OV - The Heir Presumptive

OV - The Heir Presumptive

A Chapter by Loekie
"

The third chapter of the second section of A House Fractured. 25 years has passed since Darkness Looming. A critical junction is being reached that will change Llangeinwen forever. Told from the point of view of Aillil, son of the Queen.

"
Absent-mindedly Aillil ap �de gnawed on a fingernail. Pins and needles prickled his buttocks causing him to shifted uncomfortably in his chair. A scathing glance from his mother stopped his chewing.

The ceremonial vestments were tight on his body. The chair was unpadded. The petitions were long-winded. The pauses between them were intolerable.All he could do was sit and try to look interested.

For the briefest moment he wanted to glare at his mother yet the protocol drilled into him prevented him. Instead Aillil shifted his weight to try to stop the annoying jabs he was experiencing. I hate this!

What galled him the most was that his sister was not on the dais instead him. The court druid, A�fe had explained the situation to him more than once. The last lecture was a fortnight ago, after he was found investigating some old rooms in the castle complex.

�Sire, I understand the want to explore. I have a son.�

Aillil rolled his eyes, folding his arms across his chest. He focused on the druid�s breasts.

�The room are dangerous. Some of the flooring is rotten.�

�I�m careful.� Aillil answered petulantly.

�There are times it seems you do not consider the situation you are in seriously.� Aillil could tell A�fe was cross.

�I do. I am the heir presumptive. I am to be regent. Something that my sister should be.�

�We have spoke of this before. The future for your sister is R�s.�

�If that prince is crazy enough to marry that cow.�

�Sire!� The sharp rebuke made her breasts heave.

�Well? What if the prince says no?�

�Then she will be Queen.�

�So this could be just a complete waste of time.�

A�fe leaned forward, her eyes locking his. �What you are learning will be invaluable. Even if you do not become regent. If Fr�ge ascends to the throne, be it here or elsewhere, these lessons will do you well.�


Aillil did not see what lesson he was supposed to learn listening to people whinging. The petitioners grovelled before his mother, hoping they might get their way.

The last petitioner, a farmer from the D�n Delgan region, wanted to expand his farmstead yet his step-son laid claim to the land. The Brehons had been unanimous in their decisions that the land was not his to claim. When his mother brought up the various decisions, the farmer whinged that the Brehons had no heart. They were not looking at the emotional cost to his family. What he wanted was the Queen to help heal his family.

Aillil could not believe the audacity of the farmer�s petition. It was his actions that were affecting his family. But it seemed that the land was more important. And I�m to learn from this?

It was bad enough to get the lectures from the druids about how important this ceremony was but his mother�s chambermaid joined the chorus. She started nattering on about his role as the future King. He liked Ninov� but she was blinded by the aura of the court.

What am I to do with your hair? Ninov� fussed with the single knot. �I thought this would take care of your difficult hair.�

�It doesn�t really matter.�

�Doesn�t really matter? How can you say that?� Ninov� gave up on his hair, focusing on his clothes. She adjusted his shirt, making it hard to breath. �The petitions of MidSummer are important. This is a time where the common folk can appear to the throne. It shows the Queen, and you, by extension, care about your subjects. And possibly preventing an injustice.�

�But the Brehons interpret the law. Why question their decisions?�

Ninov� adjusted his trousers. There was a sharp pull on his testicles, making him wince.

�They are but human. Mistakes can happen.�

�My mother is human. She could make a mistake.�

�What a silly thought!� Ninov� chided.


Whereas there were a couple of petitions that had the Brehons divided, most looked to his mother to give them what they wanted. They were not getting their way and hoped they might finally get it from her. I hope this doesn�t represent the common folk here. I don�t want to become regent over a group of whiners and complainers, who can�t work out their petty grievances by themselves.

In the end, it was ruining MidSummer. Cian and he had plans. Even with the rain, they could still go to the stalls. There would be stuffed pastries, meat pies, boar carved right off the spit waiting. There were competitions to see and participate in. Cian is mostly likely out there right now, enjoying himself while I�m stuck here.

Aillil glanced to the windows. It looked like it was still raining. I hope it clears by zenith. He had heard that someone from V�aland was bringing a new attraction; a giant balloon that could carry people. Cian told him that it had a gondola attached to it. A fire between the balloon and area for people would fill it with hot air. The idea sounded crazy; something he wanted to see.

He took a deep breath, the tight silk shirt constricted his chest. The sooner I�m out of these absurd clothes, the better. He would be able escape soon. His mother promised the rest of the day would be his to do as he pleased.

At least there is only one petition left once Kynan stops droning. He could see why Llacheu rejected all that the court represented. He was to be King but followed his own path. What would he do in this situation?

