OV - The Observer

OV - The Observer

A Chapter by Loekie
"

The eighth chapter of the second section of A House Fractured. 25 years has passed since Darkness Looming. A critical junction is being reached that will change Llangeinwen forever. Told from the point of view of Li.

"
Li walked through the wall, into the audience room. She expected the room to be full. A rainy beginning to MidSummer brought more curious onlookers than a bright start. The number of petitioners would be unchanged.

The ritual heralded back to Su�bhn�. On the highest holiday of the cycle, common folk could petition the throne directly on a specific grievance. Yet the petitioner knew the decision of the regent was final; no recourse to the Brehons would be possible.

Even though she recognized faces in the crowd, Li focused on the raised dais before her. A petitioner bowed before Queen �de before moving back to his seat. Kynan, her chamberlain put the petition into a pile. She looked at the handsome man, remembering when he was just a runner. He has blossomed.

Li shook her head, trying to focus. Over the past while she was drawn to two people in the castle complex, both sitting on the dais. Medyr sat behind the Queen while Prince Aillil said beside her. A petitioner stood before them, pleading his case.

She did not know fully why she was being drawn to the two men; Li had no idea why she was still about people. All of her life she had been told when someone died, their essence moved on. Yet she had not.

The last clear memory she had was looking out over a fog enshrouded D�n Su�bhn�. The events leading to her death were vague shadows that taunted her; suggestions hinting at why she had not moved on.

For the longest time, she was only thoughts on the wind. She had no form and little sense of self. Yet she knew she had died. How and why were unknown. Over time, thoughts became a faint form. She could see and hear people, draw on their emotions. She was a spectre haunting the corridors of the castle. It was only when Aillil was born and Medyr came to the court Li found her form becoming solid; she was starting to manifest as the druids would say.

Before the Prince was born, as she flitted about the corridors, Li was able to cobble together some of the pieces of the puzzle. She was unreleased. She was many whose souls or spirits do not move on. Something worldly shackled the spirit to the land, preventing release. Over time she learnt an unreleased only found rest when what held them was recognized or resolved. It had been over twenty cycles and she still had no idea.

�I plead for your mercy and grace, your Greatness. The fate of my family is in your hands.�

�You are a moron!� Li shouted. No one in the crowded room reacted. It frustrated her that even though she felt solid, she could not interact with anyone about her. She had learnt not all unreleased could reach that stage.

She had noticed over the past few turns some seemed to sense her presence. More than one person had commented that they had seen something out of the corner of their eye yet nothing was there. They had been talking about her. It gave her hope. One day, someone will be able to help me.

The strangest aspect of being unreleased she found was she could expand her essence and experience what the living around her were going through. It was something she did sparingly; one time she felt herself losing herself. Other times, it had been thrust upon her because of the emotions running about the room. She became a number of people at the same time.

�I be wondering if the rains will let up.� Curcog whispered to a attractive young man sitting beside her.
�All we can do is hope.�

She smiled. �Einion, ye be still a young pup. Filled with hope.�

Li walked away, a warm feeling filling her heart. It was good to see some things had not changed. A popping sound caught her attention. Kynan�s shirt opened. An opal swung out from his chest. Li�s eyes grew wide, recognizing the gem. She rushed to the dais.

�How did you get that? What are you doing with my opal?� A red faced Kynan stuffed the gem back under his shirt. Li whirled around to the crowd.

�Can anyone help me?� To her surprise, two people seemed to notice her, Einion and M�th. She rushed through the crowd, to M�th. Of all people, he can help me. Li reached out and passed her hand close to his cheek.

Instead of reacting, M�th closed his eyes. Li�s hand dropped to her side. This is useless! She was about to walk away when she sensed a stirring in the ealdorf�h. She waited expectantly. When he opened his eyes, she knew he could see her. A faint smile came to her face.

�What is happening? Please help me.�

At first M�th did not respond. Come to me after zenith. His voice filled her head. You will find me at Eigyr�s, above the Boar.

�I will be there. But you need to know ...� She could see her words were not reaching him. She nodded her head. But she needed to let him know. With a raised hand, she pointed to Medyr and Aillil, and then to herself. He needed to know of the connection.

You are connected to them? Li nodded, excited that he understood. Be at peace. I will speak to you soon. She felt hope for the first time in a long while. She reached out and caressed his check.

�Thank you.� M�th nodded with a sigh. She could feel his connection to the Blood ending. She looked back to the two she felt linked to.

Aillil shifted uncomfortably in his chair. She could see the ceremonial clothes were tight on his lean body. Her heart went out to him, knowing he was miserable and bored. She knew he preferred to be about D�n Su�bhn� for the MidSummer festivities.

�You are joking! We had so many plans.�

�No I�m not, Cian.� Aillil snarled. Li laughed, seeing both boys totally dishevelled. She suspected they had been wrestling earlier.

�You�ll be stuck for hours because of the petitions. Isn�t there anything you can do?�

�Don�t you think I tried? My mother won�t listen. She kept on about my duties, my responsibilities. Fegs, I�m just up there for people to see. I�m just a show pony.� Aillil stopped and kicked the stone wall. �At least Kynan came to my defence.�

�That doul? What am I not surprised?� Cian shivered. Li wanted to swat the lad. Anger built in her.

