�It could affect the throne. Affect ascension.�

�How? Princess �de is the oldest. She has reached majority. The crown is hers. Next is Neued, then Pryderi. If S�danta had a child away from here, he is but a lad. So he is not a threat to ascension.�

�Yes, �de has a good head on her shoulders. But I would not want to see either Neued or Pryderi ascend. Neued is hot-blooded. He see plots everywhere. He is obsessed with the Houses Dispossessed. If he were King, he could take us into a ruinous war. And for Pryderi, he cares not for the throne. He only thinks of his own comfort and what the Su�bhn� name gives him. He spent all the time we were in Scid drinking and carousing.

�The House Cadwr has always been true to the House Su�bhn�. If S�danta sired a son, it could be used by the wrong people. Especially the Reachtas.�

�Why?�

�We speak of games, do you know the game of fidchell?�

�Yes.�

�To be a good player, you must look ahead, anticipate future moves. It is no different here in the court. S�danta�s possible son may be but a lad, but we do not know of when �de�s ascension will be. Did you ever consider his age?�

�Whose?�

�The son.�

Li shrugged. �No.� The thought intrigued her.

Decair took another sip of wine. �We are now in 949. S�danta was returned here three cycles ago. He escaped six cycles earlier. 940. So his son could be between three to nine cycles old.�

�Yes.� Where is he going with this?

�Cobhthach is hale. I see no problem with him on the throne for at least thirty cycles.�

�Agreed.� And?

�Then his son will be a man. And have a claim on the throne.�

Li laughed, shaking her head. �You speak of too far in the future for me to even comprehend. I don�t think even the druids of the Order dare predict the future so far in advance.�

�My dear, you don�t understand the politics of the court. People are constantly looking at potential threads of time.� Before Li could respond, Decair put his hand up.

�Let me finish what worries someone like myself. It is the republican movement. It may be small but it has strong roots. That is one of the reasons we went to Scid.

�Some of us fear the King is not strong enough to stand up to them, as his father did. Before his madness, he struck a balance that kept the republican sentiment at bay. King Cobhthach is a different man. He may not be as strong. Or wily.�

Li sat back, sighing. �Again, S�danta�s son has naught to do with this. He is not here.�

�Yes. But what if he were forced here, like S�danta was?�

The question bore into Li. She had never considered what might happen if she found Medyr. He will come as a friend and mentor. I had my eyes on Medyr but he is a mere morsel compared to you. Yet the Blood and Stone have become ensconced on Nico. The memories crowded her mind.

�Are you alright?� Decair looking concerned.

�Yes.� Li said meekly, as she leaned forward. �But there is the Order. They would educate him, like the King�s children.He would be like them.�

�That is quite provincial.�

Li bristled at the comment. �I beg your pardon?�

�I meant no insult,� Decair blurted. �Only those of the court know of the veneer of the Order. Yes, they advise the House Su�bhn�, but they are just another faction here in the court. They do not have an iron grip on the court. There are many subtle voices in the court. Even you have seen it.�

�I have?�

�You spent quite some time with your comrade, Buino, listening to his words.�

Li sat back, confused. �What about him?�

�He is the son of the illustrious representative that came to see you today. He speaks the words of the republic to people like you, hoping to find fertile soil.�

�I ... I ...� Li stuttered. The shock froze her mind. She looked away from Decair, to the glass of wine. Sunlight sparkled on the different facets of the goblet.

�As you can see, many games are being played here in the court.�

She looked back at Decair. �And what game are you playing?�

He smiled, tilting his head toward her untouched glass. �Please, try some of the wine. I am curious for your opinion.�

�I don�t give a damn about your wine.� Li growled. �What game are you playing here?�

�An obvious one.� He leaned back in his chair, his hands in the air, palms up. �I do not want the son of S�danta found. I want that chapter closed and forgotten.�

�Why?�

�Do you think I want a republic to form here, like in Scid? None of the minor Houses want that. What power and influence we have would be lost.� Decair paused.