Aillil did not know for sure. Over the past couple of turns, he had started to learn about his ancestor. A Su�bhn� who rejected his duty to the court for his duty to the Land. A Su�bhn� who said no to the throne and became a great man. A man who saved Llangeinwen from the False King, bringing an end to the Fell Season. A man that much was written about yet remained a mystery.

�It is understandable, in a time of radical upheavals to have a longing for peace and security. For what seems to be more stable conditions of former times. It is not unusual to have a nostalgia for the apparent pleasant good old days.�

�Pardon?� Aillil stared at the court druid, confused. �All I was doing was just asking about Llacheu.�

�But why?�

�He was a great man. He is part of the House Su�bhn�. Don�t you want me to know of my history?�

�Of course, depending on why. He was a great man, in his rights, but also a Su�bhn� who was to be king but rose to greater heights?�

�So?�

A�fe took a deep breath. �One has to be cautious when one looks back. Be it the literature or illustrated papers. Or the furniture, music and art. And old possessions. One starts to imagine a utopia of a time which did not exist.�

�I am not doing that.� Aillil snapped.

�But it is an easy trap,� the druid continued. �I�ve seen it before. Nostalgia can drain a person. Instead of envisioning a positive future, it draws a person to take refuge in melancholy. Instead of political aggressiveness, it leads to impolitical sentimentality. Instead of an appreciation of finishing techniques, it leads to a taste for old junk. Instead of revolutionary effort, we get dilettantism.�

Aillil rose from his chair. �I have no idea what you are talking about. I just want to know more of my past.�

�Is it just a search for knowledge or an obsession?�


No one seemed to understand his interest save his uncle. They dismissed it as youthful obsession. Neued was the only adult that listened to him, at times, encouraged him.

Ever since his father died over a cycle ago, Neued took special interest in him. He said it was his duty to make sure a masculine influence stayed about him. Clandestinely, his uncle had started to teach him sword craft. And listened to his interest.

Neued placed a snifter in front for Aillil and one across the table. Aillil was curious what his uncle was up to. He went to a large oak cabinet. As the door opened, Aillil saw a large stock of bottles. His uncle�s hand moved about before a decanter was chosen. It was filled with an amber liquid. Neued poured a little in Aillil�s glass while pouring a healthy portion into his.

�I don�t think my mother would approve.�

�Fegs!� His uncle looked about the room. �Is she here?�

�Ah, no.�

�You�re becoming a man, Aillil. And King according to the puppet-masters.� Neued picked up his glass. �Time to step away from the robes of your mother. Like Llacheu.�

Cautiously Aillil picked up his glass. The smell was distinct and earthy. He took a small sip. The liquor was sharp yet warm. He let out a little cough.

�In many ways, you are a much like him. He was in a similar situation and stood his ground. He told his mother and the Order they had no control over him. It could be the same for you.�

�But it is said he was touched by the Blood.�

�It runs strong in our family, Aillil. Who is to say it is not strong in you, like Llacheu. We�ll see in a few cycles, as you come of age. That will be the time you will define yourself and I will be there to guide you.�


Yet events conspired against him. The druids ignored his questions, Master Selyv told him his ancestor was not part of the syllabus. What little time he had before was being eaten by court duties. His one hope was dashed a few days earlier.

�A�fe agrees that for now, your schooling will remain unchanged.�

Aillil shrugged as he focused on the wooden house he was constructing. �I know things will change in a couple of years. Especially after my fostering.�

�Ah, yes.� Aillil heard the hesitation in his mother�s voice. He looked up. �That may also be up for change.�

�What?�

�de smiled, sadly. �With all the changes, you may be fostered with one of the Houses. If you are fostered at all.�

�I�m not to go to Caer Eryri?�

�Not with the current political climate.�

�You can�t do this!�

�I don�t have a choice.�

Aillil stood up, waving his arms. �You are the queen. You are in charge. I don�t want to go to one of the Houses. I want to go to Caer Eryri.�

�We don�t always get what we want, Aillil.�

�I won�t go.� Aillil pouted. �You can�t make me.�

�This is still a cycle or so off,� the Queen sighed. �But we have to be prudent. If this new vicar does not last, mayhap things will be different.�

�Well then banish him. Don�t accept his petition this MidSummer.�

�It is not that simple, son.�

With a surge of his arms, the wooden house scattered about the floor. He glared at his mother, hating her.

�I will not do this. You cannot make me.�

�Oh really?� �de�s eyes narrowed.

�I can walk out of here, like Llacheu.�

The Queen rose from her chair. �Fine. Go ahead. I�ll help you pack.�

Aillil was stunned by his mother�s reaction.

