OV - The Throne

OV - The Throne

A Chapter by Loekie
"

The first chapter of the second section of A House Fractured. 25 years has passed since Darkness Looming. A critical junction is being reached that will change Llangeinwen forever. Told from the point of view of Queen Ide.

"
Queen �de slowly handed the sheaf of parchment to Kynan, her chamberlain. She ran her index finger along the tip of her mouth. There was a slight nod from Kynan as he folded the tip of the right corner. The vellum was placed on a pile.

The petitioner, a farmer from D�n Delgan bowed lowly before returning to his seat. There were times �de did not understand people. The Brehons had been thorough and fair in their decisions on his complaint. Yet he still used the MidSummer proceedings to gain what he believed he was owed. It is his right to do so but did he think I would think any different? At the end of the day, the dog-eared petitions would finally say no.

She looked about the full audience room. It wasn�t surprising to see the room crowded since the sun rose to heavy rains. As long as she could remember, if the day started with inclement weather, the curious onlookers increased. If MidSummer started sunny, the room would only have the petitioners and a few viewers. The wet stain glass told her the rain had not subsided. I hope it lets up soon. We could use a good celebration. Kynan started to read some proclamations.

�de glanced to her left. A raised eyebrow stopped her son from biting on his finger. Aillil shifted in his chair, uncomfortable. His long black hair was pulled back in a single knot but still looked chaotic. She recognized the glazed look of boredom.

She felt sorry for him, eleven cycles old, chained to a dais for a tedious, incomprehensible ceremony. Yet politics demanded he be seen; the people needed to see the Heir Presumptive. At least it is only a few ceremonies. You still have a couple of cycles to be young.

Aillil�s proper training would not start for another two cycles. Only then the hard mantle of the throne would truly impinge upon his life. Something she did not want to pass on. There were so many times she wished she had never ascended to the throne. It would have given her a quiet life; a life to do tapestries. How I miss my weaving!

And it would be the same for Aillil, whatever hobbies he might enjoy over the next few cycles. A refuge one vows never to let go of but have to because of the demands of being regent. Slowly one stops doing what one loves because of more important things vying for your attention. In the end, dust gathers on the loom. �de sighed. Now politics would affect Aillil�s life.

�As always, your analysis is impeccable.� �de dropped the report on her desk.

�But you do not agree.�

�Fr�ge is being prepared. She knows what is expected of her. Aillil is but a boy.�

�That is part of our evaluation.� A�fe put down her goblet. �But what we propose does not alter too much.�

�Pardon?� The Queen scoffed. �Fr�ge was eased into the transition. She was fostered. Her elevation to Heir Presumptive took time. This will thrust the mantle of the throne on Aillil. He will not have a chance to be a young man.�

�As you see, what changes are in a cycle or two. Right now, his schooling will change but a little. Being part of the principle ceremonies is a small sacrifice.�

�Tell that to an eleven cycle old on MidSummer.� �de�s voice grew cold. �Instead of being out and about D�n Su�bhn�, enjoying the start of a new cycle, he will be cloistered with me. In ceremonies he knows naught about.�

�I have a son,� the court druid said slowly. �I would not want Ith in this position. Nor would my husband, Forbay. But I do not have the demands on my shoulders as you do. And your family.�

The Queen pursed her lips, not responding.

�You have the option to reject our proposal. That is all it is. We just advise.�

�de looked out to the barbican. The summer sun was bright. Slowly her gaze turned to the unused loom, strands of wool still strung.

�This means Aillil will not be fostered.�

�It is still possible. But it cannot be with the sidh�. It would have to be with one of the Houses.�

�We cannot give the new vicar more to pontificate about, can we?�

A dark look crossed A�fe�s face. �It has naught to do with him or his rhetoric. His training must be for the throne. And alas, Midh�r would not be able to provide that.�

�There is one option I could consider.�

A�fe�s brow furrowed. �No, Sire. You know that is not an option. For right now. Do you wish to have Llangeinwen become like Scid?�

The Queen shuddered at the thought, Cycles ago, Scid had been a beacon for the republican movement. But as the government and economy grew unstable, the island was plunged into a violent civil war. Her father�s alliance with Scid ended disastrously.