�He is a nice person. I like him.�

�Just be careful. You know how they can be. They look for young ones to pervert.�

Aillil shook his head. �He is in a committed relationship. With someone older than him.�

�You should read some of the tracts my mother has been bringing home.� Cian�s voice dropped. �They expose the truth on what they are really about. What they are doing.�

�Excuse me but your mother reads the Weekly Pronouncements. Which recently had an article that I am half sidh�. That my father really isn�t Starn but Midh�r, the chieftain of Caer Eryri.�

�What if they are right?�

Aillil lashed out, punching Cian in the face. �Not only does such scurrilous lies attack my father, it makes my mother a w***e.�

Li felt a tremor in the Blood. She stared at the furious Prince.

�Calm down, Aillil.� Cian wiped a spittle of blood from the side of his mouth. �Would it really be so bad if your father was Midh�r.�

�That is not the point. It belittles my father. And makes my mother a common trollop. Which is not the truth.�


�Och! Where is her brother?�

Li looked to Curcog, again.

�I have no idea.�

�This does not bode well, Einion. Mark my words.�

The words were true. Li could sense the tension in the air. Several things had changed recently. The first was the amazement when it was announced that Aillil was to be King. The Order, through A�fe, proclaimed that Fr�ge yr �de was not to be Queen, even though she was Heir Presumptive. The declaration caused a firestorm, especially in the Reachtas.

Being a spectre in the complex, she knew it was based on politics and gain. The Prince Regent of R�s was of the same age. For cycles, the two islands had been looking for stronger ties. The Order arranged that Fr�ge would become betrothed to Prince Sawan.

Li stood in the room when A�fe explained to the Queen that the reasons should not be known. The tensions between Nico and Llangeinwen had been increasing over the cycles. The centuries old bitterness dictated the politics of the court. Which had become worse the past six turns because of the Queen�s brother.

Neued had become increasing vocal because of raids on the shipping lanes along the northern shore. Even though all the evidence showed the activity were from pirates, Neued insisted they were being instigated by the Houses Dispossessed. He railed against his sister, complaining her dealing with Nico and Esg�n playing into their hands. Adding to the pressure the Queen was under was the rising of a new republican movement in the Reachtas.

�We need a strong ruler, like Su�bhn�.� Neued shouted at his sister sitting across the round marble table. A few cabinet ministers looked shocked at the outburst. Froech ap Br�ng, one of the Queen�s military advisors rolled his eyes.

�I see.� The Queen said softly.

�Do you know what the people see when they look at the throne?�

�Do tell.�

�A hobbled monarch. One more interested in pleasing the innumerable committees that haunt the marble rooms of the Reachtas. A queen more interested in disgruntle nobles than the common folk.�

Froech snorted, getting a glance from the Queen. She sat back, laughing.

�Really? That is not what I�ve heard. Pray tell, do you have some of those voices to bring to me so I may hear them?�

Neued glared at his sister. Li knew he could not do as she ask.

�I am sorry, brother but when you talk of the common folk, I have a difficult time seeing that.�

Neued leaned forward to respond but a sharp wave of the Queen�s hand stopped him.

�For you, the most common folk you know is the military circle you surround yourself with.�

Froech snickered as Neued�s eyes narrowed.

�I am tired of your endless ranting about the republican movement. I am but continuing what our grandfather started.�

�And your father mishandled,� Ochall ap Loeg, the minister of security muttered under his voice. Li noticed no one seemed to have heard the old man.

�Even from the start, Su�bhn� envisioned an organic state of government. The Reachtas was originally created by Bedyw based on ideas espoused by Su�bhn�.� �de paused. �And are you suggesting Llacheu would do anything to hobble the throne?�

�No.� Neued�s voice was small.

�The movement must be addressed. And acknowledged. Much good comes from those committees you are so fast to dismiss.�

�Just acknowledging them give them strength.� Neued growled. �Look at Scid. The throne courted with the republican movement and what happened? It is now but a decoration, a figure head.�

�Vlasic was a weak leader,� A�fe�s voice was crisp. �He wanted to please everyone and anyone. He ignored all advice from the Order. The reality was he had no interest in ruling. He wanted to fish and collect butterflies. He was more than happy to give the Council power. Last I heard, he was on R�s looking for an elusive yellow-spotted butterfly.�

�I care not for the reason.� Neued dismissed the court druid. �Because of his actions, the republican movement gained control.�

�And?� The Queen arched an eyebrow. �Are you suggesting I am weak like Vlasic?�

Li could sense what Neued wanted to say. He controlled himself. �We are before a slippery slope. If the republican movement were to gain more inroads, it would spell disaster for Llangeinwen.�

�And how is that so?�

�A weakened House Su�bhn� invites the Houses Dispossessed.�

The Queen looked to her court druid, shaking her head. A�fe sighed.

�You have read the reports,� the druid was curt. �None of the three Houses are preparing for any action against Llangeinwen. There is no ...�

A�fe raised her hand, palm toward Neued, stopping his interruption.