�And where would you go?�

�To the sidh�. Caer Eryri. To find my destiny.�

�I see. And how do you plan to get there?�

�Ah ... well ...� Aillil grew flustered. �By horse.�

�And how do you plan to procure this horse?�

�I�ll go down to the stables and take one.�

�Yet they are only for the royal family.� �de turned her back to Aillil, walking to the window.

�So I can take one!�

�No.� She said firmly. �You wish to walk away from your responsibilities as Llacheu, I will respond as Arianrhod. I will disown you. You will not have the name Su�bhn� to give you what you want.�

�Fine. I�ll get a horse in the city.�

�Really?� Aillil pulled back as his mother turned around. He had never seen her so angry.

�You will have only the coins in your purse. No one will aid you. You will have to gain access to Eryri by your own devices. And at eleven, I would say you don�t have many.

�And if you arrive at the Caer, Midh�r will greet you as just an ordinary citizen of Llangeinwen. Not Aillil ap �de.� The Queen pointed to the door. �Go ahead. I�m tired of your whining and thinking only for yourself.�


Aillil�s gaze turned to one of the objects of his hatred, the new vicar. The more he learnt, the more he knew this man was out to destroy his life. Even though he had a kind face, his words were ruining his life.

He had heard in the court, many people were unhappy with him. The new vicar of the Refuge of the Redeemer was angering different members of the court and the sidh�.

�You have no idea how insidious the new vicar can be.�

Aillil wiped the sweat from his brow with his sleeve as he lowered his wood sword. �What do you mean?�

�The new vicar, Febhal,� Neued spat, �wants to convert everyone on Llangeinwen to his crazy religion. The self-righteous moron stands at his pulpit, condemning much of what we value.�

�A�fe says we should be tolerant of him.�

Neued pointed his wood sword at Aillil. �That is the problem, Aillil! I am tired of hearing about being tolerant. We need to be strong and stand up against what goes contrary to our values. Even worse, he is now meeting with members of the Reachtas. He is plotting to bring down the House Su�bhn�.�

�How is that? The Reachtas is our civil branch, arm, whatever it is called. Meeting people like the new vicar is part of their duty, isn�t it?�

�He is lending a voice to those who want to form a republic.� Neued slammed the tip of his sword against the floor. �I don�t want to burden you with the intricate web of politics but he is a trouble maker. Someone whose mission is to promote his crazy beliefs.�

�But A�fe said the D�aist have done good here.�

�Yes.� His uncle conceded. �Under Saar. I liked him. Febhal is a different creature. He believes his religion is the only right one that should exist. We are talking of a man who honestly believes that the Maker came to R� in human form. He was born of a woman and named D�a. Born of flesh inviolate. And he died three deaths as a sacrifice to the Maker so our sins are forgiven. The Maker is all powerful. Why would He do such a stupid thing?�

Aillil shrugged.

�I feel I am talking to blank faces around here. No one is listening.� The sword tip rose. �That is why you need to be strong. Vigilant. Being in power is not a woman�s job.�

�Are you saying my mother is not doing the right thing?�

�She is trying. But there are times you need to be bold. Strike before being struck. Women always try to mediate. They don�t want to hurt anyone�s feelings.�

�But it is important to find consensus, a middle ground.� Aillil argued.

�Sounds like the druids speaking,� Neued growled. �And another woman. It is bad enough we are bound to the black robes but to have a woman advise my sister. Phah! It will lead to ruin.�

Aillil shook his head. �There are many people who are saying you are wrong. You are being rash.�

Neued laughed. �Fear of strength has permeated the court. We have become a people of committees, treaties and alliances.�

He walked up, putting his hand on Aillil�s shoulder. �Many people covet Llangeinwen. It is a special place in R�. Yet never forget, it is ours. We cannot let the legacy of Su�bhn� be lost.�


�There will be a five minute recess.� Aillil wanted to jump from his chair in glee but waited. A sharp look from his mother reminded him of his place.


© 2008 Loekie


Author's Note

Loekie
This was a 12 page chapter expanded into 9 different chapters from different POVs. So it is a raw version, hot off the presses. The key issues is my use of passive voice and grammar. Please keep in mind the spelling is Canadian. Hit me with your best shot.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

447 Views
Added on April 30, 2008


Author

Loekie
Loekie

Montreal, Canada



About
Growing up, I never saw myself as a storyteller. But looking back, I see the seeds. I would build complex models with my Lego or Mecano, each with a story to tell. When I played with my Tonkas, Dinkey.. more..

Writing
Drawn Drawn

A Story by Loekie