�You are right. That is not an option.� �de looked at the report. �And yes, I see a marriage between Fr�ge and Sawan making sense. An alliance with R�s would be beneficial and that would make Aillil the Heir Presumptive for Llangeinwen.


The Queen looked about the audience room. But change was needed. The number of homeless shelters was increasing. The demand for public assistance was growing, as she saw from the budget request from the Reachtas. More parents were being forced to work to support their families. Less people were working the land, searching for something in the cities. The hardships voiced by the people fuelled the small republican movement. Something needs to be done. And the principle cause sits before me.

Her gaze fell on Febhal ap Mabon, the new vicar of the Refuge of the Redeemer and the next petitioner. He was one of the two major thorns in her side; her brother being the other. Febhal sat before her exuding his self-righteousness that always came out when he was expounding at the pulpit. �de felt he believed he was superior to them. There were times he dared to look directly into her eyes.

And now she had to accept his investiture as the new head of the episopate of Llangeinwen. She wanted to reject Febhal but could not; the petition was ceremonial. The vicar was protected by the Principles and Rights, so the trouble he was formenting could not be addressed by her.

From the onset he cause problems. Febhal arrived five cycles earlier, just after her father died. The official communique from the Magisterium stated he was sent to help Vicar Saar who was getting on with age.

She knew better from the reports she received from the Order. The Magisterium, for cycles, had been trying to remove Saar from his post. His moderate voice went against the orthodox stance of the Council of Nine. Febhal was their attempt to bring the church back into the fold and spy on Saar. Immediately his rhetoric caused rippled about D�n Su�bhn�.

�You must not judge him too hard, Sire. He does have the right to speak.�

�de looked at Saar, stunned. �Did you hear his last sermon? He suggested that the sidh� may dangerous to our children.�

�And he is right, as he sees it.�

�How can you say that?�

�His voice is different than mine.� The vicar poured a splash of Craigmh�r into his snifter. �He represents the orthodox view of my religion.�

�Which is trying to silence you.�

�Ah, so true. Trying.� He took a sip. �Don�t judge Febhal too hard. He is a good man. He believes. Maybe just a little misguided.�

The stubborn vicar frustrated the Queen. �You have to stand your ground. Fight.�

�No I don�t.� Saar smiled. �I appreciate your concern but it is misplaced. My belief keeps me strong in adversity. Fighting is not the way. Actions are.�


�So true,� she whispered. When Kynan looked at her, from the proclamation, a subtle shake of her head let him know to ignore her.

Three turns ago, Saar had be recalled to the main episcopate in Aeron. The Magisterium had issued a statement that due to his age, Saar was retiring from public service. The churches of Llangeinwen would be given to younger hands.

Yet �de knew better. A�fe obtained details that the moment Saar arrived in Aeron, he was arrested on heresy. She read the transcript of the trial, disgusted by the miscarriage of justice. The Magisterium stripped Saar of all privileges and cast him out.

Through the Order, �de was able to get Saar back to Llangeinwen. Their magick was able to transport him without the knowledge of the Magisterium. The sidh� of Caer Eryri were more than happy to accept him into their fold. The last she had heard, Saar was finishing a treatise exposing the flaws in some of the orthodox D�aist doctrine. She looked at Febhal directly in the eyes. Let�s see what you have to say about then. Febhal looked away.

�de wondered if the new vicar felt any guilt for what he had done. The moment Saar boarded the ship to Larn�, Febhal started to make changes. Joint projects with the Order were cancelled. He was the voice of orthodoxy; the church had to be rebuilt. Saar�s moderation allowed immorality to seep into the fabric of Llangeinwen.