�Up to now, all you have provided us is supposition and conjecture. We ask for facts and we get vague statements. I have asked for troop assignments you insist they have yet you provide no numbers.�

A�fe tapped the marble table top with a jade green lacquered fingernail. �The information we support our view is based on public knowledge that can be verified. Not vague reports from spies.�

�Their army stands ready.� Neued snapped. �Their navy has been sighted doing manoeuvres along the west coast of Nico.�

�As they do every cycle at this time,� Froech drawled. �Have you misunderstood the latest assessment report?�

The glare shifted. �I would not say misunderstood, per say.�

�Oh, so what part of the report did you have difficulty with?�

A couple of gasps came from the table. Li smiled; Froech was always one to be blunt and honest.

�I understand the information you presented. Yet not the assessment.�

�Have you not said more than once that our Vanguard ships outclass their latest ships? Have you not also said more than once that we outnumber their fleet?�

��You cannot ...��

�Please do not quote Den Yeah Liu, young pup.�

Neued bristled at the interruption.

�We all know you know his words of wisdom intimately. As you are apt to so often quote them to us. Yet do you know the application of the words?

�The Order has shown, I believe unequivocally that the Houses Dispossessed cannot mount a large invasion. Economically they do not have the resources. Even you know one cannot launch an offensive if you do not have the resources.�

�That is why they are staging the attacks on our northern shore.�


Li looked to Medyr. At first she did not know why she was drawn to him. Yet from the times she spent in his chambers, she learnt he was S�danta�s son; the one she had been seeking. It surprised her that he moved about the court, cloaked. No one knew of his origins. He withheld details, professing a humble heritage.

What S�danta had voiced had not come true. Dalldav had not succeeded in possessing Medyr. Deep in him was a dark stain she recognized. For some reason, Dalldav had transferred to Medyr but was not strong enough to gain control. Was he the reason she was unreleased? To be here to stop Dalldav from growing and gaining control?

What did not make sense was the connection she had with Aillil. As he grew, Li recognized he was some of the images in the mirror. He was the young man on the cliffs, on the gore stained northern beaches with Taliesin. The images were of Aillil but in a few cycles. Am I his protector?

Li moved about the audience room, frustrated. Try as she might, she could not remember anything that had happened in Tuaim Inbhir. That time held the key to her release. It would explain her connections to the Prince and Medyr.

She stopped in front of a tall man sitting in heavy ceremonial vestments. Febhal ab Mabon was the next petitioner, the new vicar of the Refuge of the Redeemer. She stared at his small dark eyes, dislike filling her being.

His disdain for many in the room radiated out from him. The Magisterium has sent him to replace Vicar Saar; bring the flock back into the orthodox view the kindly vicar had fought against. His presence was another source of tension.

�You are but a jellyfish.� She said to him.

Li could not believe the moment Saar left, Febhal dismantled all the programs that benefited the less fortunate people of Llangeinwen. He had to be in control of the programs.

From his podium, he spewed hate under the guise of fighting immorality. What scared Li was people were listening. Many conservative thinkers were being drawn to him. She was glad there was someone who was standing up to him.

�I�m sorry for the subterfuge and clandestine way we had to use.�

Saar laughed as he sat down. �My dear, A�fe, you worry too much. It is quite an experience coming here with that dry ... dry ...�

�Dr�llicgimm. It is the best way to shift.� The druid pointed to a decanter. �Craigmh�r?�

�When do I say no?�

A�fe laughed. She poured a liberal amount into two snifters.

�So why did you need to see me?� Saar asked as he accepted the glass.

�I think you need to reconsider my offer.�

�Why?�

�Things have changed.� A�fe took a deep breath. �Febhal has asked the Council of Nine for help. He warns them of the pocket of resistance that is forming here. And he suspects you are at Caer Eryri.�

�But I am.� Saar teased.

�He has asked for some inquisitors, Saar. And not just to find you. He wants to purge your influence in the monastery.�

�Oh.� Saar grew white. �I see.�

�I spoke to Rience and he is willing to accept you.�

�But M�r is so far away from Tuaim Inbhir.�

A�fe took a sip of her Craigmh�r. �And Taliesin has once again offered a place for you. I understand your trepidation but tensions are high right now. This is for your security.�

�You do not wish to lose your foil against Febhal.�

�I am not that cold and calculating,� A�fe snapped. Li could see she was offended. �I care about you. I do not want to see you in the hands of the inquisitors.�


�There will be a five minute recess.� Kynan announced.


© 2008 Loekie


Author's Note

Loekie
This was a 12 page chapter expanded into 9 different chapters from different POVs. So it is a raw version, hot off the presses. The key issues is my use of passive voice and grammar. Please keep in mind the spelling is Canadian. Hit me with your best shot.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

469 Views
Added on May 3, 2008


Author

Loekie
Loekie

Montreal, Canada



About
Growing up, I never saw myself as a storyteller. But looking back, I see the seeds. I would build complex models with my Lego or Mecano, each with a story to tell. When I played with my Tonkas, Dinkey.. more..

Writing
Drawn Drawn

A Story by Loekie