�That is the obvious reason. The not so obvious reason is Nico and Esg�n. The sustained peace we have had over the past cycles is because of the stability of Llangeinwen. They only attack when we are unstable. I fear what you want to do will bring that instability. The Houses Dispossessed wait until we fight amongst ourselves before they attack.�

�You see much in one lad.�

�Just one person can change the future of a nation. You know your history. Look at Llacheu.�

�This is different,� Li said, defiantly. �I cannot go against S�danta�s wishes.�

�His wishes?�

She regretted what she had said. �It is not of import.�

�Did he tell you something? A reason why it is important to find his son?� Eagerness laced his words.

�Not as you may think it may be.� Thoughts furiously crashed about. She had to find a convincing reason without revealing the truth.

�So he did say something as he died!� Decair leaned forward. �What is so important?�

�It is not as you think.� She grabbed her goblet and gulped some wine. She was taken aback by the flavour. A sharp earthiness filled her mouth. It was not like any wine she had tasted before. Decair smiled, seeing her reaction.

�Yes, it is different, isn�t it?�

�Yes.� Li drank some more. She had to move the conversation away from Medyr. �I like it.�

�The vintners told me it was because of the soil along the volcano. It imparts a unique flavour to the grapes. If you want, I can give you a skin for your travels.�

Li choked on some wine. Decair shook his head. �I suspect you will tell me nothing. Which is fine. But I will tell you that you are about to embark on a dangerous journey.�

�So I�ve been told.�

Decair sighed. �I know you have no reason to trust me. But you cannot just disappear. The island is too small. There are too many eyes looking at you. And they have ears to hear things.�

�Then they will be disappointed,� Li said. She knew what she had to do. �My sole purpose is to make sure S�danta�s son is safe. That is all.�

�That is all?� A passionate look grew in Decair�s eyes.

�He warned me the court was not a place for his son.� The lies grew comfortable. �As he was dying, S�danta asked me to make sure his son was safe and away from the court. He did not want him brought back to the court, like he was.�

Li was surprised at how simple it was to weave the story for the head of the House Cadwr. From his reaction, she had given him what he wanted.

�That is wise. So you won�t tell the lad of his parentage?�

�By the fates, no! I think you made it perfectly clear why he should not know of his father.�

Decair smiled. �I am pleased with the turn of events. I envy your loyalty. I wish more people here in the court were like you.�

Li took another sip of her wine. �Maybe people should not think of games but of people. We are not pegs on a game board.�

�So it is said.�

------------------------------------------

�You are here early,� Eigyr grumbled as Li walked into the Boar.

�Do you ever leave?�

Eigyr shrugged. �Helig is ill. So I have to cover for him.�

He started to pull a bitter. �So you stirred up a pot, haven�t you?�

�What do you mean?�

�It is the talk of the town. How you stopped a conspiracy.�

�Pardon?�

Eigyr put the flagon in front of Li. As she took out her change purse, he shook his head.

�From now on, it is on the house.�

Li stared at him, agog.

�You could have ignored what was happening. You could have let that vag ... man be. But thanks to you, those families are still safe.� Eigyr laughed. �Even safer now because everyone seems to know of their plight. You have no idea of the outpouring that has happened over the past while.�

�Outpouring?�

�I passed by the cathedral just after zenith. People were bring food, clothing, toys, you name it to the church. All to help those families. Gaible brought her stuffed dragon there.�

Tears filled Li eyes. She knew how much Gaible cherished the dragon she and Skena had given her. It was something that had helped her during the dark times; breaking away from her ex-husband.

�She hopes the charms that dragon has will help one of those in the cathedral.�

�I hope so too,� Li said in a low voice.

�So much for leaving quietly,� Eigyr commented.