One of the frustrating aspects of his rhetoric was his withdrawal from the social programs Saar had built with the Order. He told her, with an arrogant tone, that he could not participate, in good conscience, in programs that did not share his faith. He had promised he would introduce new programs, which had yet to appear.

And his words were having an impact. If he was but a voice at the pulpit, she would not be concerned. But his words were filtering into different areas of the court. Llangeinwen was volatile enough without outside interference. Conservative minded members in the Houses and Reachtas were being drawn to him. He was being invited to speak to different members. She noticed some of his themes started to echo in the rhetoric of a small minority in the Reachtas and House Niamh.

The most troubling undercurrent was Febhal�s attacks on the sidh�. Lately his sermons were becoming a flashpoint between the cultures. She had three Brehons trying to find a reason she could use to deport him.

She had hoped the legal experts might find some lawful tracts that might qualify his sermons as hate; find precedents so she could reject his petition. They found nothing that could be used. Even the sidh� tried to find authorities. His words were to vague to attack.

�He is stoking popular misconceptions.� Midh�r picked up a porcelain teapot. The chieftain of Caer Eryri poured her some tea.

�It is not misconceptions,� �de corrected. �He is right, within his narrow mindset.�

�Sounds like you agree with him.�

�No!� The Queen snapped. �But your beliefs do go against the basic tenets of the D�aist doctrine.�

�Orthodox doctrine.� Midh�r corrected.

�Agreed. Those like Febhal promote marriage as a sacred institution that exists only between one man and one woman. You, yourself, have two wives.�

�Quite true. And mayhap a third. Yet Saar does have some interesting points to say that Febhal seems to wish to ignore. It is the same for his rants on same-sex couplings. I think we are more faithful to our tenets than he is.�

�The issue is that his words are resonating with some people.�

The chieftain picked up his teacup. �Is that why you cannot foster your son with us?�

�de looked away. The large windows of gave her a breathtaking view of the sea.

�We have always been honest with each other.� Midh�r commented.

�It is not that simple.� She looked away from the peaceful view. �You know of the plans for Fr�ge. Any fostering of Aillil is now focused on him to be King.�

�And we cannot provide this?�

�No.�

Midh�r ran his finger over his lips. �Being regent of Llangeinwen is more than court protocol and which cutlery to use when.�

�I know that!� �de said fiercely. �And you know that! The tensions are high in the court. My brother is causing dissension in the military. Febhal is emboldening a vocal minority. I have heard of suggestions to change our civil codes. Possibly amending the Principles and Rights. It is sad to say, but Aillil must see these. And he will not see that fostered here.�

�I understand your difficulties.� Midh�r reached out and gently took her hand. �But I bring this up because I am concerned of the welfare of Aillil. You all too well how growing up in the court can be stifling.�

�Yes.� The Queen admitted.

�Do I need to remind you of your first night here?�

�Fegs, no!� �de groaned. Slowly she shook her head. �I wish I could provide that for Aillil. But I can�t. I know it is important for use to see beyond the House Su�bhn�.�

�I know you do. I hear Aillil has taken an interest in Llacheu.�

She rolled her eyes. �More an obsession.�

�Where else would he learn about his history? See those like Llacheu who are important to both the House Su�bhn� and the Land.�

�You are right. I know this. But in the end, it is not the new vicar. It is Neued. It comes down to my brother.�


Anger rose in �de, thinking of Neued. He refused to be part of the MidSummer ceremony, partly because of the new vicar. He said he had more important things to address than be part of the farce.

There was a pause as Kynan reached down to pick up the next set of proclamations. She heard a snap; Kynan�s shirt opened as a button flew off. A yellow-orange opal swung out. Frantically, her chamberlain grabbed at it, stuffing it back under his shirt. A flush of embarrassment tinged his cheeks. He straightened to continue with his duty.

�Having someone like Kynan with you only inflames people like Febhal.�

�What?� �de spun around, glaring at her brother.

�He is a boy-lover.� Neued sneered. �He is not a man.�

�How can you say that?� Fury filled the Queen. �S�l is ten cycles his senior. How dare you say these things?�

Neued laughed. �You just don�t see it. We need a strong leader and all you are is a mother. I would never have someone like him as my chamberlain when I rule.�


What her brother had say chilled her. When I rule. From the beginning, when she ascended the throne, Neued was in opposition. As much as she tried, she could not make him see the need for some reform. Their grandfather had started some important changes that required to be continued. Something their father had squandered. Cobhthach had not been a strong king, with vision and direction. All too often he tried to push change without thinking of the consequence; wanting to please everyone. Leaving her with a quagmire of intrigue.

Every decision she made, Neued questioned. Whenever she agreed to a writ from the Reachtas, he would rant about how she was weakening the throne. He looked at the civil arm of the government with disdain. �de lost count how many times her brother commented that the stronger the Reachtas, the weaker the crown. The litany of giving into them and her pacifist dealing with Nico became a daily durge.

Attacks on the northern shores had been increasing over the past few turns. From the beginning, Neued voiced they were Nicosean incursions. But all the information gathered showed the attacks were from pirates based near Nico. There was no evident to support Neued yet he would not be deterred. And the rise of republican sentiment did not help.

�From the reports I am reading, it is become more and more fashionable to wish for a republic. But why is they ignore what happened in Scid?�

�Look about us, Sire. Fashions change so rapidly now. People seem to be ready to put up with everything at once. Often in body and soul. It is to a point we scarcely speak any more of fashion. Nowadays, who can say what tomorrow will bring? It is even to the point who can tell even what today is.�

�Didn�t Esterl say something of that just recently?�

�She did but I do not know if they are her words.� A�fe paused a moment. �It goes something like this. �We are living in an age of capitulation. We allow ourselves to be talked into doing whatever a couple of clever hacks or even one manipulator of a clever vocabulary want to persuade us to do.

��I have now lived attentively through a few historical epochs, or at any rate what are known as �epochs�, but not yet one which has been so dominated by superficial intellectual fashions as present, nor one in which people have so industriously sawn at the branches on which they are sitting.

��Poets against poetry. Philosophers against philosophy. Theologians against theology, artists against art. And it so that now historians or ex-historians are against history lessons.� That is what I believe she wrote.�


Yet her brother was caught up in the fashion of the times. She had to control him. It was important to keep the peace and not plunge Llangeinwen into a ruinous war. But all her brother would do is sit at the Cabinet table, simply quoting Den Yeah Liu to bolster his call to war on Nico. Or other sources about suppressing the voices for a republic. There were times she regretted making him the Minister of Defence.

�de took a deep breath, focusing on her l�r to calm the roiling thoughts. She needed to focus for the new vicar. Many were waiting to hear what he had to say and her reaction. Yet she could not forget it was MidSummer, the start of a new cycle. A time to celebrate the plenty, the longest day. It was a high holiday, a time of festivities.

Kynan finished reading. A signal from her let him know her wishes. The final parchment was placed on the table beside him.

�There will be a recess for five minutes.� Kynan announced to the assembled room.


© 2008 Loekie


Author's Note

Loekie
This was a 12 page chapter expanded into 9 different chapters from different POVs. So it is a raw version, hot off the presses. The key issues is my use of passive voice and grammar. Please keep in mind the spelling is Canadian. Hit me with your best shot.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

417 Views
Added on April 30, 2008


Author

Loekie
Loekie

Montreal, Canada



About
Growing up, I never saw myself as a storyteller. But looking back, I see the seeds. I would build complex models with my Lego or Mecano, each with a story to tell. When I played with my Tonkas, Dinkey.. more..

Writing
Drawn Drawn

A Story by Loekie