�It looks like the fates are against me.�

�Fegs!� Li jumped at Eigyr�s exclamation. He was looking at the door. Her gaze moved, seeing Buino entering the public house.

�If you want, I can have him removed.�

�No.� Li watched as Buino swaggered into the pub. His long black hair was pulled back into a top knot. When he saw her, a dismissive look came to his face. He strode up to her.

�So I hear you are leaving.� He drawled.

�What of it?� Li kept her voice calm.

�So you are giving up?� Accusation edged his words.

�No. I am moving on. There isn�t much left here for me.�

Buino laughed. �You stir up a hornet�s nest and then run. Why am I not surprised?�

�If I was running, would I make my leaving so public?�

The question gave Buino pause. �So why are you leaving?�

�Li�s leaving is none of your business.� Eigyr snarled.

�I was not talking to you.�

Before Li could interject, the barkeep leaned forward, his face dark. �Save I could have you barred from here and several other places, a word from me can make those dice of yours grow cold.�

Buino�s eyes grew wide. Li fought from smiling.

�Eigyr is right.� Li tried to take control of the situation. �I do not answer to you. I never have.�

Buino�s eyes darted from Eigyr to Li. He took a deep breath as he compose himself.

�I just thought ...�

�No,� Li smiled. �It is not as you think. It has nothing to with men, especially you.�

�Oh, really?� His swagger returned.

�It would be so easy to dismiss me by having some man leading me away from D�n Su�bhn�. So you can walk about the court, chest puffed, telling your friends I was just trouble. Not giving you what you wanted.�

Before Buino could answer, Li waved her hand around the area. �Yet there are enough men here that could fulfil me. More than you ever could.�

Buino stared at her, aghast. He tried to speak but could not find the words.

�All you have to offer is a semi-stiff member that would satisfy but part of me.� She shrugged as Eigyr snorted. Buino flashed him a glare.

�Yet your mind is filled with pegs and dice. All you see are games and how we fit in them. You have no idea what you are missing.

�You have no idea what I could offer you.� He spoke through clenched teeth.

�If you say so.�

�You won�t find anyone like me.�

Li chuckled at the arrogance. �Suffice it to say I have found someone that can stimulate me in ways you could not comprehend.�

There was a pause. �Then again, I doubt it. I now have someone who embraces me. For me. Yet demands much from me. But there isn�t much more for me to say because I speak of things you could not fathom. Especially since your life is but games and what hangs between your legs.�

�Who ... who ... how ... dare you?�

Li waved her hand at Buino, dismissing him. �Go and impress the wenches of the court. And those friends who don�t know who you really are. I have more important things to attend to.�

He stared at her, speechless.

�And,� Li pointed her index finger at Buino. �You will stay away from Kynan.�

�And why should I do that?� He snarled.

�Well, Buino ap Teyrnon, I would say you are in a delicate situation.�

Buino blanched. A gasp came from Eigyr.

�Oops, that isn�t something you wanted to be known, was it?�

�You hypocritical piece of offal!� Eigyr growled.

Li motioned toward the barkeep. This was her moment.

�I�m learning about this game, learning fast. I forget the colour of that peg in fidchell you have to watch out for. You know, the one that can change.�

Satisfaction filled her as Buino turned away, bolting from the public house. What did I ever see in him?


© 2008 Loekie


Author's Note

Loekie
Being a major revision of the first draft, I am looking for everything - grammar, POV problems, plotting issues. This is new material, that is draft 0. And please note, spelling is Canadian not American so don't point the differences. Hit me with your best shot!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

458 Views
1 Review
Added on March 15, 2008
Last Updated on March 18, 2008


Author

Loekie
Loekie

Montreal, Canada



About
Growing up, I never saw myself as a storyteller. But looking back, I see the seeds. I would build complex models with my Lego or Mecano, each with a story to tell. When I played with my Tonkas, Dinkey.. more..

Writing
Drawn Drawn

A Story by Loekie